General & Others OP Manga Sales Declining

Oda keeps making large scale absurd things, thinking only on quantity, when he just need to do more basic things.

Just imagine a arc entirely focused on strawhats against another group of pirates (BB or shanks for example) plain and simple, without a "war" with million characters to drag down, oh boy.

Now imagine the "final war" with 5 times more characters than Wano :suresure:
Wdym lol
OP rose into popularity with Impel Down and Marineford
The arc features hundreds of characters and pacing is great

What good fights does Wano have? I’d argue that Zoro vs King is the only fight in all of Wano that has choreography that comes close to Luffy vs Katakuri

Kaido vs Luffy is pretty boring and the Rooftop was mostly carried by the hype of the new generation facing the Yonko

Most fights in Wano are completely offscreened or are literally terrible

Luffy vs Kaido (mid outside of hype)
Nami vs Ulti (one of the worst fights in the series)
Franky vs Sasaki (mediocre at best)
Jack vs Inu (lol)
Peros vs Neko (bad)
Killer vs Hawkins (pretty good)
Zoro vs King (really good so far)
Sanji vs Queen (just Queen spamming lasers all day)
Rooftop 5 vs really just Kaido (decent)

Luffy vs Katakuri alone trounces every fight in Wano with Zoro vs King being the only fight that has the POTENTIAL to surpass it

Quality > Quantity
So Zoro vs Killer, Robin vs BM, Jinbei vs WsW, Kid & Law vs BM didn't happen ? Also i am skipping like 10 clashes/small fights here btw.
R5 vs Kaido & BM is "decent" ?
Also as i said before, Luffy vs Kaido didn't even reach the halfway point yet.
Post automatically merged:

This isn't mentioned more. Most Manga that lasted this long ended up losing sales. Look at Conan
Conan is losing sales ? Fuck i need it to end not get cancelled.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Yeah, the author has nobody to blame for this but himself…he’s never been able to reign in his baser instincts (introducing more characters than he knows what to do with, never allowing any of them to actually die, manufacturing dramatic tension in the most obvious ways with Luffy’s multiple knockouts, etc), but they are running so rampant during this raid and his readers aren’t half as dumb as a) we act here, or b) he thinks we are. When the quality of a work declines to the point we’re at with Oda’s, people tend to stop supporting it financially :luuh:

I've said this after WCI: "since Oda failed WCI and even the most hardcore fans didn't like it, that means that Wano will ether make or break one piece" and then I said this during Wano "Wano will destroy one piece" and goddammit I was spot on.

I've been hearing from hardcore fans that "during the fights sales will rise up" but contrary to their predictions the opposite occurred. Sales is something that the hardcore fans–who spend their entire time mindlessly debating about power levels and trash talking–cannot understand, these same fans are exactly the ones who pirate the manga and don't even pay for it, so no wander they don't understand sales. People–regardless how much they ones liked one piece–will not spend their money on something that is trash, I mean complete garbage, and that's even to say the least. Wano "objectively" is worse than a fuc*ing Chinese monhoua, that's how bad it is. The hardcore fans will never understand it or accept it, but they're not the ones who pay for it so their opinion on the matter is worthless. The decline in sales will only continue with few ups, but that's it, it will continue to decline...
Maybe I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for the new hype animation of the Wano arc, the situation could have been worse. After all, other titles with a good anime adaptation also increase the audience's interest in the original source.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
The steady decline is an issue also covid played huge role from people buying volumes .

Eitherway oda has strong international market he might not worry that much.
JJK in the top spot sold almost five times more volumes than OP, I think it has less to do with the pandemic than a visible decline in quality…everyone had to stay inside for a year and a half and do nothing but consume the media of their choice, and with all that personal freedom, the majority of buyers decided this series wasn’t worth their while.

2008 was vol 49-51, MF started with 56 which was Dec 2009, so already counted for 2010.
And i don´t count Shabondy (2008) to Marineford, at best you can make the argument for Impel Down but not really, due to the intense draw of MF since battles and war and all.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323417
Top 50 Volumes
*1 1,678,208 ONE PIECE 50
*2 1,646,978 ONE PIECE 51
*3 1,645,128 NANA 19
*4 1,544,000 ONE PIECE 49

2009 (Impel Down, which for me is pre-Marineford, and had around the same sales per volume as now)
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323425

Volume Sales
*1 2,057,528 One Piece vol.53
*2 1,963,696 One Piece vol.54
*3 1,952,551 One Piece vol.52
*4 1,810,410 One Piece vol.55

Comparison to 2021:
One Piece 98 (2,018,042 copies)
One Piece 99 (1,863,574 copies)
One Piece 100 (1,839,886 copies)

In contrast, MF year (2010) had a 500k spike, one year after even more than 1 mil spike compared to pre-MF, which 2012 held.

Volume Sales (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323427)

**1 2,593,580 One Piece vol.59
**2 2,578,730 One Piece vol.57
**3 2,557,356 One Piece vol.58
**4 2,492,183 One Piece vol.60
**5 2,480,124 One Piece vol.56

Volume Sales (2011) https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323429

**1 3,382,588 ONE PIECE 61
**2 3,207,568 ONE PIECE 62
**3 3,073,175 ONE PIECE 63
**4 2,652,700 ONE PIECE 64

Volume Sales https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323433

**1 3,336,992 ONE PIECE 65
**2 3,320,744 ONE PIECE 66
**3 3,044,901 ONE PIECE 67
**4 2,390,625 ONE PIECE 68

So it´s basically a 33% decline from its peak sales per new volume and a fall back to 2009.
Volume 49 and 50 are thriller bark mostly lol. And there is a significant plottwist in 2009 where they all split up on sabaody. It's 1 major plotline that ties to Ace. If you count Marineford, you need to count what came before it that set it up because 2009 is when everything changed for the series, not 2010.

What you "dont" count vs what the Paramount War is counted as doesn't matter. Point is, volume 52 is an inflection point in the series. You yourself can see the 500,000 copy jump from 51 to that volume, because that's the volume Zoro disappears.

Tldr: stop discounting Amazon Lily and ID from the success of Marineford. It's the same exact plotline and is when the series made the jump in sales.

One piece still sells vastly more than anything up to this point.

I've said this after WCI: "since Oda failed WCI and even the most hardcore fans didn't like it, that means that Wano will ether make or break one piece" and then I said this during Wano "Wano will destroy one piece" and goddammit I was spot on.

I've been hearing from hardcore fans that "during the fights sales will rise up" but contrary to their predictions the opposite occurred. Sales is something that the hardcore fans–who spend their entire time mindlessly debating about power levels and trash talking–cannot understand, these same fans are exactly the ones who pirate the manga and don't even pay for it, so no wander they don't understand sales. People–regardless how much they ones liked one piece–will not spend their money on something that is trash, I mean complete garbage, and that's even to say the least. Wano "objectively" is worse than a fuc*ing Chinese monhoua, that's how bad it is. The hardcore fans will never understand it or accept it, but they're not the ones who pay for it so their opinion on the matter is worthless. The decline in sales will only continue with few ups, but that's it, it will continue to decline...
Think you are way to harsh.

One piece is running too long its obvious the base reader are not teen anymore . One piece is mostly read by adults i have not seen kids tune into OP eitherway.

JJK in the top spot sold almost five times more volumes than OP, I think it has less to do with the pandemic than a visible decline in quality…everyone had to stay inside for a year and a half and do nothing but consume the media of their choice, and with all that personal freedom, the majority of buyers decided this series wasn’t worth their while.
OP is currently facing issue with innovate new ideas . Oda cant do much i do think he still makes good plot setup he adds way too many characters you dont bother with and makes it to complex.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for the new hype animation of the Wano arc, the situation could have been worse. After all, other titles with a good anime adaptation also increase the audience's interest in the original source.
I don´t think you can see that in sales since they stayed constant the last 3 years or so.
Whether Wano substituted new readers for old readers that stopped is possible, but can obviously not be proven.

So Zoro vs Killer, Robin vs BM, Jinbei vs WsW, Kid & Law vs BM didn't happen ? Also i am skipping like 10 clashes/small fights here btw.
R5 vs Kaido & BM is "decent" ?
Also as i said before, Luffy vs Kaido didn't even reach the halfway point yet.
Post automatically merged:

Conan is losing sales ? Fuck i need it to end not get cancelled.
Zoro vs Killer is decent but still not better than Luffy vs Katakuri due to the length

Robin vs BM is good

Jinbei vs Who’s Who ended way too fast for me to consider it a good fight

Kid and Law vs BM is good but most of it has been offscreened. We’ve only had maybe a half chapter worth of them “fighting”.

It’s more like the Rooftop 5 vs Kaido. Big Mom did pretty much nothing other than playing support or being Kaido’s hype tool outside of Hakai + she was embarrassed by Law Kid and Killer further killing her hype as a Yonko which doesn’t help

There’s more in store for Luffy vs Kaido but so far it isn’t looking very interesting. Kaido is in hybrid but rarely uses his elemental abilities and focuses on using his CoC infused club 99% of the time while Luffy keeps punching. Not much there unfortunately

The fights in Wano range from terrible (Jack vs Inu) to really good (Zoro vs King) but none of them are better than Luffy vs Katakuri for me yet

OP is currently facing issue with innovate new ideas . Oda cant do much i do think he still makes good plot setup he adds way too many characters you dont bother with and makes it to complex.
I really don't think it's the formulaic set up for arcs. For sure, execution may be a part of the problem, but I think people are exaggerating when they talk about OPS decline.

Look at @DarkWitch 's graph. Then look at the number of volumes released per year. Then recall that One Piece is a 100 volume series and no series nearly as long even remotely has a similar sales record.

The keyword is investment, not per chapter or volume interest. Because by far when you look at how many people discuss One Piece over most other manga, it is discussed far more than anything else, even when it has bad chapters.

Volume 49 and 50 are thriller bark mostly lol. And there is a significant plottwist in 2009 where they all split up on sabaody. It's 1 major plotline that ties to Ace. If you count Marineford, you need to count what came before it that set it up because 2009 is when everything changed for the series, not 2010.

What you "dont" count vs what the Paramount War is counted as doesn't matter. Point is, volume 52 is an inflection point in the series. You yourself can see the 500,000 copy jump from 51 to that volume, because that's the volume Zoro disappears.

Tldr: stop discounting Amazon Lily and ID from the success of Marineford. It's the same exact plotline and is when the series made the jump in sales.

One piece still sells vastly more than anything up to this point.
That´s an issue nothing to do with sales, and for me that´s a no, and you won´t convince me.
And that specific "twist" did nothing for increasing new volume sales, which is the entire point.

It does, since you tried to refute my argument, not anybody else´s.
My statement, OP fell back to pre-Marineford sales, i count everything not MF as pre-MF, pretty easy concept.
And that statement remains true regardless of what you want to call it.

It´s not the same plotline, as shown by the sales.

KnY crushed it in sales per volume, JJK is in the midst of it, no matter how incredible OP´s success has been and still is, denying these facts does not change it.

I don´t think you can see that in sales since they stayed constant the last 3 years or so.
Whether Wano substituted new readers for old readers that stopped is possible, but can obviously not be proven.
Fair. But the goal of improving animation is still to try to attract or return attention to OP. But whether it played a role or not, we really won't be able to find out.