Current Events Honest Question: Why don't people actually want a real 1v1 fight for Zoro?

Please read before responding, not directly answer the question in the title.

I ask this because its been weird to me to see fans of Zoro say that the feats performed by Zoro is enough outside of ZKK

Like go back to Thriller Bark for a second:

- Zoro fought Ryuuma for a chapter. It was an amazing portrayal of a "quick" swordsman fight that had constant back and forth where both swordsman tried to one up each other until the end.
- Zoro, like everyone else, fought Oars for nearly 10 chapters. Zoro was given additional displays of feats before this so adding even more to this was a treat (same with Sanji and Usopp)
- Then Oda did the unthinkable and gave Zoro a 1v1 fight against another Shichibukai for 2 chapters. Again, this fight had the same feel as Zoro vs Ryuuma in terms of duo type dance between two characters.

Here are examples of those moments:

Go back even further and you see this with him vs Mr 1 and Kaku

There's something about this hopefully exemplifies what I'm saying with Zoro. Conversely here is exactly what I mean when you apply the same idea to Luffy:

This is the shit i've always lived for in One Piece. I stress that others like Sanji, Chopper, Franky, etc get these moments and chances are they get them against the Executives this arc. I just wanted to show this comparison with Luffy and Zoro, the two fighting Kaido up until this chapter.

Now, compare to the Kaido fight with Luffy and Zoro. So far, nothing like this has happened before 1010. None of Zoro's portrayals above can be deemed as a true 1v1 moment. He tanked Hakai. He used Asura. Great moments for sure, but they last 1 double spread each. Zoro has struck Kaido multiple times before in great double spreads, but not to the same effect as to having his portrayed 1v1 battle against someone.

Now, compare to (finally) Luffy in 1010:

After 10 chapters, I finally got the same moment I was looking for in other arcs, at least with Luffy. Do you see why I fundamentally have an issue with Zoro doing what he did on the roof, only to get nothing between now and the supposed ZKK feat that people want?

After 530 chapters, Zoro still has gotten none of those moments from pre-TS, while Luffy now has had these moments 3 times since. This is not an argument of portrayal or "FEATS", its an argument of giving Zoro the respect he deserves to have more onscreen panel fights than he's gotten since post-TS started.

And before this turns into some accusation that this is a Zoro vs King thread bait, I'm actually more disappointed Oda didn't "portay" Zoro in the above ways AGAINST Kaido, not King. Now that he's effectively done up there (for now I will say), I "hope" he at least gets this level of intimate 1v1 portrayal against someone else that isn't just a walking Tank for single use moves.

And no, ZKK does not alleviate this desire. It still amounts to nothing of the sort happening for Zoro outside of arguably a bombastic moment of portrayal, because in the end all Zoro tried to do was literally cut Kaido. This is different in that with Mr 1, he tried to cut him, but fought him constantly for 2 chapters until he cut him. If Zoro went back to the roof and fought Kaido as Luffy is currently doing or how both have fought opponents in the past, then I WOULD be satisfied. Right now, I am not because all this has been chalked up to are feat moments that do not equate to personal combative fights (aka 1v1s)

Tldr: Zoro's only measurement of swordsmanship feats shouldn't be about his few moments above and ZKK (if it happens). Throwing constant attacks against a walking tank like Kaido (this goes for everyone up there prior to Luffy's CoC attacks this chapter) shouldn't be satisfying enough for Zoro fans on a fundamental level for combative moments in an arc that we've dealt with for over 100 chapters.

The key word here is "fluidity". Up until Luffy's CoC attacks, nothing about Kaido's fight has looked fluid at all. I would be disappointed if Zoro didn't those same moments against someone, Kaido OR King.

To those who see this thread in the coming weeks/months, I'm sorry in advance because chances are these pictures will be gone and it would be hard to explain my point without them. It literally uses the max picture count for the post

Edit: I guess I should start doing this:

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
The answer can look simplified but I think it's most probably the most correct:

1 on 1 is usually shown to be preferred by the majority of fans at least from my personal experience but as long as the chances Zoro can beat the enemy are consistent enough and at the same time as long as the enemy on the opposite flip of the medal doesn't look too weak.

1 on 1 vs King is therefore not well seen and I am one of them since 2019 funnily

5 v 2 on yonko is preferred

The answer can look simplified but I think it's most probably the most correct:

1 on 1 is usually shown to be preferred by the majority of fans at least from my personal experience but as long as the chances Zoro can beat the enemy are consistent enough and at the same time as long as the enemy on the opposite flip of the medal doesn't look too weak.

1 on 1 vs King is therefore not well seen and I am one of them since 2019 funnily

5 v 2 on yonko is preferred
Its about the fluidity of the fight. Luffy is now being portrayed in the exact way I would like Zoro to be portrayed in a coming fight. There is a dance going on between the characters in all of the examples I provided, EXCEPT for when Zoro attacks Kaido. We don't get Kaido effectively attacking and defending against Zoro anytime Zoro attacks. We get the repeated 1 shot, double spread attack, Kaido's reaction in pain, then Kaido turning around and doing something else, either not against Zoro or specifically at the end, hitting Zoro and Law in 1 hit after Asura.

This is my problem with being satisfied that and ZKK solely. It's not the same thing as we've gotten in the past with intimate fights. Compare this to how Luffy was shown at the end of 1010. He blocks the Kanabo, then goes in for 2 hits. There is a level of fluidity to that moment. Zoro has had plenty of these in the past. He has not had them since his fight with Kuma.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Its about the fluidity of the fight. Luffy is now being portrayed in the exact way I would like Zoro to be portrayed in a coming fight. There is a dance going on between the characters in all of the examples I provided, EXCEPT for when Zoro attacks Kaido. We don't get Kaido effectively attacking and defending against Zoro anytime Zoro attacks. We get the repeated 1 shot, double spread attack, Kaido's reaction in pain, then Kaido turning around and doing something else, either not against Zoro or specifically at the end, hitting Zoro and Law in 1 hit after Asura.

This is my problem with being satisfied that and ZKK solely. It's not the same thing as we've gotten in the past with intimate fights. Compare this to how Luffy was shown at the end of 1010. He blocks the Kanabo, then goes in for 2 hits. There is a level of fluidity to that moment. Zoro has had plenty of these in the past. He has not had them since his fight with Kuma.
? Kaido just attacked zoro got parried and blitz

It is not that people don’t want Zoro to have a 1v1 but that Zoro having a 1v1 with a lesser opponent after Kaido will feel underwhelming.

I don’t think a lot of people would have complain about Zoro having a 1v1 then fighting Kaido.

In TB he fought Ryuma before fighting Oars for example.
Read my post. Zoro also fights Kuma after fighting Oars lol.

And again, its not about Zoro vs King. This can be Zoro doing it against Kaido, but it just wasn't shown... you have 2 types of ZKK people:

- Those that expect Zoro to only kill Kaido
- Those that expect Zoro to fully 1v1 Kaido and also kill him.

This also can't imply a weakened Zoro having these moments against King. We've gotten to these points where we denounce or threat of a YC for a reason I can't quite literally explain, but that is besides the point. The thread isn't about this.

HA001

Read my post. Zoro also fights Kuma after fighting Oars lol.

And again, its not about Zoro vs King. This can be Zoro doing it against Kaido, but it just wasn't shown... you have 2 types of ZKK people:

- Those that expect Zoro to only kill Kaido
- Those that expect Zoro to fully 1v1 Kaido and also kill him.

This also can't imply a weakened Zoro having these moments against King. We've gotten to these points where we denounce or threat of a YC for a reason I can't quite literally explain, but that is besides the point. The thread isn't about this.
Yet you want a fucked up zoro go down an beat King. That denounces yc more than anything.

Yet you want a fucked up zoro go down an beat King. That denounces yc more than anything.
No, it actually supports Zoro being the monster you all want him to be. I've said high/extreme diff fight before.

Ironically, you use the same argument with Zoro literally killing Kaido on the same effective strength. Pick one, are we downplaying King or are we downplaying Kaido?

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
It's quite obvious. Lot of people are so obsessed over forum banter and power levels that they can't even enjoy something aesthetically pleasing even if it involves their favourite character because it would make it harder to run with certain narratives already built. Imagine your fave getting a sick fight and you're gonna cry about that possibility lmao.

I'm out here starving for a proper 1v1 with Zoro for ages and mans are praying it doesn't happen when we can finally get one.

I feel people here reading chapters thinking of users a scene applies to every turn. Couldn't be me. Y'all need to log off and just enjoy the manga.

HA001

No, it actually supports Zoro being the monster you all want him to be. I've said high/extreme diff fight before.

Ironically, you use the same argument with Zoro literally Kaido on the same effective strength. Pick one, are we downplaying King or are we downplaying Kaido?
Zoro already got feats on the roof better than beating King.
It only serves to be even more zoro wank at this point because zoro in this condition has no right to go beat King.

I agree with your sentiment. Zoro should get a good 1 v 1 fight. I don't believe in ZKK, but even if ZKK were to happen, it is not a 1 v 1 outcome, but rather an elaborately collective team-effort to take down the yonko.

That being said, in zoro's current condition, if he can pull off a 1 v 1 king, that would be epic.
Hell, even if he can pull of a 1 v 1 queen given what he been through, i am gonna settle with that