General & Others Unpopular Opinion: Most One Piece civilians being clueless on a lot of things early in the story makes sense

I couldn't tell you much about what's going on around our World right now... And we have the internet.
But that's because of you, not because of the world. We're of course talking potentiality here; what means the world presents and how one may use them. After that, it's only natural that there will be different levels of information penetration and distribution, with those who cared none about what exists outside their island, hell, even just outside their village.

But that's because of you, not because of the world. We're of course talking potentiality here; what means the world presents and how one may use them. After that, it's only natural that there will be different levels of information penetration and distribution, with those who cared none about what exists outside their island, hell, even just outside their village.
And you assume that everyone in One Piece just cares so much to keep up with the current times? I don't have time to worry about the rest of the World because I am working, and have a family to feed. Not everyone is glued to the news 24/7.

So my point is, is even in this day and age when information is available at the click of a button, it's still hard to keep up with everything when you have real shit to worry about.

But yeah, let's pretend everyone in One Piece should know everything because they have telephones, and receive Government propagated information via newspapers.

And you assume that everyone in One Piece just cares so much to keep up with the current times? I don't have time to worry about the rest of the World because I am working, and have a family to feed. Not everyone is glued to the news 24/7.

So my point is, is even in this day and age when information is available at the click of a button, it's still hard to keep up with everything when you have real shit to worry about.

But yeah, let's pretend everyone in One Piece should know everything because they have telephones, and receive Government propagated information via newspapers.
I'm not saying everyone. I'm saying the presence of the phones alone, paper notwithstanding, should be enough for people to stop treating the DFs as a drunkard's tale and more of a concrete reality. It may not touch them on the daily; hell, they may not see a DF or a DF-user in their lives. But to think it's just some fib someone made up one day that somehow everyone heard worldwide is insane.

Oda likely just thought devil fruits were cool and decided to add a ton more. Is it inconsistent? Probably. Was it the right thing to do? Sure was. Devil fruits are cool, tis better have more of them. Lol.
There are a lot of plotholes and inconsistencies in early OP but Dogs aren’t one of them. Oda already planned to have the Grandline filled with DF users by chapter 53 at the very latest. It’s no coincidence we are introduced to 22 new DFs in the Alabasta saga compared to 4 (2 in Loguetown) in the entire East blue saga.