General & Others What do you thini about Kishi copying Togashi?

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking inspiration from others' works, that's bound to happen eventually. By improving on things others have done, Shounen is developing.

As for actual copying @Just a member, I'd be interested in those articles to have a base for discussion.

@FloriGlori Well more than articles it is better to say that they were posts which highlighted these odd similarities.

Anyway these are the points:

Plot: Chunin exam is the hunter exam. HE starts with a test (old woman), CE starts with a test (snake girl), HE(CE) has a phase where you have to steal the tags (scrolls) from other people to advance, HE(CE) ends with a tournament to decide who pass it (same but HxH tournament was more original).

Killua(Sasuke) is Gon(Naruto) best friend, after a certain point the MC has to save his shady friend from his evil mentor who tries to make him become evil and go under his wing. Difference is that HxH makes this last an arc while Naruto bases the entire serie on this.

Characters:
Kurapika and Killua (Sasuke). Kurapika is the only survivor of his clan (which specializes in special red eyes with ocular powers) and his motive in life is to take revenge on the killers, also these special red eyes make him go in god mode and are activated when he is enraged.
Killua has lighting powers and an attack which reminds something that Sasuke uses qutlite often, plus all the brother drama said above.

Gon and Naruto. There is not much here aside from the standard shounen mc sad backstory and how Naruto's rasengan reminds of Gon's rock.

Orochimaru and Hisoka. Creepy pedo bastard who wants one (or even both for H) of the MC, is a villain at first but later becomes an antivillain who helps the MCs, also part of the evil killer organization which he will later betray to follow his own agenda.

Nen and Chakra. Even the tests to see which category you have are almost the same.

Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura and Gon, Killua and Biscuit.
Only Sakura and Biscuit are left, Biscuit inspires Tsunade too of course. Old woman who uses her powers to look young, great physical strength which she usually uses even to scare the MC(s).

Netero and Hashirama. The buddha.

And most likely others I skipped. I know that somebody wills say that this is normal since every manga takes inspiration from others etc but if you look at the whole picture-list the story changes.

Edit: here is a post which expands a bit or at least explains, probably better, what I have already posted: https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/533345/naruto-a-failed-copy-of-hunter-x-hunter

Last edited:
Aka Naruto copying from HxH. It was a big deal in part 1 (which was clearly the best).

Do you think this is true, false? And what about it?

If needed I will post some article(s).
Copying is a strong word. The only thing I can really think of that is similar is the 8 nen types and how nen can be applied versus the 5 chakra natures and how chakra can be used. There's so much difference between the two that "inspired by" is a much better term.

Copying is a strong word. The only thing I can really think of that is similar is the 8 nen types and how nen can be applied versus the 5 chakra natures and how chakra can be used. There's so much difference between the two that "inspired by" is a much better term.
There is that famous saying: "One coincidence is just a coincidence, two coincidences are a clue, three coincidences are a proof".

Also I agree that some similarities from that list are qeak and something like that can be found even in other shounens yet some others are strong similarities, more than 3 for sure imo XD, which are way harder to explain.

There is that famous saying: "One coincidence is just a coincidence, two coincidences are a clue, three coincidences are a proof".

Also I agree that some similarities from that list are qeak and something like that can be found even in other shounens yet some others are strong similarities, more than 3 for sure imo XD, which are way harder to explain.
Yeah, so what's the second and third coincidence then?

None on that list are legit comparisons. For a start, Gon is a totally unique protagonist and Killua is nothing like Sasuke.

Yeah, so what's the second and third coincidence then?

None on that list are legit comparisons. For a start, Gon is a totally unique protagonist and Killua is nothing like Sasuke.
There is a list to choose from XD

Why are they not legit? I can agree Gon was left pretty much unschated but Sasuke takes plenty from Killua and Kurapika.

Last edited:
There is a list to choose from XD

Why are they not legit? I can agree Gon was left prerry much unschated but Sasuke takes plenty from Killua and Kurapika.
You can argue that the role of Sasuke is similar to Killua, but only in part 1. It's totally different from then on. The revenge story of Kurapika again is similar, but the nature of the revenge is different. All revenge stories have the same layout, so Kishi isn't taking a page out of Togashi's book in particular.

The premise of the manga is different

Hisoka is not an embittered psychopath, he's a nonce. There's a huge difference between Orochimaru and Hisoka, such as the fact Hisoka's actually interested in Gon as prey to kill, rather than how Orochimaru saw Sasuke as a vessel to nurture. Totally different. These types of characters exist in most shounen, it's not just those two especially.

Hashirama isn't a fucking Buddha, what's that about?

Also, the tournament arcs are not copies. They're different in their rules and tests. Furthermore, Kishi uses his as a platform to introduce characters, Togashi uses his to focus on the main cast. Big difference in writing style here. Plus, almost every shounen has tournament arcs. Togashi didnt start this trend either. It started in Kinnikuman by Yoshinori Nakai. Togashi and Toriyama copied this trope with DB and YYH.

You're drawing a lot of false comparisons but i could go on

You can argue that the role of Sasuke is similar to Killua, but only in part 1. It's totally different from then on. The revenge story of Kurapika again is similar, but the nature of the revenge is different. All revenge stories have the same layout, so Kishi isn't taking a page out of Togashi's book in particular.

The premise of the manga is different

Hisoka is not an embittered psychopath, he's a nonce. There's a huge difference between Orochimaru and Hisoka, such as the fact Hisoka's actually interested in Gon as prey to kill, rather than how Orochimaru saw Sasuke as a vessel to nurture. Totally different. These types of characters exist in most shounen, it's not just those two especially.

Hashirama isn't a fucking Buddha, what's that about?

Also, the tournament arcs are not copies. They're different in their rules and tests. Furthermore, Kishi uses his as a platform to introduce characters, Togashi uses his to focus on the main cast. Big difference in writing style here. Plus, almost every shounen has tournament arcs. Togashi didnt start this trend either. It started in Kinnikuman by Yoshinori Nakai. Togashi and Toriyama copied this trope with DB and YYH.

You're drawing a lot of false comparisons but i could go on
Be my guest. Anyway sure, this is specific to part 1 and I have written that in the very first post here. Very similair but I guess that even some other stories go quite close to that.. but if you add to that the red eyes and their powers, which are specific of this clan which was erased, it becomes a ridicoulous.

I didn't say he made a copy paste but there are very strong similarites. Sure one is about magic ninjas in a ninja like world and the other about magic people in a modern like world. And all what this implies.

Hisoka and Orochimaru role is veru similair but even if their motives are different the facts are very very similair. Anyway Orochimaru too wasn't taken just from Hisoka but a part is from Illumi (just like Sasuke is not just Killua or Kurapika but a mix of both).

Hashirama has a special move (was that his strongest?) which is exactly the same as Netero: a big ass buddha. Anyway this is one of the "weak" ones, this imo is legit (even if I was in Kishi I would have done something else..).

Very similair, both in stages and what the stages were about, not to talk about what they had to do (steal scrolls/tags to advance from other people), the tournament was just the cherry on the cake, both those exam arcs ended with a torunament. I agree that torunament are pretty common in shonen but I guess that everyone can tell how Dragonball or YYH tournaments are totally different from this one.

Togashi was a very specific kind set of stages/proofs, which eneded with a tournament to decide who become an hunter. Kishi made the chunin exam arc almost the same as what Toagashi did with the hunter exam. While Dragonball and YYH torunaments are just the usual simple tournament which sees the MC and friends vs the villain and other evil dudes or even random, in other words YYH or Dragonball tournament are generic while Togashi hunter exam arc is a very specific thing from which Togashi took plenty.

You have to take off your Naruto fan googles and try to be more objective. I see that there are stronger and weaker points but how can you possibly justify the similarities between Kurapika and Sasuke, Hunter exam and chunin exam arcs or the nen and chakra system.

Aka Naruto copying from HxH. It was a big deal in part 1 (which was clearly the best).

Do you think this is true, false? And what about it?

If needed I will post some article(s).
Naruto copied Harry Potter way more than anything.
Post automatically merged:

On a more serious note while Hunter X Hunter was serialized March of 1998, and Naruto was serialized early 1999, apparently the "first Draft" of Naruto was made in 1997.
But Naruto and Hunter X Hunter were almost opposites in tone and theme, so I can't really say Naruto "copied" HxH.

Last edited:
Be my guest. Anyway sure, this is specific to part 1 and I have written that in the very first post here. Very similair but I guess that even some other stories go quite close to that.. but if you add to that the red eyes and their powers, which are specific of this clan which was erased, it becomes a ridicoulous.
With specifics to part one i can understand why you would see a lot of similarities. But what this thread fails to acknowledge is most shounen battle manga follow the exact same, or very similar formats and have very similar cliches which make comparisons very easy to draw upon.

True, that is an interesting point. The eyes did something totally different though. It's a leaf out of Togashi's book, not a copy. If anything, Kishi developed this concept much further than Togashi ever did.

I didn't say he made a copy paste but there are very strong similarites. Sure one is about magic ninjas in a ninja like world and the other about magic people in a modern like world. And all what this implies.
No, that's the context. The premise is totally different.

Gon is looking for his dad, but that isn't the central focus of the story. There is no focus of the story other than Gon and Killua's development as hunters, which is systematically and consistently the focal point of all shounen manga both before and after Togashi started HxH. Conversely, Naruto had a foreseeable endpoint, endgame and end goal.

Hisoka and Orochimaru role is veru similair but even if their motives are different the facts are very very similair. Anyway Orochimaru too wasn't taken just from Hisoka but a part is from Illumi (just like Sasuke is not just Killua or Kurapika but a mix of both).
Their similarities end as soon as you overlook how creepy they are.

Hashirama has a special move (was that his strongest?) which is exactly the same as Netero: a big ass buddha. Anyway this is one of the "weak" ones, this imo is legit (even if I was in Kishi I would have done something else..).
Hashirama's Sage Mode technique was one move. Netero's Guanyan Bodhisattva was literally his fighting style. Do you see Netero making/creating/summoning giant dragons, clones, using illusions etc.? How about healing himself? One technique is NOT copying. Heck, using this logic, that makes Netero a copy of several characters from Fist of the North Star.

Very similair, both in stages and what the stages were about, not to talk about what they had to do (steal scrolls/tags to advance from other people), the tournament was just the cherry on the cake, both those exam arcs ended with a torunament. I agree that torunament are pretty common in shonen but I guess that everyone can tell how Dragonball or YYH tournaments are totally different from this one.
So are all tournament arcs. Pre-lim to qualify for the fighting. It happened in DB. It happened in YYH. It happened in Naruto. It happened in BNhA, it happened in OPM etc. etc. did they all copy Togashi as well?

You clearly have only seen DBZ and not DB part 1 if you don't know what Im talking about.

Togashi was a very specific kind set of stages/proofs, which eneded with a tournament to decide who become an hunter. Kishi made the chunin exam arc almost the same as what Toagashi did with the hunter exam. While Dragonball and YYH torunaments are just the usual simple tournament which sees the MC and friends vs the villain and other evil dudes or even random, in other words YYH or Dragonball tournament are generic while Togashi hunter exam arc is a very specific thing from which Togashi took plenty.
No he didn't. Firstly, as i said before. The Chuunin exams was a cast platform. The Hunter exam was a core cast exploration. Totally different tones and types of writing.

You have to take off your Naruto fan googles and try to be more objective. I see that there are stronger and weaker points but how can you possibly justify the similarities between Kurapika and Sasuke, Hunter exam and chunin exam arcs or the nen and chakra system.
I dont even rate Naruto that highly dude. It's the manga that got me into manga, that's the only sentiment I have with it. HxH is better, but Naruto is not a copy of HxH. Similarities doesn't mean copying. There's a difference between reference or inference and plagiarism.

at this point, if someone straight up ripped off HxH I would give a fuck. This damn manga has been going on since back when One Piece first came out and yet OP literally has over 3x the number of chapters as HxH.

smh, there are a many talented mangaka who would jump at the chance of finishing HxH. If Togashi really can't finish it, then he should just pass it on to someone who can.

I honestly think that Hiro mashima is a better mangaka than togashi. Fairy tail is a borderline Hentai but at the very least Mashima puts in a ton of work to get it done.

at this point, if someone straight up ripped off HxH I would give a fuck. This damn manga has been going on since back when One Piece first came out and yet OP literally has over 3x the number of chapters as HxH.

smh, there are a many talented mangaka who would jump at the chance of finishing HxH. If Togashi really can't finish it, then he should just pass it on to someone who can.

I honestly think that Hiro mashima is a better mangaka than togashi. Fairy tail is a borderline Hentai but at the very least Mashima puts in a ton of work to get it done.
To make matters worse, OP has missed over 120 chapters worth of content because Oda takes a break. This shows just how little Togashi cares at this point.

Togashi wasn't too bad when he was working on YYH, but we know there's no health concerns. He's just not working like the rest of us.

Togashi has health problems and I think that you can not simply pass the manga to someone else, afterall it is like a child that us made entirely from the thoughts of one single author, I think I will be ambarassed even if the author hinself would ask such a thing. Also even if I would love to see it going steadily and finish... Could you imagine what if, let' s say, Mashima took Togashi's mantle and went on with HxH? For sure I could not bear something like HxH become very similair to Fairy tail.. Lol it is an heresy just to write this XD anyway I will not want not even Oda to do it since HxH would end that day and what comes next would be another thing.

Togashi has health problems and I think that you can not simply pass the manga to someone else, afterall it is like a child that us made entirely from the thoughts of one single author, I think I will be ambarassed even if the author hinself would ask such a thing. Also even if I would love to see it going steadily and finish... Could you imagine what if, let' s say, Mashima took Togashi's mantle and went on with HxH? For sure I could not bear something like HxH become very similair to Fairy tail.. Lol it is an heresy just to write this XD anyway I will not want not even Oda to do it since HxH would end that day and what comes next would be another thing.
No he doesn't. He claims to have health problems so as to go on long hiatus' BUT people did some digging and there's no record, report or even any witness statements of him having any kind of long term ailment etc. nor any medications or treatments he's taken. It's an excuse to be lazy.

HxH is clearly an unloved child, which is a massive shame.

No he doesn't. He claims to have health problems so as to go on long hiatus' BUT people did some digging and there's no record, report or even any witness statements of him having any kind of long term ailment etc. nor any medications or treatments he's taken. It's an excuse to be lazy.

HxH is clearly an unloved child, which is a massive shame.
Oh come on, now please let's not start to spit at Togashi for this. He is a worldwide renowed mangaka, a great professionist and one of the best out there, do you really believe he will neglect his work to play Dragonquest? He has health problems and that doesn't necessarily means just his body but also pshycological ones since mangakas are under a lot of pressure, that already was visible at the end of YYH, and not everybody is Oda.

Last edited:
Oh come on, now please let's not start to spit at Togashi for this. He is a worldwide renowed mangaka, a great professionist and one of the best out there, do you really believe he will neglect his work to play Dragonquest? He has health problems and that doesn't necessarily means just his body but also pshycological ones since mangakas are under a lot of pressure, that already was visible at the end of YYH, and not everybody is Oda.
Yeah dude you get treatment for physical and mental ailments. Togashis had neither. He's an exceptionally good Mangaka, I agree, but he certainly is not a model professional.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness

Just so you know, Mashima has about 3 assistants working for him at once. That's the reason he can bust so many chapters.