General & Others Why does one piece emphasize non-familial bonds over familial ones?

I know I’ve asked this before but it really is intriguing, what is Oda trying to tell us?

And does anybody here believe that some stranger is capable of loving or caring for someone other than those they gave birth to?

What’s all y’all’s opinion about this?

I mean there are many familial bonds things in OP. All the royal kingdoms, Wano just ended and it has a lot of emphasis on familial bonds too. There are many cases for both tbh. However the will being carried forward is something that is shown to not be strictly based on familial bonds, completely unrelated persons can inherit someones will.

John Irons: What is Luffy's mother like? Was she beautiful? What happened to her? Did she die when Luffy was a baby?

Oda: I think she's alive. I'm still thinking hard about this. [Laughs] But if she does appear in the story, then she'll be a very tough-looking woman. And strict. There's no way that she's a beautiful mother. She's got this typical middle-aged woman's permed hair. Speaking about families, I did a backstory for Nico Robin and her family. That was actually the first time for me to draw a mother in a character's memory. Up until that point, I'd never drawn a blood relation. In Chopper's case, he's called a son even though he's not blood-related. So I've put in a message there saying that you can still call someone who's not related by blood your family. American Shonen Jump (December 2009 )

John Irons: What is Luffy's mother like? Was she beautiful? What happened to her? Did she die when Luffy was a baby?

Oda: I think she's alive. I'm still thinking hard about this. [Laughs] But if she does appear in the story, then she'll be a very tough-looking woman. And strict. There's no way that she's a beautiful mother. She's got this typical middle-aged woman's permed hair. Speaking about families, I did a backstory for Nico Robin and her family. That was actually the first time for me to draw a mother in a character's memory. Up until that point, I'd never drawn a blood relation. In Chopper's case, he's called a son even though he's not blood-related. So I've put in a message there saying that you can still call someone who's not related by blood your family. American Shonen Jump (December 2009 )
And she got replaced by Dadan...a motherly figure

I know I’ve asked this before but it really is intriguing, what is Oda trying to tell us?

And does anybody here believe that some stranger is capable of loving or caring for someone other than those they gave birth to?

What’s all y’all’s opinion about this?
The MC literally belongs to a famous powerful family and one of the series biggest mysterys is the D family

Calypso

"It is warm within the mansions of Hel"
Maybe it's not intentional.
Not every family bond is good.
Maybe some personal experiences from Oda?

Familial relationships dont really matter. Plenty of people that have better understanding with friends instead of family. I broke off contact with most of my family cause they assholes. Blood relation doesnt equal love or affection or caring. It might work in most cases, but its not guaranteed

The MC literally belongs to a famous powerful family and one of the series biggest mysterys is the D family
But his bond with those not related by blood are stronger
Post automatically merged:

I mean there are many familial bonds things in OP. All the royal kingdoms, Wano just ended and it has a lot of emphasis on familial bonds too. There are many cases for both tbh. However the will being carried forward is something that is shown to not be strictly based on familial bonds, completely unrelated persons can inherit someones will.
Would you entrust your will to someone who’s not related to you?

Maybe it's not intentional.
Not every family bond is good.
Maybe some personal experiences from Oda?

Every familial bond is good, some are just misunderstood

Familial relationships dont really matter. Plenty of people that have better understanding with friends instead of family. I broke off contact with most of my family cause they assholes. Blood relation doesnt equal love or affection or caring. It might work in most cases, but its not guaranteed
You’re the asshole for cutting them off tbh, now get your ass off the internet and go make up with them. Like you really pissed me off for calling them that when they’re the reason why you exist, some ppl are really…..

Oda is a communist that wants to destroy the family institution to make his revolution.
I agree

It is common in shounens, Naruto and OP went heavy on this, it is just to show that the bonds we form (the MC forms) can get as thick as family bonds be it the nakamas in OP, Luffy special power (one of them) is basically this (from the words of Mihawk in Marineford) and Naruto even ruined the manga with his talk no jutsu (aka you now are my friend), for example it is ridiculous how Pain and his arc ending were fluffed by it. And let's not even start with Faily tail.