Character Discussion Would Doflamingo be stronger if...

Have Doflamingo did everything he could?

• Total voters
Doflamingo is a reasonable character in a series where the main character gets by being oblivious to his own miracles.

Since he wasn't the apprentice of any great pirate, Doflamingo could only use his own means to get to the top. I suppose that means being unaware of advanced Haohshoku. It definitely means being right that fighting Kaido is a stupid idea , so he moreso waited until an answer presented itself. Like how Teach was fine being a nobody until Thatch found that fruit. Kaido is a decade older so had Luffy not come along who knows how he could have advanced?

Would Doflamingo be stronger than what he presented during Dressrosa if he had better motivation to aim for the top?

Do you think he got too laid back with his road to becoming a great pirate?

Did his "family" held him back by pep talking him?

Bonus question: Was everything above false and Doffy was on his way to becoming a monster in his own right but his meeting with Kaido was the beginning of the down spiral/less strive for the top?

Did Kaido crushed Doflamingo's dreams at one stage to the point where Doflamingo never recovered mentally to push back to the top again and he became content with his position as Kaido's lackey?

@Light D Lamperouge could you tag Doffy bois?
If anything I feel his crew was more impressive than I expected...

At Punk Hazard when Vergo came, I thought he used to work for a Yonko... meaning, my eyes was set on Yonko only as villains in new world... I didn't think a shichibukai would be another arc enemy after the timeskip training

So basically I thought most shichibukai wouldn't even stand a chance (except for Mihawk naturally)

But Doffy and his crew were more impressive than I expected...

Plex

Powerscaling Snob
Doflamingo is fine as he is. You don't amass such a influence in the NW and mastery of a devil fruit until the point of awakening by being lazy/unmotivated. The business relationship with Kaido was deeper than what was hinted at in PH/DR. They were actually planning a world war together, benefiting Kaido with his "armageddon" dream and Doffy by destroying everything the CD hold dear.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
So I can see years ago Doffy get rekt by Kaido or his calamity. After he and his crew get crushed, they became lazy, knowing that they never can beat Kaido and his crew. Hope we going to learn more about it.
This is something I hope gets mentioned or we get to see. Because I don't believe someone with Doffy's qualities became lazy and happy with getting some lame berries for SMILE fruits.

This is something I hope gets mentioned or we get to see. Because I don't believe someone with Doffy's qualities became lazy and happy with getting some lame berries for SMILE fruits.
Look how he was when we see at the begin, he always go for the biggest and important things, he getting Law fruit as example was a major point for him to became stronger. Based on Sengoku we see how he always search for power but when he became the king of Dressrosa, he became lazy for no reason as his other crew members. They became just underlings of Kaido, doing what he want, if not he killing them. Doffy is not someone who easily get scared, but when he hear Kaido, he shit his pants, knowing how brutal Kaido is. And we see how Kaido threat and take someone under his command. It seems like Doffy has personal experince when it come to Kaido.

Seeing how he reacted to Tsuru
I think he just never tried to "surpass" his own limits. All of his crew were recruited before becoming the King of Dressrossa, and after he became the King Of Dressrossa, he just stopped recruiting and honestly it feels like a lot of his executives became accustomed to Dressrossa. Trebol just became Sugar's body guard who relied on nobody figuring out his "Logia" trick , Pica started relying too much on Dressrossa's Environment (although I give him credit that he at least learned Fullbody Haki), Diamante relied on his Opponents being defeated by his Iron Spikes.

How can Diamante's executives grow any stronger when they just beat Up Spartan level Fodders all the time, what could Motivate Trebol's executives to grow stronger when have such hax abilities, how could Pica's Army grow stronger when their devil fruits were enough for the missions they are supposed to fullfil.

His Crew never became stronger because they never needed to get stronger, Their strength was enough for their goals, and instead of Aiming for the next step(Yonkohood) Doflamingo just spent the next decade having sex with Viola instead of unlocking Advanced Haki and shit like that.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I think you’re just overthinking stuff.
Doflamingo feared Kaido simply because is a 4,6 billion berry immortal pirate 10 times stronger than him, with a crew 10 times stronger than his.
That’s it.
I am not even sure that they ever meet in person.
But didn't you get a feeling with all flashbacks about Doffy and shit + his qualities that he was born to be a strong pirate?

His crew had major potential.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
He became the absolute ruler of the underworld, and a king. He accomplished quite a lot. Not being Yonko level doesn’t make someone unexceptional.
Wasn't getting revenge at Celestial Dragons his little plan too? Getting them fucked up would require you to "at least" be a Yonko.

He had Devil fruit awakening and shit.

I may overthink we will see but I definitely see he had a roadblock at one point of his life which was Kaido.

Doffy's persona is bigger than life and I don't believe someone like him is content sitting and producing lame SMILES.

I respect your opinion tho.

Wasn't getting revenge at Celestial Dragons his little plan too? Getting them fucked up would require you to "at least" be a Yonko.

He had Devil fruit awakening and shit.

I may overthink we will see but I definitely see he had a roadblock at one point of his life which was Kaido.

Doffy's persona is bigger than life and I don't believe someone like him is content sitting and producing lame SMILES.

I respect your opinion tho.
Doflamingo said to Law that there are many ways by which one can get rid of a more powerful enemy. I think that this reflects his way of operating. He probably wanted to take down the CDs indirectly, by reinforcing their enemies and destabilising the balance of power until he could wage war to them.
So being as powerful as a Yonko wasn’t mandatory (and most likely beyond his reach).

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Well, looking at Moria... Kaido is good at crushing people's dreams.

BTW, I think DD had potential to be a top tier but he also grew "lazy" over the years imo. Was just mostly chilling and toying with prey. He had no real opportunity to grow in power tremendously.
I don’t think Doffy had any top tier potential tbh. Maybe if there was a power vacuum and no top tiers, he could gradually grow to that level. I don’t think he’ll bust into it Luffy style though.
Post automatically merged:

Did his "family" held him back by pep talking him?

Bonus question: Was everything above false and Doffy was on his way to becoming a monster in his own right but his meeting with Kaido was the beginning of the down spiral/less strive for the top?
The family didn’t hold him back much, I’d say. It was his own goals that shifted. He ultimately was content to control the underworld from the shadows and naturally stood on the sidelines.

Without Kaido he’d of grown a bit stronger since he’d probably have to compete with Kaido to some degree. Not anything worthwhile.

Honestly, Doflamingo might have just not have had the "Personality" To unlock advanced Haki. .

We shouldn't let how Luffy unlocked them fool us into thinking that anyone in the YC range can do it too, he may unlock Ryou since it's barely any harder to unlock than basic Haki. But anything more might just require a different kind of mindset from his

Getting "advanced CoC" wouldn't do shit in terms of his success. He's not beating Kaido or becoming PK regardless.

When you take a look at people like Big Mom, Whitebeard, Kaido, Blackbeard, they are pure genetic freaks. Either giants with massive strength or someone that can eat multiple Devil Fruits and never sleeps. Now imagine SURPASSING them.

At best he would have been Shanks level which is not enough to be Pirate King. His best bet was to play all sides and gain power through the underworld. Without Law's sabotage, he could have very well been ruling the world right now.

. Like how Teach was fine being a nobody until Thatch found that fruit. Kaido is a decade older so had Luffy not come along who knows how he could have advanced?
Perfect example. Blackbeard waited until 38 with 0 bounty for the right opportunity to strike.

Because Oda decide for him not to be top tier. It should already answer the question.

But from fans perspective, i'd say he have potential as he is a CoC user, but lacks of guts. We can also see that in MF, he never attack WB, just his crew. He is very calculative person, He isn't going to fight someone he know he have very small chance to win. Maybe thats the reason he doesn't grow up to top tier level.