Current Events Yamato won't join

One Piece fandom: OMG, why is the Strawhats lacking firepower?!?!? We need more strong and competent female fighter.

*Yamato appears*

One Piece fandom: Nooooo, Yamato can't join, her character sucks, she's a furry, etc.

Me:
Right. I feel proud to have been coherent the whole time.

First time I spot Yamato I said to myself and to the public that I would of considered her the Xena of One Piece if she showed enough and overall I think she deserves it.

Every arc post-skip, one piece fans have latched on to some character that they liked, and shipped them to join the straw hat crew. In punk hazard it was monet, in dressrosa it was rebecca, violet, and the colosseum fighters, in whole cake island it was carrot and pudding, and now in wano it is yamato.

None of those characters were main characters of their respective arcs, they all had too little build up to even have the chance to become a crew member. The only exception would be Carrot, but even she still doesn't have her own character focused arc.

The thing about the straw hat crew that y'all don't get, is that it is a very tightly nit group of characters and just because a character is friends with Luffy or whatever doesn't mean they are going to join the crew. Jinbe was the only straw hat to join post skip and even still, he played a major role pre-skip which justified his inclusion into the crew. But this is wano, we are entering the end stage of the series, why the hell should any more characters be shoehorned into the straw hat crew? Oda has a hard enough time as it is giving the current cast enough time, why add more?

The fact that the toast was held off was pretty strong foreshadow that we would be possibly getting another member.

And specifically, why Yamato? For a future straw hat, Oda really dropped the ball with her. He could have easily introduced her at the beginning of wano and had her play a bigger role in the arc, yet she was only introduced in act 3. What's more is that she has no real dream, apart form leaving wano, and she honestly seems too powerful to join the crew. I mean a mythical zoan? She was able to fight 1v1 with kaido, I don't think the straw hats need someone that strong.

No, Oda couldn't have introduced Yamato at the start of the arc because the raid hadn't started yet, it would have ruined the surprise of this new character who came to join Luffy's fight against Kaido when nothing was happening. As for her dream, Oda hasn't made her say it out explicitly yet, but do you seriously think that Oda is not gonna do that in the coming chapters?

At least for Oden, he served a purpose. Roger needed someone who could read the poneglyphs, which oden could. What role is there on the crew that demands Yamato's inclusion?

Those can come later, Oda doesn't always reveal their purpose the moment they are introduced. People were screaming right after Fishman Island that the crew didn't need Jinbe to join because he was too strong. Then Jinbe showed off his helmsman skills and people no longer questioned him. There was even speculation of Jinbe being the helmsman even before WCI, and there were still people saying that a helmsman isn't needed because anybody on the crew can sail a ship, how many people are still saying that after he showed off his helmsman skills in WCI?

Personally, I think it would be better if she just joined Law's crew.

Law's crew will forever be underwhelming, Jean Bart joining his crew tells you all you need to know about the appeal that Law has, no one from the grand fleet wanted to join him back during dressrosa. Yamato has no desire to join Law's crew, she singled out Luffy explicitly.

Law seemingly has a close relationship with momonosuke and the scabbards. At the moment, it seems like Shinobu will use her powers to permanently turn Momo into an adult. This effectively decreases Momo's lifespan and traps him in the body of an adult when he is still just a boy. Given how much he knows, I'm willing to bet Law knows what Jewelry Bonney can do and hence will probably follow down Corazon's footsteps, taking momo aboard his crew and helping him become a boy again by finding jewelry bonney.

The people of Wano have been waiting 20 years for Momo to come back and Momo himself has always said that he will be the new Shogun. Why on earth would both Momo and the people of Wano do a 180 and change their minds this late into the saga? Wano is in the shit situation its in because Oden abandoned Wano in the first place, now you want Momo to do the same thing? How does that help in restoring the honour of the Kozuki name? If that happened they could lose the trust of the people of Wano forever.

If this is where Momonosuke goes, Yamato, who has become an unofficial retainer of Momo's, would likely follow suit. This would also have the effect of giving Law something of a decent crew. Out of the 3 top supernova captains, Luffy, Law, and Kid, Law has the most underwhelming crew; so I think yamato and Momonosuke would be a good fit.

Law had a underwhelming crew even back during Dressrosa and nobody wanted to join him, they all joined Luffy. And yet even with this underwhelming crew he still led them into the Wano War against Kaido. If Law needs a decent member so badly, Carrot can join his crew, i'm sure she would get along well together with Bepo who is also a mink.

Plus Yamato has zero interactions with Law, nor does she have any interest in him. The bonding isn't even there.