Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE 974: ONWARD TO ONIGASHIMA

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a re-read i too have to say that Wano so far is probably my least favourite arc, post TS.

The stakes and character's involved doesn't make an arc automatically amazing, people seem to confuse that. The Flashback killed all my expectations for quality writing in Wano, I'm just interested in the war and that's really all, tbh.

The Killer/Kamazou twist was still great though. I think more of Kid's journey during Wano in general would've made it better but oh well......I'll rate it 3/10 so far.
If you feel that way it's fine.

I really don't see much you can objectively criticize, that hasn't been there for the entire series though.

As for the flashback, I also can't find anyone that brings up legit criticism that warrants the kind of hate some users here display. Sure, Toki's role could've been expanded a bit, but we still don't know if that isn't coming up on a seperate occasion. Oden's character has been consistent from the beginning and Mr.Morj did an excellent character analysis of him on youtube btw.

I for one criticized the second part of WCI (after the tamatebakko explosion), since it really had some pacing and consistency problems imho. Back then I was actually quite salty on OJ, lmao.

But you have to put things in perspective. Wano so far doesn't suffer from any major problems in my eyes. Not liking it is totally fine, but objectively speaking it's really well done outside of a few shaky plot points (BM's amnesia for example).

Reading most weekly manga releases - also enjoying most of them - OP is (still) leaps and bounds better than the vast majority of them.
In fact I don't think any current mainstream manga comes close in terms of storytelling and world building. The last time I truly thought another mainstream manga was at least as well done as OP were Death Note in 2006 (until L's death) and the early stages of AoT.

Last edited:
Not sure why I didn't think of this...lolz my bad if it's already been brought up but chances are that Kanjuro was the one who drew the severe weather conditions that scabbards were experiencing on their way to Onigashima:steef:. Watching one of my fav Japanese you tubers who mentioned that it could potentially be Kanjuro who did it and I think it makes a lot of sense tbf given his abilities..

I know it took me forever to read this chapter but finally I got to it and as soon as Orochi said the parents were killed onstage/lived as someone else, I was picturing Kanjuro—especially with the DF. I must admit that the inability to die with Oden and the transformation but had me wondering if it was Denjiro for a moment but nope.

His face when he reveals his treachery though. Just ugh. (All the tiny ways he sabotaged them are running through my head now—I can’t even) I’m so glad that those three showed up together when they did. A much needed entrance and having them reunited in all their bickering Sabaody Archipelago glory was perfection. I thought I was going to need to reread to get caught back up to the present after that flashback but this transition was quite well done.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Not sure why I didn't think of this...lolz my bad if it's already been brought up but chances are that Kanjuro was the one who drew the severe weather conditions that scabbards were experiencing on their way to Onigashima:steef:. Watching one of my fav Japanese you tubers who mentioned that it could potentially be Kanjuro who did it and I think it makes a lot of sense tbf given his abilities..
MonsterJohnTV? I was looking at some OP vids on YT and saw a couple of his vids

Didn't understand much but his Uroge memes are funny :madmonk::madmonk::madmonk:

A

ardym

It is obvious at least the strawhats and Law have suspected a scabbard , Law , Sanji and Robin are really shrewed people and must have realized that .
if the one who helped Law is X-drake he would tell Law that they get information and since when.
and Robin is herself is spy and can gather info better than anyone else she was even praised by the traitor Kanjuru
and Sanji was always known as the best strawhat strategist and has the means for infiltration and gathering info as well , since he now can be invisible.
Kyoshiro might have a hand in that as well and for sure he knows about the existence of the traitor as well.

Wano is one of the best arks so far lol. And by the end of it I'd say best ark so far. Nothing against those that don't really like it but what are you reading hahah definitely not what we are or just looking for something to winge about:LOL::ROFLMAO:, Far out go read foxy ark again probs the people i speak of fav part of the story.

Hello everyone!
I’ve been reading this forum since maybe 1 year but it my first comment. English isn’t my first language so sorry in advance if I make some mistakes when I’m writing

Orochi and Kaido speaking as equal… it says a lot on the character of Orochi, his power as a shogun and his charism as a villain. It seems like the 2 old Kurozumi have acquired quite a lot of devil fruits during their time outside Wano, it would be interesting to learn a bit more of their story (in a vivre card or a flashback?). It looks like Orochi has been planning his coup d’état since a very long time, even before Oden was being kicked out of the Flower’s Capital and started his tour through Wano.

Congrats to the guys that guessed the traitor, he was my n°1 suspect until the boiling scene. At that moment I thought that none of the scabbards could’ve been the traitor.
Kanjuro’s parents have been killed just because of their name… maybe Wano inhabitants deserves a little bit of what they have now lol. By the way I don’t understand why does Kanjuro reveal his identity now. He has hidden his true self for some many years even when he was going to die from boiling, he could have just let his drawing “died” with the other scabbards in the sea.

Kinemon slashing the traitor’s face is so satisfying, he’s my favorite scabbards by far, I hope he’ll get the occasion to fight Kanjuro for good for all he has done to his master, his wife, his friends and Wano in general.
I suppose Kin, Raizo and Kanjuro had a vivre card of Neko or Inu when they were sent to the future and that’s how they knew where to go to reach Zou, and Kanjuro could have gave a piece of the card to Kaido’s men, so they could arrive at the elephant island.

I’m quite confused by the fact that none of the scabbards is wondering where is Nekomamushi and Marco’s alliance, the guy is one of the missing scabbards and they don’t care, same thing for Denjiro. Or am I forgetting something?
Some of the forum are saying that the Shinobu we’ve seen at Wano was just a drawing from Kanjuro but that doesn’t match for me. We’ve seen her using her DF to save the Mugi and others when Kaido attacked Oden’s Castle. In my opinion, she was just o-s and she’s the corpse we’re seeing near to Kanjuro at the port.

So, the Mugi, the Heart and the Kidd pirates are safe and sound, all samurai allies are in the other port, Denjiro’s in charge of the capital during the fire festival so it is quite possible that it is him that organized all this counter attack
I’m not sure if the beast pirates can contact Onigashima, the communication are cut down by Caribou, aren’t they?
I don’t think Kidd is apart of Law, Luffy (and Denjiro?)’s plan, it looks like he’s just seeking for revenge from Kaido and Apoo and it is easier for him if everyone is going to Onigashima at the same time.

I guess the 3rd act is over or soon, so we we’ll skip to 3-4 chapters focused on the outside of Wano maybe we’ll see what happened to Sabo, Vivi and Hancock soon. I think we are at the end of the 3rd act, so the 4th will be war and the 5th the resolution of the Wano arc.
We went from WCI aka the 2nd worst arc after FI to Wano the best arc of one piece.

I know this is pretty much... late I suppose, but congrats to everyone who thought Kanjuro was the traitor and no-one else. He was pretty much the 2nd guy I suspected, since the plot was screaming at him being the traitor, so I took him for a massive red herring.. xD But congrats to those who were adamant on him. (y)

I didn't enjoy what Oda was going for to solve everything and try and make sense out of him being the traitor here.... I mean, it's understandable given his true background in this chapter, but let's face it: Kanjuro's basically the Pudding of Wano.. and having another "traitor+good actor" is getting a bit cliche, after WCI.

:tchpepe:

Law, Luffy and Kidd's entrances were great; I particularly loved Kidd's entrance, and I'm hoping to see more stuff from him in this arc.. and despite it being a Deus ex machina at this stage, at least it changed the mood a bit now, after the last 3 or so depressing chapters of Oden and the scabbards being incredibly stupid.. :rolleyes:

Soo.. great chapter, for me. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.