Questions & Mysteries What did Roger/Luffy say?

So the Official Translation released, and the context of how it is worded is definitely interesting.

Ace says "That's at the end of my little brothers dream." "I really think he can make it happen."

What we can gather from that is that it is something that can only happen after Luffy becomes Pirate King, and apparently, Roger wanted to do the same thing. Luffy also said this in front of Shanks, as Shanks told Rayleigh that Luffy spoke the same exact words Roger did.

All these years definitely thought it was Roger saying it was him wanting to be Pirate King, but thats definitely not the case. Given the type of character Luffy is, I can see it being something along the lines of "Once I become Pirate King, I'll throw the biggest party there ever was and invite the whole World."
It's gonna be something so silly yet amazing.
Something like how for example in our real world you ask me "what is your ambition?" and I reply with "I will become spiderman" LMAO

"Im gonna die smiling!" Something along those lines.

Reason for thinking that:

1 - According to Rayleigh Roger was called Pirate King by the news outlets. I can imagine he may have come up with the name himself but Rayleigh implied Roger was surprised and happy with his new title not so much that he envisioned it.

2 - It supposed to be something that ONLY Roger and Luffy have said. Thousands of pirates before and after Luffy have said they are going to be the Pirate King. I cant see Shanks going all the way to Rayleigh with that. But a little kid with that kinda determination already making that kind of statement would stick with you.

3 - Oden had heard the words and was stunned by them. He then proceeded to Die smiling in the pot of Oden even tho he's not a D. The only one to do so without the D initial IIRC. Ace who has heard the statement ALSO died smiling in front of Luffy possibly to show him that his dream is still achievable

4 - In Stephen Paul's official translation Ace says that "That's at the END of my little brothers dream" Potentially implying that its something he wants to accomplish after becoming PK.

Was gonna find all the manga panels for this but fuck that yall know what happened lmao

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
"I don't want to rule the seas or anything. I was want to be free to do whatever I want".
It's gonna be something simple as that. Roger never wanted the PK title. It was something the news started calling him after he reached Laugh Tale.
In a word where everybody wants to have power and rule, someone that doesn't inherently cares about it is not common. I think that's what makes Roger and Luffy special.

WTF people, its clearly "I'm gonna become the Pirate King"

That is what Luffy say in the end of chapter 1000, just after Oda show Ace talking about what Luffy said and even Kaido talk to BM about what Luffy dared to say to him.

English is not my first language and some times i become suprised with how much of basical skills of text interpretation some native english speakers lack.

WTF people, its clearly "I'm gonna become the Pirate King"

That is what Luffy say in the end of chapter 1000, just after Oda show Ace talking about what Luffy said and even Kaido talk to BM about what Luffy dared to say to him.

English is not my first language and some times i become suprised with how much of basical skills of text interpretation some native english speakers lack.
Nah it's not pirate king. WG gave Pirate King title to Roger after he conquered or found Raftel/Laughtale. And as per Shanks, Luffy has uttered the same words as Roger did. Roger wouldn't have any idea about the title pirate king before reaching Laughtale. So it's definitely not pirate king imo.
Plus lot of pirates dream of becoming pirate king. Most of the crew members in Kaido's crew dreamt of becoming PK. Kidd openly tells the world that he wants to be PK. So I don't think it's related to PK.
WB claimed that Roger's dream was childish when Roger told WB about his dream. Ace, Sabo laughed when Luffy told them about his dream. So his dream is probably going to be a childish and laughable. Maybe he wants to have a huge party with all the people in the world lol

Last edited: