General & Others Zoro and Sanji, Wings of Pirate King

Sorry i dont read or follow Two Piece, i only read One Piece by Eiichiro Oda and in that story in SBS vol.73 he never said wings and in chapter 1020 he only called Sanji "the wings of the Pirate King".

Anyway U c 4 da idly, why are you even on ths forum when here we only talk about One Piece here?

Oda used the word ryōyoku in the SBS, its important to understand context of a statement which means both wing or can also mean both flanks (refereeing to how Zoro and Sanji are the right and left hands of Luffy) but in this statement Oda meant it as flanks not wings since he was talking about how importand Zoro and Sanji are to Luffy and how we should forgive them for always fighting, this is why i told dont believe everything you read on the internet and try using your brain a little.

The "ryōyoku" used in BS vol.73 was to referred to how both Zoro and Sanji support Luffy not that they are wings LOL
Post automatically merged:

Oda didnt say shit, Robin did.
:suresure:
I see so Two Piece is written by a lady named Robin, ill look her up but i dont think i will be following her work since it turn people's brain in to pudding.

Oda used the word ryōyoku in the SBS, its important to understand context of a statement which means both wing or can also mean both flanks (refereeing to how Zoro and Sanji are the right and left hands of Luffy) but in this statement Oda meant it as flanks not wings since he was talking about how importand Zoro and Sanji are to Luffy and how we should forgive them for always fighting, this is why i told dont believe everything you read on the internet and try using your brain a little.

The "ryōyoku" used in BS vol.73 was to referred to how both Zoro and Sanji support Luffy not that they are wings LOL

I see so Two Piece is written by a lady named Robin, ill look her up but i dont think i will be following her work since it turn people's brain in to pudding.
I'll trust Sandman, Stephen Paul and mana over you

Timestamp 51:30 Stephen Paul explains his translation choice and wanted to keep the translation short http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/2021/08/02/episode-681-tres-mano-frieza/
Yeah and how is it different to what im saying?
The phrasing and context of the wording used is similar but different from how the world ryōyoku was used in vol.73, the fact is in 1020 Robin refers to Sanji as wing is because Sanji is the wings not one of, also the Japanese language does not have plurals so its always important to understand the meaning from context.

Some of these people are too hung up on one word and not the statement and what its contexts implies, just using the word wings and not looking at what Robbin is saying as a whole is idiotic, now we have people trying to find meaning in what there was none to begin with.
Its clear as day that what is said is that Sanji is the wings not wing since such a word does not exist in Japanese, the most important part is looking at the statement as a whole since in what Robin said she was not alluding or implying that there was another, her reaction and statement to Maria was that being trusted with something as important as saving the "wings" of the pirate king made her happy.

I just dont get from what Robin is saying does it now have to include Zoro since there was no implication nor even hidden meaning to Robin's statement of Sanji being the "wings"

jesus some people are just beyond help.

Last edited:
Oda in that SBS never said they were Luffy's wing please stop.

Oda said both Zoro and Sanji are Luffy's most trustworthy and valuable men who he depends on the most and will always have his back, now where there do you hear Oda talking about wings? or is it every time someone uses the phrase "have his back" they are talking about wings?
My dude the Japanese uses the same kanji for wings. Stephen just didn’t translate it

My dude the Japanese uses the same kanji for wings. Stephen just didn’t translate it
the kanji for both wings is the same as the kanji for both flanks, thats why its importand to undertand context!
you cant get meaning from what is said from 1 word, you get meaning of what is said from the statement!

in SBS vol.73 the same word is used but as reference for Zoro and Sanji being the 2 flanks i.e right and left hand of Luffy, in this case chp1020 the same word is used but its meaning is "wings", no where does it imply Zoro in any of this, now people are going back to SBS vol.73 and saying aha the same word was used forgetting it wasnt used to mean "wings" but rather it was used to refere to Zoro and Sanji is Luffy right and land hands.

Yeah and how is it different to what im saying?
The phrasing and context of the wording used is similar but different from how the world ryōyoku was used in vol.73, the fact is in 1020 Robin refers to Sanji as wing is because Sanji is the wings not one of, also the Japanese language does not have plurals so its always important to understand the meaning from context.

Some of these people are too hung up on one word and not the statement and what its contexts implies, just using the word wings and not looking at what Robbin is saying as a whole is idiotic, now we have people trying to find meaning in what there was none to begin with.
Its clear as day that what is said is that Sanji is the wings not wing since such a word does not exist in Japanese, the most important part is looking at the statement as a whole since in what Robin said she was not alluding or implying that there was another, her reaction and statement to Maria was that being trusted with something as important as saving the "wings" of the pirate king made her happy.

I just dont get from what Robin is saying does it now have to include Zoro since there was no implication nor even hidden meaning to Robin's statement of Sanji being the "wings"

jesus some people are just beyond help.
It must just be a coincidence that Oda uses the exact same word in chapter 1020 as volume 73 sbs . I guess the Japanese and Spanish readers must just be wrong then

the kanji for both wings is the same as the kanji for both flanks, thats why its importand to undertand context!
you cant get meaning from what i said from 1 word, you get meaning of what is said from the statement!

in SBS vol.73 the same word is used but as reference for Zoro and Sanji being the 2 flanks i.e right and left hand of Luffy, in this case chp1020 the same word is used but its meaning is "wings", no where does it imply Zoro in any of this, now people are going back to SBS vol.73 and saying aha the same word was used forgetting it wasnt used to mean "wings" but rather it was used to refere to Zoro and Sanji is Luffy right and land hands.
So it means flanks because… you say so?

The translation is wings dude chill out and get over it

So it means flanks because… you say so?

The translation is wings dude chill out and get over it
It is its meaning WTF!

yes the translation is chapter 1020 means wings but not in SBS vol.73 since the word means something different as its used different to how Oda used it now, is this really so hard to understand for you gosh.

Just accpt Oda said Sanji is the wings and move on, stop trying to bring in Zoro into this since Oda never called him wings

It is its meaning WTF!

yes the translation is chapter 1020 means wings but not in SBS vol.73 since the word means something different as its used different to how Oda used it now, is this really so hard to understand for you gosh.

Just accpt Oda said Sanji is the wings and move on, stop trying to bring in Zoro into this since Oda never called him wings
Oda uses wings to describe Sanji, uses same wording and context to describe Zoro and Sanji earlier and you think it’s different.

Just stop being delusional. Odas never referred to anyone as Luffys flanks or right hand or left hand.

At this point ignore the trolls.

Stephen himself acknowledged and said that everyone would think of Zoro and Sanji in this context. He explains the restrictions of VIZ with certain terms and how for the english translation it would have been more awkward to say "One of the Wings of the King of the Pirates", and that's why his is the only translation that doesn't overextend to accomodate people who can't piece it together.

sandman who already corrected Paul before in this very arc and Paul acknowledged his mistake back then as well is adamant about this and talked about it both during the spoilers and after the official release.

Spanish translation who can more easily write it up in spanish went the same route that Paul acknowledged and sandman promotes.

Every single japanese source says the same thing as sandman, and sandman has decades of history of providing reliable translations for one piece content.

It's not worth having this discussion anymore when it's all said and done, and the only source of disagreement, ends up disagreeing with those using his content to argue otherwise.

Those in denial are only prolonging the inevitable until this comes up again now that it's made it's way from the SBS into the actual manga :specialmeh:

Viz says plural, im going with Viz and manga

I have no interest in any additional response to someone who always responds the exact same way

Same boring retorts, you need new material
Dear
The translator of VIZ himself confirmed that the context of the word is used to refer to both Sanji and Zoro as the two wings, and the reason why he chose to translate it this way was for a pure technical reason and because he thought it should be focusing on Sanji in this moment

Dear
The translator of VIZ himself confirmed that the context of the word is used to refer to both Sanji and Zoro as the two wings, and the reason why he chose to translate it this way was for a pure technical reason and because he thought it should be focusing on Sanji in this moment
I still believe in the Monster Trio, even though the heirarchy is clearly Luffy, Zoro 2, Sanji 3 and not Zoro 2 Sanji 2A

Im choosing to focus this soley on Sanji, I dont see them as equal counterparts

In theory if we really want to take it out of proportion, everyone on the SHs is metaphorically a wing/ part of the wings for Luffy