Questions & Mysteries What to you is the most important element of a successful story?

What's the most important one to you?

• Total voters
D

Dragomir

When it comes to a story, the general elements that make up the core of it are the protagonist, main antagonist, cast(rest of the characters who aren't the protag or antag), plot, and fights. How would you rank these in terms of importance in building a successful story, which is the most important to you, and why? Feel free to provide an anime or manga which exemplifies your chosen element.

For me, I would go in this order: the protagonist > plot > cast > main antagonist > fights. The protagonist is for me is the most important largely because they're the character we're going to see the most. If your protagonist is average to bad, then you will have to overcompensate in the other areas to make up for that lacking protagonist. However, if your protagonist is good or great, then it can cover up some of the flaws or weaknesses in the other areas that may be present. If I had to choose one of these elements to be the best part of my story and everything else is average, it would be the protagonist because they can carry your story longer than the other elements can.

An example of an anime that made me feel that way about the importance of the protagonist is Code Geass. Lelouch, the main character, is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. He is the driving force of my enjoyment of Code Geass. I personally thought the main antagonist–Charles–was boring and underwhelming. The rest of the cast was alright, had a few bright spots here and there, but nothing special. And the fights were decent but again, nothing special. The plot was very good, but the catch is, imo, Lelouch IS the plot. Normally, in a lot of pieces of fiction, the plot drives itself and the main character and everyone else reacts accordingly. But with CG, Lelouch was the one driving the plot. The entire story happens because of him. Any action he took would make a big and lasting impact. I personally loved CG, in most part because of Lelouch. CG to me is as good as it is because of how great of a protagonist Lelouch is.

What is element is most important for you? Feel free to come up with your own list too. For example, if you want to world-building as a core element, that's perfectly fine.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
For me, plot > cast > main antagonist > protagonist > fights…a story has to be well-written above all else, and a balanced roster of characters helps it get there quicker than a lot of other things. Beyond that, I think a compelling antagonist always draws me in more than a typical protagonist, and honestly, fights are only intriguing in manga, that loses a lot of the effect when it’s just a description in any other type of writing.

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝕾𝖕𝖆𝖜𝖓
When it comes to a story, the general elements that make up the core of it are the protagonist, main antagonist, cast(rest of the characters who aren't the protag or antag), plot, and fights. How would you rank these in terms of importance in building a successful story, which is the most important to you, and why? Feel free to provide an anime or manga which exemplifies your chosen element.

For me, I would go in this order: the protagonist > plot > cast > main antagonist > fights. The protagonist is for me is the most important largely because they're the character we're going to see the most. If your protagonist is average to bad, then you will have to overcompensate in the other areas to make up for that lacking protagonist. However, if your protagonist is good or great, then it can cover up some of the flaws or weaknesses in the other areas that may be present. If I had to choose one of these elements to be the best part of my story and everything else is average, it would be the protagonist because they can carry your story longer than the other elements can.

An example of an anime that made me feel that way about the importance of the protagonist is Code Geass. Lelouch, the main character, is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. He is the driving force of my enjoyment of Code Geass. I personally thought the main antagonist–Charles–was boring and underwhelming. The rest of the cast was alright, had a few bright spots here and there, but nothing special. And the fights were decent but again, nothing special. The plot was very good, but the catch is, imo, Lelouch IS the plot. Normally, in a lot of pieces of fiction, the plot drives itself and the main character and everyone else reacts accordingly. But with CG, Lelouch was the one driving the plot. The entire story happens because of him. Any action he took would make a big and lasting impact. I personally loved CG, in most part because of Lelouch. CG to me is as good as it is because of how great of a protagonist Lelouch is.

What is element is most important for you? Feel free to come up with your own list too. For example, if you want to world-building as a core element, that's perfectly fine.

At first I was going to say that the rest of the cast is usually my favorite, but then I remembered how much I like manga mcs like Thorfinn, Guts and Musashi who have amazing and well done interactions with the rest of the world around them and the supporting cast.

I haven't seen Code Geass, but I agree. Good main antagonists aren't really necessary the same way a good protagonist is though, villains can afford to be static and undeveloped characters. but most of my favorite manga characters are villains lol (Johan, Askeladd, Griffith, Riboku, Ryofui, Doffy, Cao Cao etc).

Rej

Year of the black beard!
There is no reason to rank this.

I am flexible and there are many different stories and styles of writing.
Be it a character driven story, a plot driven story or just a narrator driven story.
I like em all and for me it depends on setting and ambitions. Is there a good premise that promises a possibly good payoff?
Characters, fights and whatever are also important, but it doesnt have to be the priority. A story that shifts these elements around and ends up being flexible with alot of tensions and pay offs is the best for me.

Jiihad

RIP Toriyama
It’s definitely cast, they are tha ones we have to “see” for tha story(regardless of how long it is) duration. Having piss poor characters can drag an arc or series of events unnecessarily; see tontattas in Dressrosa…..also look at One Piece. It’s a plot driven story and while it’s great. You see tha issues having a plot driven story can create. Characters sometimes don’t grow/evolve, said characters aren’t dynamic so authors have to shoehorn or contradict their own previously established borders in a story to fit around their characters

Basically, a good cast of characters can carry a story while conversely a plot driven story. Tha plot can’t move without tha characters and tha characters have to bring tha plot to life

Plot and narrative. Even if its just one character...if story narration is good with a decent plot..its usually a good memory for me. Even if plot ends up to be pretty lame having good narration usually makes up for it.

Cast~Plot>Antagonist >Protagonist>Fights

I think for a good story writing there's need to be perfect balance of everything. But foremost what i care about are characters. Plot pull you towards a story but it's a cast that get you hooked into it. I believe if an author can make the characters come out alive they can pull semi decent plot into an amazing read.

Ravages of Time is good example, there's no clear Protagonist or Antagonist in that story and i absolutely love it. Plot is yes damn good but foremost the Cast is amazing there.​

Cast >>>>>>>>> Plot always because there is no story with a perfect plot with no flaws and more often than not cast saves it.

Steins Gate incredible show with its plot but without the cast surrounding it and lets say some mediocre characters it wouldn't hit this well.
I love Steins Gate so fucking much I just wanted to say that

But yeah I think cast > plot > the rest are equal for me

Rhea

Cattitude
1. Plot
The plot is the actual story. A plot should have a very clear imo at the beginning with all the necessary descriptions and suspense, and always think that if the reader can make sense of the action and follow along from start to finish.

2. Characters
The characters are the individuals that the story is about, and imo the good story with a good plot will create a good characters as well. So, that is why I put it after The Plot.

3. Setting and Resolutions
Then create some setting of each plot or characters would be the last, as well with the resolutions to the problem is the way the plot or specific characters is resolved.

Why is the protagonist last for you?
honestly it depends a lot on the series and how much time is given to other characters
if not a lot is given to it then the cast matters a lot less and the the protagonist could make or break that series
from what I have seen tho, typically there are a few other characters aside from the protagonist that feature prominently that could make a story much more enjoyable regardless of how good or bad the protagonist is