Speculations What if the WSSM is just anyone who can create a black blade?

There are only two characters who have ever created a black blade. Ryuma and Mihawk. Mihawk is the WSSM and Ryuma was "sword god".

So far, Mihawk is hyped to be one of the strongest characters in OP. Yet there are a few who undeniably have greater hype than him. Roger, WB, and Xebec definitely have this portrayal.

Shanks, while assumed to be below Mihawk due to Mihawk's title, still has portrayal on par with Mihawk and much better feats at the moment. In fact I do think its worth noting that Mihawk's superiority over Shanks is specifically qualified.

Its never outright said that Mihawk is more dangerous than Shanks, or even that he's outright stronger. Just that his sword skills are greater. And I'm not saying this means Mihawk is weaker than Shanks, I think that's up for debate. The fact of the matter is, Mihawk has never fought prime Shanks. Shanks became a yonko only 4 years ago whereas he lost his arm like 10+ years ago and Mihawk refused to fight him since.

So why exactly does Brannew say that Mihawk has greater sword skill when they haven't fought in over a decade? Did Mihawk just fraudulently take credit for the lord of the coast taking Shanks's arm? While that would be funny, I think it would be a bit underwhelming.

The only real feat we have of Mihawk that could put him over Shanks is the fact that he made Yoru a black blade. This along with the fact that Ryuma is the only other one we know who made a black blade, leads me to think that the WSSM is simply anyone who creates a black blade. The black blade is the pinnacle of sword skill and anyone who can create one is worthy of the WSSM title.

While I don't really care about the Shanks vs Mihawk conversation too much, Oda portrayed them to be close in strength and I doubt he will ever give a definitive answer on who is stronger, I do think this could come into play later in the series.

Nasujuro has to be Zoro's final fight, yet he isn't the WSSM. I'm still wondering how Oda is going to deal with this. But one way could be if WSSM isn't purely a strength based title. Of course, you cannot be weak to be WSSM, just like you cannot be weak to be PK. However there is an aspect of the title that isn't inherently a powerlevel feat: unlocking a black blade. I believe this is purely a skill based feat. A character can have immense strength and ACoC power like Roger, the gura gura no mi like WB, but only a masterfully skilled swordsman can create a black blade.

In Zoro vs Nasujuro, Zoro will probably have already attained the WSSM title. Yet Nasujuro will be stronger due to his awakened mythical zoan and immortality. However Zoro will surpass Nasujuro's DF powers and immortality with his immense sword skill, probably granting him a new title even greater than WSSM. "Strongest swordsman in history" or "Sword god" imo.

There are only two characters who have ever created a black blade. Ryuma and Mihawk. Mihawk is the WSSM and Ryuma was "sword god".

So far, Mihawk is hyped to be one of the strongest characters in OP. Yet there are a few who undeniably have greater hype than him. Roger, WB, and Xebec definitely have this portrayal.

Shanks, while assumed to be below Mihawk due to Mihawk's title, still has portrayal on par with Mihawk and much better feats at the moment. In fact I do think its worth noting that Mihawk's superiority over Shanks is specifically qualified.

Its never outright said that Mihawk is more dangerous than Shanks, or even that he's outright stronger. Just that his sword skills are greater. And I'm not saying this means Mihawk is weaker than Shanks, I think that's up for debate. The fact of the matter is, Mihawk has never fought prime Shanks. Shanks became a yonko only 4 years ago whereas he lost his arm like 10+ years ago and Mihawk refused to fight him since.

So why exactly does Brannew say that Mihawk has greater sword skill when they haven't fought in over a decade? Did Mihawk just fraudulently take credit for the lord of the coast taking Shanks's arm? While that would be funny, I think it would be a bit underwhelming.

The only real feat we have of Mihawk that could put him over Shanks is the fact that he made Yoru a black blade. This along with the fact that Ryuma is the only other one we know who made a black blade, leads me to think that the WSSM is simply anyone who creates a black blade. The black blade is the pinnacle of sword skill and anyone who can create one is worthy of the WSSM title.

While I don't really care about the Shanks vs Mihawk conversation too much, Oda portrayed them to be close in strength and I doubt he will ever give a definitive answer on who is stronger, I do think this could come into play later in the series.

Nasujuro has to be Zoro's final fight, yet he isn't the WSSM. I'm still wondering how Oda is going to deal with this. But one way could be if WSSM isn't purely a strength based title. Of course, you cannot be weak to be WSSM, just like you cannot be weak to be PK. However there is an aspect of the title that isn't inherently a powerlevel feat: unlocking a black blade. I believe this is purely a skill based feat. A character can have immense strength and ACoC power like Roger, the gura gura no mi like WB, but only a masterfully skilled swordsman can create a black blade.

In Zoro vs Nasujuro, Zoro will probably have already attained the WSSM title. Yet Nasujuro will be stronger due to his awakened mythical zoan and immortality. However Zoro will surpass Nasujuro's DF powers and immortality with his immense sword skill, probably granting him a new title even greater than WSSM. "Strongest swordsman in history" or "Sword god" imo.
Interesting so when Zoro gets BB, he will not try to beat Mihawk anymore since he took his title?

The only real feat we have of Mihawk that could put him over Shanks is the fact that he made Yoru a black blade.
Well then the problem comes in that Zoro trained with mihawk and both mihawk and Zoro knew that Zoro was training with mihawk to get his title

So why didn’t Mihawk tell Zoro he can get the title by just making black blade? Zoro left the two year time skip hellbent on one day fighting and beating mihawk… Why didn’t Mihawk tell Zoro anytime before that actually there’s an alternative method to getting the title?

Mihawk will either take a huge win (if he shows better feats than shanks) or huge L (if he fail to show better feats than shanks)

While they are comparable imo which ever direction it goes , it will be fun to see it :myman:

Interesting so when Zoro gets BB, he will not try to beat Mihawk anymore since he took his title?
Well then the problem comes in that Zoro trained with mihawk and both mihawk and Zoro knew that Zoro was training with mihawk to get his title

So why didn’t Mihawk tell Zoro he can get the title by just making black blade? Zoro left the two year time skip hellbent on one day fighting and beating mihawk… Why didn’t Mihawk tell Zoro anytime before that actually there’s an alternative method to getting the title?
Probably because only such challenge as the pinnacle of a life dedicated to fighting will make it possible to form such permanent bond with the blade, which is why what Ryuma, Mihawk and Zoro truly share as a distinctive trait that the likes of Roger, Shanks, etc. don't is that they consciously searched for adversaries to defeat.

A black blade probably happens when the swordsman fully connects his will to his sword, which is the very definition of "strongest sword" given by Koushiro, and I doubt it's a coincidence that Ryuma, Mihawk and Zoro all want to battle his way to the top; will hardly be unrelated to forging a black blade, specially because it's a popular trope in Japanese works (I bet you've played at least one videogame with requisites such as "win +50 fights" for a character to evolve into a stronger form).

Doubt someone like Roger, who never showed any significant interest in looking for strong people to defeat, could ever forge a black blade; it wasn't the path he folllowed.

Probably because only such challenge as the pinnacle of a life dedicated to fighting will make it possible to form such permanent bond with the blade, which is why what Ryuma, Mihawk and Zoro truly share as a distinctive trait that the likes of Roger, Shanks, etc. don't is that they consciously searched for adversaries to defeat.

A black blade probably happens when the swordsman fully connects his will to his sword, which is the very definition of "strongest sword" given by Koushiro, and I doubt it's a coincidence that Ryuma, Mihawk and Zoro all want to battle his way to the top; will hardly be unrelated to forging a black blade, specially because it's a popular trope in Japanese works (I bet you've played at least one videogame with requisites such as "win +50 fights" for a character to evolve into a stronger form).

Doubt someone like Roger, who never showed any significant interest in looking for strong people to defeat, could ever forge a black blade; it wasn't the path he folllowed.
You haven’t answered why Mihawk never told Zoro any of this.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman

Next time bring GARP or SENGOKU
Charges at ODEN and WHITEBEARD
And straight for ROX
Yeah never looked for strong people

You haven’t answered why Mihawk never told Zoro any of this.
Plot

Same reason Rayleigh never told Luffy about ACoC
Post automatically merged:

Also obviously there is a strength aspect to WSSM. If Zoro gets a black blade and Mihawk is still alive, Zoro does need to defeat him.

Im just saying it’s not just based off strength. There is a skill aspect to WSSM. This is why Mihawk is WSSM despite never actually defeating Shanks, or really any top tier that we know of.

By getting a black blade, Mihawk proved he was the most skilled swordsman. Whether or not he is actually stronger than Shanks is irrelevant to this fact.

SM. If Zoro gets a black blade and Mihawk is still alive, Zoro does need to defeat him.
Wait a minute, so what if Zoro defeats mihawk and doesn’t kill him? And what happens if Zoro beats mihawk without a black blade, does he not get the title?

Why Rayleigh never told Luffy anything about awakening nor advanced forms of armament and conqueror's?
@Charlotte Horchata
I mean technically those have nothing to do with Luffy’s dream… Apparently Zoro literally cannot become WSS if he doesn’t make a black blade?

so like even if Zoro beats mihawk, if he doesn’t have a black blade, he doesn’t get the title? This is very important to leave out

Last edited:
Plot

Same reason Rayleigh never told Luffy about ACoC

Also obviously there is a strength aspect to WSSM. If Zoro gets a black blade and Mihawk is still alive, Zoro does need to defeat him.

Im just saying it’s not just based off strength. There is a skill aspect to WSSM. This is why Mihawk is WSSM despite never actually defeating Shanks, or really any top tier that we know of.

By getting a black blade, Mihawk proved he was the most skilled swordsman. Whether or not he is actually stronger than Shanks is irrelevant to this fact.
You literally not making any sense