General & Others Which Form has the Worst Writing?

Thoughts?

• Total voters
G5 of course. Convenient power up that came at the right moment. Especially when it was only mentioned or talked about a few chapters before.

Super Saiyan was a prophecy.

We knew Sage Mode existed for a few hundred pages. We knew the Six paths existed. It wasn't that surprising that a superior version to both existed with the sage. Plus meeting the sage in a near death stage ain't no "asspull". That's how he met his dad & mom.

Still wondering how we went from Luffy being iconic rubberman wit a mid fruit to having a mythical most aspull df ih history lol

:seriously:Oda could have just said it is a special parameciaand it awakening makes him be logia-like

Instead of him being mythical zoan with paramecia awakening , can do anything.

I don't know if people have read naruto or not or have just forgotten, but from the comments there seems to be a misunderstanding since the OP didn't clarify.

That is Naruto in SIX PATHS MODE, NOT SAGE MODE. Naruto first learned Sage Mode from a toad after Jariya's death. The image shown is after he and Sasuke get Six Path Powers from the original Six Paths Sage after they (almost?) die mid battle in the final war. And that to me is clearly FAR worse than Luffy's Gear 5.

The main issue with Luffy's Gear 5 was that there wasn't clear foreshadowing or setup of it happening. But i do think that the awakening itself fits Luffy quite well, with the themes and his character.

I'm more surprised by the fact that people here aren't also rapping Kidd and Law for awakening around the same time as Luffy offscreen when Luffy is clearly the more versatile user of his fruit. Kidd in particular i couldn't understand as all he did pre-awakening was throw metal around and magnetize things. Granted, Oda hasn't clarified exactly how devil fruit awakening works - but from the uses of Doffy and Katakuri i was under the assumption that awakening had either to do with the user being creative with the fruit, OR being in sync and their personality matching more with their fruit for awakening. I'e like Luffy, Katakuri and Doffy are all super creative with their fruits despite their simple base abilities - doffy can stitch his organs and control people, Kata can mimic Luffy's moves and Luffy has his gears. OR the second reason was that one had to be in sync with their fruits for it to awaken - AKA their personalities match. Doffy is manipulative and Kata is forced to mold himself to be the perfect person for his family.

For Kidd and Law it was never shown why they awakened their fruits and how it happened, it just happened offscreen. They were neither on the verge of death like Luffy, nor were they as creative as Luffy was in using their fruits pre-awakening.

You could argue that there could be a case to be made that Luffy awakened his devil fruit because he always bounces backs and always fights for freedom. This mattered more in Wano as Kaido was actually enslaving the citizens and Luffy always bounced back from defeats from Kaido and never gave up. Add on top of how versatile Luffy is with the gears. It only makes sense that the awakening is equally creative than his gears and not less, and that the Nika Fruit awakened when Luffy was on the verge of death. The Sun God Nika in particular did have hints since Skypiea, there is also the ship the Thousand Sunny, although i agree Oda could have done more in the build up. Regardless of how bad the awakening was revealed and designed, i think we can at least agree that Luffy has more than deserved the power up. People may not like the new fighting style, but it was Oda's way of trying to revert Luffy back to his whacky fighting style from East Blue, before Enies Lobby when Oda introduced the whole Gears thing.

Now compare Naruto on the other hand where the whole thing is complete bullshit, because up until Naruto's death in the final war when Kurama was extracted from his body - nobody knew that Kishimoto was gonna link Naruto and Sasuke with the Sage of Six Paths and have them as reincarnations of Ashura and Indra. After the powerup, it automatically made Naruto and Sasuke the strongest in the verse in Naruto Part 2 (not counting Boruto). Before the Final War, for Sasuke it was all about the Uchiha and the Mangekyo Sharigan, Kishimoto didn't say anything about also being able to transform into the Rinnegan and was connected to the Sage of Six Paths until the Final War - before this people still thought it was a separate Kekkei Genkkai like the Byakugan. And for Naruto, it completely flipped the script that he was a ninja who got to where he was because he worked hard - but because he was blessed by shinobi god and got alien powers - as if him being related to the Fourth Hokage and the reveal of how powerful the Uzumaki Clan's recuperation abilities were wasn't already enough of an asspull.

Luffy meanwhile even with awakening is still nowhere near top 1 and the Gear 5 honestly isn't even that big of a boost imo - the drawbacks are still there, and he turns into a old man after using it. its the same as it was when Luffy first used gear 3, so at least Oda is consistent in that regard.

With Naruto's six paths mode, it gave Naruto the Truth-Seeking Balls which was OP as fuck, allowed him to fly and sense invisible sahdows, completely adding a new skillset of abilities to Naruto's arsenal that was different and unrelated to his last. People also forget that Six Sage Mode also gave Naruto the access of the powers of ALL the nine tailed beasts. That was how Naruto automatically got Lava and Metal release from Four Tails Son Goku, when before Naruto's only natural chakra release was Wind, but after getting Sage Mode he also automatically got the nature release of all 5 primary ELEMENTS of Fire/Water/Wind/Earth/Lightning- dude became even more OP than the Avatar!

So how exactly does that make Luffy's Gear 5 an even bigger asspull that Naruto's??? I understand Gear 5 has it's issues but let's be real here.

:lawsigh:

I won't comment on DBZ as i never caught up till when Goku unlocks Super Saiyan 3.

Last edited:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Super Saiyan 3 didn’t have much hints or build up before it happened—probably because Toriyama was prone to writing on the fly—but the introduction of super Saiyan 2 and how common super Saiyan became makes it a natural evolution.

Sage Chakra Naruto got decent build up post-stab and there were a few allusions to Naruto=Sage of Six Paths throughout the Juubi arc. Befriending all the Bijuu and doing the fist pump way back in the war arc is also good ground work for this.

Nika is mentioned in what, chapter 1018 for the first time? We have a few loose statements like from Doffy flabbergasted at Luffy’s fruit properties but besides this, Nika was foreshadowed and appeared within 30 chapters. Easily the worst of the three.