Questions & Mysteries What makes Shanks > Mihawk?

I'll say it one more time cause I'm done discussing it. Mihawk as the WSS title. This implies he is the greatest and strongest swordsman in the world. This does not imply he is the strongest pirate or man or creature or combatant in the world. Swordsmanship is a skillset. Nothing implies Shanks or any other Yonko are weaker than Mihawk purely because we:

- Do not know enough about any Yonko to compare their strengths to Mihawk, and vice versa (i.e., too early to say Shanks is ONLY a swordsman or competed strictly for the WSS title)

- Cannot imply Mihawk can or has beaten any of them in a battle.

I do not doubt he is the greatest swordsman compared to all 4 Yonko and every other character in this seris, I do doubt that he has surpassed all 4 Yonko in combat ability.

That's it. Got nothing more to say about it.

Boy let me tell u something zoro ain t no pure swordsman he just like ray who kicked once

Or ur a troll or just that stupid and can t read how the fk shanks and ray arent swordsmen
I swear op fandom the most retarded one :milaugh:

Oh my god dude, MIHAWK IS BETTER THAN RAYLEIGH AT SWORDSMANSHIP.

Did I really have to fucking spell that out? Learn to read!

Thats NOT my argument! Read my last post please, I'm outa here.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I'll say it one more time cause I'm done discussing it. Mihawk as the WSS title. This implies he is the greatest and strongest swordsman in the world. This does not imply he is the strongest pirate or man or creature or combatant in the world. Swordsmanship is a skillset. Nothing implies Shanks or any other Yonko are weaker than Mihawk purely because we:

- Do not know enough about any Yonko to compare their strengths to Mihawk, and vice versa (i.e., too early to say Shanks is ONLY a swordsman or competed strictly for the WSS title)

- Cannot imply Mihawk can or has beaten any of them in a battle.

I do not doubt he is the greatest swordsman compared to all 4 Yonko and every other character in this seris, I do doubt that he has surpassed all 4 Yonko in combat ability.

That's it. Got nothing more to say about it.
Pirate isnt a fighting style.

Shanks fodder ass cant even make a kokuto
Next to the WSS title, that black blade argument is probably the No.2 in line from the "Mihawk side" (not trying to label you specifically, just getting the point across..)
It's potentially a byproduct of great CoA usage. That certainly speaks for Mihawk, especially when only him and Ryuma were the only ones able to achieve it somehow.

But if you value it so much, how can you at the same time neglect the hypothetical potential that CoC wields? Especially when it's the haki color that has like 30times more hype than CoA ever had?

Doesn't it make you suspicious? If the byproduct of CoA mastery is so great, even though it's pretty much just a more durable sword, wouldn't the byproduct of greater CoC usage potentially be a whole lot greater?
I mean it's not like it's impossible to anticipate certain things, even if we got titles and stuff.

If for example Primebeard can match up to Prime Roger without his fruit-what he did-, how will Roger see land against all out Primebeard, awakened gura no Mi and stuff like that included?
Giving non CoC Roger a black blade will most likely not do the trick or am I wrong?
There has to be a way. And honestly what's even left other than advanced CoC?

HA001

Next to the WSS title, that black blade argument is probably the No.2 in line from the "Mihawk side" (not trying to label you specifically, just getting the point across..)
It's potentially a byproduct of great CoA usage. That certainly speaks for Mihawk, especially when only him and Ryuma were the only ones able to achieve it somehow.

But if you value it so much, how can you at the same time neglect the hypothetical potential that CoC wields? Especially when it's the haki color that has like 30times more hype than CoA ever had?

Doesn't it make you suspicious? If the byproduct of CoA mastery is so great, even though it's pretty much just a more durable sword, wouldn't the byproduct of greater CoC usage potentially be a whole lot greater?
I mean it's not like it's impossible to anticipate certain things, even if we got titles and stuff.

If for example Primebeard can match up to Prime Roger without his fruit-what he did-, how will Roger see land against all out Primebeard, awakened gura no Mi and stuff like that included?
Giving non CoC Roger a black blade will most likely not do the trick or am I wrong?
There has to be a way. And honestly what's even left other than advanced CoC?
Loads of people have coc. Only 2 in history made a kokuto.

What? Have they ever fought? The fuck kind of logic is that? Whitebeards title comes from his ability to stand on par with Roger. Its not a competitive title because nobody else stood on par with Roger.

Kaido's title IS competitive. "1v1, always bet on Kaido".

And my god, I've said it 50 times, I BELIEVE Mihawk is the WSS and better than Shanks, I just dont think the WSS is commensurate with the others (Pirate King, WSM, WSC, Yonko, etc). You guys alright in the head? The WSS is a SKILL related feat with swordsmanship.

The argument here has always been that Shanks can be stronger than Mihawk if there is more to him than just using his sword.
So by that Logic, Garp can be stronger than Roger because at no point in the manga it is said that Garp lose to him and they fought several times.

The issue is here. We disagree with the fact that Mihawk’s title is an only skill based title. Especially because :

-The word skill does not appear in the title
-Never in the manga skill was highlighted to be the requirement to be the WSS
-Worst,in Zoro flashback we learn that skill alone in not enough for it.
-Throughout the story we saw Zoro trained time and time again and never we saw him trained his skills but tether trained his body to gain muscle strength.

You ask us if we are all right in the head while you are willing to create all kind of excuse to rule out Shanks of the WSS discussion, only to protect your theory that Shanks will be Luffy’s final fight. When all we did/do is using Oda’s words. I hope you realize that.

HA001

Again, cherry picking, there are 3 other words I used there. Strongest pirate implies exactly what it is, the strongest pirate. Whitebeard was the strongest man, and thus likely the strongest pirate. Kaido is now likely the strongest pirate. No confusion on it being a fighting style.
Shanks fighting style is swordsman
Post automatically merged:

Okay. And how many people do you think will have advanced CoC, when already just a handful will have stuff like Future sight?
Why would wb not have advanced coc ?

Okay. And how many people do you think will have advanced CoC, when already just a handful will have stuff like Future sight?
So you are basically saying that because you think that Advanced CoC will be Op we should consider it OP and give the benefit of the doubt to Shanks?

The same reasoning was apply to Kidd’s magnetism power and we know how it turned out.

Shanks fighting style is swordsman
Talking in circles. Mihawk > Shanks in swordsmanship. I've said it only 3 billion times already. The problem is, we don't know if the swordsmanship is exclusive (Shanks barely has done anything in the series thus far) or if it meant anything to Shanks in terms of the WSS. Nobody knew Roger was at least a partial swordsman until Oden's flashback. But we also knew he used guns prior to that and likely his fists. Nobody knew Whitebeards power and other strengths until Marineford (and he used the Bisento prior to this)

Anyway I'm done, clearly this does not get through to anyone

So you are basically saying that because you think that Advanced CoC will be Op we should consider it OP and give the benefit of the doubt to Shanks?
D: Luffy's haoshoku haki was able to affect 50,000 men, but how many would Shanks and the others be able to defeat? P.N. Captain Nobuo

O: In exactly the same place and exact same situation as Luffy, Shanks or Rayleigh may have been capable of knocking out all 100,000. In a different setting, you can't really compare just by asking "how many people". Being able to knock an enemy out with haki depends entirely on having an overwhelming power gap between the two. In Luffy's case the point is the number of people that were so weak that they were not even worth him fighting. If there were 100,000 to-some-extent-strong-willed pirates before him, it's possible that he wouldn't even be able to knock out a single one. On a related note, as one's proficiency with haoshoku advances, it's even possible to target a few people in a crowd to NOT knock out.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_65
:kayneshrug:

Whitebeard's weapon confirmed as; Meito.

D: Please tell me the name of Whitebeard's huge "sword". Is that a Great sword?
Oda: Whitebeard's Naginata is called "Murakumogiri (Cloud Cutter)", it's a Supreme Grade Blade/Sword.
--- SBS Volume 93

Literal Meanings of Meito: "Famous Sword", "Excellent Sword" or "Named Sword"

There are three confirmed 12 Supreme Grade Swords; Yoru, Shodai Kitetsu and Murakumogiri (Whitebeard's sword).

Whitebeard is a swordsman according to mihawk fans, and according to their logic it's mihawk > Whitebeard. :milaugh:

Oda: Whitebeard's Naginata is called "Murakumogiri (Cloud Cutter)", it's a Supreme Grade Blade/Sword.
--- SBS Volume 93

There are three confirmed 12 Supreme Grade Swords; Yoru, Shodai Kitetsu and Murakumogiri (Whitebeard's sword).

Whitebeard is a swordsman according to mihawk fans, and according to their logic it's mihawk > Whitebeard. :milaugh:
Whitebeard's Naginata is called
Mate, it's a naginata, not a sword. It's literally right there.

Meito- named blades(bladed weapons such as swords, spears and naginata)

Kenshi- swordsman(one who fights with swords)

Ken-sword
To-blade

Edit: I don't even foken speak japanese but I've seen this retarded argument enough times to internalize the rebuttal

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper

--- SBS Volume 93

Whitebeard wasn't even anymore WSM in his old age.

Buggy was simply wrong thinking he was the same powerhouse he had acknowledged a long time in the past, and that was proven when Kizaru was doing the hell he wanted against Shirohige.

Furthermore, when Whitebeard was a legit WSM, Mihawk wasn't a WSS.

For anyone who wants to downplay Mihawk by using the "Roger was a swordsman"
first of all,
Mihawk was NOT strongest swordsman in Roger era... so, your whole argument is in vein when Mihawk was merely an infamous swordsman, not a legend like now...

Secondly, Roger's rival himself, WB clashed with Roger in his weapon, and we have seen wit our own eyes that WB eventually ends up using his fists WAAAY MORE in Marineford... but in that small flashback, it was just a mere start of the battle, Oda made sure not to show much of Roger... so it's highly likely that he can use fists in his fight too... cause that's what it seems like the old generation style (Garp/Sengoku/WB) so I wouldn't exclude Roger from that...

And why do I do that with Roger BUT NOT SHANKS... Because:
1- swordsman can fight one handed and not seem disadvanteous, while if you are a brawler, you need BOTH FISTS a lot more... so Shanks is basically a HELL LOT STRONGER using a sword...
2- ANND he's been confirmed to by a "swordsman" by Oda, in canon manga since he had duels with Mihawk, and in interviews and in SBS and in databook...

On the other hand, Oda never described someone like WB as a swordsman, EVEN THOUGH his weapon is considered a blade among the supreme 12...

Not only that, but I also believe that Mihawk can overcome WB when WB is using the spear, while I believe Mihawk will lose once WB starts using his fists

So, yeah, he can still be regarded as WSS against WB and STILL lose to him by basically when WB use the bisanto, Mihawk breaks it or some shit, but still eventually lose to an angry tremur fist form Oyaji

Same with Roger and rest

Why would wb not have advanced coc ?
Because Oda balances that kinda stuff out. You know that just as much as me. Primbeard won't be Primeroger's all out equal with an awakened Gura no mi on top.

And we know through Luffy that guys can be specialized in it.
And the earlier Pirate King, who seemingly did not have a fruit or anything special besides potential maxCoA and CoO, most likely rather has it, just as the mid gen- mentor kimda guy with special portrayal in it, more likely than not is specialized in it aswell.
In Shanks' case Oda obviously puts emphasis on his CoC for a reason.

Let's not discard highly likely assumptions and common sense solely for the sake of arguing here.

The same reasoning was apply to Kidd’s magnetism power and we know how it turned out.
No, not because I would like it to be that way, but rather because it is a no brainer assumption.
It's still the most hyped ability in the series.
Like I said above, let's not discard common sense just for the sake of arguing.
I mean you can't tell me that you honestly believe that advanced CoC will be not worth its salt. Why would anyone chose to believe so?

And no, not for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but rather just to remain susceptible to the possibility that Shanks could still be stronger overall (against all their peers on average), even though the WSS title is a thing, because of reasons. It's a chain of arguments, that as a whole make a lot of sense actually.
You made it yourself a little too easy with that "So you are basically saying.. "-line.

And you are comparing apples to oranges. I don't know where I should even start with that.
1)People wanted it to be electromagnetism/pretty much Magneto's equal. First fault.
2)We have not even seen its full potential just yet anyway.
3) Why would the supposed disappointment of one specific fruit's ability lower the expectation about the advanced stage of the most hyped power of the series?

Just to clarify that. It got that kinda hype and portrayal within the manga, this is not really my point of view.