Current Events Rayleigh statement doesn't mean in his Prime he would 100% beat Blackbeard

With the official translation out I thought I'd make a thread about Rayleigh statement this chapter which has people running with Prime Rayleigh>Blackbeard being definitive or set in stone.

The official translations have clear some things up. First Rayleigh never mentions his reputation being the reason Blackbeard retreat and instead says "Particulars of the situation made it possible to save her". This particulars regarding situation had many factors that were unfavourable to Blackbeard with his crew petrified he'd had to take on the Kuja army alongside Rayleigh and Hancock had Rayleigh been able to free her.

Rayleigh also did not state he would beat Blackbeard in his prime, only that "At my age, I couldn't have possibly won in a Head To Head bout against Blackbeard." Rayleigh is basically telling us that in his current state, he has no chance against Blackbeard. Rayleigh's statement does not confirm that if he had been in his prime, he would have defeated Blackbeard, only that he would have had a chance, unlike he has today.

With the official translation out I thought I'd make a thread about Rayleigh statement this chapter which has people running with Prime Rayleigh>Blackbeard being definitive or set in stone.

The official translations have clear some things up. First Rayleigh never mentions his reputation being the reason Blackbeard retreat and instead says "Particulars of the situation made it possible to save her". This particulars regarding situation had many factors that were unfavourable to Blackbeard with his crew petrified he'd had to take on the Kuja army alongside Rayleigh and Hancock had Rayleigh been able to free her.

Rayleigh also did not state he would beat Blackbeard in his prime, only that "At my age, I couldn't have possibly won in a Head To Head bout against Blackbeard." Rayleigh is basically telling us that in his current state, he has no chance against Blackbeard. Rayleigh's statement does not confirm that if he had been in his prime, he would have defeated Blackbeard, only that he would have had a chance, unlike he has today.
Yep ge mentions that his old age is the reason he can't possibly beat him.
Post automatically merged:

official is not always a correct translation
Bro its basically the samething

Rayleigh is basically telling us that in his current state, he has no chance against Blackbeard.
No he didnt say that, he said exactly what you wrote above, "At my age, I couldn't have possibly won in a Head To Head bout against Blackbeard".

BB pretty much knows that he isnt winning this without very high diff best case scenario and he left without accomplishing anything.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Yea but the most telling thing here is how Rayleigh's reputation and past endeavours (which Teach may have witnessed himself) had Teach soil his pants. Rayleigh sonned BB and everyone else there without a doubt.

The dialogue is there to save a bit of face for Teach. Just so people don't run with Old Rayleigh > Current BB.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Yea but the most telling thing here is how Rayleigh's reputation and past endeavours (which Teach may have witnessed himself) had Teach soil his pants. Rayleigh sonned BB and everyone else there without a doubt.

The dialogue is there to save a bit of face for Teach. Just so people don't run with Old Rayleigh > Current BB.
Yup. But it's clear prime Ray > current bb
And bb has prime Ray in his head which is why he shat his pants

Bogard

You can't win
To be honest after looking at the viz, Blackbeard looked much better

- Rayleigh talked about "particulars of the situation / circumstances" that made it possible to save her

So unlike in the TCB, where Rayleigh's reputation was pointed out, the viz focused more on the situation.

Now the question is which situation was he referring to here, which is simply the fact that all his crew mates were turned into stone with no way to save them even if he took Hancock's devil fruit

It was to the point that he even asked to Coby that if he left Hancock, will she play nice and bring his crew back to normal? And when Hancock said she will, he noticed she was lying, suggesting he was willing to let Hancock and her df go if his crew mates could somehow be saved, but would only be forced to actually kill Hancock if she refuses to do so, something he noticed at the time, that she wasn't willing to do

But with Rayleigh acting as the mediator, it gave him the insurance that she'd do it

And outside of this, we have Rayleigh outright saying that at his age, there was no possible way he could beat Blackbeard, and thus implying that the possibility would only come if Rayleigh was in his prime, rather than straight up implying he'd have won like TCB's translation implied