General & Others Why can't Oda & other shonen mangaka write a great main cast ?

Oda has chosen random, repetitive arc side characters over his main cast. Im assuming he believes the SHs have had their run and he wants to develop his world even more. Not knowing the dynamic of the SHs is what hooked readers in.

He wrote a great main cast up until I’d say Zou, other will just say pre-skip and has struggled with pushing the plot on to finish the series, dropping to easily to tired caricatures of the SHs and the sheer weight of characters he’s introduced ever since.

This is Oda’s fault, don’t get me wrong, but we can’t forget that he did write a great main cast for longer than all other series I’ve seen mentioned here have even been running.

People saying Oda prioritizes plot over characters, is that why we don't know what the one piece is, what the will of D is, and why one piece is 1000 plus chapters and many mysteries are still unanswered?

People saying Oda prioritizes plot over characters, is that why we don't know what the one piece is, what the will of D is, and why one piece is 1000 plus chapters and many mysteries are still unanswered?
Yes, because if it was only about characters it wouls have finished 70 volumes ago like most character driven shonen.
People are still here for agendas or for plot.

I tell you why. Because people buy, consumes, spend their money on the likes of Naruto and Sasuke duo, Goku and Vegeta duo and many others like that.

That's why.

Consumers dictates what manga trend will be never artists.

Oda has been struck by money fever.
Why do people just can't be critical of the work? For some reason people need to add fan theorys that attack oda as a person that has no proof behind it, oda is overwhelmed by how much stuff he wants to put in one piece that takes away panel time for character moments for the strawhats it's a problem but it feels petty for attacking as a person with no proof.

All well and good, but using Leorio as an example of a developed character is hilarious. The guy was written out of 90% of the manga
As much as I love Leorio (one of my favorite characters in fiction) and HxH this is sadly true

He's relevant in the Hunter Exam and the Zoldyck Mansion arc -> isn't in Heavens Arena -> barely does anything in Yorknew compared to the other 3 -> isn't in Greed Island or Chimera Ant at all -> gets a decent bit in the Election Arc -> basically nonexistent in the latest arc

The idea that HxH evenly splits screentime between it's diverse cast of characters is a myth

Gon and Killua are the only characters that get consistent screentime

Kurapika isn't in half the arcs

Leorio... we didn't even get to see him learn Nen or develop his Hatsu onscreen

:catcry:

The formula for one piece right now(and for a long time) is not characters. Oda knows his limits I would say. He can't handle character and its a long running shounen. He doesn't want to take risk of potential plot holes and inconsistency(there already are though) if he tries to do something because these things most probably oda has not planned at all.
From what I see, his formula is create hype and show case....basically have 10 mid setup chapters at best then show one panel of new info which makes readers hooked and the repeat the process. Anime does have to deal with that shit too so they try to add some depth but we feel its dragging a lot(yeah its dragging too but I don't think they have much choice, the original content is not good enough tbh now compared to early days), like you can see how well Anime did with the Hype moments with Introducing Imu much better than oda did in manga.
And I won't blame him on that too. As I think right now his main objective is to finish the series while printing money. If one piece was not selling well...we probably would see more effort put in the series by oda and editors too.
For that right now he is mainly concentraing on Luffy the MC to have more screentime(though people are not liking it for obvious reasons) and the only focus.
Other than that he tries to write story around side characters to try to keep the story telling going on and interesting which is again just a hit and miss.
Unlike initial days where its easy to manage plot, story and characters. He can't do it now or wont prioritize it. Plot will proceed, story may not be present and he has to sell Luffy as the MC as end is near.

Look at Leorio, Gon, Killua and Kurapika
They all have the depth of a fishbowl.
I like kill
I like money
Father gone
My family is kill
sooooo deeeeeeeeeppppppppp

"a manga is good when the characters (grow)"
Hellsing is good and there is zero growth for Alucard. He went from vastly overpowered and undefeatable to vastly overpowered and undefeatable while keeping the same personality traits from start to finish.
Some manga are story driven, some are character driven, some are a mix. Complaining about this serves no purpose, really.
If its not for you then its not for you and thats fine. Oda will not change.

At least Oda did a good job with Sanji's storyline & depth, more than 99.9% of animanga character.

All aspects of his character are synchronized (e.g. dream-job-abilities-roles), a lot of things got developed (e.g. his lighter gets a blueprint & comic, his bounty have 3 different plotlines), and the persona got developed (e.g. his self-worth, his past, his flaws).
All that just to be ruined by his perma-simp personality.
I would like Sanji if he was a bit more chill

They all have the depth of a fishbowl.
I like kill
I like money
Father gone
My family is kill
sooooo deeeeeeeeeppppppppp

"a manga is good when the characters (grow)"
Hellsing is good and there is zero growth for Alucard. He went from vastly overpowered and undefeatable to vastly overpowered and undefeatable while keeping the same personality traits from start to finish.
Some manga are story driven, some are character driven, some are a mix. Complaining about this serves no purpose, really.
If its not for you then its not for you and thats fine. Oda will not change.
Good thing my Family isn't kill

Because they do not feel any pressure from their reader. Take one piece, no matter what oda wrote , it is always at top 3 in sellling. Why would Oda care about writing then , from his perspective, he is great.

I don't think anything changed from pre TS to post TS about the main cast. The focus on each memebers seems to be the same.
The thing that changed is the overall story, I think Oda retconed his story the moment he had Nika in mind, now every plot revolves around the savior Nika, some god we never heard about before Wano but is suddenly the awaited savior.
Now we have the feeling that Oda is treating the crew and Luffy differently which he isn't, it's the world building that changed.
If anything I think Luffy's treatment is worse post TS than pre TS because of that.

I don't think anything changed from pre TS to post TS about the main cast. The focus on each memebers seems to be the same.
The thing that changed is the overall story, I think Oda retconed his story the moment he had Nika in mind, now every plot revolves around the savior Nika, some god we never heard about before Wano but is suddenly the awaited savior.
Now we have the feeling that Oda is treating the crew and Nika differently which he isn't, it's the world building that changed.
If anything I think Nika's treatment is worse post TS than pre TS because of that.
Nami got sick during the Wapol arc and Luffy and Sanji took her to the witch doctor. During the climb up the mountain, Sanji tells Luffy to NOT fight because that might injure Nami and Luffy agrees. Contrast that with how Luffy refuses to listen to anyone post time skip and there is no sense of comradery. At some point, near TS, Oda decided that he would flanderize every character.

All that just to be ruined by his perma-simp personality.
I would like Sanji if he was a bit more chill
Yeah.
But the sad thing about well-written character is that they must have a weakness or a minus.
In this case, Oda had to emphasize on Sanji's minus, such as incapable of hurting women, or a perverted trait.