General & Others Is Oda the best Japanese writer out there?

I just want somebody to give him the credit he deserve, here on reddit they are all dumbasses , they talk about powerlevels and shit like that , no one talks about the real one piece that oda built and tied in 25 years
Well then you made an utterly colossal error in judgement considering that;

I) Power level discussions are a Worst Gen topic staple. It would not be an exaggeration to say that a good chunk of the users here are more invested in fights and feats than they are in any actual story shenanigans.

II) Worst Gen is probably the forum with the highest ratio of Oda critics of any forum. There is even an Oda Critic's Club. I doubt you will find that on Reddit.

If you came here expecting an echo chamber of endless Oda praise then you came to the wrong online neighborhood.

Wait wait , the most important character in HxH ( meruem ) is copied from cell db but still one one of the best villains ever , just like dofflamingo , so really you are saying rubbish

In case Meruem the writer has taken inspiration from Cell, like I've said, there's nothing wrong in taking inspirations from other stories. In case of Oda he just straight up copied existing characters with their personalities–also, coping one character isn't critical, but coping half of your universe is another thing. Btw, I'm not saying Oda is a bad writer, I'm just saying that he isn't the best in Japan.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong in taking inspirations from other stories, we all take inspirations from cultural phenomenon, every writer does. But in case of Oda, he just copies already existing characters and plot devices from other sources, and to suggest that Oda is the best Japanese writer...
:mihugh:
Dude, the ego behind that statement.
To be fair, assuring that Oda is the best Japanese writer is something that someone can't even begin to evaluate without speaking fluent Japanese, so indeed is quite an egocentric statement.

And as you said, you can take inspiration from other stories, from popular culture, from historical events... and work them creatively, but sometimes it feels (and it factually is, too) like Oda just inserting other things within his universe with minimal work on his part.

And as you said, you can take inspiration from other stories, from popular culture, from historical events... and work them creatively, but sometimes it feels (and it factually is, too) like Oda just inserting other things within his universe with minimal work on his part.
That's called lazy writing. When the author has zero respect for his fans and the loyalty that they show towards him.

World building/character interactions he's still one of the best imo, I think most people can agree.

Plot ......is really subjective though lol, especially here.

Action is middle tier. There are clearly manga that do it worse, just there are those that do it way better. But visual clarity with fighting has been a big reason I love One Piece's action scenes, even if it's mostly punches and slashes. Most powers are explained well, haki is not.

So just like Wano was supposed to be but this time for real because you said so?
yes ... cause I said so ... what more you can possibly want?
Wano was hyped by Oda
Post-Wano is hyped by Me

who do you think understand this plot better ...

God-King Shanks and Dark-Lord Teach will bring fire to the plot once more and lead the way to biggest arc ever

I truly can't even understand those who can't see this obvious future

I dare to say YES even though he need a long break now to get his creativity again.
I've read some article years ago which they included two of Japanese mangaka in Genius Japanese list which consist of Genius Japanese from any fields. If Japanese acknowledged him then what can I say?

There's nothing wrong in taking inspirations from other stories, we all take inspirations from cultural phenomenon, every writer does. But in case of Oda, he just copies already existing characters and plot devices from other sources, and to suggest that Oda is the best Japanese writer...
:mihugh:
Dude, the ego behind that statement.

In case Meruem the writer has taken inspiration from Cell, like I've said, there's nothing wrong in taking inspirations from other stories. In case of Oda he just straight up copied existing characters with their personalities–also, coping one character isn't critical, but coping half of your universe is another thing. Btw, I'm not saying Oda is a bad writer, I'm just saying that he isn't the best in Japan.
That’s not true , you cant prove that oda copies their personalities because he didn’t , yes he copies the face designs or even , but really i dont care , i just care for character building and things like that , if you want empty characters with cool designs and cool haircuts then watch naruto

World building/character interactions he's still one of the best imo, I think most people can agree.

Plot ......is really subjective though lol, especially here.

Action is middle tier. There are clearly manga that do it worse, just there are those that do it way better. But visual clarity with fighting has been a big reason I love One Piece's action scenes, even if it's mostly punches and slashes. Most powers are explained well, haki is not.
Haki is explained very well indeed
Post automatically merged:

The Title of the thread should be "Is he one of the best writer out here" not the best :lusalty:
Surely he is one of the the best , the conflict is about being the best or just one of the best
Post automatically merged:

The same author who made Kinemon “die” four times in one arc? Hell. fucking. no.
What about kite and gon from HxH they died and resurrected , so togashi is a bad writer ?

Shanks will be off-screened
then remine me to laugh at you in next arc. I can't keep track of all the Shanks haters who Oda humiliate each time
90% of Zoro wankers got fuck for saying CoC is fodder control
all other Shanks haters like you will get fuck once more

enjoy wano while you can ... this is as best as it can get for you lot
Shanks hype and one piece plot gonna fuck haters soon enough once more :hihihi:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
introducing a ton of secondary characters with no evident purpose
Who do you remember having any bearing on the plot in Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, or WCI that wasn’t one of the main characters in any arc? The wiki is stuffed with names none of us care about, many of whom took focus away from characters we actually like, and many more of whom ARE important to the overall plot but have only been seen in short spurts to keep the intrigue alive.
manufacturing tension by dragging several arcs out way longer than necessary instead of letting the story itself drive the drama
I’ve said more than a dozen times on this website that Dressrosa, WCI, and now Wano could all have accomplished the same things they did in 20 fewer chapters apiece; the Birdcage bullshit could have been wrapped up sooner, Linlin could have chased them for two or three chapters instead of ten, and you’re kidding yourself if you think this raid isn’t taking far longer than necessary.
cutting corners by removing a lot of what made the first half of OP such an endearing, appealing product in the first place
What happened to the light moments between the SHP? They’ve barely been together as a group since Punk Hazard, it blows not seeing all the characters we’ve come to love in the same place, joking around like they did in the first half of the series. All the fights are getting offpaneled, they don’t even get to breathe and develop because the author is more insistent on sticking to this five year plan for the end than actually showing the battles that drew a lot of people here in the first place.

@Manoomar2000 If you have the tiny balls to push me for examples after this, I’m just gonna keep quoting this post.