Questions & Mysteries Was Dadan right? Did Garp choose his job over his family?

Was Dadan Right

• Yea, She was right. Garp was a bad person

• No she was wrong

Results are only viewable after voting.
You are mixing things up. Garp was right to raise Ace and give him a chance, but Ace chose the wrong path. If Ace was killed just for being Roger's son things would be different, but they weren't. You put blinders on the big picture and just realize that our protagonists are pirates and forget that 99% of them are really villains and 99% of the navy are people who want to help others. Kidd, for example, is introduced as the one who killed the civilians who laughed at One Piece, but when something happens to him and his team, you feel sorry for it.
No soon or late they will have discovered Ace was Roger's son doesn't matter if he's a pirate or not and in this case they will have sent assasin to kill him
Roger represent a too huge threat for the WG they can't take that risk

Ace as a Pirate did nothing which deserve death in OP. He's dead because he's Roger's son
Look at BB's crew they weren't killed just erased from history.

I don't think you are wrong, it's just that you think being a marine would had saved him from being executed by WG

Last edited:
He was wrong indeed.
I personally lost all respect for Garp as a character after MF.
In retrospective, his rebelious attitude towards the marine is cowardly; why refuse promotions to become admiral when it is the clisest thing to ''power'' which would have allowed him to at least try and change things ?
Garp is an idiot and a coward.

Imagine caring so little about your kin that your just fine watching them die and doing nothing, your job should never take priority over your kids

As a wise man once said
imagine not caring about the man that brought you up and following in the foot step of the man you said you hate

Garp should have quit the Marines as soon as he learned the true nature of the celestial dragons,he let his show become a wanted criminal,he allowed the same with his grandson,he let Ace die...He is definitely not a hero for his family lol

Nope. Garp was only wrong to not defend himself.
Garp let himself get damaged
Dadan was justifiably mad at him for letting ace die and he felt guilty to some sense so he let her wail on him

Literally turned his head in shame as dadan pointed out what he did

your son becomes a bandit and destroys other families, will you be able to protect him knowing what he did?
Yea, I would
it's the parent's job to protect their kids no matter what, if that means being bad then it does

It depends on every person's personal view on this situation
What's there to view?, He choose the marines over ace. his family.
Dadan was right, wither you see that as bad or not would be up to you wouldt agree with letting your grandson die cause your job says, hey there son mcdonalds says you need to stop existing so you know the rules time to die.

Couldt cared much about your own kin if you let them die and did nothing to help

S

stealthblack

Stop caring for garp after marineford. He is CD's slave as much as any other marine

Last edited by a moderator:
What's there to view?, He choose the marines over ace. his family.
Dadan was right, wither you see that as bad or not would be up to you wouldt agree with letting your grandson die cause your job says, hey there son mcdonalds says you need to stop existing so you know the rules time to die.

Couldt cared much about your own kin if you let them die and did nothing to help
Yes, he chose a job, but I meant that it depends on the personal view of each person whether he considers this a good deed or not

Nope. Garp was only wrong to not defend himself.

Ace is a grown man and made his choice. Garp did everything he could to give him a good direction.

Garp can't be guilty by Ace's own choices. He died for being a pirate not for being Roger son only. If he had an honest life and still got arrested and sentenced to death by that I would agree with Dandan but in that case Garp would probably be the first one wracking Impel Down and saving Ace.
He died for being Roger's son clearly, otherwise they would have the pirates in impel down executed those in level 6.

I’ve always stood by the view that Garp is a disgusting self-righteous hypocrite and deserves to be hated far more than he is. He’s an utter failure of a parental figure who let the boys be raised by a fucking bandit of all people, and then has a shocked Pikachu face when all 3 of them live a life of lawlessness.

Ace was a young boy with severe self loathing and mental health issues. What does Garp do when the child asks him existential questions? Gives him absolutely no reassurance, only some vagueness about finding the answer himself, and lo and behold, he does. He finds the companionship and the mentor figures Garp never gave him with the Whitebeard Pirates. Garp doesn’t understand Ace or Luffy and never will. He doesn’t love them. He doesn’t care.

Garp: Yo Ace and Luffy, why don’t you live the way I tell you to?
Ace: Because you left me in the care of bandits, I lost my brother to the World Nobles and-
Garp: Actually no, Idgaf. Become a marine or stfu.

Fuck Garp, I hope Akainu disembowels him in a single magma punch.
Garp had the same childhood and upbringing as Ace Luffy and Sabo

He let luffy and ace with some random ass bandits, ofc he was wrong, if he rly loved his profession he should have taken them in the marine academy from an young age, and keep them there with him, but nah, the only explanation is that he never cared about ace and luffy and only cried a bit when he saw one of them dying, dude wanted no responsibilities thats for sure, this is why he chose the vice admiral life and thats why he never said shit to the celestial dragons, so basically he had a mega cuck mentality, but he was strong because he is Luffys grandpa so yeah, it was a given.

He let luffy and ace with some random ass bandits, ofc he was wrong, if he rly loved his profession he should have taken them in the marine academy from an young age, and keep them there with him, but nah, the only explanation is that he never cared about ace and luffy and only cried a bit when he saw one of them dying, dude wanted no responsibilities thats for sure, this is why he chose the vice admiral life and thats why he never said shit to the celestial dragons, so basically he had a mega cuck mentality, but he was strong because he is Luffys grandpa so yeah, it was a given.
Ace and luffy would have been killed by the wg or pirates if Garp took Luffy and ace as kids to the wg

garp was there for luffy and ace more than there actual parents, if he could be raised like that and come out as a marine why can't luffy and ace
Post automatically merged:

Ace and luffy would have been killed by the wg or pirates if Garp took Luffy and ace as kids to the wg
also this there where young children and ace might run his mouth that his dad his roger the same way he told luffy and you don't expect marines to like the son of the pirate king at least if he was old enough he can keep his mouth shut and even remove the d from his name.

Stop caring for garp after marineford. He is CD's slave as much as any other marine
it is better to be a cd slave and help the people rather than being a mini cd yourself (pirate)

I mean, if Garp didn’t care about his work, he wouldn’t have even met Ace, as he’s Roger’s son, not a blood relative of Garp. No one forced Ace and Luffy to be pirates, so Ace meeting his death was a foregone conclusion, however, I can’t help but feel Garp has some faults in him, and his carefree attitude, he wasn’t around them in their formative years, so pirates (and mountain bandits in the case of Dadan herself) like Shanks, Whitebeard etc, easily took Garp’s spot as a parent figure in their formative years.
Making them grow up with bandits in itself, is a risky gambit, on one hand, sure, they get to see why marines exist, on the other, they can be fascinated by the lifestyle, and slowly adapt to it.
We don’t even know why Dragon doesn’t have Luffy with him, what, Garp took Luffy from him, just to dump him to mountain bandits? Luffy is pretty much a kid in the body of an adult, and has to rely on others for vital skills (medication, navigation, cooking, ship management etc) because he didn’t even have an education, you’d think that the hero of the marines would have some connections to help Luffy grow up to be a respectable adult.

He died for being Roger's son clearly, otherwise they would have the pirates in impel down executed those in level 6.
Maybe... Pirates at Impel Down are actually waiting for tribunal isn't? I remember a lore about that at Enies Lobby arc.

I guess Ace just had a speed up in being judged because of who his father is.

May be wrong but that's what I think.

And Ace chose to be a pirate anyway. Sengoku/Marines knew about Ace but did nothing when he was just a kid, although they pursuit pregnant women and new born babies during that time...

It is odd

Garp let himself get damaged
Dadan was justifiably mad at him for letting ace die and he felt guilty to some sense so he let her wail on him

Literally turned his head in shame as dadan pointed out what he did
I don't know what is your point, I'm giving my perspective not what Garp did or didn't.

He wasn't wrong for me. Ace made his choice.