The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

So, completed the main story, done what my Switch tells me is 60 hours plus on this.

I think first I’m gonna have to say this has been a thoroughly enjoyable game. It’s also came out for me personally at a great time, because I’ve had plenty of time to get stuck into it. I’m saying that at the start because I think this will come across as hugely critical and might make it seem I hated it, which is not the case.

I think it’s an 8/10. It might have been a 9/10 if it had been a fresh start, but so much of it is taken from BotW that I can’t give it more.

This will have full spoilers so don’t read it if you don’t want spoiled

The story is just simple and average. Most Zelda storylines are. What it needs are interesting characters to elevate it. Sadly, there are none to be found here. The most boring Link and Zelda pairing to exist. SS ones had more personality in the first two hours than these two showed in two games.

Ganondorf? Don‘t hope for Wind Waker Ganondorf here. His VA does well (most, imo, do not, so that’s a big plus). He has a bit of presence to him thanks to that. But there’s nothing to him beyond doing evil for evil sakes.

Side characters? Pretty forgettable. Think the new sages (Tulin aside) showed more in BotW than they did here. Which wasn’t much. Purah and Robbie, meh. Sheikah? Don’t do anything.

The new characters of Rauru, Sonia and Mineru? Boring as hell. A big part of the final scene is a fairwell to Mineru, I could not give the slightest shit about her. Midna she is not. Because Midna, and Ezlo, and the KoRL, and Tetra, they all showed that characters could be good guys and have a personality beyond that. TotK seems to have forgotten that.

Kohga is still entertaining by at least showing some quirkiness when he shows up. Fun recurring villain, he plays his role well enough.

All this combines for a story that is really quite dull. The background story through the tears is cookie cutter. OoT did a better Ganondorf rises to power and that came out twenty five years ago when 3D gaming was new. Had I cared more about this Zelda her sacrifice may have resonated more, but big meh.

This, I think, is simply due to the way they try to tell the story. Basically, 18 short cutscenes featuring boring characters. It doesn’t let the characters grow or for us to spend any real time getting attached to them. The new sages are at least a bit better there.

So, major letdown of a story.

Now, dungeons. Are they back? No, they aren’t. Are they better than BotW? Yes, but it’s not a huge improvement.

The best thing is that the sage powers effectively act like items again. And there is a big section to get too the dungeon that can act a bit like the dungeon. Ultimately, it’s still the same turn on the four/five seperate things to get to the boss from BotW. Also, and this is throughout the game, it seems a lot easier than BotW. But there are at least differences in aesthetic that are cool and interesting. I think the Thunder Temple is the closest to a “real” dungeon, with it’s verticality. Gerudo section was in general my favourite part of the game.

(One baffling decision made. Remember Hyrule Castle in BotW, with the big 3D map, multiple rooms and secrets? Remember everyone loving it and thinking it was the template for the future? Yeah, not only do they do nothing with that, but there isn’t even a final dungeon at all.)

I thought the boss fights were, broadly speaking, excellent. Sure, some were a bit easy, but there has always been easy Zelda bosses. But they were vastly superior to BotW, and the use of the Sage powers as items really brought back the old Zelda feeling. The Ganondorf fight I thought was really cool. Shame there aren’t more one vs one fights like that though- why on earth are there no Darknuts still?

Now, Sky Islands and Depths. Good, but imo, wasted potential. It’s all a bit too samey. A Sky Island has a picture to see in each section of the map, one of the block Flux villains, maybe a shrine quest. Get a bottle, leads to an armour chest in the Depths for the old game armours from BotW. I think more could have been done there. There’s a few unique islands- mazes, dives, rotating balls, but not enough.

The depths are a bit more interesting and you’ll find more cool moments. It at least comes a but closer to being something new. i find the overworld far too familiar from BotW and the skies far too sparce.

The gameplay loop. Well, it is addicting, and that‘s a strength. It is the exact same as BotW, but that was a strong loop in and of itself. Finding shrines, exploring caves and wells, sidequests, all will mean you can sink plenty of time into it. That similarity to BotW though, it is a weakness, because a lot is what you have done before. Even a lot of the armour is the same as in BotW.

The chemistry system is amazing. I’m not someone who will spend lots of time on it, but it is clearly amazingly done. Expect a lot of games to try to copy it and fail.

I think the shrines are far easier than BotWs. None have stumped me at all, and I’ve done 70 odd. Koroks, still don’t give a shit, do enough to get some inventory spaces and that’ll do me.

But is it quantity over quality? Perhaps harsh, but yes, I think so. A decent standard of quantity mind you.

Like I said, this probably comes across far more negative than it seems. Genuinely been great fun playing this.

But I don‘t have any interest in BotW 3. I hope for a change for the next one- a new combat system, new approach to storytelling (absolute necessity), new gameplay loop, totally new map.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Now that the games been out for a few weeks, do you guys prefer the rune abilities in Totk, or the ones in BOTW?

@Elder Lee Hung @EmperorKinyagi @Playa4321 @Meeyori @Toby D. Dog @Cross_Marian @Sentinel

I haven't come close to mastering or exploring fuse and ultrahand, but both offer so much creative options it's hard not to love them
Yeah I cleared the water temple and have done more depths and Hyrule exploration, etc…I stand by my initial impression that this game is far superior to Breath of the Wild and is even superior to Elden Ring for me. The depths in particular is the most fun I’ve had exploring in a video game since Dark Souls 1.

But as for the Sage powers, this is the only area of the game for me where Breath of the Wild did it far better. Having to physically walk over to a Sage avatar just to use their powers is a complete joke, Breath of the Wild’s hot button Champion’s powers >>>>>>>>>

Yeah I cleared the water temple and have done more depths and Hyrule exploration, etc…I stand by my initial impression that this game is far superior to Breath of the Wild and is even superior to Elden Ring for me. The depths in particular is the most fun I’ve had exploring in a video game since Dark Souls 1.

But as for the Sage powers, this is the only area of the game for me where Breath of the Wild did it far better. Having to physically walk over to a Sage avatar just to use their powers is a complete joke, Breath of the Wild’s hot button Champion’s powers >>>>>>>>>
How was the Water Temple for you?

I agree with your sage powers take. Imo these powers should be runes instead. Pick one ability via L, then press on the L button to use it. This would be much more efficient since these abilities are basically dungeon items. The goron sage power is also like the bomb rune in BotW. But in some occasions, 5 sages following you and jumping on enemies is amusing. I lmao'ed when Link and the sages started jumping on the Water Temple boss.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
How was the Water Temple for you?

I agree with your sage powers take. Imo these powers should be runes instead. Pick one ability via L, then press on the L button to use it. This would be much more efficient since these abilities are basically dungeon items. The goron sage power is also like the bomb rune in BotW. But in some occasions, 5 sages following you and jumping on enemies is amusing. I lmao'ed when Link and the sages started jumping on the Water Temple boss.
The Champion’s powers were one of the best gameplay aspects of Breath of the Wild for me. You had tools for combat and exploration that could be managed and used in real time, adding to the gameplay variety. Half the time I forget my sages even exist bar the occasional moment where Tulin busts out a 360 no-scope and prevents my 11 heart ass from getting one shot by a Bokoblin. Lol

Anyway, the water temple was fine. No complaints but I didn’t love it either. Being able to float across the temple was cool. The boss was clown shit but still more memorable than…googles…Waterblight Ganon.
Post automatically merged:

WTF DUDE

I just defeated one of those gloom hand creatures below that Akkala Labyrinth, and Phantom Ganon appeared so I fought him and killed him too, does Phantom Ganon appear every time you kill a gloom hand? Lol

Last edited:
The spirit temple is even worse than the water temple.

Calling it a temple feels wrong lol.

Gotta say that despite enjoying the lightning, fire, and wind temples, I’m pretty disappointed. Nintendo straight up said “dungeons are back!” in advertisements and while what they gave us is definitely better than the divine beasts that statement is a complete lie.

Last edited:
okay, I’ve got almost 100 shrines on the surface and like 16 (about half in the sky), all geoglyphs, a ton of bubulfrohs, most armor sets, and have cleared most of the depths (eyeballing I’d say like 70%)

should I go full completionist before the final boss or nah

The spirit temple is even worse than the water temple.

Calling it a temple feels wrong lol.

Gotta say that despite enjoying the lightning, fire, and wind temples, I’m pretty disappointed.
Yeah, my disappointment was also immeasurable when I saw that the actual Spirit Temple was just based on a single boss room.
I guess the actual "dungeon" was the Construct Factory. Technically, this dungeon kind of reminded me of the Skull Woods (dungeon) of A Link to the Past. However, there was a clear distinction between the over world area and the dungeon which was divided in several parts. There was no issue to realize the Skull Woods is the 3rd dungeon of the dark world. A similar design also had the Construct Factory which was built on 4 "mini dungeons". But I didn't even know this was the actual dungeon. It was way too connected to the over world and I was honestly confused until I defeated the boss. I thought "Okay, now where is the real dungeon? I guess this was just the mini boss before the actual dungeon" - nope, it was the dungeon boss. For starters, a dungeon map is absolutely necessary for navigation. There would be no issue to program that the dungeon map appears when you enter one of the four factories. But I guess the implementation would be kind of difficult since the dungeon room (Spirit Temple) was located in a far away area. Yet again, AlttP had no issues with that either. You had to search for the dungeon item, then you could go to the main skull, solving a few puzzles, then reaching the boss room.
This whole section rather reminded me of some sky island puzzles which you had to solve in the over world.

In general, I also cannot believe the last dungeon wasn't even a real dungeon. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed at all. Considering how great the other 2 dungeons - Wind Temple and Fire Temple - started, I really kept my expectations for the other 4 dungeons high. How comes 1 more dungeon was satisfying, however the rest being trash?

Unfortunately, I guess dungeons are not the Zelda team's top priority anymore. That's what also changed when they changed the Zelda formula and I doubt we will see great dungeons in a future Zelda game again. Furthermore, Hyrule Castle is Hyrule Castle but the Water Temple was barely a functional temple, not to mention the Construct Factory which I personally refuse to call a dungeon, especially since this is supposed to be the "last dungeon". A shame considering how hyped I was when I realized that the Spirit Temple appears again.
Just what happened with their mindset? Dungeons are an almost perfect asset and identity of the series. And each 3D AND 2D Zelda delivered a huge quantity AND qualitative amount of dungeons, each game! Sure, a dungeon ranking can be always made and there were some dungeons being hated by the fandom but seriously, these dungeons are still massively better than the Water Temple and the Spirit Temple. At least they ain't developed "half-assed". So why the lack of priority? Why were 3 dungeons almost completely neglected?
Despite my little rant, I started to accept it. When dungeons lack in BotW/TotK, at least the over world content is still significantly better than any 2D and 3D Zelda game. Heck, the entire map is basically one big sandbox. And honestly, I got 3 great dungeons and I think I am quite satisfied, especially when it comes to the bosses. All TotK bosses are incredible.

Nintendo straight up said “dungeons are back!” in advertisements and while what they gave us is definitely better than the divine beasts that statement is a complete lie.
I wouldn't really say that Nintendo lied to us per se about "dungeons being back" since they merely mentioned that visually themed based dungeons are back which is true and as confusing as the Construct Factory was, it is still better than 4 repetitive designs of the Divine Beasts. Again, when it comes to themed dungeons.

Btw, I still explore the Depth and I still didn't grow tired to do so. The entire map just gives me huge Xenoblade 2 vibes with their titans (especially Uraya). I think Monoliftsoft heavily designed the assets of the Depth. That's just my speculation.

Yeah, my disappointment was also immeasurable when I saw that the actual Spirit Temple was just based on a single boss room.
I guess the actual "dungeon" was the Construct Factory. Technically, this dungeon kind of reminded me of the Skull Woods (dungeon) of A Link to the Past. However, there was a clear distinction between the over world area and the dungeon which was divided in several parts. There was no issue to realize the Skull Woods is the 3rd dungeon of the dark world. A similar design also had the Construct Factory which was built on 4 "mini dungeons". But I didn't even know this was the actual dungeon. It was way too connected to the over world and I was honestly confused until I defeated the boss. I thought "Okay, now where is the real dungeon? I guess this was just the mini boss before the actual dungeon" - nope, it was the dungeon boss. For starters, a dungeon map is absolutely necessary for navigation. There would be no issue to program that the dungeon map appears when you enter one of the four factories. But I guess the implementation would be kind of difficult since the dungeon room (Spirit Temple) was located in a far away area. Yet again, AlttP had no issues with that either. You had to search for the dungeon item, then you could go to the main skull, solving a few puzzles, then reaching the boss room.
This whole section rather reminded me of some sky island puzzles which you had to solve in the over world.

In general, I also cannot believe the last dungeon wasn't even a real dungeon. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed at all. Considering how great the other 2 dungeons - Wind Temple and Fire Temple - started, I really kept my expectations for the other 4 dungeons high. How comes 1 more dungeon was satisfying, however the rest being trash?

Unfortunately, I guess dungeons are not the Zelda team's top priority anymore. That's what also changed when they changed the Zelda formula and I doubt we will see great dungeons in a future Zelda game again. Furthermore, Hyrule Castle is Hyrule Castle but the Water Temple was barely a functional temple, not to mention the Construct Factory which I personally refuse to call a dungeon, especially since this is supposed to be the "last dungeon". A shame considering how hyped I was when I realized that the Spirit Temple appears again.
Just what happened with their mindset? Dungeons are an almost perfect asset and identity of the series. And each 3D AND 2D Zelda delivered a huge quantity AND qualitative amount of dungeons, each game! Sure, a dungeon ranking can be always made and there were some dungeons being hated by the fandom but seriously, these dungeons are still massively better than the Water Temple and the Spirit Temple. At least they ain't developed "half-assed". So why the lack of priority? Why were 3 dungeons almost completely neglected?
Despite my little rant, I started to accept it. When dungeons lack in BotW/TotK, at least the over world content is still significantly better than any 2D and 3D Zelda game. Heck, the entire map is basically one big sandbox. And honestly, I got 3 great dungeons and I think I am quite satisfied, especially when it comes to the bosses. All TotK bosses are incredible.

I wouldn't really say that Nintendo lied to us per se about "dungeons being back" since they merely mentioned that visually themed based dungeons are back which is true and as confusing as the Construct Factory was, it is still better than 4 repetitive designs of the Divine Beasts. Again, when it comes to themed dungeons.

Btw, I still explore the Depth and I still didn't grow tired to do so. The entire map just gives me huge Xenoblade 2 vibes with their titans (especially Uraya). I think Monoliftsoft heavily designed the assets of the Depth. That's just my speculation.
Even if it’s not their focus I still don’t understand why they don’t just add dungeons though.

“it breaks the open world and sense of freedom”
We already have the lightning temple and hyrule castle which are pretty damn close, plus we have other open world games like Elden ring that blatantly show you can have tight linear dungeons in an open world without ruining the sense exploration.

“with mechanics like climbing you cant have dungeons”
But they disable it in shrines so? I don’t understand why they couldn’t just make much larger versions of shrines.

It’s just a bit strange imo. Maybe theyll get a step closer to traditional dungeons in the next one if the lightning temple is an indicator. Still enjoying ToTK overall tho

Last edited:
Even if it’s not their focus I still don’t understand why they don’t just add dungeons though.

“it breaks the open world and sense of freedom”
We already have the lightning temple and hyrule castle which are pretty damn close, plus we have other open world games like Elden ring that blatantly show you can have tight linear dungeons in an open world without ruining the sense exploration.

“with mechanics like climbing you cant have dungeon”
But they disable it in shrines so? I don’t understand why they could just make much larger version of shrines.

It’s just a bit strange imo. Maybe theyll get a step close to traditional dungeons in the next one if the lightning temple is an indicator. Still enjoying ToTK overall tho
They’re tweaking the formula in order to meet those expectations. These dungeons were better than the divine beasts. The bosses are amazing and the gameplay is probably the best ever in gaming. I need to replay it to decide whether it is my favorite Zelda game or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.

They’re tweaking the formula in order to meet those expectations.
Sure.

These dungeons were better than the divine beasts.
Three of them are, two of them aren’t. That means the average is only a bit better.

The bosses are amazing and the gameplay is probably the best ever in gaming.
Bosses are probably the best out of any Zelda but even then it feels like there was a lot of reskinning (you fight each of the dungeon bosses three times again in the depths) and if combat is meant to be the strong point it’s still not nearly on par with a devil may cry or FS title.

Agree on the exploration and traversal though, it’s probably the best in any game.

I need to replay it to decide whether it is my favorite Zelda game or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.
I have it above BOTW and WW for sure but I’d have to think about it for TP and SS. Also need to play OOT and MM at some point.