Questions & Mysteries What makes Shanks > Mihawk?

Shanks currently has better portrayal. I believe Oda keeps it ambiguous on purpose but Mihawk simply has not been afforded the same level of portrayal as the other Top Tiers.

I know the topic is contentious because Zoro is involved, but I would say that so far the narrative indicates that Shanks should be superior overall. I do believe that there is a distinction between swordfighting abilities and overall strength, and that seems to be the linchpin of the entire issue. Oda could go either way with it but from the way he has set up the top tiers I believe that the position that there is a distinction is the correct one. That could change whenever we finally see Shanks in action. I think it would be incredibly dull if he just turns out to be another character of the large sword slash slinging variety. I see no purpose in that.

Then by that logic, Mihawk > Roger for the exact same fucking reason.
People say Mihawk > Shanks because both are living in the same world right now and both are swordsmen.

We don't know anything about Mihawk's title in relation to Roger's era or to when Roger was alive.
So you can't jump to "Mihawk > Roger" just based on Roger being a swordsman and Mihawk being the current WSS.

That wasnt because roger was pirate king though. Thats just a journey.
Listen, we all know PK is just a Journey milestone or a fight against Blackbeard at Laugh Tale or whatever but YOU know there is more to it than that right? Surpassing Roger is more than just becoming PK, that would only have Luffy EQUATE to Roger.

Odens flashback made it entirely clear that even after Roger became PK, he couldn't "save" the world. THAT is truly the goal Oda has for Luffy, and by that he would have to surpass Roger. Thus if Zoro>Mihawk who is apparently stronger than Shanks and Roger, you are getting to a point where somehow Zoro has the bigger goal by some silly logic.

People say Mihawk > Shanks because both are living in the same world right now and both are swordsmen.

We don't know anything about Mihawk's title in relation to Roger's era or to when Roger was alive.
So you can't jump to "Mihawk > Roger" just based on Roger being a swordsman and Mihawk being the current WSS.
Except Roger was never called the WSS in the past so....

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Listen, we all know PK is just a Journey milestone or a fight against Blackbeard at Laugh Tale or whatever but YOU know there is more to it than that right? Surpassing Roger is more than just becoming PK, that would only have Luffy EQUATE to Roger.

Odens flashback made it entirely clear that even after Roger became PK, he couldn't "save" the world. THAT is truly the goal Oda has for Luffy, and by that he would have to surpass Roger.

Except Roger was never called the WSS in the past so....
And luffy isnt doing that because of his individual strength hes gonna do it because of the allies he will have

No one said and created a rumor that Roger was World's Greatest Swordsman.

So by default, mihawk should be > Roger too.

But in truth, that rumor title is meaningless when it comes to top tiers.

Let alone top-tiers, we didn't even see a high-tier wanting to be the world's greatest swordsman, if no one cares that, how can that be better than top-tiers when Shanks is a top-tier himself.

Either way, mihawk is irrelevant to this story, I've been telling this long time ago, before they removed mihawk's Shichibukai title, mihawk's fans were saying that Shichibukai mihawk will fight alongside with world government in the final war, so now they removed mihawk's shichibukai title, that option is no longer available. But mihawk fans are still dreaming on mihawk will be relevant to the main story somehow.

And there are even people talking about shonen story logic :milaugh: How can a guy like mihawk, who is irrelevent to the main story, showing up as more powerful than even Shanks, Luffy's last or second last opponent before becoming the Pirate King... I guess that make sense for them in terms of story telling.