Questions & Mysteries Where are the captains' crews?

Most of you probably didn't notice or care, but I've often wondered where the Drake, Hawkins and Apoo crews are and what they are doing. The last time we saw the On Air Pirates was when Apoo was making his way to Onigashima, but we didn't see a single member of these three crews in just one panel during the entire battle. I'm a bit surprised about that, as even the Fire Tank Pirates have two members (Vito & Gotti) that stand out from the unnamed uniform-looking members. In the archipelago, I had the impression that the Fire Tank Pirates were less relevant than most of the other Supernova crews. Since the Zou Arc, as with the Heart and Kid Pirates, I have expected one to three members of each crew who stand out in particular.

The members of the three crews I mentioned have a very thematic look. The Hawkins Pirates are reminiscent of witchers, voodoo priests and shamans, the Drake Pirates are reminiscent of former French guards and the On Air Pirates are largely similar in style to Apoo. Faust, a cat mink from the Hawkins Pirates, was actually the first mink we saw. In a SBS, Oda humorously implied that Faust uses "meowgic". So he can use magic and Electro. It would be interesting to see how he fights other minks. Bepo would be a good opponent. But we haven't seen him since the timeskip, in fact we haven't seen anyone from Hawkins' crew again. Even a mouse named Chuji has more relevance in this battle. Where are they? What do Apoo's people do? Why does he have more interactions with the Numbers than with his crew members who have been with him for years. The only explanation I have is that Oda is keeping these characters out so the arc doesn't get any longer than it already is. In other places, however, I have the impression that he is doing everything to artificially elongate this arc. I think this is a missed chance to show that the Worst Generation crews also have unique characters that make these pirate crews so special.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
It appears Drake probably got no crew and he works on his own. About Apoo I would really be curious to acknowledge however. At least if he had one in the past.

G

Gorosei Informer

Oda doesn't care about their crews but gives us an army of shitty, deplorable, repulsive, insulting etc gifters that aren't even as good in function/ability as the ones who appeared in Zou too. Also they were forgotten by Oda along with Gin Rummy and whoever else.

I've been bringing up the lack of Faust a few times for a while now, it's extremely frustrating. Capone's crew were pointless at WCI, Vito got a bit of pointless hype, Faust is probably killed offscreen somehow, most likely due to Kaido or Orochi but maybe I can giga cope and go with my headcanon that he ironically betrayed Hawkins and escaped/ran and also may be a Blackbeard spy or something and thus is still out there somehow lmao.

The guy with the ponytail/braided hair from Hawkins' crew, also got a random filler scene in the anime, of him falling down a chasm randomly created, when Hawkins and his "motley crew" were fighting Luffy and Zoro.

Where is Urouge too? What the hell is he doing?! Did he join Blackbeard like he was thinking of doing whilst watching the war of Marineford?

Unfortunately, Oda really dropped the ball on Kaido's crew, even Jack a freaking Calamity/Yonko Commander is being WASTED! As if what happened to Smoothie and especially Snack wasn't bad enough!

I had so much hype for the Supernovas and their crews but Oda is really wasting them. But you know what "we need more of"? The gifters, who are absolutely the worst character designs I've ever seen! Some exceptions ofc but most of them are awful and the reveal fo Killer's "awakened Smile" in the SBS or whatever was AWFUL too!

Sorry, but just had to rant there. I'm so fucking sick of Oda's shit with this.

:kriwhat::seriously::mihugh::whitepress::lusalty::lawsigh:kingufy:sanjimeh:

Post automatically merged:

It appears Drake probably got no crew and he works on his own. About Apoo I would really be curious to acknowledge however. At least if he had one in the past.
We saw his crew over the timeskip at least (not sure about if they were at Sabaody or not) and they are called the "On-Air Pirates" too.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/On_Air_Pirates

Oda could have really played on "pirate radio" and the history and importance of that IRL and gone full big brain word play, references, inspiration and such! But alas, it was not mean to be!

http://thescuttlefish.com/2015/03/pirate-radio-a-visual-history/

Last edited by a moderator:
We have seen some guys of Hawkins and Apoo crew in Wano i think, so they have become just some more randoms of Kaido army. Pehaps if one of those Supernovas get out of Wano after the Arc we will see them.

I can imagine a cover story of Apoo after Wano.

Drake crew could all be dead, what i Wonder is If they are also marines, what i think they shoudnt be.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Oda doesn't care about their crews but gives us an army of shitty, deplorable, repulsive, insulting etc gifters that aren't even as good in function/ability as the ones who appeared in Zou too. Also they were forgotten by Oda along with Gin Rummy and whoever else.

I've been bringing up the lack of Faust a few times for a while now, it's extremely frustrating. Capone's crew were pointless at WCI, Vito got a bit of pointless hype, Faust is probably killed offscreen somehow, most likely due to Kaido or Orochi but maybe I can giga cope and go with my headcanon that he ironically betrayed Hawkins and escaped/ran and also may be a Blackbeard spy or something and thus is still out there somehow lmao.

The guy with the ponytail/braided hair from Hawkins' crew, also got a random filler scene in the anime, of him falling down a chasm randomly created, when Hawkins and his "motley crew" were fighting Luffy and Zoro.

Where is Urouge too? What the hell is he doing?! Did he join Blackbeard like he was thinking of doing whilst watching the war of Marineford?

Unfortunately, Oda really dropped the ball on Kaido's crew, even Jack a freaking Calamity/Yonko Commander is being WASTED! As if what happened to Smoothie and especially Snack wasn't bad enough!

I had so much hype for the Supernovas and their crews but Oda is really wasting them. But you know what "we need more of"? The gifters, who are absolutely the worst character designs I've ever seen! Some exceptions ofc but most of them are awful and the reveal fo Killer's "awakened Smile" in the SBS or whatever was AWFUL too!

Sorry, but just had to rant there. I'm so fucking sick of Oda's shit with this.

:kriwhat::seriously::mihugh::whitepress::lusalty::lawsigh:kingufy:sanjimeh:

Post automatically merged:

We saw his crew over the timeskip at least (not sure about if they were at Sabaody or not) and they are called the "On-Air Pirates" too.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/On_Air_Pirates

Oda could have really played on "pirate radio" and the history and importance of that IRL and gone full big brain word play, references, inspiration and such! But alas, it was not mean to be!

http://thescuttlefish.com/2015/03/pirate-radio-a-visual-history/
Interesting, is there any news about the On-Air Pirates that we got during Post TS?

G

Gorosei Informer

Interesting, is there any news about the On-Air Pirates that we got during Post TS?
:luuh::saden:

The last we saw of them was the timeskip. I'm certain we haven't seen them again since then?

Oda doesn't care about them, just like the rest of the Supernova crews. They were almost all nameless fodder for all the SN's when they appeared at Sabaody too.

But you know, let's add an army of what was it... 500 gifters?!

Big Mom could have a crew of amazing DF users but Kaido had to rely on a crew of artificial Wish.com/Made in China failed Zoan imitations to make his Zoan army, some Yonko he is!

:laughmoji::nicagesmile::lawsigh::mihugh::cantseeme:

"The Beasts Pirates currently have the highest number of known Devil Fruit users of any pirate crew currently due to many of their members having eaten SMILEs.
  • They have the largest number of Zoan fruit users in a single organization, with 9 natural Devil Fruit users (11 if the traitorous X Drake and rebellious Yamato are included), plus over 500 Gifters.
  • They have all the Zoan sub-classes (Ancient, Mythical, and Artificial) in their organization, but appear to lack the standard Zoan type."

There was that fantastically dark, tragic, haunting storyline of Killer and the "forced Smile" but now Oda fucking ruined it with that stupid elephant gag he drew. "Anything for a laugh Oda" strikes again!

kingufy:lawsigh::seriously::kriwhat:

As Desert Waifu mentioned in their original post, the Supernovas had such thematic designs that were very interesting and intriguing imo. The points they made as you can see below are pretty true and great, which makes Oda dropping the proverbial ball so hard all the more frustrating.

Most of you probably didn't notice or care, but I've often wondered where the Drake, Hawkins and Apoo crews are and what they are doing. The last time we saw the On Air Pirates was when Apoo was making his way to Onigashima, but we didn't see a single member of these three crews in just one panel during the entire battle. I'm a bit surprised about that, as even the Fire Tank Pirates have two members (Vito & Gotti) that stand out from the unnamed uniform-looking members. In the archipelago, I had the impression that the Fire Tank Pirates were less relevant than most of the other Supernova crews. Since the Zou Arc, as with the Heart and Kid Pirates, I have expected one to three members of each crew who stand out in particular.

The members of the three crews I mentioned have a very thematic look. The Hawkins Pirates are reminiscent of witchers, voodoo priests and shamans, the Drake Pirates are reminiscent of former French guards and the On Air Pirates are largely similar in style to Apoo. Faust, a cat mink from the Hawkins Pirates, was actually the first mink we saw. In a SBS, Oda humorously implied that Faust uses "meowgic". So he can use magic and Electro. It would be interesting to see how he fights other minks. Bepo would be a good opponent. But we haven't seen him since the timeskip, in fact we haven't seen anyone from Hawkins' crew again. Even a mouse named Chuji has more relevance in this battle. Where are they? What do Apoo's people do? Why does he have more interactions with the Numbers than with his crew members who have been with him for years. The only explanation I have is that Oda is keeping these characters out so the arc doesn't get any longer than it already is. In other places, however, I have the impression that he is doing everything to artificially elongate this arc. I think this is a missed chance to show that the Worst Generation crews also have unique characters that make these pirate crews so special.
Oda placed such importance on Faust and he is literally non-existent post TS! Unless it's deliberate for some particular surprise later which I sadly doubt, it's more like Oda has written him out purposely or has forgotten him somehow. I mean he is named FAUST for crying out loud! Sigh...

"The erudite Faust is highly successful yet dissatisfied with his life, which leads him to make a pact with the Devil at a crossroads, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures."

I mean this^^^ might allude to the possibility of my headcanon of Faust previously betraying Hawkins ironically and possibly being saved for a minor future plot point but it's such a vain, narrow hope at this point especially.

Faust seems to be a Mink ofc, but he could have been the intended Black Cat Zoan for Marguerite previously and thus potentially a similar case to Dalmatian and Big News Morgans, who are always in Hybrid form seemingly. He could even possibly had a Mythical type effect of having 9 lives as cats are said to have and even Witch type magic/spells, a Mythical Zoan somehow?

The Supernovas featured heavily in Stampede and we saw their ships too in a race at the beginning, I've not seen most of the film as I absolutely hated Bullet who just seems a far inferior version of Broly, like the same sort of intentions as Broly's role in Dragon Ball but for One Piece and thus I ended up not watching the film as soon as he got involved. But that's a whole other topic.

Sorry for all the ranting anyway, but the whole BS with the Gifters, Killer's awakened Smile form reveal and Kaido's crew in general is a very personal and thus aggravating topic for me as you can see lol. I thought Big Mom's crew was gonna look the worst out of the Yonkos but hers is unironically FAR superior to Kaido's so far!
I would say Kaido has the edge with the commanders though, despite having one less than she does.

:neesama::goatasure:

-edit- I just realised I repeated some of the points from my last post, whoops!

:sanmoji::sighting:

G

Gorosei Informer

We can see a few of them here too:

However, they are practically nonexistent during the battle of Onigashima. Appo can only be seen with the Numbers. His crew no longer seem important to him. Basically, they're not even Fodder.
Yeah, I forgot about that scene but it's filler unfortunately. I only remember Apoo being shown with the Numbers in the manga? Defintiely more scenes and such added there like the children too?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apoo saw his crew as stepping stones, necessary sacrifices and just pointless/fodder now, he really seems to be a completely self serving, heartless character. He's always had that slimy snake factor to him. Hawkins was like that ofc so I guess it's ironically fitting they've both ended up working for Kaido and thus Orochi too? Very apt indeed?

Hawkins' crew is probably somewhere in Wano, doesn't matter too much.

Apoo's should by all means be in Onigashima with him lol

Drake's crew are probably all marines he left behind when taking on the mission of infiltrating Kaido's crew.

Caribou will defeat Page One

G

Gorosei Informer

One of Apoo's crewmates, the chubby one with his same ponytail, was indeed coming with him and the Numbers in the manga. The children were there too.
Well that goes to show how little I remember then lol. I could only remember Apoo with the Numbers, that's all. Weird.

G

Gorosei Informer

Ah that helps, thank you lol. It's really weird that I can't remember this. I must have skimmed over it or something somehow? I remember the silhouette of Apoo and the Numbers at some point, which is what I was thinking of? That's all I could remember of Apoo and the Numbers.

:cheers::nicagesmile:

That line about the Golden Kagura is very interesting too, that must be a Chekov's Gun of sorts, to be important later? At least Oda remembered one of Apoo's crew here anyway!

:zorothink::sanmoji::milaugh: