Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE CHAPTER 978: Introducing the Tobi Roppo

rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers are part of Kaido crew.

Numbers : veteran fighters , been with Kaido for 20+ years.
Flyers: Supernovas , captains working under kaido

Since Queen named them last before naming Orochi side and BMP
But then flyers are considering replacing Queen

Kaido > Kaido JR> Calamities> Flyers >= or ~ Numbees > headliners > Gifters> Pleasures> Waiters
I doubt that they are
Flying 6 were talking about rpalcing Queen which means the next lvl for Flying 6 is a calamity
and
Queen after numbers started singing about Orochi's crew- allies

So it's impossible for numbers to be above flying 6, so only logical conclusion is that Numbers are allies.
That would explain why Kaido wasn't expecting them.

Good chapter nami outfit was 10/10 that cleavage always sexy my boy apoo is a master at the DJ and Toei was right page one didnt get defeat stop downplaying them shoutout to the sanji fans who goin to accept and the one who dont get proof of a dialogue or a anime scene no headcanon

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Solid chapter. Kin'emon redeems himself from the fraudulence last few chapters and really settles in as the figurehead of the operation.

The samurai have truly resolved themselves this chapter. In fact, you can see the difference in how the Strawhats and Samurai treat this situation. The Strawhats are basically in default mode right now, while the Samurai are perfectly willing to sink their ships. Showing that this is do or die for them.

It makes me hope the Strawhats can show their resolve just a bit more, but this is what I've come to expect from them, even when things were really serious for them, so not that bad.

Kin'emon and Denjiro continue to be bros to the end. They came a long way from the street urchins they use to be. The fact they are with the main team cements that they are the most significant Scabbards, and they should be expected to play big parts in this war. Little rascals are now leaders for a cause.

The party looks like an absolute blast. Queen is not holding back on the charisma levels. He is soaking up the entire scene. He continues to be the best Beast Pirates proper member.

Speaking of Beast Pirates, the F6 have now all been gathered, and they are....ok. Aside from Drake, there's very little to go on for them. So far the one with the most characterization of the newly introduced is Ulti, who is bad attitude central. Who's Who appears to be the level headed and mature one. Possibly the leader? Black Maria is a clear flirt, and Sasaki is rather bland, unfortunately. P1 seems rather pensive around his sister, as if he's embarrassed by her. Drake is still awesome as ever, but it's hard to say what he thinks about all these guys. His poker face game is top notch.

Chapter ended very abruptly, suggesting we get more reveals. Hopefully some more on King, who's still severely underdeveloped.

There's some cool easter eggs attached throughout the chapter. Some of which I went over in this post from the spoilers thread.

The entrance on Onigashima seems to take some reference from shrines devoted to Inari Okami, japanese fox god who represents, agriculture, prosperity, entertainment, to name a few. Several shrines devoted to it have kitsune at the base of the entrance, similar to Onigashima.

The Fushimi Inari Taisha, head Shrine for Inari

The entrance for Onigashima makes sense, as it's a party full of life and fun, as well as lots of food.

Inari also has ties to manufacturing and swordsmiths. And we know one fox in Wano who loves to look after swords. Plus the manufacturing bit ties in with what Kaido and Orochi do for a living together, they work together to produce weapons for each other. The fire festival a celebration of their pact.
But yeah, solid chapter, but felt pretty short. Still, there were a ton of good beats.

Last edited:
Very nice chapter. The art and layout of evil HQ was stunning, the Beast Pirates partying is so much fun.

Onigashima has become something else. The anime gave me the impression there was a wasteland outside the skull. This feels more like sacred temple grounds. The tiny fleet ships give it a fantastic sense of scale. The mansion in the back is massive with multiple levels, platforms, exposed elevated paths, water ways and bridges like a palacial hotel. It's going to be a VERY interesting ground for a war to take place. Seeing all the Beast Pirates marching to Queen and Apoo's beats brought it all to life beautifully.

The alliance putting on costumes and sneaking in is starting to smell like WCI Tea Party shenanigans. Kin'emon finally impressed me with a superb DF technique, for evil Kanjuro this would just be serving up breakfast. These fodder get ups are amusing to look at, but I'm soooo glad they're getting their original costumes back when it's time. I still wonder if they're going to start kicking ass the moment they barge in or they're going to try to be discreet enough to blow up a second cake in Big Mom's face.

The Tobi Roppo and Drake look glorious. You can see Oda tried to restrain himself to make them all relatively human designs, even Mr. Fishmen teeth. The first impression is that these characters are meant to be taken seriously. They're next in line to replace an All-Star like Queen, though Numbers may like a word. It's honestly bizzare to compare them to the BMP veterans as Oven, Daifuku, Persopero and Compote who all had wild body proportions and very eccentric styles of dress. One explanation for these is that the Flying Six are Zoan users, and therefore Oda wants to heavily contrast how they look as humans versus how they look as beasts. Think of how ordinary and suave Rob Lucci looks before he transforms into a hulking monster cat. This extensive introduction reminds me of how the CP9 were all finally introduced at Enies Lobby. It's a very real possibility these are the Middle and Weak trio's 1v1 opponents, minus Drake of course.

Page One is back and he's the black sheep of the group now. Uruti (his sister?) is especially terrifying despite looking so cute. What exactly is Page One's great shame? That a Soba shop owner ran away from him? Doubtful. I believe Page One was injured by Soba Mask in some capacity, maybe even knocked out. He's had a full 10 days to recover since then. Luffy was stabbed, dried up, and poisoned by Crocodile and that led to his all-time record of 5 days sleeping to recover. At the same time, Page One passed on the information about Soba Mask to Drake which was only possible if he remained concious. Sending him back to Sanji would be too cruel for the poor guy so I wonder who he'll battle this time to regain some honor. At least he can take pride in being my favorite Beast Pirate design in human and hybrid form.

The Samurai sinking their ships was pretty ominous. These guys are not going back Wano. If we get the bad WCI wedding scenario, the no name Samurai could get completely massacred and have to be replaced by the Grand Fleet, Whitebeard Pirates, and Wano civilians in the second battle. That would be one devastating way to up the stakes make it clear you don't mess with two Yonkou. But for now, the party continues as Numbers and the Big Mom family enter the stage next.

S

Shura

Chapter is good...

God Usopp strikes again

The resolve of Kinemon is good but destroying ships is not so cool

For the people who were dissatisfied with disguise, it is sure blissful that it will be gone when someone wants to remove or if some kind of accident happens.....

Luffy looking buffed in that look and Zoro is looking nice and Nami is too hot.....Kidd and Luffy leading at front and Jimbei doing his job as helmsman

Damn, double spreads are cool and looking great....

Onigaishima is very big and I am feeling the tone of war.....

Oh, btb the war has already started with taking out the lookouts

Queen is funky as usual....for now, he got more personality than King....

Where is Hawkins though??..

Flying six are highlight of this chapter. They are looking cool, however, last 2 pages translation seems little weird. Need to wait for official translation

Overall, nice chapter

3.5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.