General & Others Is Oda the best Japanese writer out there?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Don’t know if this has really been articulated yet and I do not care to scroll through the pages of this thread to check, but if this distinction hasn’t been made yet, it needs to be - Oda is/was a much, MUCH better storyteller than he is/was a writer. He really is great at world building, and his character development was top notch at points, but tying everything together in a way that not only makes sense narratively but is acceptable within the paramters he’s set for the audience over the years is definitely a weakness for him now.

I love One Piece, but there's too many things that, objectively speaking, are not good writing.
Examples:

1) Big Mom Amnesia, amnesia is always lazy writing - same with Sabo
2) Illogical reaction from Bariete (the Monkey Mink) when the samurai arrived at Zou
3) Luffy/Zoro/Sanji/Chopper powerups in Enies Lobby - out of nowhere

Oda is more of a "the ends justify the means" type of writer in a few instances. The payoff is mostly great, but the road to get there isn't always on par. Which is fine for me, I think One Piece is meant to stimulate the heart and emotions more than the brain, so it is very fitting.

But still, 90 percent of the "criticism" I'm reading on this forum is very subjective, blown out of proportion or given way too early.

I love One Piece, but there's too many things that, objectively speaking, are not good writing.
Examples:

1) Big Mom Amnesia, amnesia is always lazy writing - same with Sabo
2) Illogical reaction from Bariete (the Monkey Mink) when the samurai arrived at Zou
3) Luffy/Zoro/Sanji/Chopper powerups in Enies Lobby - out of nowhere

Oda is more of a "the ends justify the means" type of writer in a few instances. The payoff is mostly great, but the road to get there isn't always on par. Which is fine for me, I think One Piece is meant to stimulate the heart and emotions more than the brain, so it is very fitting.

But still, 90 percent of the "criticism" I'm reading on this forum is very subjective, blown out of proportion or given way too early.
I will answer the third point because you are absolutely wrong on it , for gear second , luffy just tried this technique and he didnt masterd it , it is like using a new sword , you can use the sharp end to kill but you cant master it without training , the same happened in gear second , he used his fruit to pump blood , it was uncompleted , for zoro it wasnt a powerup , it was just a powerful technique , amd for chopper , we already saw crocodile awaken his fruit ,and the rumble ball is steroids , so it makes sense that overdose can make him awaken his fruit .
See ? I used my mind so I understand
What makes one piece different is that it stimulate the emotions and the brain at the same level , believe me , if you didn’t use your brain to understand every single detail in one piece , you will lose half of the experience.
Many great meanings in one pIece in direct , if you didnt concentrate you will never understand it , like whitebeard sin or his ship name and many others
Post automatically merged:

Don’t know if this has really been articulated yet and I do not care to scroll through the pages of this thread to check, but if this distinction hasn’t been made yet, it needs to be - Oda is/was a much, MUCH better storyteller than he is/was a writer. He really is great at world building, and his character development was top notch at points, but tying everything together in a way that not only makes sense narratively but is acceptable within the paramters he’s set for the audience over the years is definitely a weakness for him now.
Oda was always a great writer before being a storyteller ، the great writing is what makes the story and the characters great

I understand the difference between writer and storyteller. But Oda is failling in both lately.

He was much more storyteller than writer since always. For sure. But lately his storytelling was failling more and more each chapter, specially when he changes the meanings of early chapters events like Luffy's flashback with Gomu Gomu no Mi and Shanks role in his piracy. Thing is Luffy would have become a pirate with or without meeting Shanks.

Actually Oda is still pretty good at storytelling, the Wano plot looks overall well constructed to me in itself. But the details make a lot of difference, that is the issue fundamentally. The Tama and Big Mom matters for example, kinda two black sheeps.

I understand the difference between writer and storyteller. But Oda is failling in both lately.

He was much more storyteller than writer since always. For sure. But lately his storytelling was failling more and more each chapter, specially when he changes the meanings of early chapters events like Luffy's flashback with Gomu Gomu no Mi and Shanks role in his piracy. Thing is Luffy would have become a pirate with or without meeting Shanks.
Shanks make him love to be pirate , in one piece piracy means freedom , so a man like luffy would be a pirate anyway , we know this from the romance dawn saga

Actually Oda is still pretty good at storytelling, the Wano plot looks overall well constructed to me in itself. But the details make a lot of difference, that is the issue fundamentally. The Tama and Big Mom matters for example, kinda two black sheeps.
These two plotlines need a really fitting endings from Oda , especially tama , I don’t know why Oda trying hardly to make a huge role for her

Shanks make him love to be pirate , in one piece piracy means freedom , so a man like luffy would be a pirate anyway , we know this from the romance dawn saga

These two plotlines need a really fitting endings from Oda , especially tama , I don’t know why Oda trying hardly to make a huge role for her
Why the hell you are trying to counter-argument if you just say the same thing I did? Luffy would love to be a pirate anyway since they represent freedom.

Why the hell you are trying to counter-argument if you just say the same thing I did? Luffy would love to be a pirate anyway since they represent freedom.
Shanks is like blackbeard for luffy , luffy would have been pirate anyway but shanks stimulates him , luffy will always chase his dreams , but blackbeard made him believes in this , they are stimulations from the beginning,nothing changed