The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

Sure.

Three of them are, two of them aren’t. That means the average is only a bit better.

Bosses are probably the best out of any Zelda but even then it feels like there was a lot of reskinning (you fight each of the dungeon bosses three times again in the depths) and if combat is meant to be the strong point it’s still not nearly on par with a devil may cry or FS title.

Agree on the exploration and traversal though, it’s probably the best in any game.

I have it above BOTW and WW for sure but I’d have to think about it for TP and SS. Also need to play OOT and MM at some point.
I replayed all of them recently. Totk and botw have superior gameplay. Dungeons are the one and only thing the previous games do better. Thing is, dungeons are at the very core of what a Zelda game is.

G

Gorosei Informer

I honestly feel the BOTW/TOTK style should have been saved for a new IP as opposed to reinventing Zelda.

I did not find the Zelda formula to get stale despite the common opinion in the world apparently and I've played nearly every Zelda game there is. I still love them dearly.
Post automatically merged:

Also need to play OOT and MM at some point.
OOT and MM are really something else, you're in for a treat. Incredible atmosphere and writing, especially on the latter. It was very experimental, dark, tragic, symbolic/metaphorical etc.

Fantastic games.

I honestly feel the BOTW/TOTK style should have been saved for a new IP as opposed to reinventing Zelda.

I did not find the Zelda formula to get stale despite the common opinion in the world apparently and I've played nearly every Zelda game there is. I still love them dearly.

OOT and MM are really something else, you're in for a treat. Incredible atmosphere and writing, especially on the latter. It was very experimental, dark, tragic, symbolic/metaphorical etc.

Fantastic games.
There’s a youtuber called ratatoskr that has repedeatly stated that while he prefers the old Zelda games, he feels that the Zelda team wouldn’t be able to do anything special with that formula anymore. I think there’s some truth to that. I still believe we’ll get a classic Zelda type game eventually.

G

Gorosei Informer

There’s a youtuber called ratatoskr that has repedeatly stated that while he prefers the old Zelda games, he feels that the Zelda team wouldn’t be able to do anything special with that formula anymore. I think there’s some truth to that. I still believe we’ll get a classic Zelda type game eventually.
Yeah thats my fear too, I was thinking about that lately too. Its a real shame, I think VR would have been a natural way of making things exciting and new but like the new Half-Life game unfortuantely, its far too restrictive as only people who can afford VR and have space to set it up or are able to use it and not have conflicting health conditions with it either.

Skyward Sword was really creative with its dungeons, especially the final one and Twilight Princess had some fantastic ideas which I really loved too for dungeons, but alas.

I got the AI bot to come up with ideas for new dungeons and it did some great ideas. But I can understand if they're feeling a lack of sufficient creativity with the current formula of Zelda, I noticed similar with Mario hence why they made Galaxy and especially Odyssey and took Mario in the direction they did with Odyssey especially.

There are some things the BOTW/TOTK games do really well and I can respect/appreciate though. I've not played them but I might one day. Curiousity is eating away at me.
I would rather they did that as they did with these 2 new games then let the series stagnate to a slow death or just abandon it entirely too ofc.

G

Gorosei Informer

Just so you guys know, the final boss in totk is the best final boss in all of Zelda ever.
Holy shit lol, thats a HUGE improvement on BOTW from what I've heard! The best ever though? Thats quite a claim but I can kinda believe it too. They've been getting better with boss fights with each main Zelda game at least imo. Until BOTW anyway lol.

Now you really have my curiousity! Having Ganondorf return just makes me happy too!

You haven’t played these yet????? Bruh. OoT was the original best game of all time and Majora’s Mask is imo the best Zelda (only rivaled by Tears). You need to stop what you’re doing and play these.
I don’t have a 3DS or an N64 and since they’re out of production they’re really overpriced by 3rd party sellers. I’ll emulate at some point.

I follow ratatoskr too actually he was big back when Elden ring came out.

Also while he’s said the old formula has been fully explored, he’s also said that replacing old dungeons with 120 (152?) shrines that feel identical and consist of simple interactions was not the right move lol

I know he likes tears a lot but I wonder if he’ll make any content on it besides his quick tips vid

G

Gorosei Informer

I don’t have a 3DS or an N64 and since they’re out of production they’re really overpriced by 3rd party sellers. I’ll emulate at some point.

I follow ratatoskr too actually he was big back when Elden ring came out.

Also while he’s said the old formula has been fully explored, he’s also said that replacing old dungeons with 120 (152?) shrines that feel identical and consist of simple interactions was not the right move lol

I know he likes tears a lot but I wonder if he’ll make any content on it besides his quick tips vid
Emulation would make Majoras Mask SO MUCH more tolerable on the worser parts of it too, so definitely go for it! Emulation is a godsend especially with how outright anticonsumer and apparently anti Gamecube Nintendo is sigh.

Even if it’s not their focus I still don’t understand why they don’t just add dungeons though.
Yep, they even added 152 shrines. I think that is too much. 90 shrines + making the 3 weak dungeons more fleshed out would be much better imo. Maybe they could even add 1 more full dungeon.

Honestly, when I saw the 7 tears, I thought we would get 7 traditional dungeons again. Turns out, it were only 6, with half of these being the weakest part of the Zelda series (not counting BotW).

“it breaks the open world and sense of freedom”
We already have the lightning temple and hyrule castle which are pretty damn close, plus we have other open world games like Elden ring that blatantly show you can have tight linear dungeons in an open world without ruining the sense exploration.
We even have some shrines pulling better puzzles than the dungeons as well. Plus, I don't really understand the point in excluding dungeon keys? I mean, some shrines also have some locked doors in which keys are necessary. Backtracking in a dungeon is not wrong. After all, it has to give the player the feeling to explore every single inch of a dungeon to see missing points.
Elden Ring has 7 huge main dungeons. And really, the later dungeons were so huge, I needed several hours to finish these. In this case, Elden Ring dungeons are not even heavily puzzle themed like Zelda dungeons. See Haligtree, that's basically the last dungeon (or was it an optional one? I don't remember) before the final boss and I needed at least 4 hours to finish this. And as you said, it didn't damage the exploration feeling of the over world.

“with mechanics like climbing you cant have dungeons”
But they disable it in shrines so? I don’t understand why they couldn’t just make much larger versions of shrines.
Yep, disable climbing AND ascend ability in dungeons and it should be fine.
I read some posts how people just used ascend ability to have easier ways in the Lightning Temple. That would be no real issue if this ability was disabled on the ceiling. Plus, if there are puzzles when the ability is required, they could easily add some Zonai platforms for the ascend ability.

It’s just a bit strange imo. Maybe theyll get a step closer to traditional dungeons in the next one if the lightning temple is an indicator. Still enjoying ToTK overall tho
But they already have plenty of experience when it comes to making dungeons or is it their intention to see for the player community's feedback? To see how they liked the new dungeon versions? It was better than Divine Beasts but it sure can be done even better imo.

Just so you guys know, the final boss in totk is the best final boss in all of Zelda ever.
Ganondorf caught me off guard when he used flurry rush on me. Then at the 3rd phase, he also started dodging MY flurry rush. This battle was truly the best Ganondorf fight, especially when it comes to the difficulty.

I got the AI bot to come up with ideas for new dungeons and it did some great ideas. But I can understand if they're feeling a lack of sufficient creativity with the current formula of Zelda, I noticed similar with Mario hence why they made Galaxy and especially Odyssey and took Mario in the direction they did with Odyssey especially.
Yeah, I also get their point to change the formula; partially tho.
Because what's the point in changing the dungeon formula to such degrees? It only makes the fandom disappointed - people can think what they want but it is true that dungeons highly represent the series. That's THE originality of the ENTIRE SERIES. Look how games like Genshin Impact immediately "copied" the open world aspect of BotW but it sure is more difficult to copy the dungeon formula as well since this is some exclusive Zelda stuff. Darksiders tried but the dungeons are not nearly as good as the Zelda dungeons.
Thankfully, the physics engine is the new great aspect of the NEW Zelda series (BotW and TotK). Nintendo also confirmed that they will keep developing Zelda games similar to BotW. BotW is the new OoT - that's the new orientation of the Zelda team. I miss traditional dungeon items tho.

I'm a huge oldschool Zelda fan. My first Zelda game is Link's Awakening (GB). Then a friend lend me Ocarina of Time and that was the starting point when I've stanned the series. Thus, it was difficult accepting the fact that newer Zelda games will go on a completely different direction than previous Zelda games but TotK was the start to accept the new direction better.

If, as expected, they continue on the BotW style games for the future, they should absolutely look to what Elden Ring did with Legacy Dungeons, which was too late for TotK.

Best of both worlds for the future would likely be continuing development of main BotW games every 4-6 years with some top-down efforts in between, which should take less resources. Imagine we‘ll also see some more remakes.

Might depend on whenever the next console is coming for Nintendo. Imagine the next year will just be dlc for TotK before anything new comes. Not even sure if WW/TP HD will actually get ported or if they’ll just hold it back until whatever new console comes out. Think it’s nuts they haven’t released it yet, and I don’t want to start a replay of either because of the nagging suspicion that I’ll start and then Ninty will announce the ports like two days afterwards