General & Others Yonko crew: the Big Mom Pirates

This thread is about discussing on the Big Mom Pirates, the crew led by the emperor Charlotte Linlin aka Big Mom who rules over Totto Land and is the matriarch of the Charlotte family.

What are your thoughts on the Big Mom Pirates and on their country Totto Land ? What do you like or dislike about them ? What are their strengths and weaknesses as a military power ? Who's your favorite BMP ?

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
The best things about the BMP are the diversity : design, powers, tribes, behavior etc.

I also like the act that this is a really well organized kingdom, and the fact that Big mom network and security is quite high.

An other cool fact is that we know a lot of BMP, even the mid tiers and low tiers BMp were highlight during their arc.

The standouts for me were : Katakuri, Perospero, and Tamago.

About BM herself : it is complicated : on one hand she can be a good villain sometimes : there are moments she seems so OP, unbeatable, smart and scary that we legitimately fear her. But there is also the fact that her place in the story is weird : her hunger issues that can be boring, and the thing with her spilt personality and what Mother Carmel did when Lillin "ate" them all. We know that their is something fishy with all of that.
All of that makes us believe that she will not be really an enemy in the end. But also she is not really threatening anymore because we know that the plot will lead her to be somewhat an ally or nerfed etc.
The big bad Big mom will never face the SH in all her might.

Last edited:
The best things about the BMP are the diversity : design, powers, tribes, behavior etc.

I also like the act that this is a really well organized kingdom, and the fact that Big mom network and security is quite high.

An other cool fact is that we know a lot of BMP, even the mid tiers and low tiers BMp were highlight during their arc.

The standouts for me were : Katakuri, Perospero, and Tamago.

About BM herself : it is complicated : on one hand she can be a good villain sometimes : there are moments she seems so OP, unbeatable, smart and scary that we legitimately fear her. But there is also the fact that her place in the story is weird : her hunger issues that can be boring, and the thing with her spilt personality and what Mother Carmel did when Lillin "eat" them all. We know that their is something fishy with all of that.
All of that makes us believe that she will not be really an enemy in the end. But also she is not really threatening anymore because we know that the plot will lead her to be somewhat an ally or nerfed etc.
The big bad Big mom will never face the SH in all her might.
Yes, Lola gave her mother's VC so she would help the Straw Hats and Luffy thought at first that she was a nice person. It may end true lol.

It's sure that the way Oda has been handling her as a villain is really weird and flawed though it would be foolish to forget that she's in the same power category than old WB, Kaido or Shanks.

I really like BMP because they have the most wesome territory. Tottoland is so dream like. They have a very diverse tribe living and working there, the country has clearly divide into several province especially to handle/produce special product, the government hierarchy and job desc each member has is very detailed as well. They seems to even has a well thought evacuation procedure for when Big Mom rampaging or when enemy invade. The crew also has interesting design, weapons, and df powers. I personally prefer BMP over other pirates so far. And of course, I like katakuri amongst BMP.

Imo the best Yonko crew, I love their diverse designs and I really like how the crew is themed after fairy tales and fantasy fiction as well as having a food theme. I also like how despite being a very colorful crew they are also a very ruthless pirate crew that will destroy countries, and also rob and kill innocent people.

Their devil fruit abilities are also very interesting, and I like how they can make a seemingly boring devil fruit ability into something really interesting and cool. A perfect example is with Cracker with his biscuit df ability, a biscuit df ability may sound boring at first, but someone like Cracker who is a biscuit craftsman and a very strong fighter who had years of training with his devil fruit showed us that you can take a seemingly boring devil fruit and actually make it useful.

You have Big Mom who can bring stuff to life, Daifuku who can summon a genie, Mont-d'Or who can control books, Cracker who can create hundreds of biscuit soldiers and so on, these devil fruit abilities really make the crew diverse and fun. I also like how organize they are as a crew especially when dealing with enemies, for example when Luffy and the others first went to Totto Land Big Mom and her crew knew they were there so they made a plan to lure them into the seducing woods. You had Pudding who would tell the SHs how to get to WCI, then you had Brûlée who would use a mirror image of Sanji to lure Luffy and the others into the woods, once they were in the woods that's when both Brûlée and the seducing woods homies then separated Luffy and the others.

I also how the BMP are all about trickery and deception like how Big Mom made a promise to Sanji about letting Luffy and the others go if he agreed with the marriage to Pudding, only later on to find out that it was all a lie and that she was planning on killing the Vinsmokes, Sanji, and Luffy and the others from the very beginning. There was also the Luffy vs Cracker fight when Luffy who went Gear 4 thought he finally hit Cracker only to find out that the Cracker he punched wasn't the real Cracker but a biscuit armor, it's all about making it seem like the enemy has a fighting chance only for them to strike it down.

As for the country Totto Land it's a really great food theme country that is very well protected, the best part about Totto Land is that you can pretty much choose any of the 35 islands to live on and you will never go hungry. The only main issue with living in Totto Land especially if you live on WCI is Big Mom with her food rampages, but I'm assuming it doesn't happen all the time and when it does happen it's usually dealt with pretty quickly. The only reason why Big Mom's food rampage was bad during the second half of the WCI arc was because Streusen was badly injured, the cake Big Mom wanted was gone so they had to start all over again, and they also had to deal with the SHs, The Fire Tank Pirates, and the Germa.

I do like how despite being a very ruthless pirate crew they do care for their own country and citizens, imo they really do have the best designs when it comes to a Yonko crew even the female members all have unique looking designs. The only reason why some people downplay them and bash on them is because they weren't portrayed as being a perfect crew, and also because they didn't kill the SHs.

Yeah the BMP aren't a perfect crew they do have their flaws and the only reason why they ended up failing on certain situations was because of plot, how were they supposed to know that Nami had Big Mom's vivre card and was controlling the homies, or that there was going to be a full moon in which Carrot went sulong. The only reason why they failed to kill the SHs was because of plot, underestimating the SHs and others, and the SHs having help. I can understand the criticism with Big Mom especially during the second half of the WCI arc, but as for the crew imo I think it's ridiculous that some people still downplay and bash on them just because they weren't portrayed as being perfect and failed on killing the SHs.

Overall they are a pretty great pirate crew and not only are they my favorite Yonko crew, but they are also my second favorite pirate crew after the Straw Hat Pirates.

I have to say that they were my favorite Yonko crew, but you certainely already know it.

I really like their colorful motives and designs, their great diversity of Strange and cool designs, of species, of personnalities and powers.
And also their fairy tale and food and family themes.

I really love how they are able of such creativity and versatility with their df, turning mundane things such as books, mirrors, cream, biscuits, candy, juice or mochi into awesome things both in terms of practical uses.

I really like Perospero, Oven, Smoothie, Mont d'Or, Galette, Tamago and above all Katakuri who is my favorite Yonko Commander thanks to his badassery, creativity, care for his family and crew, design and goofier side.

I also like that they are more morally ambigious than the other antagonistic yonko crews as shown with their genuine care for their family, country and citizens and of them being more affable than the BB Pirates and Beast Pirates.

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
By far the best Yonko crew, challenged only by the Blackbeard pirates, imo. A lot of posters already enlightened on their pros, which are their diverse and creative designs and powers.

They are easily the most organized crew, acting as a Kingdom/Government than a mere pirate crew. The designs for many members tell a story or character without that particular character getting much panel time.

And among those various backgrounds, we know there is a bit of relatability. Katakuri, Brulee, Pudding are just some of the few who's stories we got to see play out. As part of a family with so much prestige, they've set expectations placed on them, and anything perceived as less than ideal is ostracized. An inherent contradiction to the philosophy of globalization and united Linlin strives towards.

But that's the beauty in the Charlotte family. It's this bright and colorful world from the onset, but inside there is something twisted, even dark. Still, there is a spark of light in the dysfunction. As seen with Pudding's change of heart and Katakuri's indemnity. The latter that has helped glue the family together to a degree.

Linlin is both a frightening yet tragic figure. An innocent soul led astray by a veil of kindness. Something that's carried into her own lifestyle of happiness pretense hiding a nasty fate. Totland is a country made of foods of all kind, but the toll for living there is your life. And at any moment, its "benevolent" ruler turning into rampaging disaster.

They are the most complex and richly developed pirate crew in the series. One which rivals even the Marines in its layers.

P

PeperLevi

Worst crew in the entire series. Still have no clue why Oda thought it’d be a good idea to bring them to Wano.
This image certainly was made by some Straw Hat Crew's fool fanboy that think they can naturally be always ahead his enemies.
Big Mom Pirates are miles above Straw Hats as crew. So far,they have (and it's only accord with what was showed) 69 crewmates that aren't fodders and almost defeated Straw Hats completely 3 times during Totto Land Arc. And every time,they were saved by luck strikes.
That's why i'm so anxious for Onigashima War. Because this time,try escape and trust in luck won't be options for Straw Hats,as thanks their own arrogance,the another titanic crew which they wanna take down will work together with Big Mom Pirates.

I think as a crew, their members are very unique, and they have diversity in their abilities I have yet to see in any other crew yet! The crew members' designs also were very good.

Also, what's good about their unique design and DF powers, is that they force you to think about some theories regarding what they will be useful for, and so many other stuff.

On the other hand, I have no complaint about Kaido's crew either, but you can sense that they get less discussion because they simply are "Zoan" and we can only discuss the "OBVIOUS" about Zoans. Unlike Paramecia, which is very prevelant in Big Mom crew, and Paramecia can be utilized better when creating theories and discussion, as they have more uniqueness and more versatility.

So, that in turn, can make the "plot" larger in some way than the obvious "head to head" combat which is what Zoan are mostly for. Which is natural considering this arc should be a "war"

The Big Mom Pirates are to put it simply, a collection of novel ideas that were executed poorly.

They have a bunch of unique (unique does not necessarily mean good, just look at Wanze) designs that can be entertaining on a basic level but if you are looking for decent characters or interesting personalities, well Katakuri is the only half decent oasis in the middle of this collective desert of vapidity.

Certain members of the crew are also prime examples of why Oda should just stop trying to portray strong, female fighters. He simply fails at it. Smoothie is single handedly the most useless high ranking subordinate in the entire series, Linlin is the most disappointing major antagonist in the entire series and the less said about Compote, the better.

No major arc antagonist has suffered the same chronic humiliation that Linlin and the BMP have suffered in their portrayal. They could have been a lot better but here we are. :kayneshrug:

N

NeutralWatcher

Compared to other antagonists, I think they are fresh of breath air. They treat each other like family. You'll never see antagonist say "Don't lay a hand on my siblings" like Katakuri did.

Their dfs are also unique. Perospero made a stair using candy df, Cracker created infinite soldiers with his biscuit df and Katakuri mochi who is similar to Luffy rubber df.

BM hunger pang is the most annoying thing imo, they need to constantly feed her every day.

Other than that 1 of the best yonko crew imo

The Big Mom Pirates are to put it simply, a collection of novel ideas that were executed poorly.

They have a bunch of unique (unique does not necessarily mean good, just look at Wanze) designs that can be entertaining on a basic level but if you are looking for decent characters or interesting personalities, well Katakuri is the only half decent oasis in the middle of this collective desert of vapidity.

Certain members of the crew are also prime examples of why Oda should just stop trying to portray strong, female fighters. He simply fails at it. Smoothie is single handedly the most useless high ranking subordinate in the entire series, Linlin is the most disappointing major antagonist in the entire series and the less said about Compote, the better.

No major arc antagonist has suffered the same chronic humiliation that Linlin and the BMP have suffered in their portrayal. They could have been a lot better but here we are. :kayneshrug:
Some of the BMP do have interesting personalities such as Big Mom, Katakuri who I would say is the most well developed character out of all of them, Perospero, Mont-d'Or, Brûlée, Oven, and Flampe. As for their designs they are unique because Oda actually took the time to make each and every single one of them look unique in their own way including the minor members, the only ones I would say aren't that interesting in terms of designs are like Opera's quintuplet brothers as well as Chiffon and Lola. If Oda wanted to he could have only made the important members have unique designs and the rest all have bland looking designs, but he didn't do that and instead he made all of them have unique looking designs. He even made the female members have unique designs as well, something that Oda rarely does when it comes to designing a female character. Imo the female members have much more better designs than the Kuja Pirates as well as some other female characters in the series, seriously though even someone like Flampe has a much more better design than some of those Kuja Pirates.

I can't argue anything about Smoothie and Compote because their portrayal during the WCI arc really was bad, as for Big Mom she only became disappointing as an antagonist during the second half the WCI arc. During the first half of the WCI arc she was actually a decent antagonist, she orchestrated to have the Vinsmokes killed during the tea party and planned out how they were going to be killed, had Pudding show Luffy and the others how to get to WCI and once they arrived then she had had Brûlée lure Luffy and the others into the seducing woods, she sent Cracker a sweet general to kill Luffy, she tricked Sanji about letting Luffy and the others go, she defeated Brook and captured him, and during the tea party she defeated Judge, Niji, and Yonji. Yeah Big Mom is not the best antagonist but at least she was decent during the first half of the WCI arc, it's only during the second half of the arc when things really go downhill for her.

No plenty of major arc antagonists have suffered humiliations when they go up against the SHs the only exception to this is CP9 as well Kizaru and Sentomaru, the BMP being humiliated isn't anything new plenty of major arc antagonists are going to be shown as being seemingly perfect at first until they go up against the SHs. Despite the BMP being humiliated they were still the most dangerous enemies that Luffy and the others faced in the New World, two characters had to sacrifice themselves in order to help the SHs and others, they were almost killed multiple times and the only reason why they survived was because plot and having help, and even at the very end the SHs needed help from Jinbe, the Sun Pirates, and Germa just to escape from the BMP territory.

While I can understand some of the criticism when it comes to the BMP, the rest in the other hand is just poor and not even actual criticism it's just simply oh I wanted them to perfect and end the SHs. The problem is some people like you had high expectations for them acting like they were going to be a perfect crew with no flaws, and now we are going through a similar thing with the Beasts Pirates for the Wano arc.

Some of the BMP do have interesting personalities such as Big Mom, Katakuri who I would say is the most well developed character out of all of them, Perospero, Mont-d'Or, Brûlée, Oven, and Flampe. As for their designs they are unique because Oda actually took the time to make each and every single one of them look unique in their own way including the minor members, the only ones I would say aren't that interesting in terms of designs are like Opera's quintuplet brothers as well as Chiffon and Lola. If Oda wanted to he could have only made the important members have unique designs and the rest all have bland looking designs, but he didn't do that and instead he made all of them have unique looking designs. He even made the female members have unique designs as well, something that Oda rarely does when it comes to designing a female character. Imo the female members have much more better designs than the Kuja Pirates as well as some other female characters in the series, seriously though even someone like Flampe has a much more better design than some of those Kuja Pirates.

I can't argue anything about Smoothie and Compote because their portrayal during the WCI arc really was bad, as for Big Mom she only became disappointing as an antagonist during the second half the WCI arc. During the first half of the WCI arc she was actually a decent antagonist, she orchestrated to have the Vinsmokes killed during the tea party and planned out how they were going to be killed, had Pudding show Luffy and the others how to get to WCI and once they arrived then she had had Brûlée lure Luffy and the others into the seducing woods, she sent Cracker a sweet general to kill Luffy, she tricked Sanji about letting Luffy and the others go, she defeated Brook and captured him, and during the tea party she defeated Judge, Niji, and Yonji. Yeah Big Mom is not the best antagonist but at least she was decent during the first half of the WCI arc, it's only during the second half of the arc when things really go downhill for her.

No plenty of major arc antagonists have suffered humiliations when they go up against the SHs the only exception to this is CP9 as well Kizaru and Sentomaru, the BMP being humiliated isn't anything new plenty of major arc antagonists are going to be shown as being seemingly perfect at first until they go up against the SHs. Despite the BMP being humiliated they were still the most dangerous enemies that Luffy and the others faced in the New World, two characters had to sacrifice themselves in order to help the SHs and others, they were almost killed multiple times and the only reason why they survived was because plot and having help, and even at the very end the SHs needed help from Jinbe, the Sun Pirates, and Germa just to escape from the BMP territory.

While I can understand some of the criticism when it comes to the BMP, the rest in the other hand is just poor and not even actual criticism it's just simply oh I wanted them to perfect and end the SHs. The problem is some people like you had high expectations for them acting like they were going to be a perfect crew with no flaws, and now we are going through a similar thing with the Beasts Pirates for the Wano arc.
This entire post is just one huge straw man, accusing me of things that I never said and arguing against points that I never made.

Did I say that I wanted the BMPs to “end the SHs”?

No because that would be dumb, unrealistic and utterly destroy the plot. That is ridiculous.

Did I say that no other One Piece antagonist had suffered no humiliation whatsoever?

No, I did not, read again, properly this time.

Did I say that I wanted a “perfect crew”?

No because flaws are what makes characters interesting to begin with and besides, how many famous and popular villains/antagonists in fiction ultimately win against the protagonists in the climax of a story?

Certainly not that many in comparison to how many lose against the protagonist. That entire line of argument is just straight up disingenuous.

It is not who wins that matters but how they win. It is whether the victory is deserved against an opponent that has been hyped as a dangerous and credible foe for whatever reason. The fact that you are whipping out the “but plot” card already tells me whether or not you think the victory was deserved.

Oda made the Straw Hats win by making the Big Mom Pirates grossly incompetent despite their prior hype as a supposedly intelligent crew and yes, that gross incompetence counts as part of their portrayal.

If Oda does not take them seriously, why should anyone else?

Were my expectations high?

Should they not have been? This was the first Yonko crew that Luffy was going to face, it would be damn strange if my expectations were low.

Besides, the one who sets the expectations regarding a story is the creator of the story. They hype characters that within their world are supposed to be important and influential. Then they either deliver on that set up hype or they do not.

With Big Mom, Oda clearly did not deliver. That is on him.

Just think about these two questions.

I) Can you name me one other major arc antagonist that was outshined by their own subordinate in their own arc?

II) Would any other serious major arc antagonist (especially a male character) lose their mind, fall flat on their face, lose one of their main weapons and chase a bakery product for 20 chapters straight?

I will wait.

Last edited: