Questions & Mysteries Will Kaido have a flashback?

How long will Kaido’s flashback be?

• Total voters

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎

Self explanatory thread.

Do you guys think Kaido will have a flashback? Will it be a multi chapter flashback like Doflamingo / Law’s? Will it be a few pages to possibly one chapter and be brief? No flashback at all?

IMO, a lot of people are expecting a Doffy level flashback to take place. And I don’t see that happening. The only purpose for that flashback would be to convey one of two things, The Rox pirates and why Kaido is in Wano. And I am really doubting that we will get a Rox face reveal here. I think that’s going to be saved for Blackbeard who seems to have some deep admiration for Rox as a pirate.

And tbh I don’t think a flashback on why Kaido is in Wano would be a very long one.

I am of the opinion that if we get a Kaido flashback it’ll be brief. 1.5 chapters at the most.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Doffy never actually had a big flashback.

Law had a big flashback, and Doffy got like half a chapter in it.

The longest villain flashback was the three (I think) chapters that Big Mom got in WCI. Everyone else really doesn’t have all that much.

I think when the time comes for Kaido to die we’ll get a bit. Even if it’s just like Whitebeard’s, which was just a few pages of him talking to Roger and the bit where he talks about his dream of a family.

A long flashback at this point just interrupts the pacing and rhythm too much. There’s potential for a bit of a longer one after the raid is over, maybe coming from Yamato’s perspective.

But ultimately I’m not expecting more than half a chapter at this stage where we get maybe our first real look at Rocks. I think there’s a general God’s Valley flashback covering all the figures in that fight that will come later on, from the perspective of Garp or Rayleigh.

It makes no sense, from a narrative stand point, not to have a Kaido's flashback. The worst thing Oda can do to Kaido is not respect his character enough to not give him a backstory, which I won't be surprised considering how Oda has treated him thus far. The second worse thing Oda can do to Kaido is wait till the end of a 150 chapter arc to give Kaido a flashback which is most likely what is going to happen. The flashback will be 2 - 3 chapters IMO.

I never expected a long one to begin with. It was mostly people thinking he’d get the exact same treatment as Big Mom, or hoping for one to actually make him a good character in their minds.

It’s too late to have a long flashback at this point, so I agree with those who believe it will be half a chapter to around 1 chapter at most.
Why would it be too late to have a long Kaido's fb? We got Noland and Calgara's fb when Luffy was about to defeat Enel for good

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Why would it be too late to have a long Kaido's fb? We got Noland and Calgara's fb when Luffy was about to defeat Enel for good
The Noland flashback didn’t interrupt the fight though. Enel had tossed Luffy off the Maxim a fair bit before the flashback started. It went

-Luffy vs Enel, Enel tosses Luffy off
-Enel sets up the Maxim to destroy Skypiea
-flashback
-Enel continues to destroy Skypiea
-Luffy’s triumphant return

There was a good few breaks in the action to fit the flashback in.

Kaido’s flashback would really need to have fallen in any of the times he defeated Luffy. For a big one to happen now it needs to be mid-fight, right at the very end, which interrupts the flow, or, even worse, for Kaido to beat Luffy again and it happens in the break before the final round.

Garp the Fist explains it pretty well, but it’s basically about the flow of the story and how Oda places them. He typically puts them in natural break points where a fight has been interrupted or after an opponent is basically defeated. When it’s the latter, it’s usually just a quick one to show their thought process and doesn’t go on for multiple chapters.

The Noland flashback didn’t interrupt the fight though. Enel had tossed Luffy off the Maxim a fair bit before the flashback started. It went

-Luffy vs Enel, Enel tosses Luffy off
-Enel sets up the Maxim to destroy Skypiea
-flashback
-Enel continues to destroy Skypiea
-Luffy’s triumphant return

There was a good few breaks in the action to fit the flashback in.

Kaido’s flashback would really need to have fallen in any of the times he defeated Luffy. For a big one to happen now it needs to be mid-fight, right at the very end, which interrupts the flow, or, even worse, for Kaido to beat Luffy again and it happens in the break before the final round.
Garp the Fist explains it pretty well, but it’s basically about the flow of the story and how Oda places them. He typically puts them in natural break points where a fight has been interrupted or after an opponent is basically defeated. When it’s the latter, it’s usually just a quick one to show their thought process and doesn’t go on for multiple chapters.
There's still the whole Onigashima falling plotline that could provide another break to Luffy vs Kaido, you wouldn't even need for Kaido to defeat Luffy again
The setup is definitely there IMO it's just a matter if Oda wanna use it or not

A lot of people who think that getting a flashback now would interrupt the flow of the ongoing fight forget that a big part of his flashback's makeup would revolve around the concept of what it means to carry Joyboy's mantle and how that title is relevant to the immediate future of the story and what remains of it post Wano

ALL of which is relevant to Luffy's new powerup, potentially Kaido's reason for occupying Wano, what it means to open Wano's borders etc.

So the flashback itself would LEND towards the final phases of the fight which would make the last few exchanges between both of them all the more meaningful in the context of what this arc and saga have been building up to for a decade and in what it would set up for the series' finale.

It doesn't need to be a detriment like people have fixated their minds on.

There's also a LOT of breadcrumbs alluded towards Kaido's character motivations/secrets (no other antagonist comes close) in the past 50-60 chapters which cannot be satisfyingly resolved in a matter of a single chapter like a lot of people here wish for.

I reckon we'll see his flashback in parts, some of it during the fight itself and some right as he gets defeated/killed (senor pink style)

Last edited: