Powers & Abilities Black Blades are overrated

I guess we’re going to pretend Ryuma doesn’t exist.

I guess we’re also going to pretend Kuina doesn’t exist.

I guess we’re going to pretend that Ryuma is the first character in the series with a ‘god’ title. Or that Oda has been subtly hyping the Shimotsuki plotline in SBSs and hints towards Ushimaru in Yamato’s backstory.

But yeah fuck man, Oda clearly doesn’t give a shit about swordsmen. :catcry:
We clearly see that to tame a blade like Enma you require advcoc, and Oden that was a top tier caliber coudnt achieve this feat.
A guy that clashed with Kaido (and left him nightmare for over 20years). Oden coudnt reach that step, hitetsu knew about it so is something that Oden tried to get it in his life.

All the guy that achieve the blacken blade, have extremely hype title, Yonko is not that hype if we think that xebec had in his crew 3 member that become Yonko.....

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
I'm not talking about power levels. Mihawk is above Shanks thanks to his title. Its just that it feels hollow due its complete reliance on telling and not showing, and even then, the telling needs work.
But his title is directly tied to power level.
He's the STRONGEST swordsman alive.
But I agree with the "Oda tells, but doesn't show". Idk if it is due to his self-imposed time restraints due to the sheer amount of BS he has to jam into the chapters, that he lacks the time to proper develop the hype of the characters, so he usually doesn't provide any real hype, or he completely gets out of touch with reality, like the 9 scabbards vs Kaido.

The better portrayal we have about the Mihawk plotline is on some Ace novel, when some marines are discussing who they think is the current strongest swordsman. One says it's Mihawk, other says it's Vista, and the other says it's Zoro. I think it was a very real dynamic. It's not like there's a world tournament and the winner gets the title. What if Mihawk dies before someone beats him?
What if there are swordsmen capable of beating him, but they can't never challenge him because he hides in some castle?
What if he got captured at some point? How could someone challenge him? How would someone else get the title? Start from scratch? Etc.

I get really mad that, after cutting Pica, Zoro has a flashback about Mihawk telling him about creating a "black blade". Zoro had just used the blackening shit on his swords and he remembers it. But somehow, we still don't know what the fuck takes to create a Black blade.
Was it reaching the pinnacle of CoA mastery? Does it require CoC? Is it something else? And it pisses me off that the only place we have someone talk about this shit is in Wano, but, instead of having a samurai opponent, Zoro fights the random YC1 of the arc instead.

What I feel sometimes is, instead of walking the path to become WSS, he's walking on some sort of side path, that EVENTUALLY will converge on his duel against Mihawk.

I believe we need more than that. Zoro has had only a single duel since Mihawk and that was with Ryuma 600 chapters ago.

Not one person who seeks the title

Not one person who got their ass beat by Mihawk and became disillusioned

Not one quick Chinjao-like statement regarding Mihawk

It's the fact that nothing substantial was given even one time. Oda simply tells you that Mihawk is the strongest and that he beat everyone, but we dont see the impact of it anywhere. Again, Oda could have done something at least once throughout 1000 chapters instead of jobber shit like Okama fodder, Hyouzou and Pica.
Oda does good bro.. What r u expecting ? Every crew should contain someone who chases wss title ? That would be something noodle or erkek kind of people would want to dehype wss title and put it on a race between underlings..Oda's current route makes zoro exceptional among crews.Also widens swordsmen world passievely with throwing top tiers to stage as roger ,ryuma , shanks , fujitora etc etc..

Totally agree with the OP and I will add:

Roger and Whitebeard do not have FS = FS is overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not have awakened fruit = awakening fuit is overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not fight with their feet = feet are overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not have a way to fly = flying is overrated

:goyea:

Oda said that there are plenty of things he wishes to address in the manga but can't due to time constraints. He also said the VC is a valid source cause it contains info that he doesn't have to time to address in the manga. What does the VC say? That the WSS title is legit, Mihawl defeated every swordsman he fought until he has no more worthy challengers, and that he looking for a swordsman stronger than Shanks.

That it some key info that should have mentioned in the manga since it directly involves the secondary protagonist. That along with Oda's "tell, never show" style, it's no wonder so many doubt Mihawk.
Even if Oda comes in chapter 1500 and explore it well

It'll be too late.

Fanboys thinking if Oda comes out to hype WSS now it will erase 1000 chapters of it being irrelevant to most top swordmen
Post automatically merged:

I'm not talking about power levels. Mihawk is above Shanks thanks to his title. Its just that it feels hollow due its complete reliance on telling and not showing, and even then, the telling needs work.
In swordsmanship
Even then we know they are equal
Mihawk has never been above Shanks

I work be surprised if WG gave him WSS 6 yeats ago to counter Shanks becoming Yonko
In order to make pirates fear becoming pirates in NW

We have no idea how Mihawk compares in a duel. The Vista thing was spectacularly underwhelming but as a swordsman it's entirely possible that he is as strong as Shanks, WB, or Roger. Maybe less than the former two, but they're both dead so that means nothing.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Oda does good bro.. What r u expecting ? Every crew should contain someone who chases wss title ? That would be something noodle or erkek kind of people would want to dehype wss title and put it on a race between underlings..Oda's current route makes zoro exceptional among crews.Also widens swordsmen world passievely with throwing top tiers to stage as roger ,ryuma , shanks , fujitora etc etc..
Who said every crew needs one? I just said multiple times that Oda could have done something at least once over the past 1000 chapters.

Remember Ryuma's lore drop? That's he's single handedly responsible for Wano's rep? And that he's held in higher regard than Oden? That's is a little direct portrayal that Mihawk should have gotten. Instead, we get that in a VC. It's mostly indrect portrayal for Mihawk and the title.

They did not train much with their swords :kayneshrug:
They did not get accepted by their swords :endthis::kayneshrug:
:cheers:, you need to understand fully the blade will that something only Ryuma/Mihawk understood and of course both are monster hacky user
Post automatically merged:

Totally agree with the OP and I will add:

Roger and Whitebeard do not have FS = FS is overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not have awakened fruit = awakening fuit is overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not fight with their feet = feet are overrated

Whitebeard and Roger do not have a way to fly = flying is overrated

:goyea:
hillarious but so true, gosh the hater gona cope so hard with this post. Perfectly said :suresure::kata:

We have no idea how Mihawk compares in a duel. The Vista thing was spectacularly underwhelming but as a swordsman it's entirely possible that he is as strong as Shanks, WB, or Roger. Maybe less than the former two, but they're both dead so that means nothing.
look Yonko are very underwhelming so far, especially Big Mom. this is a shonen and the more you wait the stronger and important character will appear. Oda didnt do a bad job in marine ford because he is the only character with shanks that hasnt use yet a name attack. The moment you see name attack is the moment the character is seriously aiming for the target.

Vista used a name move vs Mihawk he didnt even bother replaying with an other name attack. That how much interest Mihawk has against vista :milaugh:

It's kind of hard to claim it's overrated when we still don't know much about black blades, the benefit to having one or how to create one. Mihawk has never fought seriously onscreen, we haven't seen a Ryuma flashback and Zoro conveniently lost his black blade before the war started.

There's a lot of speculation and even some headcannon being pushed when it comes to black blade. The manga tells us any blade can become a black blade yet some still believe only a swordsman create a black blade. The one thing we know is creating a black blade is a rare feat. Typically with One Piece the more rare the feat the more hype the feat receives. The fact only two people been able to create a black blade or the WSS of their time says alot.

WSS title, it's very different than PK. To achieve the WSS title all a swordsman needs to do is defeat the current WSS. Because of that, Oda doesn't have to send time showing a swordsman on a separate grand adventure to become the WSS.

Oda chose to do that with Zoro. Mihawk told Zoro to see the world, gain experience and know himself. Having Zoro fight and beat swordsman and none swordsman shows us the WSS is an incredible difficult title to achieve and his strength isn't limited to just swordsman.

The WSS have seen plenty of hype. The problem is people go out of their way to intentionally downplay or de-hype it because they're upset that Mihawk is stronger than this character or that character. Look at maineford. Haters act like that was Mihawk fighting at his best and strongest level while in reality he was fighting a low level. They claimed Mihawk couldn't hit Luffy. In reality, Mihawk easily hit Luffy while he was running away, using his G2 to enhance his speed, and the battle to hide his movement.

Who said every crew needs one? I just said multiple times that Oda could have done something at least once over the past 1000 chapters.

Remember Ryuma's lore drop? That's he's single handedly responsible for Wano's rep? And that he's held in higher regard than Oden? That's is a little direct portrayal that Mihawk should have gotten. Instead, we get that in a VC. It's mostly indrect portrayal for Mihawk and the title.
Mihawk's rep isnt enough ofc if u r clowning enough ( not to u , to people who do ) to deny every strong swordmen oda introduce and put all of them to different agenda cause of character love or zoro hate.. For me its enough and only shiryu is acceptable contender from underlings to chase that dream and be exceptional as zoro .. U can say oda may write non crew related stuffs but that man is lazy to do so..

Idk why people are arguing against this.

Oda could have, and should have given Mihawk more name drops and manga hype outside of his title and vivre Card

Oda could have and should have included at one one opponent for Zoro who aspired the same dream or at least had a hint of connection with Mihawk (someone who lost to him maybe)

Oda could have and should have given Zoro's dream more narrative importance and had it brought into perspective and light bit more.

He fucked up with "tell, not show" style and didn't even tell that much in manga. Wano looks like a change of pace, though, so that's alright ig

Idk why people are arguing against this.

Oda could have, and should have given Mihawk more name drops and manga hype outside of his title and vivre Card

Oda could have and should have included at one one opponent for Zoro who aspired the same dream or at least had a hint of connection with Mihawk (someone who lost to him maybe)

Oda could have and should have given Zoro's dream more narrative importance and had it brought into perspective and light bit more.

He fucked up with "tell, not show" style and didn't even tell that much in manga. Wano looks like a change of pace, though, so that's alright ig
The same goes for Yonko. How many candidate want to become a Yonko?
I see 2 so far, the previous crew from xebec had 3 Yonko in it.....

Black Beard want to be pirate king and not a Yonko.... so even for a primary plot point Oda didnt do a great job

The same goes for Yonko. How many candidate want to become a Yonko?
I see 2 so far, the previous crew from xebec had 3 Yonko in it.....

Black Beard want to be pirate king and not a Yonko.... so even for a primary plot point Oda didnt do a great job
Yonko is not a goal lol. Not even Luffy wants to become one. Kidd gives no fucks either.

They're just obstacle in the way of you becoming the King, because they're all people who just compete for PK

Dethroning them is big step forward

Roger is stronger than Mihawk tho

Even Mihawk put Roger on a pedestal, stating that it is harder to be PK than it is to be WSSM.
I always find it funny that people use this line to say Roger is stronger than Mihawk but yet in that very chapter Mihawk calls his power the ultimate power.

Mihawk's statement should be clear, he doesn't think there is anyone stronger than him and that no one can be stronger than him, he even arrogantly tells Zoro that it doesn't matter how long Zoro takes no one will be able to defeat him since his power is the strongest.

This exchanges should tell you that Mihawk doesn't think a PK is stronger than him

Yonko is not a goal lol. Not even Luffy wants to become one. Kidd gives no fucks either.

They're just obstacle in the way of you becoming the King, because they're all people who just compete for PK

Dethroning them is big step forward
that not true, Kidd is aiming for Big Mom thrones he never said he want to become pirate king, and neither Law.
Law want to knwo about the past century story and Kidd goal is?

Still your previous point is not many are trying to get the wss the same goes for the Yonko....

we have 2 candidate trying right now 1 did achive during MF battle but that was really a cheap shot from Bleack Beard (not a real fight).

So I understand your point about sword strongest swordman (seeing not many trying, but that not the many plot of One Piece) but for the Yonko which are below Pirate King even here we dont have many candidate. We didnt see any clash, so what your point about strongest swordman?

look Yonko are very underwhelming so far, especially Big Mom. this is a shonen and the more you wait the stronger and important character will appear. Oda didnt do a bad job in marine ford because he is the only character with shanks that hasnt use yet a name attack. The moment you see name attack is the moment the character is seriously aiming for the target.

Vista used a name move vs Mihawk he didnt even bother replaying with an other name attack. That how much interest Mihawk has against vista :milaugh:
I think complaints about Yonko are pretty overblown. Between Luffy's engagement and the assassination attempt in general to now, it's been about 16 volumes. For all the engagement Big Mom has had in that time, it's been 16 volumes since she bled and the first time was only due to a special trick versus actual combat. She's leveled formidable Zoans quickly and struck down 4/5 Supernova with one attack. Even the grandmaster could be just about destroyed in one shot when the two of them joined hands.

But that's all separate from Mihawk. Hands down I just don't think Oda made it seem like Vista was entertainment, but a serious competitor. I don't think there's anything wrong with that except for Vista is worth little to nothing aside from that scene.

that not true, Kidd is aiming for Big Mom thrones he never said he want to become pirate king, and neither Law.

Still your previous point is not many are trying to get the wss the same goes for the Yonko....

we have 2 candidate trying right now 1 did achive during MF battle but that was really a cheap shot from Bleack Beard (not a real fight).

So I understand your point about sword strongest swordman (seeing not many trying, but that not the many plot of One Piece) but for the Yonko which are below Pirate King even here we dont have many candidate. We didnt see any clash, so what your point about strongest swordman?
Kidd is the only supernova that once said he aimed to be the pirate king, he said it pre time skip

I mean, sure? Who cares for Yonkos. If you think Kidd wants to become Yonko instead of PK, that's wrong. Yonko is just stepping stone.

None of our protagonists give a flying fuck about becoming Yonkos. Luffy insulted BM for not being PK yet bragging. WSS is Zoro's dream

Even Yonkos themselves don't want to Yonkos and be King instead

I don't think comparing WSS as a goal to Yonko makes much of a difference lol.