General & Others Oda Explains the Lack of One on One Fights + Future of Powerscaling Debates in One Piece

Very good job Akai, you are on fire lately

I fully agree with your opinion that Oda wont give a definite answer for topics like Shanks-Mihawk, Zoro-Law etc. Some things are better left unsaid. Oda is an intelligent man. He knows he wont please both sides of the fanbase with a definite answer on such polarizing topics.

The thing is PL is an integral part of the popularity of One Piece. Personally, OP adventures dont really interest me post-TS. The mysteries like One Piece, D clan, Imu, void century interest me more. But the thing I am looking forward most is to see the ceiling of the strawhats and as a relevant topic the actual level of yonko-admirals. Its not really surprising when Oda himself hypes the readers about battles,

"Hello. It’s Oda. Are you enjoying Jump Festa? I am also watching the One Piece Super Stage Event. It’s fun. Each year I visit Jump Festa and eat with the voice actors. One Piece will finally go to Wano next year! Some of you may remember I said this last year. I did think that Wano would start in 2017. I have some new information, I will introduce a legend lying dormant in the One Piece world. The strongest enemy the Straw Hats have encountered. It may be related to Whitebeard. The Marineford Arc will seem cute compared to what is coming."

Oda does care about consistency in PL to a certain extent and thats why he said,
"Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaido is just because Luffy’s punch is so strong."

But I am pretty sure Oda wont care about PL for the sake of plot. As you mentioned, there are so many characters that he cant give them proper panel time. This can be very misleading for some people. For example, if he has room for only one panel for a particular fight, people will conclude it was a low diff/one shot fight. Thats why we have to think about context and use our imagination in PL debates.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to show Oda's perspective on this. Because it seemed to me some powerscalers aren't reading One Piece for One Piece anymore. They're basically reading to see whether their own power level predictions come true or not and bash anything that doesn't serve that purpose.

So just wanted to highlight that there's nothing wrong with having fun with power level discussions, but let's keep it within the context of authorial intention.
So much this.
It's sad, but that's the reality. We just have to look at the threads on WG.
95% about Powe scaling fights. Even in the spoiler or chapter threads you won't find a normal discussion about the plot anymore. It's all about powers scaling, baiting others and bringing a toxic climate to this forum.

So much this.
It's sad, but that's the reality. We just have to look at the threads on WG.
95% about Powe scaling fights. Even in the spoiler or chapter threads you won't find a normal discussion about the plot anymore. It's all about powers scaling, baiting others and bringing a toxic climate to this forum.
That is how you know how much of a failure post timeskip One Piece has been. How much it worse it is from Pre Timeskip.

When the characters are ALL Gags, made worse than they were pre timeskip, the worst culprits of this are ( Sanji, Luffy and Chopper), to a lesser extent( Nami, Robin and Zoro), the only people to improve in the Strawhats are brook, and Ussop. Jinbei stays the same.

S

Shura

That is how you know how much of a failure post timeskip One Piece has been. How much it worse it is from Pre Timeskip.

When the characters are ALL Gags, made worse than they were pre timeskip, the worst culprits of this are ( Sanji, Luffy and Chopper), to a lesser extent( Nami, Robin and Zoro), the only people to improve in the Strawhats are brook, and Ussop. Jinbei stays the same.
:kaidowhat::lawsigh:

the best example for this is Crocodile while he lost to pre-ts base Luffy he could clash with Doflamingo and Hawkeyes also for example Jozu who was easily defeated by one admiral while Jack on the other hand challenged the fleet with 2 admirals and one high vice admiral and sank two ships while protecting his own ship

the best example for this is Crocodile while he lost to pre-ts base Luffy he could clash with Doflamingo and Hawkeyes also for example Jozu who was easily defeated by one admiral while Jack on the other hand challenged the fleet with 2 admirals and one high vice admiral and sank two ships while protecting his own ship
Luffy was as strong as Yonko Commanders Pre timeskip, he leveled a city block in Alabasta, lifted a heavy golden bell, defeated Enel all whole in Base form.

To a lesser extent using Gear 2 and Gear 3rd to destroy things with ease WTHOUT using haki.

Now, he needs Gears and Haki to do the same feats he was pulling off without these things.

Luffy was as strong as Yonko Commanders Pre timeskip, he leveled a city block in Alabasta, lifted a heavy golden bell, defeated Enel all whole in Base form.

To a lesser extent using Gear 2 and Gear 3rd to destroy things with ease WTHOUT using haki.

Now, he needs Gears and Haki to do the same feats he was pulling off without these things.
To bad that yc2 pica destroys yc4 luffy(pre timeskip)

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Very good job Akai, you are on fire lately

I fully agree with your opinion that Oda wont give a definite answer for topics like Shanks-Mihawk, Zoro-Law etc. Some things are better left unsaid. Oda is an intelligent man. He knows he wont please both sides of the fanbase with a definite answer on such polarizing topics.

The thing is PL is an integral part of the popularity of One Piece. Personally, OP adventures dont really interest me post-TS. The mysteries like One Piece, D clan, Imu, void century interest me more. But the thing I am looking forward most is to see the ceiling of the strawhats and as a relevant topic the actual level of yonko-admirals. Its not really surprising when Oda himself hypes the readers about battles,

"Hello. It’s Oda. Are you enjoying Jump Festa? I am also watching the One Piece Super Stage Event. It’s fun. Each year I visit Jump Festa and eat with the voice actors. One Piece will finally go to Wano next year! Some of you may remember I said this last year. I did think that Wano would start in 2017. I have some new information, I will introduce a legend lying dormant in the One Piece world. The strongest enemy the Straw Hats have encountered. It may be related to Whitebeard. The Marineford Arc will seem cute compared to what is coming."

Oda does care about consistency in PL to a certain extent and thats why he said,
"Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaido is just because Luffy’s punch is so strong."

But I am pretty sure Oda wont care about PL for the sake of plot. As you mentioned, there are so many characters that he cant give them proper panel time. This can be very misleading for some people. For example, if he has room for only one panel for a particular fight, people will conclude it was a low diff/one shot fight. Thats why we have to think about context and use our imagination in PL debates.
Agreed, to finish the story within his remaining mangaka lifespan, the battle scenes will continue to be short and unsatisfying from a powerscalers' perspective.

As for "The Marineford Arc will seem cute" I feel Oda is comfortable making that statement because he knows it'll be a straight up war. He's already spent so much time to weave all the characters/plot threads from Punk Hazard to culminate at the Onigashima war while lessening the focus on drawing long fights. So the scenes will be combat heavy. But looking at how many players are involved, it'll be skirmish/team fight style fights instead of multiple longer one vs one fights.

one thing people need to know about "writer point of view about power level" is

the writer don't give a two fuck about power level and he should not

- the writer should care about making an interesting story
- the story can be interesting by the RESULT small and big fight
- he never make some one untouchable to weaker simply cause they are too strong

the only and THE ONLY time the writer should CARE for a power level topic is when people are having a long term one Vs one or a death battel

and that's why I said many times before we should look at some one power level with their HIGHEST FEATS cause plot can simply give some one hype and dehype for plot reasons or simply give some one plot armor or ...

but CLEAR POWER LEVEL STATEMENTS and the full class fights are the only thing that are in story after writer really giving a fuck about power levels and take a moment to tell us his point of view about some one power level

That doesnt make him YC level also that it no my claim

Pre ts Luffy overpowered croc while post ts luffy with haki and gears could barley hurt Doflamingo yet the same croc clashed easilywith Doflamingo huge plot and logic error from Oda

No, the only "failures" are the completely immature "fans". Especially the kind of "fans" that came to One Piece after Naruto ended.

I've been reading OP since the time of the Alabasta arc. Since then the quality has always been superb. Some things have been a bit slow-paced post-timeskip, but overall it's still great. It has always been about the story and not about some bs powerscaling aka dick-measuring contest for teens.

Guys complaining today wouldn't have lasted halfway through the East Blue saga or the Skypiea saga back in the day.