General & Others Oda Doesn't Have a Power Scaling

The main problem within the powerscaling of them community is, that pretty much everything always at first gets treated as a pure reference to the character's physical strength. Like all sorts of abilities and stuff that act independently of physical strength, cause people have no patience/are dumb as fuck, I dunno
The fandom doesn't seem to care about Stats at all honestly.

At the end of the day I'd say people who are so obsessed with power levels don't have appreciation for writing, they only see this as a videogame; I can assure you that. So sadly your statement, which I agree with, will be ignored by them.
one piece fandom care about power level just as much as Marvel fans or something
everything should be a dick measuring game ...

without a doubt I've been part of this toxic game myself
but if Oda create a satisfying moment he can do what ever the fuck with power level.

just like Shanks losing an arm. that NEVER upset me cause it worth it

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
no respectable writer should care too much about power level
what matters the most is plot and nothing else

if Oda fuck up power level to create an epic and great moment ... I can't give less of a fuck, neither should you ...
I've been aware for a long time that OP isn't power level driven. One of the reasons people get so heated is because they're trying too hard to make sense of the scaling when there's not much thought to be had.

Oda only cares about his story telling and themes. Power scaling is just a story tool. It's the main reason the side characters take so much spot light as they are necessary for the themes despite being uninteresting for the most part.

Who cares fights, more Tama please
Tama is mandatory for that loyalty theme in Wano lol.

I've been aware for a long time that OP isn't power level driven. One of the reasons people get so heated is because they're trying too hard to make sense of the scaling when there's not much thought to be had.

Oda only cares about his story telling and themes. Power scaling is just a story tool. It's the main reason the side characters take so much spot light as they are necessary for the themes despite being uninteresting for the most part.

Who really cares for Tama? Toko was sadder background

I think people care about defeating "the other side"
one piece is like a football match, but teams never fight but fans do

Sure…

You’re criticizing my comment stating that I do not understand the author yet theres no tangible way of actual measuring if either of us is right or wrong because Oda himself doesn’t give a fuck. Stop acting like you’re smart when you’re not, it shows
What is "acting smart"?

Of course there's no "tangible" measure. When is that ever a thing? Why would you expect it to be? All Oda can do is justify why an action happens and hope people understand that his purpose is blurring the line between humor and action, like when it comes to Luffy tickling Buggy, shooting giant water bubbles from his mouth, or being immune to electricity. By all means show me, make sense of your complaint with an example of a frequent inconsistency.
no respectable writer should care too much about power level
what matters the most is plot and nothing else

if Oda fuck up power level to create an epic and great moment ... I can't give less of a fuck, neither should you ...
Exactly.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I think people care about defeating "the other side"
one piece is like a football match, but teams never fight but fans do
More so the obsession with being right. Many people cant make up their minds on how plot affects the story and constantly alters their own power scaling opinions so that their conclusions don't have to change.

one piece fandom care about power level just as much as Marvel fans or something
everything should be a dick measuring game ...

without a doubt I've been part of this toxic game myself
but if Oda create a satisfying moment he can do what ever the fuck with power level.

just like Shanks losing an arm. that NEVER upset me cause it worth it
I still recall a conference that was titled "Superman versus Goku" in which it was discussed what each character represents to their countries, similarities and differences, cultural backgrounds for their concepts... and so on. By the time it was finished and final questions were allowed, a guy just raised his hand and asked:

"'Superman versus Goku', so who would win in a battle?".

Anytime I read those users obsessed with power levels I go back to that adult who had the nerve to ask about Superman fighting Goku to a group of experts who just spent around an hour sharing academical knowledge on popular culture, as he was given knowledge but couldn't help but focus on what cartoon alien for teens would win.

I still recall a conference that was titled "Superman versus Goku" in which it was discussed what each character represents to their countries, similarities and differences, cultural backgrounds for their concepts... and so on. By the time it was finished and final questions were allowed, a guy just raised his hand and asked:
I don't understand the Superman Vs Goku culturally stuff. Astro Boy is the Superman of the East, Not Goku

More so the obsession with being right. Many people cant make up their minds on how plot affects the story and constantly alters their own power scaling opinions so that their conclusions don't have to change.
I'm to blamed as fuck so I have no room for judgement ... but I try to be better :)

your on point tho

Once again, what are you trying to say? Power scaling has nothing on the plot as Oda prioritizes story telling above all. Kidd and Law almost succeeded in beating BM by throwing her into the ocean aka plot. BM was saved because Prometheus got to her in the nick of time aka plot.

So yes, anybody can defeat anybody with the right circumstances aka plot. It seems like you're thinking pure power levels in saying Chopper didn't beat Queen 1v1 or something?
You said Powerscaling shouldn't exist. So Chopper should beat Queen and i can push Mike tyson off of something doesn't mean i can beat him. The Homies is BM ability. Just like Kaido ability is to fly. Prometheus is her ability you 🤡 which a 3rd person occupied in Zoro which you failed to mention. Thats like sayimg somebody pushes Kaido and plot saved him cause he can fly. You sound stupid.
Post automatically merged:

Why did Nami get destroyed by Ulti and needed saving multiple times. No powerscaling

I said this when rooftop battle was going on and i will say it again!One Piece is not about battles and power scaling,what make this Manga unique is it's world building,humour,mysteries,fan service(nami boobs) and crazy amount of detail and foreshadowing that makes us all read this on a weekly basis and have tremendous fun speculating what is going to happen next!One piece's best trait is being an unpredictable manga with tons and tons of lore,drama,action and humor!
Powerscaling does exist,but it is not the strongest point of one piece and really it doesn't need to be!The manga has caught our curiosity for over 20 years just because we want to know what is the one piece and how Luffy is going to become the pirate king and how other straw hats will achieve their dreams!One Piece is great because Oda created a verse that will be making money with spin offs and movies long after the manga is over!

As the title says, Oda just doesn't have a power scaling. I can go as far as to say Oda's power scaling is very vague by design as implied by how he handles titles:

WB was the World's Strongest Man yet he had an equal in Roger, and was introduced as sick and passed his prime making his full power completely unknown.

Mihawk is the World's Strongest Swordsman yet he has unfinished business with Shanks and his title alone doesn't match his on screen feats.

Kaido is the world's current #1 yet its purposely presented as just a rumor.

Hell, the closest Oda ever came to establishing actual power levels is when BM took out Queen, and even the level gap is vague and unknown.

Another time Oda came close to establishing an actual power scaling is with the Dokuri system and of course, he makes it vague.

That was a quick example of vague and contradictory portrayal so let's look some quick examples of vague and inconsistent feats.

INCONSISTENCIES(please note that the examples below don't necessarily reflect my views. Power scaling opinions are extremly diverse for a reason)

Ace and Jinbe could fight for 5 days.

Jack could fight the minks for 5 days

Akainu and Aokiji fought for 10 days

Oden and Kaido? Fight only lasts less than a day and Kaido almost gets one shotted. That's unlike anything that's ever happened in the series before.

Supernova and Kaido
Kaido no soled Boundman, emphasizing his durability

The Scabbard managed to stab Kaido with ACOA, making the latter scream in pain. Oda brought attention to this accomplishment by having fodder say this:

On the roof, Kidd and Law managed to make Kaido scream like a banshee with a slam and rocks respectively....no haki either....

Side Note: Killer could hurt him too

Kaido could one shot boundman

Zoro and Law could take the same move without losing consciousness, with Law still being able to fight

Kinemon could take multiple hits to the head and stay conscious

Big Mom without using haki could punch out Queen who is an ancient zoan.

Kidd, a regular guy, could no sell BM's punch

Zoro could one shot Killer
[Image]

But Killer can take attacks from top tiers no problem

Bonus: don't even want to talk much about Luffy going from being barely able to dodge Base Kaido and gets one shot to being able to take multiple hits from Hybrid Kaido and speed blitzing him while in Base.

Quick Note

THE POWER ESCALATION AND POWER CREEP

Power escalation is obviously where the limits of what characters are capable of increases further and further as a series continues.
°Example 1: each new DBZ villain being much stronger than the last to create a sense of threat.
°Example 2: Destroying a mountain in Dragon Ball was an insane feat of strength. Currently we have beings who can erase entire universes with the flick of a finger.

Power creep is when characters suddenly gain powers or abilities to keep up with ongoing escalation in a series.
°Example: DBZ Piccolo fusing with Kami in the Cell Saga to gain an absurd power boost.

How does Escalation and Creep affect One Piece?

During the East Blue saga, smashing rock and denting steel was seen as legendary.

And Mihawk was introduced in chapter 50 as the strongest swordsman. What was used to portray him as the strongest? HE COULD!!.....deflect bullets and cut a ship....

Quick Note

Mihawk then sweats because of East Blue Zoro's attack. By today's standards, Zoro shouldn't have gotten any such reaction.

We see Zoro get much stronger throughout preskip and fast forward to chapter 560, Mihawk goes from cutting ships to cutting an iceberg as WSS portrayal, an obvious case of power escalation

Quick Note

Lets not onto Luffy. Preskip Luffy could be a threat to "high tiers" like BB and Magellan.

The same BB who could do this:
And the same Magellan who had Jinbe and Crocodile not wanting to mess with him.

Preskip Luffy was also no match for a pacifista and needed his entire crew to barely win, aka Pacifista>Yami Teach and Magellan?

Postskip Luffy became so powerful that he can EASILY one shot a Pacifista.

Zoro and Sanji could do the same

Postskip Luffy(G23) should be solid "high tier" right? Nope...he was helpless against them instead:

Even Luffy's power up wasn't enough

So is Magellan weak by postskip standards? Is Jinbe weak? But Jinbe had an even scuffle with postskip Luffy and Jinbe ran away from Magellan. BB? Preskip Luffy sent him flying but Postskip Luffy(at the start of the timeskip) is still portrayed weaker than Ace who lost to BB....just a power creep and nothing else. Power escalation leads to power creeps.

EMPTY PORTRAYAL AND BUILD UP

The full power of the Monster Trio is completely unknown at the start of time skip and we get to Punk Hazard. We're introduced to completely new characters and reintroduced to old ones.

°Smoker, who's full power is completely unknown, is used as a hype tool for Law who's full power is also unknown.
°Luffy who's full power is unknown is used as a hype tool for Caesar and Monet who's full power is also unknown.
°Sanji who's full power is unknown is used a hype tool for Vergo who's full power is also unknown.

Speaking of Sanji, what about the Vinsmokes? Was it hard to scale them at first? Let's see why.

Sanji's full power was still unknown by the time WCI came around and he dent new character Yonji's face. We are told that its impressive but since we have no idea how strong either character is exactly, we have no idea where they stand on the power hierarchy.

New character Judge then has a circumstantial scuffle with Sanji which leaves Judge a completely unknown factor strength wise just like Yonji.

Remember new character Jack going over the new characters the dukes to show how impressive they are even though we have no clue how strong they are? It continued with Wano with new character Ashura Doji going over Jack. Once again, Jack's full power is unknown and was in base, leaving Ashura Doji as another wild card like many others.

40 image limit really nerfed what I wanted to say but there you have it. Vague portrayal+Inconsistent feats+ constantly escalation and power creeps? Its no wonder One Piece has the most divsere power scaling opinions I've ever seen. I fully expect Kaido and BM's feats to look like nothing later on due to constant escalation. More Franky vs Sasaki anyone?

Powerlevel-wise, Oda wants to hype everyone relevant, so he skews those tiers over and over again.

I agree that he has a bad habit of being too vague, but he has some power-scaling in his mind, it can't otherwise, he for sure knows the difference between a Yonko and a commander lmao.

H

Herrera95

What is your point? Oda is inconsistent, we already know that. And to people saying "plot > scalling" scalling is also plot, One Piece is a Shounen too bad for you so fights and power scalling are important. And Oda is as inconsistent in "plot" as he is in "power scalling". Not like those things should be different.