Do you like the Live Action Adaption?

• No, it's not a good adaption.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rottkins

✯ ✧ 𝔾 𝕠 𝕕 𝕠 𝕗 𝕃 𝕚 𝕖 𝕤 ✧ ✯
Why? Netflix even did put sex in a series about Witch (a comic book that was targeted for young girls) nothing is off-limits then
it was a distaster crash, and it would still be even without it

I choose to hope and pray that it doesn't happen. But if it does (which seems likely since they have Intimacy Coordinators working with characters like Helmeppo, and others) I hope it's done well and not just for the sake of it.
have to agree there, anything forced never goes well

I feel that this live action will be perfect. The fact that there are not asians involved in the casting, aside from Zoro, is already a huge thing. And the actors fit well to the characters, Luffy included. I think many of you will be disappointed by the fact it won't be disappoing at all...Lol
American doesn't always mean bad series. Japanese live action are much worse than it

My sources are telling me this won't be a 1 on 1 adaptation and they are actually using some of Oda's old ideas. For example Zoro will start as part of Buggy's crew.
Your source is @Cross_Marian?
But it would be cool ngl

Why? Netflix even did put sex in a series about Witch (a comic book that was targeted for young girls) nothing is off-limits then
That old comic series got a Netflix adaption?? I used to read this back in the day.
What did they turn it into??😱

New interview with showrunner Matt Owens from our favorite ONE PIECE YouTuber Nuxtaku.

Most of the interview is talking with him about Netflix’s other failed live action productions like Death Note and Cowboy Bebop. There are some interesting things to note even if it’s a big interview. He aims to make the show an improvement to Netflix’s previous anime adaptions, there will be no romance between the Strawhats (He’s definitely doing this out of respect of Oda), Sanji will be more of a flirt than a simp, and there will be lots of Easter eggs fans should look out for in each episode.

I got to say, he’s definitely proving himself to be a huge fan and wanting to make this show succeed. And Nux did ask some good questions overall despite my feelings on him as a content creator. It’s a good watch.

Someone transcribed just the OPLA parts of the interview, if you don't feel like watching an hour long video. Still, at least go drop the creator a like.

Nux Taku: I don’t know if you’re aware, but a lot of people on the One Piece Live Action Adaptation Discord server are really excited that we’re collabing!

Matt: They do! I’m really glad that all 50 of those people are excited for what we’re trying to accomplish.

NT: Even if there’s only 50 of them, they manage to message me all the time (to make the video)

M: Jokes. It’s a good group of people, and they have been really really supportive, and they send very nice messages. They made us a really nice compilation video of messages and hopes and all of this stuff that was really really sweet, so shout out to the One Piece Live Action Discord server.

NT: This started because we were talking to each other and I said my hopes are not very high for OPLA. I was super surprised at how passionate you are about One Piece. I was like, woah, if someone could make a live action One Piece, it would be someone like this.

M: I’m doing my best.

NT: The rambunctiousness you see in anime cannot be 1:1 translated with a live action cast.

M: Yeah. And you know what, honestly, that I would say to people who are like “just do the same thing. It’s 1:1.”

NT: It’s an extremely difficult job.

M: It is.

NT: The example I gave you earlier is, in One Piece very often, like, Luffy sees a mountain of food and start shovelling all the food in his mouth, and his belly gets really stretched out and he becomes a round rubber ball. You cannot do that in a live action setting. It’s impossible.

M: It doesn’t work.

NT: You need to tiptoe between being faithful to the source material but not too faithful to anime cadence.

M: Yeah. That’s what we have to ???. It’s non-committal.

Matt, about Ed in Cowboy Bebop LA: Like you said, this is a cautionary tale.

NT: Precisely. You can’t 1:1 adapt, or you get that. I’m sorry, it hurts to watch.

M: To everyone in the comments who’s like, “See? This is why you should just never try it.” That’s not the lesson to take away from this. It’s a hard line to walk.

NT: I can’t see a world where you’d actually make everyone happy. That’s the problem. You’re gonna have some people say that the adaptation wasn’t faithful enough, or the adaptation was too faithful. You have to find your line. I don’t know.

M: You have to find the balance. It’s tough. I feel for everything that went into this scene.

NT: Same. I wonder how it would work if Netflix decided to do a live action for an anime taking place in a different part of the same world. Let’s say One Piece, a scene that happened a hundred years before the main story. A mini arc with new characters introduced, so it doesn’t have to be faithful to the characters, but it does have to be faithful to the world.

M: Do you think people would want that though? It would feel like a cop out, in a way. The same people who wouldn’t want an adaptation of the source material itself wouldn’t want it to be touched. They’d be like, “Oh, well, they’re just doing something different in the world because it doesn’t step on anything. They’re trying to play it safe. They’re admitting it can’t be done.” It’s like you said, you can never please everybody. Yeah, it’d be dope to have a live action series about Roger and his adventures, and the stuff we got to see in the Wano flashbacks, but if that was the thing you were leading with, A) I don’t know how much new audiences would know and understand—

NT: Can I just say I love that you love One Piece? For me that’s the coolest thing here. It’s not just a cash grab because One Piece is famous, no, you love One Piece.

M: The thing that got me this job was when I first met with Tomorrow Studios, when they had the rights, I said to them in my first meeting: “I don’t know if this can be done. But I also know if it’s gonna get fucked up, I have to be the one to try and fuck it up. ‘Cause you’re not gonna meet anybody in this industry that knows or loves One Piece more than me.”

NT: Respect!

M: That was the pitch that I made. So I do think that we’re doing it well, but back then, I was like, “I have no fucking idea if we can pull this off or not.” But it is. I couldn’t sit here and watch somebody else try and do it. I do love One Piece. You can’t see my entire display case, but—

NT: I saw your Naruto mug. Anyway…

NT: Do you have like, romances in the One Piece adaptation? Please say you—

M: NO! See this is what I’m talking about. About feeling that you have to insert things to ‘fit’ what a television series is supposed to be. The Straw Hats, if you have to qualify their relationships, are siblings. It’s a family. There is no romance between the Straw Hats.

NT: I’m not gonna lie, you’re not painting Sanji a good picture here.

M: I refuse to have any Sanji slander in this conversation right now. Sanji is perfect.

NT: I’m just saying if they’re all siblings, then he fits that onii-chan anime trope very well, doesn’t he?

NT: I’m so grateful you don’t have any romances like Luffy being into Nami or something.

M: No! That kills the characters.

NT: Do you have Sanji being like, a womanizer? In the show.

M: In a way. Our version of Sanji is very flirtatious. He loves women. He’s very flirtatious, but he’s not… his eyes never turn into hearts, that’s not a thing that we’re doing. He’s not as much of a simp. He’s more of a flirt than a simp, that’s how I’ll put it.

NT: I respect that.

M: You can’t lose that part of him, but it has to be modulated.

NT: I can see why Netflix would be like, “Yeah, keep the sexual harassment from that Sanji guy at bay.”

M: Yeah, that part of it is kind of looked down upon, so we tweaked it a little bit.

NT: I understand.

NT: Do you have any Wii music in the live action One Piece?

M: We will as soon as I talk to my editor tomorrow.

NT: Yes! That would be huge. You see Luffy sneaking up to Buggy, he’s holding up some meat in typical Luffy fashion, then the guard sees him, and it just dum-dum-dum, du-ru-rum. And they just continue with the thing. I would be so happy.

M: I wonder if we can get that cleared.

NT: Yo! You might. I don’t know. Is Wii music copyrighted? Is it licensed? Can you license it? Please!

M: I’m gonna go to my execs tomorrow and be like okay, so I need a couple hundred thousand dollars to license this background music from the Nintendo Wii to put into the show. Trust me, it’s worth it.

NT, on the mispronunciation of names in M. Night Shyamalan’s Avatar: In the One Piece show you’ll see Zoro, “hey Laffy, what’s up?”

M: No, fuck off, man! No Laffys here!

NT: Hey LAFFY!

M: I have a whole new round of questions for Oda next time I talk to him.

NT: With all these precautionary tales out of the way, how confident are you in the One Piece Live Action adaptation?

M: You know what, after watching all this stuff, I feel very confident. We don’t change the characters to fit… Like I’ve said before, “we need love interests, we need relatable Western protagonists,” all this kinda stuff. Look. I don’t think we have any lines like this. [FAYE SCREAMING]. I can pretty safely say we don’t have any lines like that. But some people might not like all of the dialogue. But you know, I think we have really found the sweet spot between paying homage to the source material which is always the point, always our North star, and having to make some changes because it’s a different medium almost 30 years later. I think if people actually keep an open mind, they’ll see the love. And the other thing that I want to say, cause this is my favourite part about my job, pay fucking attention. Because the Easter Eggs? Look at everything that we know about the One Piece world now vs. when the East Blue manga was being done. Watch for Easter Eggs. Pay attention to any wanted poster, newspaper, even just bits of dialogue. Pay attention. Pause things. Screenshot.

Someone transcribed just the OPLA parts of the interview, if you don't feel like watching an hour long video. Still, at least go drop the creator a like.

Nux Taku: I don’t know if you’re aware, but a lot of people on the One Piece Live Action Adaptation Discord server are really excited that we’re collabing!

Matt: They do! I’m really glad that all 50 of those people are excited for what we’re trying to accomplish.

NT: Even if there’s only 50 of them, they manage to message me all the time (to make the video)

M: Jokes. It’s a good group of people, and they have been really really supportive, and they send very nice messages. They made us a really nice compilation video of messages and hopes and all of this stuff that was really really sweet, so shout out to the One Piece Live Action Discord server.

NT: This started because we were talking to each other and I said my hopes are not very high for OPLA. I was super surprised at how passionate you are about One Piece. I was like, woah, if someone could make a live action One Piece, it would be someone like this.

M: I’m doing my best.

NT: The rambunctiousness you see in anime cannot be 1:1 translated with a live action cast.

M: Yeah. And you know what, honestly, that I would say to people who are like “just do the same thing. It’s 1:1.”

NT: It’s an extremely difficult job.

M: It is.

NT: The example I gave you earlier is, in One Piece very often, like, Luffy sees a mountain of food and start shovelling all the food in his mouth, and his belly gets really stretched out and he becomes a round rubber ball. You cannot do that in a live action setting. It’s impossible.

M: It doesn’t work.

NT: You need to tiptoe between being faithful to the source material but not too faithful to anime cadence.

M: Yeah. That’s what we have to ???. It’s non-committal.

Matt, about Ed in Cowboy Bebop LA: Like you said, this is a cautionary tale.

NT: Precisely. You can’t 1:1 adapt, or you get that. I’m sorry, it hurts to watch.

M: To everyone in the comments who’s like, “See? This is why you should just never try it.” That’s not the lesson to take away from this. It’s a hard line to walk.

NT: I can’t see a world where you’d actually make everyone happy. That’s the problem. You’re gonna have some people say that the adaptation wasn’t faithful enough, or the adaptation was too faithful. You have to find your line. I don’t know.

M: You have to find the balance. It’s tough. I feel for everything that went into this scene.

NT: Same. I wonder how it would work if Netflix decided to do a live action for an anime taking place in a different part of the same world. Let’s say One Piece, a scene that happened a hundred years before the main story. A mini arc with new characters introduced, so it doesn’t have to be faithful to the characters, but it does have to be faithful to the world.

M: Do you think people would want that though? It would feel like a cop out, in a way. The same people who wouldn’t want an adaptation of the source material itself wouldn’t want it to be touched. They’d be like, “Oh, well, they’re just doing something different in the world because it doesn’t step on anything. They’re trying to play it safe. They’re admitting it can’t be done.” It’s like you said, you can never please everybody. Yeah, it’d be dope to have a live action series about Roger and his adventures, and the stuff we got to see in the Wano flashbacks, but if that was the thing you were leading with, A) I don’t know how much new audiences would know and understand—

NT: Can I just say I love that you love One Piece? For me that’s the coolest thing here. It’s not just a cash grab because One Piece is famous, no, you love One Piece.

M: The thing that got me this job was when I first met with Tomorrow Studios, when they had the rights, I said to them in my first meeting: “I don’t know if this can be done. But I also know if it’s gonna get fucked up, I have to be the one to try and fuck it up. ‘Cause you’re not gonna meet anybody in this industry that knows or loves One Piece more than me.”

NT: Respect!

M: That was the pitch that I made. So I do think that we’re doing it well, but back then, I was like, “I have no fucking idea if we can pull this off or not.” But it is. I couldn’t sit here and watch somebody else try and do it. I do love One Piece. You can’t see my entire display case, but—

NT: I saw your Naruto mug. Anyway…

NT: Do you have like, romances in the One Piece adaptation? Please say you—

M: NO! See this is what I’m talking about. About feeling that you have to insert things to ‘fit’ what a television series is supposed to be. The Straw Hats, if you have to qualify their relationships, are siblings. It’s a family. There is no romance between the Straw Hats.

NT: I’m not gonna lie, you’re not painting Sanji a good picture here.

M: I refuse to have any Sanji slander in this conversation right now. Sanji is perfect.

NT: I’m just saying if they’re all siblings, then he fits that onii-chan anime trope very well, doesn’t he?

NT: I’m so grateful you don’t have any romances like Luffy being into Nami or something.

M: No! That kills the characters.

NT: Do you have Sanji being like, a womanizer? In the show.

M: In a way. Our version of Sanji is very flirtatious. He loves women. He’s very flirtatious, but he’s not… his eyes never turn into hearts, that’s not a thing that we’re doing. He’s not as much of a simp. He’s more of a flirt than a simp, that’s how I’ll put it.

NT: I respect that.

M: You can’t lose that part of him, but it has to be modulated.

NT: I can see why Netflix would be like, “Yeah, keep the sexual harassment from that Sanji guy at bay.”

M: Yeah, that part of it is kind of looked down upon, so we tweaked it a little bit.

NT: I understand.

NT: Do you have any Wii music in the live action One Piece?

M: We will as soon as I talk to my editor tomorrow.

NT: Yes! That would be huge. You see Luffy sneaking up to Buggy, he’s holding up some meat in typical Luffy fashion, then the guard sees him, and it just dum-dum-dum, du-ru-rum. And they just continue with the thing. I would be so happy.

M: I wonder if we can get that cleared.

NT: Yo! You might. I don’t know. Is Wii music copyrighted? Is it licensed? Can you license it? Please!

M: I’m gonna go to my execs tomorrow and be like okay, so I need a couple hundred thousand dollars to license this background music from the Nintendo Wii to put into the show. Trust me, it’s worth it.

NT, on the mispronunciation of names in M. Night Shyamalan’s Avatar: In the One Piece show you’ll see Zoro, “hey Laffy, what’s up?”

M: No, fuck off, man! No Laffys here!

NT: Hey LAFFY!

M: I have a whole new round of questions for Oda next time I talk to him.

NT: With all these precautionary tales out of the way, how confident are you in the One Piece Live Action adaptation?

M: You know what, after watching all this stuff, I feel very confident. We don’t change the characters to fit… Like I’ve said before, “we need love interests, we need relatable Western protagonists,” all this kinda stuff. Look. I don’t think we have any lines like this. [FAYE SCREAMING]. I can pretty safely say we don’t have any lines like that. But some people might not like all of the dialogue. But you know, I think we have really found the sweet spot between paying homage to the source material which is always the point, always our North star, and having to make some changes because it’s a different medium almost 30 years later. I think if people actually keep an open mind, they’ll see the love. And the other thing that I want to say, cause this is my favourite part about my job, pay fucking attention. Because the Easter Eggs? Look at everything that we know about the One Piece world now vs. when the East Blue manga was being done. Watch for Easter Eggs. Pay attention to any wanted poster, newspaper, even just bits of dialogue. Pay attention. Pause things. Screenshot.
I'm keeping an open mind for this and am actually kinda excited
As it was clear to anyone with a brain, things will have to be toned down significantly which isn't a problem as long as the essence of tge characters stay the same.
And the thing about easter eggs in particular is a nice nod to manga readers who can, even if they don't enjoy the series, still find those little tidbits