Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original plan was for the crew to finish with Jinbei. The ten people included Luffy back then.
Post automatically merged:

I like the Momo discussion, it’s good to see something a bit different that a good argument can be made for.

Why are you lying to protect your headcanon? Luffy wants 10 crewmates other than himself so there's still room for one more...

Why are you lying to protect your headcanon? Luffy wants 10 crewmates other than himself so there's still room for one more...
Why are you assuming I’ve got some wild ulterior motive here?

I don’t mind if another person joins. But we’ve been told that the crew in this doublespread.

Was the crew as Oda originally planned it.

Oda might have changed his mind since then, we don’t even really know at what point “originally” was- before the series? Chapter 1?- but at some stage that was the definite finished article in Oda’s head.

I don't see how anyone would include Luffy since he doesn't count as the captain. Because he literally said he needs 10 people.
The original statement is vague enough to go either way but Greg’s confirmed that the current bunch was the original final crew.

But like I said above, plans can change and just because Oda said something in 1997 he doesn’t need to stick to it in 2022

The questions are all related, his cowardice, his lack of knowledge, he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He just knows he’s important but he doesn’t know for what.
He already knows why he's important and his role thanks to the journal.

Youre framing it like he only cares about his cowardice and nothing about his actual desire to see the same Thing his father did
Because the only thing he asks is about his cowardice? He questions what Oden saw and his goal because he's worried about exposing people to danger, the same danger Luffy said he should now not be afraid of after biting Kaido. You're taking one question out of context when he showed his main intent already.

But like I said above, plans can change and just because Oda said something in 1997 he doesn’t need to stick to it in 2022
With Blackbeard getting a random addition post timeskip and the magazine clarifying Luffy wasn't counting himself, it's pretty much guaranteed we're getting at least one more member to match the original statement.

He already knows why he's important and his role thanks to the journal.

Because the only thing he asks is about his cowardice? He questions what Oden saw and his goal because he's worried about exposing people to danger, the same danger Luffy said he should now not be afraid of after biting Kaido. You're taking one question out of context when he showed his main intent already.

With Blackbeard getting a random addition post timeskip and the magazine clarifying Luffy wasn't counting himself, it's pretty much guaranteed we're getting at least one more member to match the original statement.
You’re just taking snippets of Momos monologue out of context and skipping what he’s saying:

“I spoke with Zunesha briefly, but I still do not have the whole picture. After reading fathers journal, I learned why it is so important I must not die. But for some reason father tore out the page with the most crucial part. What did he and Rogers crew see on that final island that made them laugh?! I don’t understand what the goal is!! Father was not a prophet!! If he were still alive now would he really still say Open Wanos Borders?! I am not smart enough to understand!! If it would mean exposing the people of Wano to danger I do not wish to open the borders!! Am I just a coward!!?”

So what can we establish from this monologue:

1. Momonosuke considers what his father saw at Raftel to be the most important information beyond anything Zunesha showed him or beyond anything momo read

2. Momonosuke is incredibly torn up about why his father was so certain Wanos borders had to be opened after Oden went to Raftel.

3. Momonosuke admits he has room to grow character wise before he an accomplish his fathers dream.

You took two panels out of context and said that’s what the monologue was about. The monologue also took place after Momo bit Kaido so I’m not sure what you’re referring to with that?

This shows a rather clear Goal with a clear resolution and character story for this character. Which is honestly more than we’ve gotten for any other character on the list

The original statement is vague enough to go either way but Greg’s confirmed that the current bunch was the original final crew.
I don't know who this "Greg" guy is on social media and I don't care what he confirms.

If you yourself said you need 10 people to finish coal mining, then you need 10 people to finish coal mining, you don't count yourself in that 10 because if you do then you need 9 people instead.

I wasn't the greatest in maths in my class, but now I understand why math teachers used to yell, because people can't do simple maths.

Considering his bullshit plot twists and plot holes in the story, I don't doubt that. I hope it sticks to the 10 statement because even with 9 SHs we don't get to see them in action.

When was the last time we saw Usopp having a character development, giving him proper gear for a "sniper" and doing something useful? Chopper's nowhere to be seen in action, and his bounty is 100 berries because of this supposed gag. Brook swords style and DF powers have been absent, literally 0 development, but hey it's funny because he keeps saying "can I please see your panties", Franky a literal Cyborg has 0 action in combat.

We don't need more SHs after Yamato. The SHs don't have proper treatment anyway.

I don't know who this "Greg" guy is on social media and I don't care what he confirms.

If you yourself said you need 10 people to finish coal mining, then you need 10 people to finish coal mining, you don't count yourself in that 10 because if you do then you need 9 people instead.

I wasn't the greatest in maths in my class, but now I understand why math teachers used to yell, because people can't do simple maths.

Considering his bullshit plot twists and plot holes in the story, I don't doubt that. I hope it sticks to the 10 statement because even with 9 SHs we don't get to see them in action.

When was the last time we saw Usopp having a character development, giving him proper gear for a "sniper" and doing something useful? Chopper's nowhere to be seen in action, and his bounty is 100 berries because of this supposed gag. Brook swords style and DF powers have been absent, literally 0 development, but hey it's funny because he keeps saying "can I please see your panties", Franky a literal Cyborg has 0 action in combat.

We don't need more SHs after Yamato. The SHs don't have proper treatment anyway.
Why are you so obsessed with their skills in combat?? Most straw hats aren’t combat focused.

“Usopp hasn’t done anything useful” did you skip Dressrosa? Wano isn’t even done and usopps on his own right now. Of course he’ll get a moment

“Choppers nowhere to be seen in action” because he’s a doctor he literally saved the entire floor of samurai earlier this raid

“Brooks sword style or DF powers have been absent” everything Brook does is through his devil fruit. And he literally one shot a number and gifters with his sword style. And don’t make me get into everything he did in WCI

“Cyborg getting 0 combat” this is just weird since Franky literally has been dropping bodies since entering the new world besides

Why are you so obsessed with their skills in combat?? Most straw hats aren’t combat focused.

“Usopp hasn’t done anything useful” did you skip Dressrosa? Wano isn’t even done and usopps on his own right now. Of course he’ll get a moment

“Choppers nowhere to be seen in action” because he’s a doctor he literally saved the entire floor of samurai earlier this raid

“Brooks sword style or DF powers have been absent” everything Brook does is through his devil fruit. And he literally one shot a number and gifters with his sword style. And don’t make me get into everything he did in WCI

“Cyborg getting 0 combat” this is just weird since Franky literally has been dropping bodies since entering the new world besides
Sanji is a cook...

Sanjis introduced as a fighter literally, “Fighting cook” and has been a main fighter in the crew since Arlong Park? Not sure what you’re saying. I’m saying most of these characters are given shine outside of combat because they don’t need to be super powerful combatants cause the straw hats already have the monster trio

Sanjis introduced as a fighter literally, “Fighting cook” and has been a main fighter in the crew since Arlong Park? Not sure what you’re saying. I’m saying most of these characters are given shine outside of combat because they don’t need to be super powerful combatants cause the straw hats already have the monster trio
This is not a discussion about the obsolete M3... Just pointing out that having another role or whatsoever must not mean that they shouldn't get a time to shine as a fighter and they don't need to be super powerful to have a fight since they will obviously fight someone of their level... Is it that hard to give Chopper or Brook a main fight? And Brook was also introduced as a "fighter" as well, but the point here is that Sanji can fight as a cook, so do Chopper and Brook...

That's a double standard I realized from some Sanji fans when talking about other members, especially those who didn't appreciate him not fighting anyone and instead cooked in his central arc (WCI)...

It would worry your teachers more that you think of this as a maths problem instead of interpreting a sentence.

“I need ten more people” would mean the person was not including themselves. “I need ten people” is ambigious as to whether the person making the statement is including himself.

Also important, nitpicking over the specific meaning of a sentence when neither of us is fluent in Japanese is foolish to begin with.

And considering Greg’s employed by Jump in some capacity there’s not much lost by listening to his stories about what he knows about the series.

The original crew Oda envisioned is the current lineup
https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...azine-vol-10-16-of-september.5909/post-703625

What do you mean under original though. Look at @Shift s post, the first concept is with Klabauterman, a botanist, no Robin. The 2nd concept is before the series began according to him, and Jinbe is missing, but huge space there so he was probably erased. Do 2 characters fit there behind Luffy, Zoro, Sanji? Yes they do. We cant know for sure if he added Robin to the original crew or changed one existing member into her

This is not a discussion about the obsolete M3... Just pointing out that having another role or whatsoever must not mean that they shouldn't get a time to shine as a fighter and they don't need to be super powerful to have a fight since they will obviously fight someone of their level... Is it that hard to give Chopper or Brook a main fight? And Brook was also introduced as a "fighter" as well, but the point here is that Sanji can fight as a cook, so do Chopper and Brook...

That's a double standard I realized from some Sanji fans when talking about other members, especially those who didn't appreciate him not fighting anyone and instead cooked in his central arc (WCI)...
1. Calling the M3 obsolete is just asinine by now. Odas been doubling down on the importance of them in the raid. They’re the three most important straw hats and always will be.

2. It’s not about them not getting time to shine as fighters, it’s that they don’t need to because that’s not who they are? Brook and chopper are the epitome of Support fighters. And they got that shine. Brook in WCI was an absolute badass and the stuff he did to big mom was amazing. Chopper cured a plague in the span of an hour or so. That’s amazing. They don’t need to get fights and there’s a reason they’ve practically never had solo fights like Usopp.

3. Robin was introduced as an assassin. Franky was introduced as a bounty hunter. Sanji introduced as a fighting cook. Zoro introduced as a bounty hunter. Jinbe introduced as a warlord. Yes these people are going to get fights.

4. You’re barking at the wrong tree. WCI is my favorite arc and I like what Sanji did in it. He showed his power, but showed his passion, his character, and his will consistently. People that think fights are the only thing to appreciate about a character are really missing outf

1. Momonosuke considers what his father saw at Raftel to be the most important information beyond anything Zunesha showed him or beyond anything momo read
No, he said he doesn't understand the full picture. By that, he meant Oden's goal.
2. Momonosuke is incredibly torn up about why his father was so certain Wanos borders had to be opened after Oden went to Raftel.
He's torn up on if Oden would still want to open up Wano in the present. He says this verbatim.
3. Momonosuke admits he has room to grow character wise before he an accomplish his fathers dream.
He just questioned if he's a coward for worrying about the danger that might come after the borders are opened. There's no admittance anywhere there.
You took two panels out of context and said that’s what the monologue was about. The monologue also took place after Momo bit Kaido so I’m not sure what you’re referring to with that?
The whole point of that scene is to be a direct conflict with what Luffy said to him. He's not supposed to be scared of anything in the world yet he's worried about what danger might come in after Wano opens up. In line with his development, the answer to that is facing his fears despite any risk, not repeating Oden's journey because of his own insecurities.

Regardless, I can tell you're not gonna budge on this so I'll leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.