Best Villain Tournament Round 1 Bracket 1

WHO WINS EACH FIGHT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Addressed at no one in particular, on why Makima is a better villain than Dio.

Rarity
Makima's concept as a villain is while not entirely original, is a lot rarer than the kind of generic and narcissistic evil Dio represents. Makima is not a cartoon villain, but an actual nuanced character with her own quirks. She's someone that you don't just love to hate, but can actually love.

I've searched hard, and I've yet to find a character that fits her exact archetype.

Relatable
Makima is a character that while misguided in important and crucial ways is still relatable. She's someone whose actions you understand and whose goals and motivations you can sympathiser with. More than that, shes a character that you might at times root for. Not just because of her evil charisma (and she's plenty charismatic), but because she can actually present a compelling narrative.

When she lays out her true goals and ambitions:

And the reasons for the world she wants to create is revealed:

They are something I can find relatable.

Presence
Makima hard carried Chainsaw Man, and it simply wouldn't have been what it is without her. She's the only reason I started the manga, and she's what kept it from being another generic horror comedy shounen.

Her presence and actions granted extra depth to the series, and overcoming her represented the most defining character conflict of the protagonist.

Expressiveness

As a villain, Makima emotes especially strongly. She's one of the few characters out there that can really make you feel.

When she tells Denji to remember her:

When she threatens the Yakuza:

Her refutation of their philosophy of a necessary evil and her assertion of dominance gives you chills.

When she summons herself from a horde of rats:

There is that same awe inspiring dread.

The implication that she's always there, always listening:

When Darkness beckons her:

Just who is she that one of the primal fear devils bid her come?

Her big reveal:

The fear of Makima is the history of humanity.

Conclusions
Makima is one of the all time best villains to grace the Shounen space.

She inspires awe, terror, worship, dread, love and respect. She's a force of nature and swallows you up in the storm of her whims. Her presence is an ever present precept that guides the broader narrative of the Chainsaw Man series.

As a villain, she's in a completely different class from the likes of Dio.

Last edited:

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Mommy Fubuki!
โ€Ž
Addressed at no one in particular, on why Makima is a better villain than Dio.

Rarity
Makima's concept as a villain is while not entirely original, is a lot rarer than the kind of generic and narcissistic evil Dio represents. Makima is not a cartoon villain, but an actual nuanced character with her own quirks. She's someone that you don't just love to hate, but can actually love.

I've searched hard, and I've yet to find a character that fits her exact archetype.

Relatable
Makima is a character that while misguided in important and crucial ways is still relatable. She's someone whose actions you understand and whose goals and motivations you can sympathiser with. More than that, shes a character that you might at times root for. Not just because of her evil charisma (and she's plenty charismatic), but because she can actually present a compelling narrative.

When she lays out her true goals and ambitions:

And the reasons for the world she wants to create is revealed:

They are something I can find relatable.

Presence
Makima hard carried Chainsaw Man, and it simply wouldn't have been what it is without her. She's the only reason I started the manga, and she's what kept it from being another generic horror comedy shounen.

Her presence and actions granted extra depth to the series, and overcoming her represented the most defining character conflict of the protagonist.

Expressiveness

As a villain, Makima emotes especially strongly. She's one of the few characters out there that can really make you feel.

When she tells Denji to remember her:

When she threatens the Yakuza:

Her refutation of their philosophy of a necessary evil and her assertion of dominance gives you chills.

When she summons herself from a horde of rats:

There is that same awe inspiring dread.

The implication that she's always there, always listening:

When Darkness beckons her:

Just who is she that one of the primal fear devils bid her come?

Her big reveal:

The fear of Makima is the history of humanity.

Conclusions
Makima is one of the all time best villains to grace the Shounen space.

She inspires awe, terror, worship, dread, love and respect. She's a force of nature and swallows you up in the storm of her whims. Her presence is an ever present precept that guides the broader narrative of the Chainsaw Man series.

As a villain, she's in a completely different class from the likes of Dio.
Man really went in and wrote essay about Makima Lmao.:usoprice:

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Man really went in and wrote essay about Makima Lmao.:usoprice:
It's criminal that folks like @Shuyaku are acting like Dio is somehow a better villain than Makima by virtue of being a "classic".
:tchpepe:

Makima may well be the greatest villain to ever grace the Shounen genre.

She's in a class far above the likes of Dio, Aizen, Yhwach, Madara, Pain, Blackbeard, Sakazuki, Zeref, Acnologia, etc.

S

Shuyaku

It's criminal that folks like @Shuyaku are acting like Dio is somehow a better villain than Makima by virtue of being a "classic".
I am not, refer to the post above. But that's hypocritical anyway, you don't even know anything about Dio, since when did you get into Jojo ? Your analysis reeks of bias, there were no comparisons even being made, just rambling about why you think she's great.

:tchpepe:

Makima may well be the greatest villain to ever grace the Shounen genre.

She's in a class far above the likes of Dio, Aizen, Yhwach, Madara, Pain, Blackbeard, Sakazuki, Zeref, Acnologia, etc.
Dio is just better. Idk how heโ€™s narcissistic, he worked for his shit and he evolved. He acknowledged his flaws and grew from them. I think thatโ€™s quite an admirable trait

Cinera

โ€Ž
Do you even know shit about Dio ?

My post was only half-serious lol. I don't even know what show she is from. But let's admit there's lots of bias at play in these.
Just seeing this message. I watched more than half of the first season of Jojo's, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with Dio. I actually liked him as a villain.

I'm not sure where exactly I stopped (it was years ago), but I think Hamon(?) was a thing where I stopped.

Also Dio(?) was a mask or something?

I just think Makima is a much better villain than him in nearly all aspects.

I am not, refer to the post above. But that's hypocritical anyway, you don't even know anything about Dio, since when did you get into Jojo ? Your analysis reeks of bias, there were no comparisons even being made, just rambling about why you think she's great.
Not exactly true. I tried the Jojo Anime some years back, but didn't stick with it.

Cinera

โ€Ž
specifically the expressiveness part, being weird =/= interesting.
I wouldn't categorise Makima as weird. It was a collection of different scenes involving her that invoked a variety of different strong emotions in the reader.

Though it seems like I failed in conveying that.

Have you read Chainsaw Man?

Idk how heโ€™s narcissistic, he worked for his shit and he evolved. He acknowledged his flaws and grew from them. I think thatโ€™s quite an admirable trait
Well, I didn't get far in Jojo's, so maybe Dio had more character development beyond where I stopped.

I wouldn't categorise Makima as weird. It was a collection of different scenes involving her that invoked a variety of different strong emotions in the reader.

Though it seems like I failed in conveying that.

Have you read Chainsaw Man?

Well, I didn't get far in Jojo's, so maybe Dio had more character development beyond where I stopped.
I didnโ€™t read CSM, any story that has an over excessive amount of simps for a character(s) is a bad sign. Like Rem/Emilia for ReZero who ended up being dry boring ass characters only because it was catered to a certain demographic of fanboys/simps.

S

Shuyaku

Like Rem/Emilia for ReZero who ended up being dry boring ass characters only because it was catered to a certain demographic of fanboys/simps.
Cinera couldn't make it more obvious how biased he is lmfao. There's nothing even wrong with that, but this holier than thou shit "Uhh she's the best ever" when he doesn't even fully know the villain he's comparing her to is annoying.

Cinera

โ€Ž
Still not admitting he's biased. Can we drop the act that this tournament is some kind of objective take on things ?

I'm not sure what you want me to admit here.

There's no objective take on which character you think fulfils a role better. Everyone has opinions on it, and some opinions are more popular than others.

I like Makima more than Dio and know more about Makima than Dio.

I don't think that's special though. Most participants here like one character more than an other and are more knowledgeable on particular characters.

If I'm "biased" then so is everyone participating.
:kayneshrug:

S

Shuyaku

I like Makima more than Dio and know more about Makima than Dio.
Doesn't look like a subjective take to me.

Plus you fault me for having a preference lmfao.

Cinera couldn't make it more obvious how biased he is lmfao. There's nothing even wrong with that, but this holier than thou shit "Uhh she's the best ever" when he doesn't even fully know the villain he's comparing her to is annoying.
In six months the simps move on to the next โ€œwaifuโ€. Meanwhile Villains like Dio will stay timeless. Like you saidโ€ฆ nothing wrong with liking these โ€œwaifusโ€, but at the cost of downplaying Solid villains is why I hate the anime community sometimes. Just riddled with simp ass fanboys
:pepeke:

Cinera

โ€Ž
I didnโ€™t read CSM, any story that has an over excessive amount of simps for a character(s) is a bad sign. Like Rem/Emilia for ReZero who ended up being dry boring ass characters only because it was catered to a certain demographic of fanboys/simps.
Well you're wrong about CSM. CSM is a great manga and you should try it.

I read and watched Re:Zero, and wouldn't say either of are analogous to Makima.

In the CSM fandom she's the most hated character.

Some people like her as well, but most of the fandom hates her.

Plus you fault me for having a preference lmfao.
Yeah, I was ticked of by your remark.

In six months the simps move on to the next โ€œwaifuโ€. Meanwhile Villains like Dio will stay timeless. Like you saidโ€ฆ nothing wrong with liking these โ€œwaifusโ€, but at the cost of downplaying Solid villains is why I hate the anime community sometimes. Just riddled with simp ass fanboys
:pepeke:
This is just an ignorant take. You know nothing of Makima and your entire take here is baseless.

Admittedly, I don't know Dio very well, but I have experienced him as primary antagonist for over a dozen episodes. I witnessed the death of the original Jojo. I have some basis for having an opinion on Dio.

You're literally speaking out of your ass and have no idea what you're talking about.