The Consulting and Advice thread

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
Hello good people of WorstGen!
I was uncertain whether or not I was gonna make a thread solely for my own purpose, or if I could perhaps make this into a fruitful thread for more people than just myself.
The reason that I make this thread was originally because I felt like I knew what I wanted to do, but cannot see a reasonable or feasible way to make it happen.
And so I was thinking I would ask for advice here. But I'm also thinking there are most probably more than just myself who find themselves in a similar plight, and so I thought perhaps I could use this chance to give other people the opportunity to ask people in general for their views and insights as well!

I think, speaking for myself anyway, it doesn't matter if you "know" what you're talking about, but that you maybe have some thoughts or ideas when reading through some of people's plights!

So I'll start with what drove me to write this post in the first place;

I'm sitting here and thinking that I really want to go out travelling. I know the times are how they are right now with Corona and all that monkey business, but despite that I really feel the urge of travelling. I'm in my early 20s but I feel like at this rate I'm just wasting my life away, sitting here, not really accomplishing or achieving anything that means anything to me.
I had this idea of walking across the world, from west to east. And while that sounds easy on paper, all I'm thinking is how would this be realistically executed? Mostly thinking about sustinance. I do have a fairly reasonable starting capital, but it won't last very long if I'm to aquire sustinance in the conventional way.

So what I really kind of want to hear is if anyone has any ideas how this would realistically be done, and if there are any other insights or ideas.
I'd love to hear from whomever reads this post!

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
I'm like that too, I feel like I'm wasting my life when I want to travel the world.

Personally how I expect to start travelling is to go on exchange during university and travel more when I go wherever I chose.
I didn't go to an exchange year perse, but I did go to language school in Japan for 3 months and learned the language fairly well. It was a really nice learning trip, and I ended up going back later, as I had the funds back then, having spent my inheritence money on it lmao.

But I've had friends whose had an exchange year, and they all think it has been a great experience, I think it's definitely a good start!

I didn't go to an exchange year perse, but I did go to language school in Japan for 3 months and learned the language fairly well. It was a really nice learning trip, and I ended up going back later, as I had the funds back then, having spent my inheritence money on it lmao.

But I've had friends whose had an exchange year, and they all think it has been a great experience, I think it's definitely a good start!
See my university (Carleton University) has a good selection of Japanese partners which makes it nice for me. If I am to be blessed with the opportunity to go to Japan (which is my definitive choice), I'd want to use the opportunity to go to South Korea, China, and surrounding areas.

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
See my university (Carleton University) has a good selection of Japanese partners which makes it nice for me. If I am to be blessed with the opportunity to go to Japan (which is my definitive choice), I'd want to use the opportunity to go to South Korea, China, and surrounding areas.
Sounds like a great plan, do you perchance know where in Japan the school would be located?

Sounds like a great plan, do you perchance know where in Japan the school would be located?
Yea the following choices are:

Aoyama Gakuin University - Tokyo
International University Japan - Niigata
Kansai Gaidai University - Osaka
Konan University - Kobe
Kumamoto Gakuen University - Kumamoto
Nanzan University - Nagoya
Okayama University - Okayama

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
Yea the following choices are:

Aoyama Gakuin University - Tokyo
International University Japan - Niigata
Kansai Gaidai University - Osaka
Konan University - Kobe
Kumamoto Gakuen University - Kumamoto
Nanzan University - Nagoya
Okayama University - Okayama
I've only passed by Niigata/ Kumamoto. Never been in Nagoya.
But out of the alternatives, I think they all sound great!
If you're not too huge on the metropolitan lifestyle Tokyo might not be the best, but it's really really good for leisure, for sure.

If I were to personally choose I think I'd probably go for Osaka, because it's closer to Kyoto. And Kyoto has the definitive best Ramen

:steef:

I had this idea of walking across the world, from west to east. And while that sounds easy on paper, all I'm thinking is how would this be realistically executed? Mostly thinking about sustinance. I do have a fairly reasonable starting capital, but it won't last very long if I'm to aquire sustinance in the conventional way.
You should get admitted to a funded PhD and go to conferences in different countries.

I've only passed by Niigata/ Kumamoto. Never been in Nagoya.
But out of the alternatives, I think they all sound great!
If you're not too huge on the metropolitan lifestyle Tokyo might not be the best, but it's really really good for leisure, for sure.

If I were to personally choose I think I'd probably go for Osaka, because it's closer to Kyoto. And Kyoto has the definitive best Ramen

:steef:
I use to be one of the kids that only wanted to be in downtown metropolitan areas but I've definitely matured. I'd want to go to either Osaka or Okayama and then transit down to Tokyo. I save money and see more of Japan. I'd take any though lol.

I'd want to check out the historical sites, small-time food joints that not enough people talk about, museums, etc.

Ramen is my favourite Japanese food. So much so that on the MH forums, my profile name is Ramen lol. But I've experienced all Japanese food here in Canada so I love it all. :steef:

Though I'd need to try the authentic stuff from the motherland. :pepedoffy:

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
You should get admitted to a funded PhD and go to conferences in different countries.
Interesting view, never seen that angle before. Would you be able to talk a bit more about what that would entail, and alternatively where to look into this?
I use to be one of the kids that only wanted to be in downtown metropolitan areas but I've definitely matured. I'd want to go to either Osaka or Okayama and then transit down to Tokyo. I save money and see more of Japan. I'd take any though lol.

I'd want to check out the historical sites, small-time food joints that not enough people talk about, museums, etc.

Ramen is my favourite Japanese food. So much so that on the MH forums, my profile name is Ramen lol. But I've experienced all Japanese food here in Canada so I love it all. :steef:

Though I'd need to try the authentic stuff from the motherland. :pepedoffy:
In my personal experience Japanese food outside of Japan may sometimes be fair quality, but they just won't compare truly to the authentic shit you get over there!

Why I reccomend Osaka is because you get a little bit of everything, it's like the ultimate compromise, you get some metropolis, some more laidback, some historical shit, and good food, and also very good accessability to go to other places as well!

They say Niigata has the best rice in Japan, but I'd concur, Hokkaido has topped that list for me, specifically Shimamaki

Aww man that rice slaps

In my personal experience Japanese food outside of Japan may sometimes be fair quality, but they just won't compare truly to the authentic shit you get over there!
Oh 100%

Why I reccomend Osaka is because you get a little bit of everything, it's like the ultimate compromise, you get some metropolis, some more laidback, some historical shit, and good food, and also very good accessability to go to other places as well!
Makes sense

They say Niigata has the best rice in Japan, but I'd concur, Hokkaido has topped that list for me, specifically Shimamaki
I don't like the cold....but I'd go to Hokkaido in a heartbeat

Aww man that rice slaps
As an Arab, rice is just good for everyone lol.

Interesting view, never seen that angle before. Would you be able to talk a bit more about what that would entail, and alternatively where to look into this?
You apply for a fellowship so the school itself funds your research. If you were to be accepted you'd have the opportunity to meet other like-minded individuals in your field at conferences and events around the world. It is so fucking competitive that you'd need to be a stand-out student......but if you're passionate about it, do it.

There are more than enough unis where if you're willing to put in the work, they'll take you.

A political science professor of mine who specializes in Soviet Russian and Nazi history gives talks in Germany multiple times a year, every year.

I am assuming you are an undergrad student. Finish with good grades and apply in some universities (if you want to travel, best to go to a European Uni). Just do a quick google search, you will find PhD programs in your subject.

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
You apply for a fellowship so the school itself funds your research. If you were to be accepted you'd have the opportunity to meet other like-minded individuals in your field at conferences and events around the world.

A political science professor of mine who specializes in Soviet Russian and Nazi history gives talks in Germany multiple times a year, every year.
I am assuming you are an undergrad student. Finish with good grades and apply in some universities (if you want to travel, best to go to a European Uni). Just do a quick google search, you will find PhD programs in your subject.
I see, I see!
Well I think this sounds like a very reasonable approach to this, but I know myself well enough to say that I'm not gonna be able to endure years of school just to get to this point. I dropped out of Highschool for a reason lmao, recently tried to just bite my teeth together and finish Higschool, but only managed a year before I was completely apathic and couldn't bring myself to go on.

So I think for me personally, this angle would be pretty rough and not very realistic.

I appreciate the info though! Thank you!
As an Arab, rice is just good for everyone lol.
Good rice is just.. well, I can't say with words, it just completes you!
I love rice, it's my fuel. Then again I'm a sacreligious Nord who doesn't really like potatoes, so Rice has been my salvation!