Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE 974: ONWARD TO ONIGASHIMA

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a banger of a chapter to return to the present with. The art is simply gorgeous with all the ships, the stormy atmosphere, and all those chaotic Wano waves. Perfect weather to pull a traitor move lol.

It looks we finally get an answer to Kaido's motivation for hunting down the time jumping Scabbards. Orochi is reasonably paranoid that his spy reappeared after 20 years with a written note, he's not going to believe the full story unless he sees him in the flesh. Kanjuro was not aware he needed to present more conclusive evidence to his overly suspicious boss Orochi, but they still take a gamble on his info. Rather than the secrets of the world, Kaido is more about how the hell they jumped through time and is interested in meeting a Kozuki for the first time in decades. To be fair, the possibility of a time travel Devil Fruit could very well unravel the secrets of the world in Kaido's eyes. But what exactly do Kaido and Orochi want with Momonosuke? Even Doflamingo was out to capture rather than kill him. Kaido had some praise for the Kozuki history at the time of Oden's death and I wonder if thru Momo we'll find out why.

Very satisfying to finally see traitor Kanjuro enter the stage. I was worried in the flashback Oda might end up creating a new character as the traitor just to subvert expectations. The twist with Kanjuro has had hundreds of chapters of build up, he was the second Scabbard introduced after the leader Kin'emon. There was little hints dropped here and there like the usefulness of his painting DF, the Vivre Card needed for Zou, but the holes were so wide open you could substitute most of the other Scabbards who had not fully revealed their abilities. The strongest claim came from hististorical lore surrounding the traitorous painter Yamada Emosaku. The flashback seriously put this to the test as the retainers showed a lot of love and loyalty to Oden and he repaid them by giving up his own life for theirs and entrusting them with his dream. For a Scabbard to be a traitor, they would have to be an utter psychopath. That's just what we get the moment Kanjuro chooses to reveal himself in a dramatic, theatrical, completely unecessary manner.

Kanjuro's backstory adds a very unique layer I've never seen in another One Piece character. We see little Kanjuro is not depicted as human, but instead he's a shapeless blob with no motivation, no dreams, not even a will to live. Orochi cleverly takes notice of this kid and shapes him like clay, giving him direction and a DF ability to make his job possible. Orochi went as far as to take revenge on the killers of Kanjuro's parents to try and gain his loyalty, but it seems like the kid is completely out it and doesn't care who killed who anymore. I assume that raised as an actor, Kanjuro mastered the ability to completely surmerge himself in his role. Normally actors have mental cues tied to real world attachments that allow them to pull themselves out of this state, but with his parents dead that bond was severed and Kanjuro ended up a sad blob. Orochi could easily see Kanjuro was clearly insane, but that made him the perfect actor for the role he was given. He didn't have any resements against Wano or his fellow Scabbards, he didn't really believe in Oden's dream, Kanjuro was just playing his role as Orochi's little spy.

I have to wonder what happens to Kanjuro after this. When you put Oden one foot in the grave, help Wano descend into 20 years of hell, is redemption even possible? What Pudding does for Big Mom is a child's play compared to a world-class talent like Kanjuro. Even if he becomes a double-agent at the last moment, it's still not good enough. Orochi or Kaido will kill him as a martyr and that serves as Kanjuro's atonement. The main problem is that we have a second traitor by the name of Apoo, and while I expect him to fully come around and join the Worst Gen, I don't see the same character writing being recycled for traitor Kanjuro in the same arc. One thing that would be lovely to see is Kanjuro becoming Kin'emon's destined opponent, the two Scabbards we've known the longest both with DFs and around the same age, the leader taking care of the traitor in a life or death, a battle for Momo. Perhaps he dies a villain, perhaps he expresses some regret and helps Kinemon before the moment of death. Kanjuro has shot up to my favorite #2 Scabbard, though that label shouldn't apply anymore.

Lastly, we see Luffy, Law and Kid appear from underwater Marineford-style in their ships. Magnificent seeing the Sabaody trio and their ships. This is no doubt Denjiro's work. Orochi's plans got subserverted by his own inside man Denjiro, not in simple fashion of countering his moves but going further to make him believe he succeeded. Kaido, Orochi and Big Mom should all be drinking away and not expecting any visitors. I wonder how Kid got wrapped up in all this? He was going around rescuing his crew, did Denjiro show up and make him an offer? Pirates schooling Samurai on how things are done in the seas. Boy, I am pumped to see some naval battles. I want to see Kid and Law's full crews and their pirate ships show off too.

- After reading the full chapter, I'm more certain that Kanjuro is irredeemable. He's emotionally disengaged to the point that he's unaware of any true self identity. He'll act his role to the point that it consumes him. He wouldn't have cared if he died a scabbard or not as long as he carried out a service for the koruzumi clan. There're no holes or cracks in his psyche for a redemption arc, unlike Pudding for example.

This character archetype is ripe for comeuppance in the worst way imaginable.

- Where's Shinobu? She seems to have vanised into thin air :zorothink:

- The Supernova lads grand entrance was well executed. The sea is for pirates not samurai. Game on! Who will be able to avoid Kaido's secret weapon. What secret weapon you ask? This of course...
DEM LONG LEGS BOI:yasu:

Yoooo I was asking the same thing.... she was left at the cost protecting Momonosuke... while scabbard are leaving on the boat...

But it turned out that Kanjuro stayed on the coasts... and he let a drawing replica of him to be on the boat...

So... by the time he revealed he was a traitor... he managed to get a hold of Momoosuke... so with that being said.... did Kanjuro cut down Shinobu????

I would love a scene of her being on Law's ship and Law is treating her wounds LOL. It would actually wrap their fued nicely and end it.... although I'm pretty sure that Shinobu will turn into a fanboy for Law... and be like Hancock who is obsessed with Luffy LOL

But it will be funny as fuck... as Law is disgusted from her hahaha

A

ardym

Imho they will make the "save the day" entrance in act 4
i think the act will begin anyway when they arrive there.
and to be honest i doubt that they would have better chance than this night , after all of their enemies will be drunk and the Moon is full , and the Minks can only uses their full power on that night.
plus that Oda doesn't have the time to make the arc longer by doing something like that . he already dragged enough

Also if kanjuro is still on the shore I'm expecting someone else to now sneak up on him and end him. Someone like denjiro or kinemon would do the trick.
Also is like kanjuro in the flashback a number?

Worst

Custom title
i think the act will begin anyway when they arrive there.
and to be honest i doubt that they would have better chance than this night , after all of their enemies will be drunk and the Moon is full , and the Minks can only uses their full power on that night.
plus that Oda doesn't have the time to make the arc longer by doing something like that . he already dragged enough
Dude it's 5 acts ,Act 3 ends with a tragedy/defeat ,Act 4 is the actual War and victory(and act 4 is usually the longest)

I guess the thing Kinnemon couldn't bring himself to do, Denjiro fulfills that role.
Yeah... Denjiro is the one taking action LOL
But to be fair... for Denjiro... he HAD TIME to process the death of Oden... mourn him until he turned into Kyoshiro.... planned his way under Orochi... and so on

For Kinemon... it all was all sudden.. one shock after the other... For him... Oden's death happened only around a month or two!

There was no time for him to be like Denjiro... He immediately traveled through time.... immediately set sail to Zou... ship got sabotaged.. on Dressrosa he got fucked.... ended up on Punk Hazard... and he finally made it all the way back!

Also... you could say that Kinemon is LESS sly in personality than Denjiro who was from the get go scamming people for money.. and more careful as individual as he was the prominant scabbard who would tell Oden to be careful from Orochi.

So.. different personalities. For Denjiro.. he seems like the type who would rather know who the traitor is to cut him down... while for Kinemon he's more softy in that he wishes to never know there is a traitor... to NEVER have to cut one of his companion down.. it's personality trait that exist in our life as well

There are 3 surprising shits revealed here in this chapter
1st. Kanjuro can actually draw! He can actually draw some good quality shit, not only he's hiding his identity, he also hiding his ability
2nd. All these times the ugly ass old Shinobu (including the one we saw in the woman's bath) is actually Kanjuro?
Wait, when did they actually switch?
Was Kanjuro even inside the boiling pot with the other?
Why the hell did he looks like some slime ghost shit when he's younger? I'm confused
3rd. Look at Kaido's damned legs

No longer the skinny ass crab legs, he's been working out for the past 20 years :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, kudos to those folks back in OJ and other forums making theories about Conjurer is the traitor

Kinda stupid on how he contradicting himself thou
He said he want to die but he escapes with momo
he said he don't have any emotions but he want to watch them despair before they're killed by the beast pirates
the hell Kanjuuro

S

Shura

There are 3 surprising shits revealed here in this chapter
1st. Kanjuro can actually draw! He can actually draw some good quality shit, not only he's hiding his identity, he also hiding his ability
2nd. All these times the ugly ass old Shinobu (including the one we saw in the woman's bath) is actually Kanjuro?
Wait, when did they actually switch?
Was Kanjuro even inside the boiling pot with the other?
Why the hell did he looks like some slime ghost shit when he's younger? I'm confused
3rd. Look at Kaido's damned legs

No longer the skinny ass crab legs, he's been working out for the past 20 years :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, kudos to those folks back in OJ and other forums making theories about Conjurer is the traitor

Kinda stupid on how he contradicting himself thou
He said he want to die but he escapes with momo
he said he don't have any emotions but he want to watch them despair before they're killed by the beast pirates
the hell Kanjuuro
Kanjuro wanted to die but Orochi said "bring Momo to him"....

Also, Kanjuro "character" as a scabbard is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.