Anime Discussion Death Note thread

Who is your favourite character?

• Total voters

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Lotta words to dislike in this headline…seriously, consider the track records here - Netflix has tried multiple times to do live action anime and failed on each occasion; Netflix has already tried to do Death Note specifically and failed then as well; the Duffer Brothers haven’t been able to cohesively tell a story THEY wrote for two seasons, let alone successfully portray someone else’s work; and let’s be real, the source material took a huge hit in quality when L died…like, which part of this is supposed to be exciting or inspire confidence in the final product?? :kaidowhat:

GUI VI

Touch The Grass
A lot of people say after L's death, DN becomes bad and I kind of disagree.

I agree that the highlight of the series is Kira vs L's rivalry, but even so, I still like the development of Near and Mello's investigation (Near is cool, Mello is trash).

So what's your fave part of DN?
i'm anime only. i prefer part 2 to part 1.

part 1 is hit-or-miss for me. i love the first episodes and the yotsuba arc but not the middle episodes. i like neither light nor L and the only characters in part 1 i was rooting for were aizawa, matsuda, and soichiro. but even though they are all well-written characters with their own worries and goals, they are still minor characters... the saddest moment in the entire series for me was aizawa meeting his family after he quit the kira investigation team.

naomi's death - or rather what led to it - was a big disappointment of part 1. she's so brilliant she's the first one to figure out several key points about kira's MO. her usless POS of a fiance just died to kira so she should be very careful... she knows kira got the intel on the FBI agents from the japanese police (either by mistake or it was deliberately leaked - either way the japanese poice can't be trusted after that)... she meets a family member of the top police officer and just tells him everything she has deduced. like, she tells him her entire thought process before he has even lied to her about being on the kira investigation team... that, already, is incredibly stupid. then she actually believed this total stranger when he told her he's on the investigation team and can invite her to join them - with no witnesses to even corroborate his claims... beyond dumb. but of course it's pointless to expect the authors of bakuman to treat a female character any better.

light i think is a psychopath - not because he likes killing people but because even though we're always exposed to his inner monologue, he never thinks lovingly of anyone, never has positive thoughts about any other people (besides loving misa's eyeballs) etc.

i like all of part 2. some of my favorite characters appear in part 2: mello, mikami, sidoh (my fave shinigami). part 2 begins with mello running circles around light - had near NOT agreed to help light, mello would have got him in no time. looking at mello i kept thinking: i wish L would have been proactive and enterprising like that. seriously, mello got the death note in no time. and if you want to argue that mello already knew that such a thing exists so it was 'easier' for him to look for it, i will counter by saying that even without knowing that death notes are a thing, L could have done exactly the same thing: capture saiyu and soichiro the moment he started suspecting light and demand kira's murder weapon/tool in exchange for their lives. it's not a politically correct method but by not resorting to it, L allowed light to kill many more people and generally prolong his reign of terror.

mikami is another favorite of mine, mostly because he's a fantastical retard, his blunders supremely entertaining and light's downfall mostly his doing :yearight:

overall, a very inspiring series. love the soundtrack.

i can't look at the poll without disgust, however - imagine voting for that misogynist tool ray penber :whitepress:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
i prefer part 2 to part 1.
i like neither light nor L
I have to say, I think this is the first time I've seen someone say this. It's a refreshing take ngl.

When it comes to the rest of the post, I might go in detail when I have some more time, but I would like to say I like Mello for being proactive as well.

I have to say, I think this is the first time I've seen someone say this. It's a refreshing take ngl.

When it comes to the rest of the post, I might go in detail when I have some more time, but I would like to say I like Mello for being proactive as well.
as you wish. but i won't engage in any arguments

and i know most everyone prefers part 1. i admit that L is easy to like. he has a 'cute' design that doesn't look generic bc of the ratty clothes and dark undereyes. he's not particularly evil, nor a boring goodie-two-shoes... but i still couldn't really like him (although i wanted him to accomplish his goals). mostly because he wasn't proactive enough, resorted to manipulation when it wasn't necessary ('testing' aizawa), refused to resort to manipulation when it probably WOULD have produced great results etc. i found watching him a bit frustrating tbh

i forgot to mention that i find light's intelligence a bit overrated. the entire story is basically him trying to get out of the mess he created by falling for the 'L is showing his face on the telly' trick.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
as you wish. but i won't engage in any arguments
Oh no no, I don't intend on arguing either lol. Just having a convo about a great series. Most of the things you mentioned above are also personal preferences so there is no need for me to try to debate against it lol.
and i know most everyone prefers part 1. i admit that L is easy to like. he has a 'cute' design that doesn't look generic bc of the ratty clothes and dark undereyes. he's not particularly evil, nor a boring goodie-two-shoes... but i still couldn't really like him (although i wanted him to accomplish his goals). mostly because he wasn't proactive enough, resorted to manipulation when it wasn't necessary ('testing' aizawa), refused to resort to manipulation when it probably WOULD have produced great results etc. i found watching him a bit frustrating tbh
Yeah I would agree that L is easy to like. He's not a regular good guy so to say, so that makes him interesting.

i forgot to mention that i find light's intelligence a bit overrated. the entire story is basically him trying to get out of the mess he created by falling for the 'L is showing his face on the telly' trick.
When it comes to that there is this chart
https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/threads/death-note-thread.4716/#post-426243

The trick worked and Light was outplayed in the spur of the moment. But I wouldn't agree that his intelligence is overrated. L is just that smart, but Light even smarter.

Light is definitely the smarter of the two
L had only one moment of brilliancy really, and that’s when he punked Kira on live TV the first couple episodes, but at that point Light didn’t even know whom he’s up against. From there L’s approach was based on instincts more so than actual reasoning. He was shocked at how smart Light is and for some reason wanted him to be the culprit.
Luck was on his side, and each time Light had to come up with drastic counters to win the war
-No one knows L’s name so there was no way he could be killed by Light
-Both happened to be the same age living in the same district, which made it easier for L to get close to Light
-Light’s gf fucking up the tape evidence
-L going full schizo on Light without evidence

Social skills come into play here too, Light understands people and knows how to manipulate them