General & Others Why shanks is trying to maintain Balance of Power?

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
We all know that one of the main goal of world government is to maintain Balance of power. To that end, they have created warlord system and even do mass cleansing if circumstances demand.

But if we analyze shanks key moments shown so far then we can conclude that he is the only pirate who seeks to maintain Balance.

1) shanks meeting the WB- shanks tried to persuade WB to stop ace from chasing Teach. He knew that ace is no match for BB but his primary concern was not to protect Ace. But, to prevent WB from getting involved as it's an established fact that WB always avenge his sons.

Shanks knew that if something bad happened to ace then WB will get involved and it will disturb balance of power thus he tried to persuade WB.

2) shanks intercepting kaido - kaido has been portrayed as a yonkou who is hungry for war. Shanks intercepted him from going to marineford to prevent him from escalating the war as it will further disrupt the balance of power

3) sengoku ending the war and handing over the bodies of ace and WB to shanks and gorosei taking out time to meet shanks during reverie.

In both instances, we heard "it's because of you" highlighting the fact that world government understands that shanks goal is same as that of theirs - to maintain balance of power.

But why shanks is doing so? I am not inclined to buy the argument that he is working for world government or he is a traitor. It's absurd idea as of now.

The only possible explanation is Luffy. WB before dying said that Roger is waiting for a D. One can imply that shanks like Roger is also waiting for a D (Luffy) to reach to the top and bring a storm that can engulf whole world.

This thought takes me back to what happened after shanks met Luffy. After sometime, shanks became a yonkou - one of the pillar to maintain Balance of power.

But what's interesting is Mihawk became a warlord - second pillar to maintain balance of power.

The reasoning we got that Mihawk joined warlord to look for stronger opponents doesnot hold grounds if we apply our common sense.

What i am trying to say here is both shanks and Mihawk intentionally became part of yonkou and warlord with common purpose of maintaining balance of power.

In short, both of them have same goal and both are working together to achieve that goal. But what that goal is debatable.

Last edited:
In VC of Mihawk it stated he joined Warlords because he was bored ( no challenger anymore for WSS ) , might be wrong because it's VC though

I think Shanks wanted peace so he tried to keep the balance , if it's not balanced then the New World will be in chaos as Garp said ; and as we saw with Whitebeard territories after his defeat to Marines & Warlords

A stable world means it's easier to set the stage for Luffy and prevent anyone from gaining too much power and taking over the world.

Sir Shanks wants Roger's will to be fulfilled but that wont happen if say, Kaido and BM make an allaince and wipe away the competition.

The deadlock must continue and Luffy has to be thr one to break it. In fact, I say Luffy was the pirate Shanks was talking about when he had the meeting with the old men. Every time Luffy gets a new bounty, Shanks is always shown commenting about as if Luffy is edging closer and closer to something Shanks set up.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
In VC of Mihawk it stated he joined Warlords because he was bored ( no challenger anymore for WSS ) , might be wrong because it's VC though

I think Shanks wanted peace so he tried to keep the balance , if it's not balanced then the New World will be in chaos as Garp said ; and as we saw with Whitebeard territories after his defeat to Marines & Warlords
Either way it doesn't make sense. Mihawk and shanks relationship is special. Shanks told Mihawk about kid Luffy.Mihawk was not interested in participating the war once shanks appeared .

Even during the war, his main acts involved comparing himself with WB for a brief moment and then testing Luffy.

I don't Know but inherently Oda has implied that both shanks and Mihawk have same goal as of now- to maintain balance of power for some reason
Post automatically merged:

A stable world means it's easier to set the stage for Luffy and prevent anyone from gaining too much power and taking over the world.

Sir Shanks wants Roger's will to be fulfilled but that wont happen if say, Kaido and BM make an allaince and wipe away the competition.

The deadlock must continue and Luffy has to be thr one to break it. In fact, I say Luffy was the pirate Shanks was talking about when he had the meeting with the old men. Every time Luffy gets a new bounty, Shanks is always shown commenting about as if Luffy is edging closer and closer to something Shanks set up.
That's why I made this thread. Why shanks is maintaining balance of power for Luffy? Just like what you said, it's like he is trying to set a stage for something big

Perhaps Shanks just doesn't want a massive war to break out before one piece is found. Maybe a big war would be a detriment to the discovery of it in Shanks' view. The other possibility is that one piece itself will cause a major conflict, and Shanks doesn't want the situation to get bad before it has to. It is quite the mystery though, but if Shanks knows about one piece, it's possible the WG puts up with him in exchange for his silence on the subject. :unsure:

M

MD Zolo

This thought takes me back to what happened after shanks met Luffy. After sometime, shanks became a yonkou - one of the pillar to maintain Balance of power.

But what's interesting is Mihawk became a warlord - second pillar to maintain balance of power.

The reasoning we got that Mihawk joined warlord to look for stronger opponents doesnot hold grounds if we apply our common sense.

What i am trying to say here is both shanks and Mihawk intentionally became part of yonkou and warlord with common purpose of maintaining balance of power.
Shanks became a Yonkou six years ago. Mihawk joined Shichibukai a lot earlier.

He knew that ace is no match for BB
Ah! You and your BB bias. It was high diff.

Nice view. It could be that Shanks actually wants to preserve the peace aka try to stop world wars (that would be provoked by disrupting the balance) plus imo he knows that BB is the biggest danger out there and he is doing what he can to stop (mainly warning other people tough, he could have stopped him permanently at Marineford but the plot demanded otherwise). About Mihawk I doubt he actually cares this much about the world balance - peace. Sure he is not a warmonger like your standard warlord (Doffy, Moria, Croco etc) still he doesn't care too much about anything not sword related. Imo he simply joined the shikis so that marines would stop bothering him. Even if now that it was so much time that the marines (or anybody) tried seriously to attack him he is even excited lol.

1) shanks meeting the WB- shanks tried to persuade WB to stop ace from chasing Teach. He knew that ace is no match for BB but his primary concern was not to protect Ace. But, to prevent WB from getting involved as it's an established fact that WB always avenge his sons.

Shanks knew that if something bad happened to ace then WB will get involved and it will disturb balance of power thus he tried to persuade WB.

2) shanks intercepting kaido - kaido has been portrayed as a yonkou who is hungry for war. Shanks intercepted him from going to marineford to prevent him from escalating the war as it will further disrupt the balance of power

3) sengoku ending the war and handing over the bodies of ace and WB to shanks and gorosei taking out time to meet shanks during reverie.
1) Ace was Shanks' friend, and Luffy's brother, he was worrying for Ace.

2) Shanks helped WB so they could save Ace from execution. If he let Kaido attack WB, then WB couldn't make it in time.

3) Shanks saved Luffy and then he recovered Ace's corpse and WB's corpse so the marines wouldn't make fun of with their dead bodies. Ace was his friend and he respected WB even though they were enemies.

The poneglyphs store very important information, shanks doesn't want it to fall in the wrong hands.

Like if Kaido, Big Mom, or Blackbeard got the ancient weapons they would literally destroy the world