Break Week What are Eichiro Odas bad aspects in the One Piece Manga?

My Opinion:

-Deaths (just Wano alone had some good Oppurtunities for certain Charachters like Kinemon,Kiku etc. To give them a epic Death but Oda instead offscreened Izo and Ashura)

-Powerlvl Consistency (nothing new tho also in his defence he said he isnt a fighting type of Mangaka to put his focus on it)
I’m kinda holding onto the hope that Oda will not hold back on character deaths in the next war arc.

I agree that there are lot of bad things about his Writing
But they are all things that He already explained, so i know what to expect from this Manga

If you read his Early Interviews, you will understand everything about what He wants to Draw & what He avoids
So this way you rarely get disappointed

Just to give an example, since you mentioned Deaths
He said that He hates Killing Characters cuz He feels that it's a cheap move to make people Emotional when reading his Manga by killing Characters, He prefers Dramatic & Emotional Moments that don't rely on Deaths such as Luffy/Sanji Moment, Robin's I want to live, Kuma separating Crew ... etc

He also said that He doesn't want Arcs to End with some of his Audience unsatisfied cuz their fav Character didn't make it, he fears feeling regret, so i'm not saying i agree with him or i think this style is good, i personally prefer a Story with more Deaths & realistic stakes but at least by knowing how he thinks, my expectations are set & clear

Worst aspects are:

Lots of time spent on ugly characters. Lots of time spent on annoying characters. Other stories also have a lot of irrelevant characters, but they feel like their own person, such as in HxH. Or they still look and act in ways that make them seem alright, as often in Naruto.

Consequences are lacking. The background stories of the straw hat members are impactful because of the consequences in them. Whereas in the actual events that unfold, such consequences rarely amount to anything. Even now that Kid's entire crew was 'destroyed', how likely do you think it is that kid will still survive and make a comeback? The audience is so used to not seeing any real consequences that even such narrator lines mean nothing and everyone expects the supposedly proclaimed dead characters to jump around the corner in a few chapters again.

Art but that’s kinda out of his control

Oda at his peak was something special

I couldn’t tell you why but there was something about the way he displayed intensity pre timeskip that hooked me

He was also much better at drawing fights in general

Compare Luffy vs Crocodile to any fight post timeskip excluding maybe Luffy vs Katakuri

There’s no comparison

Luffy used to be a smart fighter… like a really smart fighter

Take this sequence for example

He stretched back for a Gum Gum Bullet and blocked his own attack with his foot to avoid falling for Crocodile’s bait and getting drained again

Then since he was left open for a counter attack from Croc he stretched back to grab something so he could pull himself away

Luffy gets a lot more love compared to other brawlers in anime because he’s always used his rubber in unique ways to take out his enemies

He still does it from time to time but there’s no comparison

When was the last time we got anything close to this level?

Haki clash 1, 2, and 3 on repeat

- fake deaths
- too much focus on the MC. Yes MC's have always the most focus but it’s like Luffy is the sun and the whole world is revolving around him
- less focus on the other SHC members anx side characters
- pacing
- a lot of off panelling
- too many unnecessary side characters
- nearly no or poor character developments

Good List. Agreed.
Post automatically merged:

Oda: I feel the happiest when I draw silhouette.:risiup:

Soo true hahahahah

I couldn’t tell you why but there was something about the way he displayed intensity pre timeskip that hooked me

Compare Luffy vs Crocodile to any fight post timeskip excluding maybe Luffy vs Katakuri

There’s no comparison

He stretched back for a Gum Gum Bullet and blocked his own attack with his foot to avoid falling for Crocodile’s bait and getting drained again

Then since he was left open for a counter attack from Croc he stretched back to grab something so he could pull himself away

Luffy gets a lot more love compared to other brawlers in anime because he’s always used his rubber in unique ways to take out his enemies

I never really payed attention to this but youre right if i compare the Movement Drawings and intesity as you mentioned of some of his Pre Ts Figthing Panels with Post Ts his new Art clearly is sometimes lacking that feeling

Power Level Fanservice: It goes to hyping current villains and certain characters so much only to keep audience interesting on it. Like he did with Law at Punk Hazard. Doflamingo at Dressrosa. Scabbards before Kaido beat them.

Plot Convenience: When Oda needs certain character to be in a certain place, to face certain character, to do certain thing but he does it poorly. Like Big Mom freeing Luffy at Udon. Neither Sabo or Fujitora taking out Doflamingo. Jinbei going after Who's Who.

Breaking audience expectation: When it is done a few times in key moments it is perfect. But Oda specially lately it seems to be adding it almost every chapter. Be it fake deaths or fake desperate situations that turns the other way in a silly way. So we have Kanjuro dying thousand of times. Apoo always getting up after being "defeated". Appo ability being countered by covering your ears. Strawhats humiliating Big Mom.

I guess those are the major issues. People talk about pace but that is not a issue at all when you have complete arcs. Those issues I quoted still bother when the arc is completed.

There’s no comparison

now with air punching :ihaha:

huge filler that kills the pace of the middle of the arc, which is deliberate

Turned way too much in Jesus Luffy piece while the other SHs are desaparecidos. Fale tension is a cancer, Oda pretends readers should be worried for Sabo, Vivi, Coby etc etc. when you know they will be alive and well. Maybe change a bit the formula for once, the only "great moments" I have seen in the post time skip are G4 reveal, liked Zoro vs Pica a bit, the minks revealing they hid Raizou and now Shanks vs Kidd but this is far too less for something so big as the whole post time skip. Marineford alone has more great moments.