Character Discussion Yamato general discussion

Don't worry.
Law, who couldn't do shit against Doflamingo besides hit him once with some cheap shot is gonna help Kidd beat Big Mom.
You know Kidd, right?
The dude that hasn't gotten a single W since he appeared, besides a Pacifista (was with Law as well).
Is joining Law to fight Big Mom as a "filler" fight.

Oh...this raid....:shame:
Post automatically merged:

I do as well.
What I'm saying is that Yamato's gag is not the "worst thing" people think it is.
Despite the fact that Oden is the most garbage character Oda has ever written, I think Yamato idolizing him and going over the top with it is fine. I actually laughed at Shinobu and Momo's reactions to her screaming she's Oden.
At least Law and Kid have history and make sense as characters with their motivations and desires. Yamato is just there. She’s there to stall, to be a way to keep Oden in the main story, to do an info dump about the journal and laugh tale, to be an Ace fan, to fawn over Luffy and want to sail with him for no real reason. Yeah I’m sure Oda will give her some more substance, but it doesn’t matter — She’s a glorified plot device. It’s really indicative of Oda as a writer who has characters do things to service the plot. Instead of characters actions, choices, motivations and dreams driving the plot (besides Luffy I guess since his dream is the plot).

She could be great villain or antagonist that fight first on Kaido side, but then change side after Luffy and Zoro completed her strenght test. Then she also could join SH, and that would be much cooler then this cheap crap about Oden. Oda ruined her drom the begining. Also I'm a bit dissapointed that Yamato didn't have dragon fruit...imagine her in hybrid dragon form with wings etc, she will be look like some succubus. Instead Oda gave her lame wolf. That's all, now conclusions:
1. Horrible personality;
2. Bad background;
3. Fruit isn't that great;
4. She is strong;
So two negative points, one neutral against one positive.

Last edited:
Yamato was always introduced as a woman and although I hate Loda I don't think he is transphobic so she doesn't have gender dysphoria I think, just massive attachment to Oden and his values other than personality foremostly.:josad:

Well I will use this thread to express my disappointment. For me, most of the Wano arc was extremely bad, which made me even more excited for the ending. But Oda used the last chapter of this arc to troll his readers. That is, so to speak, the icing on the cake in a negative sense. The last chapter showed that Oda has no plan at all. Sure, he has a plan for the end. He also has certain fixed points in his notes that need to be worked through (Shanks, Blackbeard, Elbaf, Vegapunk, Dragon etc.). But the way there, everything in between, is flexible and the bottom line is that he doesn't give a shit what he does to his story with certain tricks (Nika, Yamato's sudden change of heart). He doesn't care as long as he enjoys it. He recently admitted this himself in an interview. The current chapter confirms that.

It's his work and of course he can do whatever he wants with it. But the fact of the matter is that there are no arguments justifying his current decision not to let Yamato join. Not a single argument. Oda could have solved the problem with the Oden obsession just as easily as Franky's inner conflict just before leaving Water 7. Yamato's entire build came down to her wanting to live out Oden's spirit of freedom, while Momonosuke shoulders responsibility on Wano, for which Oden also once gave up his desire for freedom. Momonosuke and Yamato represent the two sides of Oden. So leaving Yamato on Wano makes absolutely no sense.

Yamato never tired of emphasizing that she wanted to accompany Luffy, who certainly wouldn't have objected. Oda never showed us that Yamato had an inner conflict about this. She was never unsure if she actually wanted to leave Wano with the Straw Hats. We also now know that Oden apparently learned something on Laugh Tale that made him decide to open the borders of Wano. A piece of information that was missing from his logbook because the relevant page was torn out. Yamato's role at sea would have been clear: fathom the missing page's information. While Momonosuke rebuilds the country and assumes the responsibility that his father once wanted to shoulder, she would have been on her way to find out what Oden found out. Both perspectives - the journey on the Grandline and the role played by Wano - are important in arriving at the realization that Wano's borders need to be opened. But Oda doesn't give a shit about that now. What did Oden find out? Figuring this out would have been Yamato's logical task. That's up to Robin now.

By the way, Sukiyaki is the best example that Oda himself is no longer interested in what he wrote before. Sukiyaki says in chapter 1053 that he had no intention of telling Momonosuke that he was alive. Three chapters later he does exactly that. We don't know what made him do it. Oda didn't seem to think that was important enough to bring up. The same with Yamato: He deliberately built her as a future Straw Hat, but is now backing down. We know why Yamato suddenly changed her mind. She wants to explore Wano. As trite and stupid as that flimsy justification might be, her confrontation with Ryokugyu may have made her realize that for now, she needed to stay on Wano to protect the land from invaders.

But how does that compare to how Oda has portrayed her for the past 70-80 chapters? What value does that have compared to her right to exist, which Oda is now willingly throwing away? We now have two characters who both inherited the will of Oden and both remain on Wano out of a sense of responsibility. Yamato has sacrificed her dream of freedom to stay on Wano for the same reasons Momonosuke stays there. That makes her superfluous, she no longer have a right to exist. Oda has now taken it from her. Every panel with Yamato was a waste. Marco, who seemed completely unnecessary and superfluous in this arc anyway, might as well have kept Kaido busy.

The only explanation I have is that Oda didn't want to shake up the power scaling within the crew after all because Yamato is probably marginally stronger than Zoro. Zoro and Sanji are the two wings of the future pirate king and must therefore always come in second and third place. That was probably also the reason why Jinbe twice postponed his entry. Jinbe was stronger than Sanji on FMI.

Yamato's sudden change of heart reveals Oda's greatest weaknesses in one fell swoop. This twist is symbolic of everything that has been wrong with the manga for quite some time. Oda deliberately portrayed Yamato as a future Straw Hat, but sacrificed everything for a silly twist with no proper explanation. "Wow, I'm completely surprised! This decision was totally unexpected! Oda is a genius!" He knows the twist wouldn't have worked if there had been signs. As a fan, I actually feel screwed by Oda. I'm disappointed and frustrated because false hopes were deliberately given to me. This is also the reason why I will now take a break from this manga for an indefinite period of time. This isn't defiance, but this chapter really took all of my anticipation out of what was to come.

Last edited:
I'm pretty indifferent. I'll probably enjoy the character more in small doses so I wouldn't mind a cover-story. I felt like Oda gave quite a lot of spotlight to the character but the longer things went on, the less invested I was in Yamato personally.

I think while she would be an entertaining character (not necessarily a well written one so don’t kill me guys) and her dynamics with the crew would be something to really look forward to

But I guess Oda never intended to make her a full fledged straw hat, Luffy didn’t change anything in her outlook of life, she always wanted to live like Oden. All of the straw hats were people that Luffy saved in a way that completely changed their lives and while he did save Yamato physically from Kaido’s shackles, she was always free. You could say it was Ace who truly saved her so it would make sense to join HIS crew had he still been alive and even more sense to serve as the guardian of Wano.

Last thing is that we can’t have more than two conqueror’s in a Yonko crew that would break the whole balance of power. It’s enough to have Zoro as the second Conqueror of the crew. Having Luffy, wings and then the rest of the crew is the perfect crew dynamics in terms of strength

1. Yamato was not free in any sense. The delusions formed because that journal was literally all there was.

The literal shackle is the exact same thing that held Jinbe, but Yamato was suppressed from pretty much ever leaving Onigashima since the age of 8. That's much more dramatic than what Usopp had to deal with, like Drum but with a much bigger magnitude. Ace was the catalyst but that was years ago and he never got to come back.

2. Roger had Rayleigh and Oden on his last stretch, so it would have been the same.

3. That has nothing to do with talking about joining the Straw Hats up until one chapter and saying no, I gotta learn more about this country.