Manga Discussion Vanitas no Carte - The Case Study of Vanitas

Your favourite characters?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
With the manga coming back from hiatus soon I think it's time for a thread.

Paris, late 19th century. Vanitas is a human who works as a doctor for vampires and wishes to save them. He uses a magical book called The Vanitas Grimoire to dispel an evil curse that corrupts vampires and turns them into blood-sucking monsters. But...this very same book is rumoured to be the cursed tome that gives birth to vampires on nights when the blue moon is full. Noe is a vampire on the hunt for The Grimoire. Who, really, is Dr Vanitas? What are the secrets that he holds, and what fate do those secrets spell for the vampire species?

Tagging some people I know read it. :endthis:

@Yelan @Fujishiro @Flower @Cross_Marian ใ†ใ‚‹ใ•ใ„ @Lhulu

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Whatโ€™s the release schedule?
Monthly?
Yes monthly indeed.

I've been seeing some interesting theories on VnC recently.

One of those was that The Teacher is actually Paracelsus and that the Queen and Vanitas of the Blue Moon are twins or something and that he divided them. :endthis:

Yes monthly indeed.

I've been seeing some interesting theories on VnC recently.

One of those was that The Teacher is actually Paracelsus and that the Queen and Vanitas of the Blue Moon are twins or something and that he divided them. :endthis:
I just reread the last ~15 chapters and thought about the same things
Comte has also a connection to Murr
They have the same eye colours
Comte also stole Luna's true name and this is what changed his one eye colour to blue
Truly are terrifying and mysterious villain

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I just reread the last ~15 chapters and thought about the same things
Comte has also a connection to Murr
They have the same eye colours
Comte also stole Luna's true name and this is what changed his one eye colour to blue
Truly are terrifying and mysterious villain
I plan to reread the last 15 or so chapters too lol. Before the new one drops.
Yeah. I just don't know if it's him in the shape of a cat or something like a familiar or something.
Yeah Mochizuki knows how to write a proper villain. Can't wait for us to find out more about him.

This was the theory I was referring to. To add onto it, it might be very likely that Faustina and Luna are his children or students. Faustina probably lost her memory of it, but Luna most likely remembers and that's why she went her separate way.
In the early chapters, it is mentioned that Paracelsus was an alchemist-astrologer who triggered Babel. In the very first panel where he is mentioned, he is depicted with two, six-pointed stars.

Who else is shown with this motif? Teacher. His cane is shown to have two similar ornaments dangling from it.

I believe Teacher was actually a human who, by means of immense study and experimentation, was able to tamper with The World Formula. I believe him doing so upset the natural order of things and brought about Babel. Babel became the means for some humans to start manifesting as vampires, when one day their eyes turn red, in the same way that coal became astermite in Altus. This is best explained through what happened to Chloe. I believe the same thing led to Teacher becoming a vampire, and around the same time, Faustina and Luna came into existence. I believe Teacher did not want to be tied down to any royal duties, despite being Faustina's longest vassal, because he wanted to continue experimenting concerning The World Formula: the tragedy of Babel caused many portals between the human world and Altus to open up--and he wanted to investigate these. If Paris has its counterpart in Altus Paris, I think that every bit and coordinate of the human world has its own Altus version. This, or there are other worlds created from Babel. This is what Teacher is continuing to explore--different dimensions, different break-off realities which he has also been trying to tamper with to see how that can affect the Altus and the human world.

I believe Faustina and Luna were once human, but turned. Teacher presented himself as a way to make sense of Faustina's new-found power, and offered his service to her, hence, being held in great esteem, despite not mentioning his role in the cataclysm. I also believe Faustina and Luna were twins; Teacher, who has been manipulative and cunning from the get-go, may have organized a division between the two. This may where the so-called omen of 'twins being bad luck' may have originated. I think Teacher deliberately created conflict because he wanted to see what would happen if the two went their separate ways. Another example of him not trying to 'directly interfere' but 'working to trigger things into happening'? The story of Louis. Who also happened to be a twin.

While Teacher is a vampire now, and has been for eons, the fact remains that he was once human. This is why he does not take sides, and this is why he raised Noe with no particular affinity for one over the other. As a 'scientist,' he prefers to throw ingredients into a pot and see how things will turn out, he just wants to 'observe,' but he is never above preventing things from happening if he believes that it will spoil the fun. Case in point, when he beheads Louis, just as his grandson is about to drink Noe dry.

I think it's interesting that Teacher's brooch seems to be a broken mirror-like surface with feathers. Mirrors can be symbolic of gates to other dimensions or versions of reality, while feathers can be related to flight, and therefore, travel. Teacher detests Ruthven (the younger version) because he wanted to create peace between humans and vampires. When peace is present, when vampires 'go against their nature' and 'prefer to live harmoniously with people,' everything is predictable, safe. Teacher, I believe, has never liked either.

One other thing: I think it's poignant that Teacher refers to Noe as 'mon chaton' or 'my kitten.' Kittens get into all sort of mischief--and this is what he lives for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vanitasnocarte/comments/12n1479

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
The new chapter was fire ๐Ÿ”ฅ
a perfect comeback
I absolutely agree.

I wonder what's going on with Comte. Lady Archiviste notes that something is off with him. How do they know each other? And his insistence on using that name. We know that names are extremely important in the VnC verse, so there's much more to it.

Charles looks pretty interesting. I've seen people say he might be Number 70. But I don't know. As the first paladin, he should precede all of that. Anyway, quite an amazing chapter, which opened up so many new possibilities and questions.

I absolutely agree.

I wonder what's going on with Comte. Lady Archiviste notes that something is off with him. How do they know each other? And his insistence on using that name. We know that names are extremely important in the VnC verse, so there's much more to it.

Charles looks pretty interesting. I've seen people say he might be Number 70. But I don't know. As the first paladin, he should precede all of that. Anyway, quite an amazing chapter, which opened up so many new possibilities and questions.
Comte is unsolvable, at least for now
This whole story is Vanita's "book" and Noe is the one whoโ€™s recording it
This is why the chapters are called "Memoire", they are the memories of Vanitas.
I love this creativity

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Comte is unsolvable, at least for now
This whole story is Vanita's "book" and Noe is the one whoโ€™s recording it
This is why the chapters are called "Memoire", they are the memories of Vanitas.
I love this creativity
Yeah I believe that's the intention behind it. Which is amazing because Vanitas vowed no one will see his memories. Damn. Can't wait for the next chapter lol.

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Number 70 = Monsieur Spider
:zorothink:
That could very well be it lol. But it would be more interesting if it were two characters and mysteries.

Monsieur Spider could be Johann. Iirc his left arm was suspiciously broken at around the same time Noe kicked MS exactly there and made it unusable. And there have been some other hints and clues. But Mochizuki often does the unexpected so it could be totally a red herring.

Another option is Louis smh. That could be very interesting. Not sure how it could work.

As for number 70. It could be Charles but not sure. Been seeing people think it's Astolfo's sister.

Last edited: