Questions & Mysteries Why did Oda draw Monet's heart intact?

What makes you think that her heart is intact though? There's just no way the heart is intact, it got stabbed and blood spurted out, its injured internally. Its somewhat intriguing that the weapon isn't lodged in the heart but other than that.
The point is that the shrapnel, which should by all logic be embedded in the heart, is not embedded in the heart. There is a sequence of events there that Oda did not show us for whatever reason.

Furthermore, plenty of characters go through similar if not significantly more grievous injuries only to be fine. Need I remind you that Wapol literally got his head cut off only to have it surgically reattached with tin plates? Or that Dalton was impaled through the chest with three ballistas? Or that both Luffy and Robin were pierced through the chest with Crocodile's hook? Except for Whitebeard's army's worth of damage or Ace's gaping lava wound, just about any wound in One Piece can feasibly be recovered from with minimal treatment if any.

its only extra unecessary details that Oda put there to mess up with your brain
The beauty of One Piece is how strongly detail-oriented Oda is as a writer and artist. While One Piece is extremely fantastical, Oda makes it a point to create a world that still functions on a clear set of rules and logic. To suggest that Oda puts in details carelessly or for the sake of making fools of readers who pay attention is frankly just silly.

Pandaman is a gag that Oda throws in to give the readers something fun to look out for. Hints that dead characters are alive (Sabo's sake cups, Monet's heart, etc.) are details meant to keep the audience engaged with the progression of the story.
Post automatically merged:

I understand how this can be evidence for foreshadowing but it can also be as simple as that just being background that lacks extra detail that would otherwise be present if it was a close up shot of it, there's no blood either despite an open heart being capable of pooling and spurting blood, if it's a hint that Monet is alive it can't really be considered thoughtful writing since the never ending instances when damage and detail vary wildly all over the manga would render such efforts meaningless.
We aren't talking about the blood or the scars. We're talking about the weapon itself.

We aren't talking about the lack of detail, we're talking about a detail that is there that shouldn't be. Logistically, the shrapnel has no reason to be drawn separately from the heart because it violates our understanding of the sequence of events. A lack of detail would be forgetting to draw the shrapnel at all and then adding it back in later.

If the heart had been tipped over with the shrapnel still embedded in it sideways, that would tell a clear story that shows how Caesar's hand moved as he passed out: he was still holding the shrapnel tightly when his hand fell to the ground.

In reality, though, what happened was that he apparently took the shrapnel out and then stabbed the ground. The question is not "why isn't the heart bleeding?" The answer to that is obvious, and you're right: that would be more detail than is necessary to draw at that distance. The question is "why did Caesar take the shrapnel out of the heart and then stab the ground?"

My answer to that question is that he didn't remove it at all, his hand slipped and he only caused slight, perfectly survivable (by One Piece standards) damage to the heart before passing out.

What's yours?

Last edited:
The question is not "why isn't the heart bleeding?" The answer to that is obvious, and you're right: that would be more detail than is necessary to draw at that distance. The question is "why did Caesar take the shrapnel out of the heart and then stab the ground?"

What's yours?
That's easy, Caesar is a doctor and a punctured heart with shrapnel is considerably more survivable than removing the shrapnel and letting it bleed out, this is not only by One Piece standards but actual real life ones too.

That's easy, Caesar is a doctor and a punctured heart with shrapnel is considerably more survivable than removing the shrapnel and letting it bleed out, this is not only by One Piece standards but actual real life ones too.
Now there is an argument!

Caesar, not wanting to impede the blood flow that would kill Smoker, removes the shrapnel and plunges it into the ground in what he thinks is a final show of victory before passing out. It certainly seems like something he would do!

Of course, it doesn't answer the question of why Oda chose to depict it that way, since he would presumably be aware of the implications. Do you have any suggestions for why he might want us to think that Monet is alive?

Now there is an argument!

Caesar, not wanting to impede the blood flow that would kill Smoker, removes the shrapnel and plunges it into the ground in what he thinks is a final show of victory before passing out. It certainly seems like something he would do!

Of course, it doesn't answer the question of why Oda chose to depict it that way, since he would presumably be aware of the implications. Do you have any suggestions for why he might want us to think that Monet is alive?
If the intention is to keep Monet alive then that by itself would be enough reason, just keeping another card open in case there's a need or story line to use it.

This is a perfectly valid stance to take. My theory that Monet is going to be important and join the crew is my interpretation of the subtle background elements that Oda put in her various panels and to justify why it's taken so long for her to return. I have difficulty seeing Monet's return being built up for so long only for her to go back to being a minor character, but because it's Eiichiro Oda, I'm sure he could find a way to make it work.

For the purposes of this thread, though, Monet's relevance after coming back is not in question. The question we want to address right now is how Oda's depiction of Monet's heart can be interpreted in any way other than her survival. Would you happen to have any thoughts on that matter specifically?
Sure, I'm pretty sure by now that if we don't see a character die on panel but just be told or hinted that he/she probably died that character will somewhat survive. It happened with Pell, Pound, mr. 2, it is probably about to happen in Wano. Probable this is true for Vergo too. I do not contest the chance of Monet to be alive by now, it is pretty high (we can even say it is alnost sure knowing Oda). But the problem lies elsewhere: if we will ever see her again and even so what are Oda plans for her.

I just hope that all the people who get so superior when it comes to denying Monet's survival. If monet ever shows up. I hope they are also so superior to acknowledge their mistake.

I understand that we are different and that each one has a candidate. Which is great. But hey, I just tell you that I've been watching One Piece all my life. And the same ode admits that he does not like to kill characters.

Therefore, not only in this forum. If Monet makes it out alive. Which I think is true. Also acknowledge that you were wrong. In the same way if it turns out that I am wrong about Monet's survival. I will say that I was wrong.

But we go. This is one piece. Pound survives a pirate of a yonko crew. Pell to a bomb. Robin is pierced through the chest and Zoro is stabbed and bled to death. And do we see strange about monet? It seems strange to me that instead of giving logical reasons why he could not survive. Just say it's not that she died and nothing else.

Why don't you argue that Oda left a room without gas? Why don't you comment that oda left a heart intact? Why don't you argue why Oda didn't want to show us the past of Monet and Sugar and the rest, yes? Why not argue that monet being a student like nami and robin has more opportunities to fit in?

Why don't you argue that Chopper still not knows why Monet let him go? Why don't you argue that during monet he fits the story of nami and robin more than other candidates? Why don't you comment that episode 698 begins exclusively with the Marines looking for survivors? Why don't you argue that in an analysis vivre card Oda said that Monet's ending is unclear? Why don't you argue the reason why oda didn't want to answer a fan's question about monet in such a suspicious way?

Why don't you argue that Doffy told us that they have a sad past, which turns monet into a nakama like the rest, but Oda still didn't want to explain it? Why don't you explain that Monet is an astrologer and we know from the image of Ohara that they not only studied the foneglyfs but the earth and the moons? Why not argue that in the crow nest in another sbs ode draw an astrological telescope? why don't you argue that oda doesn't kill characters unless you're ace or friend of roger and or in flashbacks? Why don't you argue that robin survived a stabbing that was worse than monet's?

why don't you argue that oda drew monet's attack under the sunny at the end of the arc when he has never done something like that? Why don't you argue that astrology was mega important in the past and is that in one piece eneru it's on a moon? why don't you argue that it is strange that monet has a clearer office than other candidates? why don't you argue that luffy loves snow and ode repeats it to us and monet produces snow? Why don't you argue that she is a villain who can be forgiven by Luffy if she wants, as happened with Robin?

Of course, if I'm wrong, I won't mind saying I was wrong. But the argument of "is dead because yes and I ignore the rest of the details" at least it does not help me to clarify this issue , when oda, does not like to remove characters

I am not saying it in a bad way, I only ask that you answer all the points in a better way, even if it is to deny.
I really find her to be a mysterious character next to Crocodile as she was not seen in a lots of backstory with Domflamingo or with the other Donquixote members before dressrosa was taken over, not even interactions with her sister, only in punk hazard and in a few scenes of the flashback of dressrossa, and she's the only female logia, I mean why after all those years have we not seen other female logia users in the series, I don't but that seems like a sign to me. Correct if I'm wrong about any of this, this is just what I think.

But yes this is a prates life, we have seen characters like Bon Clay, Hacchi, Bellamy, Robin and Franky, they all started out as antagonist/villains and over some time, they had a change of heart, felt guilt for what they did but it depends on the character. As we seen villains go from killing, then all of you done can be forgiving as long as you change into a moral and disciplined character, and that is why it's called Redemption, that's one of things I quite like about villains, they change, so I agreed Monet will be forgiven if there's any case of her returning during wano or the next arc. And again correct if I'm wrong about this, it's just what I think.

If the intention is to keep Monet alive then that by itself would be enough reason, just keeping another card open in case there's a need or story line to use it.
That's an interesting take.

So you're not necessarily arguing that Monet is definitively dead or alive, but that Oda has written the scenario in such a way that he can decide later and justify that decision with a canon explanation retroactively?

That's an interesting take.

So you're not necessarily arguing that Monet is definitively dead or alive, but that Oda has written the scenario in such a way that he can decide later and justify that decision with a canon explanation retroactively?
Personally I would like to believe she and Vergo died, despite the circumstances they had quite dignified ends compared to other antagonists and had the chance for parting words/thoughts, since it's this series nothing can really be considered final unless there's a body buried so it can go either way.

Personally I would like to believe she and Vergo died, despite the circumstances they had quite dignified ends compared to other antagonists and had the chance for parting words/thoughts, since it's this series nothing can really be considered final unless there's a body buried so it can go either way.
I think that's the best response I could possibly ask for.

You acknowledge that she could come back based on my logic, but in your opinion, the circumstances are ambiguous enough that the alternative could be justified without making wild leaps in logic.

Along the same vein, I acknowledge that there is a fairly reasonable circumstance where she could turn out to still be dead, but the presentation of the scene suggests a leaning towards her survival.

This is really what I wanted for this whole thread all along: we now both have a solid justification for our side as well as a civil understanding of why the other feels the way they do. I can only hope that this compromise branches out into the Monet discourse as a whole.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
If Monet is dead why there isnt a DevilFruit on Thousand Sunny
:goyea:
Didn’t that axolotl DF respawn in a random apple after Smiley bit the dust? Not sure it’s ever been specified how far the spirit of the fruit can (or has to) travel before coming to rest in another one, but it probably just regenerated elsewhere close to where Monet fell (if she actually died). Had it happened on board the Sunny, there’s no doubt it would have popped up in Nami’s tangerine grove by now :shocking:

Monet is NOT DEAD. If she is dead then it would have show it but no. People were assuming Pell and Pound is dead and guess what happen. Until her death is confirmed, Monet is definitely still alive along with Vergo.
I think in a verse where timetravel is a thing and eventually Marco features a form of biological immortality then Monet being alive feels less contrived by a long extent when the heart was portrayed as far from destroyed, either that was just an author choice or not. She can always be brought back because it would not look that bad at all consistency wise.

I really find her to be a mysterious character next to Crocodile as she was not seen in a lots of backstory with Domflamingo or with the other Donquixote members before dressrosa was taken over, not even interactions with her sister, only in punk hazard and in a few scenes of the flashback of dressrossa, and she's the only female logia, I mean why after all those years have we not seen other female logia users in the series, I don't but that seems like a sign to me. Correct if I'm wrong about any of this, this is just what I think.

But yes this is a prates life, we have seen characters like Bon Clay, Hacchi, Bellamy, Robin and Franky, they all started out as antagonist/villains and over some time, they had a change of heart, felt guilt for what they did but it depends on the character. As we seen villains go from killing, then all of you done can be forgiving as long as you change into a moral and disciplined character, and that is why it's called Redemption, that's one of things I quite like about villains, they change, so I agreed Monet will be forgiven if there's any case of her returning during wano or the next arc. And again correct if I'm wrong about this, it's just what I think.
I really liked your answer. It is true that many times I forget that in the band there is no one with a logia fruit. I think monet has very good marks for being a nakama.

In fact, out of boredom, my girlfriend has read the recruiting arcs of all the nakamas many times out of boredom. And he has found several very good patterns with chopper, zoro and jimbe. Ussop and Franky. Brook and sanji.

That is, between chopper jimbe and zoro the coincidences are obvious. Between franky and ussop the same. Same for sanji and and brook.

For that reason. I defend Monet as nakama over yamato and carrot. Since yamato and carrot don't fit with nami and robin.

That is to say. If all that I have mentioned before they have a link of things in common in their stories. Why was oda going to put carrot or yamato since they don't fit the profile of nami and robin? It would be like creating a negative synergy since carrot or yamato would stand out for being strange to the group of two girls. I don't think it would be good.

This is why Monet is a better fit

I
I really liked your answer. It is true that many times I forget that in the band there is no one with a logia fruit. I think monet has very good marks for being a nakama.

In fact, out of boredom, my girlfriend has read the recruiting arcs of all the nakamas many times out of boredom. And he has found several very good patterns with chopper, zoro and jimbe. Ussop and Franky. Brook and sanji.

That is, between chopper jimbe and zoro the coincidences are obvious. Between franky and ussop the same. Same for sanji and and brook.

For that reason. I defend Monet as nakama over yamato and carrot. Since yamato and carrot don't fit with nami and robin.

That is to say. If all that I have mentioned before they have a link of things in common in their stories. Why was oda going to put carrot or yamato since they don't fit the profile of nami and robin? It would be like creating a negative synergy since carrot or yamato would stand out for being strange to the group of two girls. I don't think it would be good.

This is why Monet is a better fit
I think the next female nakama being the odd one out and hanging more with boys is a plus for her. Whoever she is. Robin kinda already has her profile. Kinda sadisitic when angry and a lot of mystery to her. I like Monet and Im down with any plans Oda has for her.

I think the next female nakama being the odd one out and hanging more with boys is a plus for her. Whoever she is. Robin kinda already has her profile. Kinda sadisitic when angry and a lot of mystery to her. I like Monet and Im down with any plans Oda has for her.
I believe that Monet is going to offer a unique profile in the band. Perhaps it is true that it may be something similar to robin. But we already have a big difference. Monet likes to flirt and he likes to be told nice things. We already saw how he blushed. And apparently she has a maternal instinct. Let's remember that deep down. The punk hazard kids trusted her a lot.

We could see the final smart nakama as nami and robin. But she would blush when sanji says something to her and that is a comic gag between characters, something important that a nakama must have. Also, let's remember that Monet let Chopper escape. The same between the two of them, a synergy of "loving mom" with chopper is born because it seems "something nice to take care of"

But let's remember the most important. Her glasses girl attitude. His personality will be something more geek than nami and robin. Since in Japanese comics, the girl "glasses with little circles" usually have a very geek behavior