Controversial The defenitive thread about swordsmanship skills and titles.

Difference is...

Mihawk is both the Sekaiichi no Daikengou (Greatest Swordmaster in the World) AND the Sekai Saikyo no Kenshi (STRONGEST Swordsman in the World). The title is the later I believe.

So he is still stronger than Shanks the Swordsman.
So Mihawk wields the n°1 swordsmanship in the world (skill) and also he's the strongest amongst all swordsmen(strength). :pepehawk:

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
So Mihawk wields the n°1 swordsmanship in the world (skill) and also he's the strongest amongst all swordsmen(strength). :pepehawk:
Precisely.

You can see the manga refer to him with both the epithets at different points.
In chapter 700, they called him "Sekaiichi no Daikengou" meaning "Greatest Swordsman in the World" and hence it was translated that way.
In the recent chapter, they called him "Sekai Saikyo no Kenshi" meaning "Strongest Swordsman in the World" which is the WSS title & hence Viz translated it correctly.

So either way, the dude right here didn't prove/disprove shit. Mihawk is still stronger than Shanks.

So it's confirmed then that Shanks' swordsmanship is only at the level of Swordmaster like current Zoro.
I'll leave that up for @T.D.A to decide

if he's correct then this distinction matters and the emphasis on skill that Viz makes on Mihawk's end by calling it superior to Shanks.. makes perfect sense..

So a Dai kengo class exists in OnePiece that are the so called pure swordman.. which Shanks isn't.. so the claim of zoro's dream being disserviced becuz Shanks being stronger than Mihawk doesn't stand if Shanks isn't even in the same class, rank, eloquence of swordsmanship as Mihawk whatever you wanna call ir

hence it debunks that Marines weren't only talking about superiority in skill like Viz translates it to be.

Shanks is a Dai Kengo too

which databook is this?
Nice try they are speaking of Mihawk as the diligent Daikengou, Grandmaster there and not Shanks.. Since they were partying
and already drunk..

lt says an unexpected(Shanks) and a diligent Grandmaster(Mihawk).. That was before Shanks was revealed to be the one Mihawk visited..

So no the Daikengou > Kengou argument is still very alive.. Mihawk fans in Shambles..

Precisely.

You can see the manga refer to him with both the epithets at different points.
In chapter 700, they called him "Sekaiichi no Daikengou" meaning "Greatest Swordsman in the World" and hence it was translated that way.
In the recent chapter, they called him "Sekai Saikyo no Kenshi" meaning "Strongest Swordsman in the World" which is the WSS title & hence Viz translated it correctly.

So either way, the dude right here didn't prove/disprove shit. Mihawk is still stronger than Shanks.
I don't care about the bullshit powerscaling tbh. I'm only here because these swordsmen classifications fascinate me.