Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not how Oda does fights.

He does it in Parts in the early chapters and then ends them with the "Vs" chapter. If he has to set up these fights similar to what he did, that will take much more time. Especially with the Extra Plot, haki growth you ask for. Every One Piece arc fights have been like this except maybe the M3 fights. Kaku and Jabra got 2 chapters at MAX in Enies Lobby and Wano has 100 times more things going on than Enies Lobby. The Only reason I see why Jack didn't die at the Rooftop to Sulong Neko and Inu is because he's a All star by Portrayal he should fall after the Flying 6.

Usopp getting 2 chapters here against Jack is too unrealistic for one piece when King vs Zoro and Sanji vs Queen will barely get 1 set up chapter and 2 Vs chapter.

If you want to Read Fights read Baki or some other Fighting Manga. one piece has always been like this. Entire Marineford was 30 chapters.
Wano is the climax of 400 chapters of the manga. Nothing wrong with the fights on for a while. If Oda couldn’t add that much more chapters, there’s several other stuff that could be cut. Udon could have easily been only half as long as it really was without making the story suffer. In fact, shortening Udon would have improved the pacing by a lot. Cut the Luffy and Kid rivalry filler since that gets done in Onigashima anyways, making it redundant. The Mummy stuff didn’t need to go on for like 2-3 chapters. Make it only one chapter. Shorten the Gifter fights and Queen’s goofiness. Don’t drag out the Kawamatsu reveal for so long with like a million silhouettes. He didn’t even end up being very important. Cut the Yakuza bosses. They are literal background characters. They haven’t done a damn thing in the entire story so far, and they most likely won’t do anything in the future. A lot of the Flower Capital filler could be shortened too. The Soba Mask plotline honestly shouldn’t have happened. Have Sanji use the RS for the first time against Queen. Sanji would be pushed into a corner by Queen, and Sanji will have to learn to swallow his pride and use the Raid Suit in order to save his nakama. Cut the Oniwabanshu. They were total trash and didn’t do anything. Keep Fukurokuju though, and make being a ninja look more prestigious since only him, Raizo, and Shinobu would be ninja. There’s also plenty of wasted panels on fodder Gifters in Onigashima.

I think @Van pointed this out before, but I think one of Oda’s problems is that he gets too ambitious at the beginning of arcs and goes overboard with the worldbuilding, which causes him to cut some content in order to stay more in line with his original targeted arc length. Characters like the Yakuza, Mimawarigumi, and Oniwabanshu were a total waste of space and added nothing to the arc. Honestly, even some of the Scabbards didn’t need to be included. Ashura, Kawamatsu, and Kiku didn’t need to exist, and without Kiku, Izo wouldn’t really need to come into the arc. This would leave us with 5 Scabbards: the Dukes, Kinemon, Raizo, and Denjiro. This would add to Denjiro’s torment since he would know he’s the only one of Oden’s subordinates left on Wano for those 20 years. I like Ashura and am ok with Kiku and Kawa as characters, but they weren’t really needed. Less Scabbards means that the remaining Scabbards get more development, as well as the rest of the cast too

Wano is the climax of 400 chapters of the manga. Nothing wrong with the fights on for a while. If Oda couldn’t add that much more chapters, there’s several other stuff that could be cut. Udon could have easily been only half as long as it really was without making the story suffer. In fact, shortening Udon would have improved the pacing by a lot. Cut the Luffy and Kid rivalry filler since that gets done in Onigashima anyways, making it redundant. The Mummy stuff didn’t need to go on for like 2-3 chapters. Make it only one chapter. Shorten the Gifter fights and Queen’s goofiness. Don’t drag out the Kawamatsu reveal for so long with like a million silhouettes. He didn’t even end up being very important. Cut the Yakuza bosses. They are literal background characters. They haven’t done a damn thing in the entire story so far, and they most likely won’t do anything in the future. A lot of the Flower Capital filler could be shortened too. The Soba Mask plotline honestly shouldn’t have happened. Have Sanji use the RS for the first time against Queen. Sanji would be pushed into a corner by Queen, and Sanji will have to learn to swallow his pride and use the Raid Suit in order to save his nakama. Cut the Oniwabanshu. They were total trash and didn’t do anything. Keep Fukurokuju though, and make being a ninja look more prestigious since only him, Raizo, and Shinobu would be ninja. There’s also plenty of wasted panels on fodder Gifters in Onigashima.
Oda never does that. Marineford was the climax of the Ace storyline from Alabasta and was Built up as the biggest War at that time. Lasted 30 chapters entirely. One Piece has always been like this. People were complaining about Marineford, Enies Lobby, Dressrosa, WCI and every arc pretty much when it was coming out weekly. Japanese Manga are meant to be read by volumes, especially the war arcs. Re reading arcs in their entirety would be a much better reading and this is from experience.

The Mummy stuff was important because that Luffy speech was taken from Akiro Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the story about which Wano is based on. If you remove all the filler, then Wano will feel super bland and people will again complain about the lack of Worldbuilding when compared to previous arcs or pre timeskip. And you know that the gifter fodder panels were for delaying Luffy going to rooftop till ch 1000 and to show how big Kaido's army is.

I think @Van pointed this out before, but I think one of Oda’s problems is that he gets too ambitious at the beginning of arcs and goes overboard with the worldbuilding, which causes him to cut some content in order to stay more in line with his original targeted arc length. Characters like the Yakuza, Mimawarigumi, and Oniwabanshu were a total waste of space and added nothing to the arc. Honestly, even some of the Scabbards didn’t need to be included. Ashura, Kawamatsu, and Kiku didn’t need to exist, and without Kiku, Izo wouldn’t really need to come into the arc. This would leave us with 5 Scabbards: the Dukes, Kinemon, Raizo, and Denjiro. This would add to Denjiro’s torment since he would know he’s the only one of Oden’s subordinates left on Wano for those 20 years. I like Ashura and am ok with Kiku and Kawa as characters, but they weren’t really needed. Less Scabbards means that the remaining Scabbards get more development, as well as the rest of the cast too
As I said Cut all the worldbuilding and the arc will feel more like a Davy Back fight but a war between the two crews. The Yakuza, Mimawarigumi and Oniwabanshu all existed in Edo Period Japan and Oda included them in his worldbuilding of Wano because they represent his culture and Japanese roots.

You cannot just straight up cut everything just for "fights". The Same criticisms can be told about Enies Lobby - like the entire World Building, Franky Family filler, the Aqua Laguna etc can be removed. I'm sure people were complaining about Buggy filler in Marineford arc instead of Whitebeard pirates vs Admirals fights just like how people complained about Tama filler in Wano.

As I said, if you wanted fights for 50+ chapters, you can read Baki or other fighting Manga.

I'm not saying Wano is flawless. The pacing of Act 2 was kinda iffy (felt fast at some instances and slow at others) while I personally wanted more characterisation / expansion on each scabbard's relationship with Oden. I will have more criticisms when I read Act 3 along with Act 1 & 2 together. But there is a reason why your version of Wano arc isn't the one being published on Shueisha while Oda has made enough money for multiple lifetimes.

For a Calamity to go down without ever showing any of his arsenal, Oda did Jack dirty from start to end. Just like Pageone, guess they both also are the only veterans who never even showed a single signature attack of themselves, right?

They seem like perfect punching bag for Oda's frustration. Fights overall stink this arc. Oda definitely put more effort into Dressrosa fights, which was mere build up to this grand arc of Wano. Majority of characters here have been build up for much longer as well and have higher face value at the time of their respective writing, compared to Dressrosa characters.

No excusing it, I don't get the rush when you already spend 100+ chaps on this arc, why not add 5 more and detail major fights?

H

humanbeing

BM still "trains" Law and Kid now, when they learn the hang of it they might able to defeat her just like Kaido and Luffy.

Jack is a fishman
But that plot is only being used for that "why Jack survived against Fujitora, and once again against Zou", nothing else.

Poor Jack. He is probably World Strongest Fishman atm, or second strongest. But Oda never cares about showing his racial skill. Fishman karate, water shooting, commanding an army of fishes, etc.

Otama, Momo the duo shitty brat has more panel than Jack.
Jack deserves better, he should be fighting Yamao his childhood friend who went full retard after watching Oden's execution.

Oda never does that. Marineford was the climax of the Ace storyline from Alabasta and was Built up as the biggest War at that time. Lasted 30 chapters entirely. One Piece has always been like this. People were complaining about Marineford, Enies Lobby, Dressrosa, WCI and every arc pretty much when it was coming out weekly. Japanese Manga are meant to be read by volumes, especially the war arcs. Re reading arcs in their entirety would be a much better reading and this is from experience.

The Mummy stuff was important because that Luffy speech was taken from Akiro Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the story about which Wano is based on. If you remove all the filler, then Wano will feel super bland and people will again complain about the lack of Worldbuilding when compared to previous arcs or pre timeskip. And you know that the gifter fodder panels were for delaying Luffy going to rooftop till ch 1000 and to show how big Kaido's army is.

As I said Cut all the worldbuilding and the arc will feel more like a Davy Back fight but a war between the two crews. The Yakuza, Mimawarigumi and Oniwabanshu all existed in Edo Period Japan and Oda included them in his worldbuilding of Wano because they represent his culture and Japanese roots.

You cannot just straight up cut everything just for "fights". The Same criticisms can be told about Enies Lobby - like the entire World Building, Franky Family filler, the Aqua Laguna etc can be removed. I'm sure people were complaining about Buggy filler in Marineford arc instead of Whitebeard pirates vs Admirals fights just like how people complained about Tama filler in Wano.

As I said, if you wanted fights for 50+ chapters, you can read Baki or other fighting Manga.

I'm not saying Wano is flawless. The pacing of Act 2 was kinda iffy (felt fast at some instances and slow at others) while I personally wanted more characterisation / expansion on each scabbard's relationship with Oden. I will have more criticisms when I read Act 3 along with Act 1 & 2 together. But there is a reason why your version of Wano arc isn't the one being published on Shueisha while Oda has made enough money for multiple lifetimes.
To be honest, I’m fine with all the content I’m talking about cutting. I’m fine with having both that and extended fights. I’m just saying that if forced to cut either that “filler” because the arc, for whatever reason, must not exceed a certain number of chapters, then I’d pick to cut the filler.

Another example of filler that amounted to nothing is the O-Lin plot. That entire thing could have been avoided by just having Kaido and Big Mom have their clash when she lands in Wano, and then have them arrange their alliance, like what happened in the manga. That would save a significant amount of panels, and this would have been a good thing for the story since the O-lin plot was pretty much universally despised. The only thing the O-lin plot led to was BM one shotting P1, which was also bad writing

To be honest, I’m fine with all the content I’m talking about cutting. I’m fine with having both that and extended fights. I’m just saying that if forced to cut either that “filler” because the arc, for whatever reason, must not exceed a certain number of chapters, then I’d pick to cut the filler.
Its pretty obvious at this point that Oda is Rushing through One piece's ending and hopes that the Anime fills in the gaps. Fights can be filled in if the important parts and conclusions are put in the manga while what you term as filler, the characters and the exposition, cannot be filled in completely in the anime.

Another example of filler that amounted to nothing is the O-Lin plot. That entire thing could have been avoided by just having Kaido and Big Mom have their clash when she lands in Wano, and then have them arrange their alliance, like what happened in the manga. That would save a significant amount of panels, and this would have been a good thing for the story since the O-lin plot was pretty much universally despised. The only thing the O-lin plot led to was BM one shotting P1, which was also bad writing
TBF, Big Mom and her crew was used like Sanji - to hype up the Opponents in King and Queen and the allies in Marco. I think the entire OLin Plotline existed to hype up Queen in Udon and King at the Waterfalls. I didn't like O Lin oneshotting Page One, I wanted Usopp to defeat him, but I'm fine with it knowing he's going to get his time in the Spotlight at Elbaf.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Nami looks gorgeous on the cover :steef:
I don't like her as a character but her looks are good and this cover is really fucking good. The first time Oda draw her so well her boobs aren't the size of half of her upper body and the waist is normal.

Holy Shit..... The quality of these Arabic scans is glorious.....
You can even see the details of heavily shaded characters. Something that's not clear until Viz comes out.

I don't like her as a character but her looks are good and this cover is really fucking good. The first time Oda draw her so well her boobs aren't the size of half of her upper body and the waist is normal.
So basically you like her but just tsudere cus that no point praising her on a cover request :suresure:

Status
Not open for further replies.