Questions & Mysteries Why did Oda draw Monet's heart intact?

Hello, I quote you with "..." just to save space. Personally, I totally believe that Monet is alive. The explosion, we never saw what happened to it. Oda always teaches everything. Let's remember that in the vivre card books, Oda says that his final destination is unclear. It is obvious, that he is leaving her survival to the air.

Also, for all those people who still believe that the heart wound was still fatal or lethal. I remind you that we already have a woman who keeps many examples with Monet. Nico Robin.

Nico robin survived a fatal wound that pierced his chest from behind. I think, one thing that defines one piece, is that the characters die in flashbacks or if you are Ace or Whitebeard

If Robin survived this. Monet sure yes
CROCODAIRUUUU
:steef:

Interesting, could you please expand on that? I'm not very well versed in Japanese onomatopoeia, so I'm not exactly sure how to tell that's what it's conveying.
Its this

But after caesar retract the stab it did not appear (the onomatopeia). I can conclude that the heart stop beating ( or maybe too far to be heard)

But still i dont know why caesar retracted it

Its this

But after caesar retract the stab it did not appear (the onomatopeia). I can conclude that the heart stop beating ( or maybe too far to be heard)

But still i dont know why caesar retracted it
Ah, I think I see what you're saying here. When we see Caesar unconscious next to the heart, the heart isn't making the ba-dum/dokun sound effect, so it gives the impression that it's not beating. I will say though that while there are panels where disembodied hearts are shown beating, there are also several that don't include the beating. One page from chapter 724 features a heart in almost every panel, but only shows the heartbeat sound effect once.

Because hearts are regularly depicted without the heartbeat sound effect, it isn't an issue to show this one without the sound effect. In fact, it would be more of a problem to depict it with the sound effect, as that would be definitive proof that the heart was still beating and Monet was still alive when Oda clearly wants us to think that she's dead.

Now, one could make the argument that the way Monet's heart was beating during the stabbing is indicative of her dying. Because the heartbeat is written as "ba-dum - ba-dum... - ba-dum..." with increasingly long ellipses and not just straight "ba-dum - ba-dum - ba-dum" it gives the appearance of the heartbeat slowing down.

I personally think that it's more reflective of the scene changing, giving the impression that the sound is fading out as if we were seeing it happen in a film since that would be in line with the broken-up panels that Oda uses to indicate a transition, but it's an interesting detail nonetheless.

Last edited:
Ah, I think I see what you're saying here. When we see Caesar unconscious next to the heart, the heart isn't making the ba-dum/dokun sound effect, so it gives the impression that it's not beating. I will say though that while there are panels where disembodied hearts are shown beating, there are also several that don't include the beating. One page from chapter 724 features a heart in almost every panel, but only shows the heartbeat sound effect once.

Because hearts are regularly depicted without the heartbeat sound effect, it isn't an issue to show this one without the sound effect. In fact, it would be more of a problem to depict it with the sound effect, as that would be definitive proof that the heart was still beating and Monet was still alive when Oda clearly wants us to think that she's dead.

Now, one could make the argument that the way Monet's heart was beating during the stabbing is indicative of her dying. Because the heartbeat is written as "ba-dum - ba-dum.. - ba-dum..." with increasingly long ellipses and not just straight "ba-dum - ba-dum - ba-dum" it gives the appearance of the heartbeat slowing down.

I personally think that it's more reflective of the scene changing, giving the impression that the sound is fading out as if we were seeing it happen in a film since that would be in line with the broken-up panels that Oda uses to indicate a transition, but it's an interesting detail nonetheless.
Ah yes the fact that heart beat occasionally too. Plus the panel is supposed to make us think that monet is dead so the onomatopeia is not shown

But still it's good reference to Dr. Stone if monet is safe by getting petrified knowing Oda and Boichi are good friend

Ah yes the fact that heart beat occasionally too. Plus the panel is supposed to make us think that monet is dead so the onomatopeia is not shown

But still it's good crossover to Dr. Stone if monet is safe by getting petrified knowing Oda and Boichi are good friend
I think this is the first time I've heard someone use the possibility of Monet being caught by Shinokuni as a positive argument. I've considered it from the perspective that it would result in her being found by Brownbeard, but never that it would preserve her wounded body long enough to get treatment for her heart. I don't personally think that's the case, but I like the logic and could see it feasibly working.