General & Others Unpopular Opinion: Most One Piece civilians being clueless on a lot of things early in the story makes sense

It’s nearly impossible to travel in the grand line and the 4 blues are separated from each other by the calm belts and the red line. Even in the four blues every nation being separated by sea would also make it extremely hard for information to travel to other parts of the world. There is no reason for the average civilian to care about more than their own island. Vivi explained this all the way back in little garden yet midwit son here and other places around the internet are incessant on bringing this up.

Last edited:
Exactly. There's no reason why a normal phone couldn't keep the villages updated. You don't need to see the news on telly to know what's going on.
if someone told you, oh yeah there are fruits that give you powers, i perosnally never seen one but someone cool told me?

would you belive it?

there are a few hundred dfs in the story on a world wide scale thats nothing , i mean nothing, and most of those dfs are concetrated into the grandline, and if any of them appear at the east blue they quickly go to the grandline.

even if your homie tells you yeah i saw buggy the clown he can chop himself up, you would look him and till him he was smoking some weed, lets say you belive him, you wouldnt tell your whole villiage that, what you would say i heard a rumour there are dfs that give you powers.

tldr: most of the wierd shit is in the grandline, people have heard of devil fruits in the east blue, they just consider them rumours considering there is zero proof.

now visual proof would make this impossible to deny, however thats wasnt the same at the start of the story

Nah, devil fruits being unheard of makes zero sense in a world where everybody important has them and there is a globe spanning information service that visits every island.
There are occasionally odd moments that just do not make much sense within the context of the verse.

For example, the ignorance regarding devil fruits from the East Blue populace is baffling considering that nearly every big name, top tier character in the verse has a devil fruit and has their faces plastered on either Bounty Posters or a newspaper franchise that covers the whole globe.

Everyone in East Blue gets Luffy's bounty poster regardless of whether they live in the back arse of nowhere like the Dadan Family or Syrup Village. They should know of the Yonko/Admirals along with their devil fruit powers, that stuff is common knowledge.
Just think of piracy in our own world. If Zheng Yi Sao was raising whole cities into the sky with gravity, if Edward Teach was burning settlements to the ground with flames bursting from his person, if Bartholomew Roberts was freezing whole sections of ocean, if Henry Every rendered the earth with a swipe of his hand and if Henry Morgan was drowning the land in lava, do you really think all of the famous criminals and the law enforcers that fought them, all of whom would be bearing fantastical powers, would not become globally well known to everywhere a newspaper reached?

It would be like expecting people in 19th Orkney to not even know what a gun is.

Nah, devil fruits being unheard of makes zero sense in a world where everybody important has them and there is a globe spanning information service that visits every island.

Just think of piracy in our own world. If Zheng Yi Sao was raising whole cities into the sky with gravity, if Edward Teach was burning settlements to the ground with flames bursting from his person, if Bartholomew Roberts was freezing whole sections of ocean, if Henry Every rendered the earth with a swipe of his hand and if Henry Morgan was drowning the land in lava, do you really think all of the famous criminals and the law enforcers that fought them, all of whom would be bearing fantastical powers, would not become globally well known to everywhere a newspaper reached?

It would be like expecting people in 19th Orkney to not even know what a gun is.
do you think people in Africa, the America, Asia will know about them? only europeans will

devil fruits being unheard of makes zero sense in a world where everybody important has them and there is a globe spanning information service that visits every island.
do you read?

they are not unheard of, just considered rumours, because of the lack of actually df users in east blue

and the information service is not for the public, again do you read? cp serves the wg not the common people.

and finally all the big hitters are in the grandline/new world where people know about dfs and consider them real.

its in the east blue where peopel doubt thier existence where they dont actually interact them with much if at all and when they do they dont for long, let me give a quick example:

luffy went through shells town, baratie, louge town and then dipped to the grandline, now, how many people saw him, lets say a few hundred, those from shells town will now believe in dfs untill the kids grow up and it become a rumour again, and other islands will consider them a rumour

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rock that Soul!!!
Yeah, even most of these pirates we see in technologically and information-heavy crews, like the Big Mom and Beast Pirates, are just random people born onto backwater islands.

The average education level in the One Piece universe is probably really bad thanks to the WG's efforts, and the way the world works with the sea separating everything.

do you think people in Africa, the America, Asia will know about them? only europeans will
Those three continents would definitely get news headlines and word of mouth news in every notable port of infamous pirates considering the Americas, Africa and Asia were the main hunting grounds of pirates. All three continents were part of the "Pirate Round" route.

Henry Every operated in the Atlantic and Indian oceans. His biggest haul was a Mughal Indian convoy of 25 ships heading to Mecca. He got a combined £1000 bounty on his head that led to a worldwide manhunt.

Bartholomew Roberts operated off of the Atlantic coastlines of the Americas and Africa. He died in battle near Gabon.

Henry Morgan rampaged across most of the Atlantic coastline of the Americas, hitting as far South as Panama and Venezuela.

Do I even need to explain why Asians would have most certainly heard of Zheng Yi Sao...:pepeke:

All these criminals would be exponentially more notorious if their battles with law enforcement were deleting portions of coastline and destroying entire settlements.

Those three continents would definitely get news headlines and word of mouth news in every notable port of infamous pirates considering the Americas, Africa and Asia were the main hunting grounds of pirates. All three continents were part of the "Pirate Round" route.

Henry Every operated in the Atlantic and Indian oceans. His biggest haul was a Mughal Indian convoy of 25 ships heading to Mecca. He got a combined £1000 bounty on his head that led to a worldwide manhunt.

Bartholomew Roberts operated off of the Atlantic coastlines of the Americas and Africa. He died in battle near Gabon.

Henry Morgan rampaged across most of the Atlantic coastline of the Americas, hitting as far South as Panama and Venezuela.

Do I even need to explain why Asians would have most certainly heard of Zheng Yi Sao...:pepeke:

All these criminals would be exponentially more notorious if their battles with law enforcement were deleting portions of coastline and destroying entire settlements.
except in one piece there this thing called reverse mountian, and there this thing called the red line and there is this thing called the calm built.

it almost like the world is built to prevent information to go from areas to area

New coos travel in like 98% of the places . They even find people at seas to give them newspapers.

Calm belt florian triangle that really stand out.
Freaking Zou gets newspapers .
Even though is is iffy and they maight have a ship stationed outiside of it , still even wano we saw papers Drake in post dressrosa,kaidou in post wci and apoo in post wano all had them.

they are not unheard of, just considered rumours, because of the lack of actually df users in east blue
Literally the third most notorious active pirate in East Blue at the beginning of the series has a devil fruit. Also the Marine Captain of Loguetown, probably the most important island in East Blue, has a Logia.
and the information service is not for the public, again do you read? cp serves the wg not the common people.
Who is talking about Cipher Pol? The World Economy newspaper reaches every backwater hovel. Dadan manages to get a newspaper while living up a mountain, in a jungle, behind the backwater of a backwater.

Literally everybody gets the global news.
finally all the big hitters are in the grandline/new world where people know about dfs and consider them real.
The heavy hitters in every sea have devil fruits.

Bege from West Blue, devil fruit.

Kidd and Bonney from South Blue, devil fruits.

Law, Drake and Hawkins from North Blue, devil fruits.

Luffy and Buggy from East Blue, devil fruits.
its in the east blue where peopel doubt thier existence where they dont actually interact them with much if at all and when they do they dont for long, let me give a quick example:

luffy went through shells town, baratie, louge town and then dipped to the grandline, now, how many people saw him, lets say a few hundred, those from shells town will now believe in dfs untill the kids grow up and it become a rumour again, and other islands will consider them a rumour
All this gets immediately undermined by a global news service that delivers to every island, that informs people of the fact that 99% of famous folk in the world, have a devil fruit.

Imagine what kind of tard you'd have to be to look at the news, see that nearly everybody of note has a superpower and go "Naw, nobody on Craggy Island has those powers. Fake news!"

Freakin Johnny and Yosaku knew of the Warlords. News clearly gets everywhere.

The easiest way to explain devil fruit ignorance at the beginning of the series is either:

1) It was for the reader's benefit, to treat devil fruits as mysterious objects that needed explanation before quickly treating them as mundane.

2) Oda changed his mind and wanted them to be far more common than he initially planned.

I’m a pretty well read and quite well travelled guy that has been to 30 odd countries om 4 different continents. Geography, Social Sciences and History are some of my favourite subjects.

But if you press me and ask me to name 3 cities in Cuba, South Korea or Nigeria I most likely fail as I havent been to those particular countries and they hardly get any media coverage in my part of the world. I cant name drop the 3 presidents, prime ministers or whatever the one in charge is called. Mind you these are quite prominent countries although not top of the food chain.

I can however recite more information about the Yonko or Shichibukai of our world (China, USA, Russia and I suppose India, Brazil, Japan and some European countries).

During one of my travels I became aware of Lee Kuan Yew, former president of Singapore. In some parts of the world he is as famous as Donald Trump or Che Guevara yet in my part of the world I’d guess 98-99 % on the street have never heard of him.

So the conclusion is it is very realistic that someone in East Blue only knows about their 4-5 neighbouring islands, if you think about it most here on this forum also have limited knowledge about the world outside of their little part of the world.

No they won’t. Most Africans and Asians in the 1600 don’t know about European pirates

Bege from West Blue, devil fruit.

Kidd and Bonney from South Blue, devil fruits.

Law, Drake and Hawkins from North Blue, devil fruits.

Luffy and Buggy from East Blue, devil fruits.
first of all we dont even know if the other blues consider dfs a rumour, east blue is considered the weakest most peacefull sea

Imagine what kind of tard you'd have to be to look at the news, see that nearly everybody of note has a superpower and go "Naw, nobody on Craggy Island has those powers. Fake news!"
they dont do that though, though given how humans in our universe act i am not sure why you would be suprised?

i need you to expedtiously reread, because most people reaction to dfs in the east blue is like this, "you have superpowers, must be a df, thought they were a rumour but it must be true" which is pretty reasonable, to bums who have never seen a df, its like people seeing a tech they heard of but never saw for the first time, people are not unphased

if you are a farmer and keep hearing about df that df this you wouldnt actually belive it untill you see it, thats how humans work

also in the return to sabody when you hear what people think of luffy you realize that rumours eagerate and distort eberything pretyy quick