Questions & Mysteries What to you is the most important element of a successful story?

What's the most important one to you?

• Total voters
All of the options are important to a story and any one could be argued be the most important one.

However when I think of stories that became popular despite lacking in some areas mentioned by the opening post, the ones that became successful despite their weaknesses usually became successful because of one simple area.

The cast.

Folk can be quite willing to forgive weak plots and uninspiring antagonists/protagonists if the overall cast is entertaining.

I can think of a few series with weak plots that became popular because folk enjoyed the overall cast of characters such as Bleach and Dragonball.

I do not know of any series with a strong plot but unenjoyable characters that became a big success.

Characters are ultimately the main area that people are invested in. We watch stories to see what happens to characters, how they overcome challenges, how they deal with loss, how they react to circumstances etc.

The greatest plot in the world is not going to save a story if nobody cares about what happens to any of the characters in said story.

So in my opinion, the overall cast is the most important option in the poll since it can make up for all of the other areas on the list.

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
In my opinion it's the cast, followed by the plot.

Plot is what drives the people to check something out. I typically look up the synopsis when someone tells me to check something out. If it piques my interest I check it out. But over time, the cast grows on you and you stick for them. That's why I read OP for as long as I have. And many other manga, like NNT.

But at the end of the day the cast is what keeps you there imo.

I am not a big fan of many protagonists, but I still read the stories they are in due to the rest of the cast, so they don't matter much to me. Of course there are exceptions, like Death Note and Code Geass, but that's what makes them great for me.

Fights aren't a big deal for me. I like them of course, but it doesn't play a huge part in my enjoyment. Main antagonists are important to some degree, but again even if they suck the rest of the cast makes it up, at least for me. The main antagonists typically show up way later down the line and by that time the rest of the cast has already left their mark on you, therefore, even if they are not that great, e.g. The Demon King from NNT, it doesn't hamper my enjoyment that much.

So I'd say:
Cast>Plot>Main Antagonist>=Protagonist>Fights.

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
When it comes to a story, the general elements that make up the core of it are the protagonist, main antagonist, cast(rest of the characters who aren't the protag or antag), plot, and fights. How would you rank these in terms of importance in building a successful story, which is the most important to you, and why? Feel free to provide an anime or manga which exemplifies your chosen element.
Compelling waifus that I can root for:
  • Tower of God is great because of Maschenny (and the other Zahard Princesses).
  • Chainsaw Man is great because of Makima.
  • Dungeon Defence is great because of Elizabeth, Laura and Barbatos.
  • Delve was enjoyable because of Velika Vekuavak.
  • Kakegurui was enjoyable because of Yumeko Jabami and Kirari Momobami.

Compelling waifus > worldbuilding > plot > rest of the cast > main antagonist > protagonist > fights.

On a serious note, I currently read stories for characters more than the actual plot. It doesn't have to be the protagonist or antagonist, just characters that I find very compelling and who I want to explore.

I find that a lot of the stories I'm so enamored with are because of the antagonists, but that's because the characters I find the most compelling are closer to traditional villains.

When they are protagonists, they tend to be villain protagonists:
  • Death Note's Light Yagami
  • Code Geass' Lelouch Vi Britannia
  • Dungeon Defence's Dantalian

So I guess this is an argument in favour of "the cast", but there's no restriction that the character(s) I root for must be neither the protagonist nor the main antagonist.

A strong cast helps a lot. It's hard to get very invested in non central characters if the character writing isn't already strong by itself.

But of course, waifus > all.

Last edited:
@Dragomir alright, after giving it more thought, if I had to rank everything on the list in order of importance then I would rank it like this.

I) The cast as I previously mentioned.
All of the options are important to a story and any one could be argued be the most important one.

However when I think of stories that became popular despite lacking in some areas mentioned by the opening post, the ones that became successful despite their weaknesses usually became successful because of one simple area.

The cast.

Folk can be quite willing to forgive weak plots and uninspiring antagonists/protagonists if the overall cast is entertaining.

I can think of a few series with weak plots that became popular because folk enjoyed the overall cast of characters such as Bleach and Dragonball.

I do not know of any series with a strong plot but unenjoyable characters that became a big success.

Characters are ultimately the main area that people are invested in. We watch stories to see what happens to characters, how they overcome challenges, how they deal with loss, how they react to circumstances etc.

The greatest plot in the world is not going to save a story if nobody cares about what happens to any of the characters in said story.

So in my opinion, the overall cast is the most important option in the poll since it can make up for all of the other areas on the list.

II) Fights, which in this context I am interpretating less as punching people in the face and more as conflict and challenges in general, whether those conflicts and challenges be physical, emotional, moral or any other kind.

People watch stories to see how characters are affected by conflict, challenges and tough decisions. Conflict can bring out both the best and worst of characters, highlighting both the strengths and flaws of characters. It can guide characters to new heights or bring them to new lows. It can show us how characters can overcome and succeed or stumble and fail.

Conflict in whatever form it takes is what drives a story. After all, "It was a great time and nobody ever had any problems. The end." Does not make for riveting entertainment 99% of the time.

III) Protagonist. The MC, the Big P, the protagonist is the character that the story focuses on. While the cast can make up for a shit protagonist, the main character is the one person the viewer is going to be stuck with for the majority of the time so the MC should at least be tolerable if nothing else if the overall cast is going to be the main selling point.

IV) The antagonist. The antagonist is typically the main driving force behind conflict though there can be conflict without an antagonist (e.g. inner conflict or moral dilemma).

If there is an antagonist then what the antagonist needs to be more than anything else is to be an effective challenge to the protagonist and/or main cast.

In fiction, there are plenty of evil for evil's sake characters like Dragon Ball's Freiza or literal personifications of evil like Aku from Samurai Jack.

If we take Freiza for example, the bloke is not particularly interesting. His main motivations are lust for power, a desire to dominate everything around him, immortality and generally for evil lols.

Despite not being a particularly interesting character he is still an effective antagonist and villain. Why? Cause Freiza is both an utterly terrifying, menacing opponent and a genuine challenge for both the main cast and protagonist.

V) Alright, this one will probably raise a few eyebrows from folk but I would actually rank the plot as the lowest out of these five.

I do have my reasonings for this opinion though. Lol.

To begin, I can completely understand why someone would choose the plot as being the most important option. The plot is the foundation for all the events that are happening in a story and logically speaking, it probably is the most important.

Humans however are not creatures of logic, they are creatures of emotion. They generally care less about what is happening and care far more about what is happening to who.

As such, they usually care more about the first four points because they all directly involve characters (the who) rather than events (the what).

The most interesting plot in the world is not going to elicit a response from someone if they have zero interest in who the plot is affecting.

Like I said before, I have heard of and know of more stories that are successful because of and saved by it's character elements than by the quality of the plot alone.

I have heard folk say "Yeah the plot is pretty bad but man is the cast/protagonist/antagonist/fights great!".

I have never heard anyone say "Yeah, all the characters are bad but the plot is totally worth it!".

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Mommy Fubuki!
โ€Ž
Like many people said, usually I would go with the plot but I think the cast is the most important element to the story. If the plot is interesting but the characters are weak executed or underdeveloped then I don't think I would start that series, if the plot is meh and original but the cast are well-written and engaging then I can at least tolerate and see what's gonna happen next.

I picked protagonist over antagonist because the protagonist drives the story better for the viewers to see. Antagonists are just there to opposed the protagonist's ways of moving the plot forward. Hence the "heroes always wins against villains" trope.

Fights are the least important element of a story. An example would be Dr. Stone, engaging characters and mysterious plot and no major fights.

A power level system that makes sense and stays consistent throughout the entire series. Take Avatar for example, if you only look at Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2, the information you're given is that Zhao is a trash firebender, Zuko is a trash firebender who is training and constantly getting stronger, Aang is a top tier airbending master but holds back because he's very passive and gentle spirited, Iroh and Ozai are the strongest benders in the series, Katara is by far the biggest prodigy in the entire series and is a waterbending master and Azula is a firebending master but on a much lower level than Iroh/Ozai.

All this info is from season 1/first ep of season 2 and remains consistent throughout all three seasons. Oda should take notes.

First priority for me is the plot. Zero Requiem by Lelouch, Eren's rumbling declaration, Riou and Jowy depart off to their adventure instead of being kings at their respective countries, Shriek welcoming her death within the embrace of her parents' corpse, those are the result of a character's decision which either affects of the story's progression, or being the culmination of the story progression.

Lelouch's determination is a key part of the advancement of the plot, destroying Damocles and making Lelouch himself into the ultimate devil figure before executing himself. That pay-off and reward, is the very best part of the series. On the other hand, Eren's rumbling declaration is a stellar character moment, but the plot doesn't provide the pay-off for his decision, resulting in a grandly unforgivable sin.

Those are examples, those are why the plot is the most important for me. The lil bit of cheat in the plot being the most important, is that because imo plot encompasses so many other important things like a character's action and decision, and also how the story is presented (storytelling) which emphasizes particular scenes and aspects to express the author's intention.

After plot (storytelling included) is imo, the lore. The lore is the world, the majestic seakings roaming within the depths of the sea, the flying islands which attract Gang Bege, the sky island full of adventure and romance...and also the power structure. The magic and skill trees in Diablo or Baldur's Gate. Nen in HxH. Devil Fruit classification. Appetite and Calorie in Toriko. Its so beautiful and wide.

After that the characters, encompassing both the protagonists and antagonists, their interaction becomes the reason of intimacy and relatability for us to hold them dear. In this category, theres the protagonist and antagonist. Both are part of the characters/cast, but i'm charmed by the concept of protagonist more than the antagonist.

Griffith and Johann Liebert are obviously more mesmerizing than Guts and Tenma, since their characterizations are deeper than the MCs, but thats exactly what gives the feeling of the MCs being eclipsed in his story. If only Guts and Tenma are conceptualized more deeply than the final villains, those two mangas will become tens of times better imo. Examples of works with great MC:

- Again, Lelouch from Code Geass. Just look at how satisfying the story can be if the MC is the most complex char of all. Its so orgasmic.

- And also Musashi from Vagabond. His inner struggle, his developments, his epiphanies, his analysis, his resolutions, are all so so palpable and we cant help but full of feels watching his journey.

---

While a crap protagonist will make the story flop into a crap as well. Like Aaron Yogurt's final decision which contradict his rumbling lol. Such is the power of protagonists, they can carry the story into being unforgettably good or bad.

---

Fight gets the last place for me lol.

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
Character Growth

I believe that any journey you take and finish unchanged was a wasted journey.

Character Growth often equates to good plot because good plot is needed for a good character growth. Likewise the characters itself and their relationships benefit from CG

D

Dragomir

Character Growth

I believe that any journey you take and finish unchanged was a wasted journey.

Character Growth often equates to good plot because good plot is needed for a good character growth. Likewise the characters itself and their relationships benefit from CG
How do you feel about stories like JoJo where nearly all the characters are static?

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
How do you feel about stories like JoJo where nearly all the characters are static?
Depends which JoJo you mean

Most JoJo's evolve in their own way same as Vilains, i mean Kira was concerned for the safety of his wife wheres before he would shrug it off.

Some characters are set in stone but they only appear for like a small arc and thats it

Peroroncino

๐Ÿ…ท๐Ÿ…ฐ๐Ÿ…ป๐Ÿ…ฐ ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ฐ๐Ÿ…ณ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ณ
โ€Ž
Depends.
It's usually plot but for a series like kengan for example it is fights since the plot is about a tournament

D

Dragomir

Depends which JoJo you mean

Most JoJo's evolve in their own way same as Vilains, i mean Kira was concerned for the safety of his wife wheres before he would shrug it off.

Some characters are set in stone but they only appear for like a small arc and thats it
I'm referring to basically the entire cast. Only a few characters actually develop. The rest stay the same. Especially the protagonists.

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
I'm referring to basically the entire cast. Only a few characters actually develop. The rest stay the same. Especially the protagonists.
Do they tho?

Jonathan was a push over only to evolve into a gallant knight
Joseph started as immature brat to develop into a proud warrior while still retaining his tricks
Jotaro started as cold and lone wolf only to develop bond for his comrades and people around him
Josuke well idk
Giorno evolved from an innocent kid to a ruthless gangster that wanted to take down the boss and end drug trade
Jolyne same as josuke, long time since i read part 6
Johnny i won't spoil

D

Dragomir

Do they tho?

Jonathan was a push over only to evolve into a gallant knight
Joseph started as immature brat to develop into a proud warrior while still retaining his tricks
Jotaro started as cold and lone wolf only to develop bond for his comrades and people around him
Josuke well idk
Giorno evolved from an innocent kid to a ruthless gangster that wanted to take down the boss and end drug trade
Jolyne same as josuke, long time since i read part 6
Johnny i won't spoil
Jonathan is the only one here that's really valid since we do see him grow to become his gentleman because of his father but the others, there's no growth displayed. Joseph never stopped being immature. Jotaro gets friends, yeah, but that isn't really character development. Him being a lone wolf was only due to his stand cause he thought it was a danger and that logic got immediately snapped away in episode 1 when Joseph and Avdol showed up. And you don't see that bond displayed much of anywhere throughout the adventure until the very end with that picture. Giorno "innocent kid" was his backstory. That's not character development that we actually see in the show. There's no change between the beginning of part 5 to the end of part 5 for Giorno.

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
Joseph never stopped being immature.
Thats the point tho. Joseph always had that trickster nature but after Whamy and Caesar we see the development of this proud warrior that still retains his original strengths.

Jotaro gets friends, yeah, but that isn't really character development. Him being a lone wolf was only due to his stand cause he thought it was a danger and that logic got immediately snapped away in episode 1 when Joseph and Avdol showed up.
Jotaro was opening up more and more as the story continues. With Jolyne we see his ultimate moment of development but i wont dwell deep into that

Giorno "innocent kid" was his backstory. That's not character development that we actually see in the show. There's no change between the beginning of part 5 to the end of part 5 for Giorno.
Giorno does grow. Mainly in terms of resolve.

Even Vilains in JoJo grow. Dio, Kira and so on

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
โ€Ž
At least respecting the rules of your own universe is already good start, imo.

If you, as an author, don't care about how the elements of your world work, why should I, as a reader?

a shitty plot can always be salvaged by a great cast, but not the other way around
Post automatically merged:

First priority for me is the plot. Zero Requiem by Lelouch, Eren's rumbling declaration, Riou and Jowy depart off to their adventure instead of being kings at their respective countries, Shriek welcoming her death within the embrace of her parents' corpse, those are the result of a character's decision which either affects of the story's progression, or being the culmination of the story progression.

Lelouch's determination is a key part of the advancement of the plot, destroying Damocles and making Lelouch himself into the ultimate devil figure before executing himself. That pay-off and reward, is the very best part of the series. On the other hand, Eren's rumbling declaration is a stellar character moment, but the plot doesn't provide the pay-off for his decision, resulting in a grandly unforgivable sin.

Those are examples, those are why the plot is the most important for me. The lil bit of cheat in the plot being the most important, is that because imo plot encompasses so many other important things like a character's action and decision, and also how the story is presented (storytelling) which emphasizes particular scenes and aspects to express the author's intention.

After plot (storytelling included) is imo, the lore. The lore is the world, the majestic seakings roaming within the depths of the sea, the flying islands which attract Gang Bege, the sky island full of adventure and romance...and also the power structure. The magic and skill trees in Diablo or Baldur's Gate. Nen in HxH. Devil Fruit classification. Appetite and Calorie in Toriko. Its so beautiful and wide.

After that the characters, encompassing both the protagonists and antagonists, their interaction becomes the reason of intimacy and relatability for us to hold them dear. In this category, theres the protagonist and antagonist. Both are part of the characters/cast, but i'm charmed by the concept of protagonist more than the antagonist.

Griffith and Johann Liebert are obviously more mesmerizing than Guts and Tenma, since their characterizations are deeper than the MCs, but thats exactly what gives the feeling of the MCs being eclipsed in his story. If only Guts and Tenma are conceptualized more deeply than the final villains, those two mangas will become tens of times better imo. Examples of works with great MC:

- Again, Lelouch from Code Geass. Just look at how satisfying the story can be if the MC is the most complex char of all. Its so orgasmic.

- And also Musashi from Vagabond. His inner struggle, his developments, his epiphanies, his analysis, his resolutions, are all so so palpable and we cant help but full of feels watching his journey.

---

While a crap protagonist will make the story flop into a crap as well. Like Aaron Yogurt's final decision which contradict his rumbling lol. Such is the power of protagonists, they can carry the story into being unforgettably good or bad.

---

Fight gets the last place for me lol.
and this is why for me cast is no1 but ending is no2.
a god tier ending can save and immortalized a series despite having a slow middle.
zero requiem is still incredible