General & Others Why is that Kid and Law despite being Luffy's rivals

well you sort of answered your question
the author is clearly angling both of them as close rivals to luffy but you as a fan interpret their feats as people who are very far off.

I suppose its the same existential crisis that exist with say shanks and mihawk
where one clashes equally with the wsm
same guy stops a war between another yonko and the navy
same guy halts an admiral by just unleashing his conquerors
The only man alive the wsc thinks can fight him competitively.
same guy goes into the gorosei quarters and is said to be someone they wont want to piss off ....

while marco tells vista to go hold the other one off
he gets easily displaced as a warlord, his territory raided with no regard
but yet the same guy is still the wss so at minimum he should be at least as strong as the other guy.

portrayal matters almost as much as you think feats do.. contrary to what I thought kidd and law arent simply going away post wano; kidd is on his way to elbaf and law is clashing with Blackbeard atm. Looks like more in store for them.
Not even close
Mihawk has the title
Luffy s bounty was dragged down because of the fruit
Law and kidd needed to team up and couldnt ko big mom
Luffy ko kaido

Not even close
Mihawk has the title
Luffy s bounty was dragged down because of the fruit
Law and kidd needed to team up and couldnt ko big mom
Luffy ko kaido
if luffy had a higher bounty, theirs would still be comparable.

title is portrayal
Bounty is also portrayal

you lot make a huge deal out of luffy not putting kaido down on his own. dont flip your stance now.
big mom was relatively fresh when she took on those two. I fail to see how you contradict my point.

oda clearly still portrays them as rivals to luffy even though one would argue they lack comparable feats
the same way shanks looks more impressive than mihawk despite the title. portrayal matters.

Mr. Tuna Sandwich

SII - Sakazuki Incinerate Imu
if luffy had a higher bounty, theirs would still be comparable.

title is portrayal
Bounty is also portrayal

you lot make a huge deal out of luffy not putting kaido down on his own. dont flip your stance now.
big mom was relatively fresh when she took on those two. I fail to see how you contradict my point.

oda clearly still portrays them as rivals to luffy even though one would argue they lack comparable feats
the same way shanks looks more impressive than mihawk despite the title. portrayal matters.
Bounties are false hype.
I can't believe people are still falling for that smh

well you sort of answered your question
the author is clearly angling both of them as close rivals to luffy but you as a fan interpret their feats as people who are very far off.

I suppose its the same existential crisis that exist with say shanks and mihawk
where one clashes equally with the wsm
same guy stops a war between another yonko and the navy
same guy halts an admiral by just unleashing his conquerors
The only man alive the wsc thinks can fight him competitively.
same guy goes into the gorosei quarters and is said to be someone they wont want to piss off ....

while marco tells vista to go hold the other one off
he gets easily displaced as a warlord, his territory raided with no regard
but yet the same guy is still the wss so at minimum he should be at least as strong as the other guy.

portrayal matters almost as much as you think feats do.. contrary to what I thought kidd and law arent simply going away post wano; kidd is on his way to elbaf and law is clashing with Blackbeard atm. Looks like more in store for them.
Not really , there is a big difference between mihawk and shanks’ rivalry and the captain trio ,
In the former both of them are presented on the same level with actual fights
Yeah they actually fought serious battles against each other
Whereas with the captain trio that never happens
in the sword rivalry , the community actually argues for who is stronger between them with relevant arguments from both the sides .
whereas I have never seen anyone even trynna argue kid or law being stronger than luffy , Tho I have seen debates about kid and law .
The only way law can even be regarded on the same level as luffy in strength rn is if he defeats Blackbeard and we both know that ain’t gonna happen .
the reality of individual portrayal exists here that kid and law had to extreme diff a weaker opponent together than the one that luffy defeated or potentially surpassed .

Being a rival does not mean being a equal. Kidd had a shot after the time skip but now it's not even a conversation. Rivals in one piece is just 2 or more characters that are willing to compete. Lucci and Jabra were rivals, kaido and Moriah were rivals, Kidd and apoo are rivals, etc.