Speculations Serious Thread. Did Oda Quietly Admit He Messed Up With Aramaki’s Portrayal In Wano?

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit, it does kind of feel like the Weevil-GB situation is Oda deciding he had to toss Aramaki a bone after going a little hard with Film Red promo in Wano.

Maybe I’m crazy for feeling this way, but it almost feels like Oda is quietly admitting he messed up with Ryokugyu’s portrayal. Like I kind of doubt Aramaki was always planned to be the one to take in Weevil, and this whole subplot feels a little out of nowhere. Obviously we were always going to get Weevil clone info in the arc about Vegapunk, but the specific events around it are a bit weird and random.

The fact that Oda is trying to give Aramaki some respect after the fact actually restores a lot of my confidence in how he’ll handle the admirals forward.

Edit:
When I say “serious thread” I mean it. Obviously Weevil is not Primebeard level (and anyone who actually thinks people are serious when they say this is an idiot).

All of that pretense is dropped here. I’m just saying that this plotline feels off to me.

Second edit:
This is not a powerscaling thread. I don’t care about the circumstances of the fight or even if Weevil and Aramaki actually fought. That’s not relevant to the point I’m making.

The point is that Oda decided to have Aramaki take in Weevil, seemingly out of nowhere. Why narratively did he do this?

Last edited:
Chill down, we don't know what happened since everything was off paneled. We don't know if it was a low diff, extreme diff or if they even fought at all (If Weevil surrendered cuz he had hostages).

If Aramaki managed to defeat alone Weevil mid diff or bellow it's a W.
If Aramaki high/extreme diffed it is an l.
And if Weevil surrendered cuz of Hostages then it's an even bigger L.

Point is; we don't know what happened in-between so we can't really gauge it.

Chill down, we don't know what happened since everything was off paneled. We don't know if it was a low diff, extreme diff or if they even fought at all (If Weevil surrendered cuz he had hostages).
Death Usagi, a Japanese speaker, literally confirmed that it was a low diff on Twitter.

https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...eg-diffd-by-aramaki-there-is-no-debate.37124/

OP Scans either messed up the translation or are showing some agenda (like with the Zoro sweat stains).

The actually dialogue isn’t Bakkin saying “I could do anything.” It’s Bakkin saying “Weevil couldn’t do anything.”
Post automatically merged:

No one except delusional crackheads actually though Aramaki wouldn't be able to best Weevil lol.
This isn't some separate hype, this is basically what's required of a Navy Admiral.
Of course. This is basically what’s required of a Navy Admiral. Which is my point.

Im putting all pretense and trolling aside. Obviously I don’t think Weevil is Primebeard level (no shit Sherlock, none of us actually think this).

I’m just saying that the Weevil scenario feels odd to me and not just out of nowhere but also as if it wasn’t planned very long ago.

Death Usagi, a Japanese speaker, literally confirmed that it was a low diff on Twitter.

https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...eg-diffd-by-aramaki-there-is-no-debate.37124/

OP Scans either messed up the translation or are showing some agenda (like with the Zoro sweat stains).

The actually dialogue isn’t Bakkin saying “I could do anything.” It’s Bakkin saying “Weevil couldn’t do anything.”

Of course. This is basically what’s required of a Navy Admiral. Which is my point.

Im putting all pretense and trolling aside. Obviously I don’t think Weevil is Primebeard (no shit Sherlock, none of us actually think this).

I’m just saying that the Weevil scenario feels odd to me and not just out of where but also as if it wasn’t planned very long ago.
Assuming that this is actually right, "Weevil couldn't do anything" doesn't debunk shit.

It might as well means, Weevil couldn't do anything because his mommy was taken hostage.
Weevil couldn't do anything because the whole village was taken hostage.

Yes. Oda said that he would draw the Admirals with respect. But Shanks is Oda's golden child alongside Luffy. Plus his movie are getting promoted. So when it's all come down to Shanks and an Admiral, Oda would choose Shanks.

I would honestly do the same btw. Knowing that Shanks is one of the most popular OP characters and his movie is coming up, I obviously won't make him look bad while Aramaki is essentially new so his anti-feats won't matter much on his debut since he will stack more feats in the future.

In summary, Aramaki just got a bad timing for his introduction that's all.

Assuming that this is actually right, "Weevil couldn't do anything" doesn't debunk shit.

It might as well means, Weevil couldn't do anything because his mommy was taken hostage.
Weevil couldn't do anything because the whole village was taken hostage.
I don’t even necessarily care about the fight or the difficulty or what happened.

This is not a powerscaling thread. I’m trying to gauge narratively why Oda would just randomly throw this into the story because it feels off to me.

Kinda fells like it but not sure
It might've been Greenbull's real introduction at the first, you know before using him as promotion
That’s exactly what I’m talking about.
This feels off to me like either it’s a random new plotline or some old one that Oda wrote back in.

No
Powerscaling weevil or ryokugyu of a scene weve never seen doesn't help either

Either way he still neg diffed king and queen
I don’t care about powerscaling, read the second edit of the thread.

Im asking, why did Oda decide to have Weevil get captured by Aramaki? It feels random to me.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince

Im putting all pretense and trolling aside. Obviously I don’t think Weevil is Primebeard level (no shit Sherlock, none of us actually think this).

I’m just saying that the Weevil scenario feels odd to me and not just out of nowhere but also as if it wasn’t planned very long ago.
Not really.
Oda kinda admitted that Weevil had an important role to play to his editor before i think and that editor said it out.
Basically, this stuff must've been planned even before Wano was over.

There is nothing shocking in the revelation that Ryukogyuu captured Weevil.
So i don't see why Oda has to admit he "messed" up with Ryukogyuu's portrayal in Wano.
Both are consistent.

There is nothing shocking in the revelation that Ryukogyuu captured Weevil.
So i don't see why Oda has to admit he "messed" up with Ryukogyuu's portrayal in Wano.
Both are consistent.
I’m not saying that Oda HAS to admit anything.

All I’m saying is that to me the Weevil moment feels like a bad attempt by Oda to give Aramaki something after Wano.

Like narratively this doesn’t flow well at all imo

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
I’m not saying that Oda HAS to admit anything.

All I’m saying is that to me the Weevil moment feels like a bad attempt by Oda to give Aramaki something after Wano.

Like narratively this doesn’t flow well at all imo
Why though?

I remember thinking mid Wano during the break after Act 2 where we got to see the events outside Wano that Weevil must be on Sphinx Island.
Especially since the Island was termed "an Island in the New World" & the background resembled Sphinx as shown at the start of Wano.

Drawing Weevil here kinda hinted that Weevil was at Sphinx even before it was confirmed.
Now it makes sense since Oda comes full circle with that. As i said, this plotline must've been in the works even before Wano was over.
You can replace Ryukogyuu with any Admiral & nothing changes since all of them are expected to capture Weevil.

Ryukogyuu's portrayal as a Navy Admiral is fine. He might be the weakest of the Yonko/Admiral pool but even then he's a solid Top Tier with a powerful Logia. :kayneshrug:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about.
This feels off to me like either it’s a random new plotline or some old one that Oda wrote back in.

I don’t care about powerscaling, read the second edit of the thread.

Im asking, why did Oda decide to have Weevil get captured by Aramaki? It feels random to me.
He needed an admiral to capture weevil and ryokugyu made the most sense to him
He probably has kizaru and fujitora doing other things behind the scenes

You can replace Ryukogyuu with any Admiral & nothing changes since all of them are expected to capture Weevil.
This is what I’m saying though. By using Aramaki, we’ve convoluted the timeline more and it isn’t clear if Aramaki went to Sphinx before or after Wano, and it’s also confusing why Aramaki was so obsessed with impressing Akainu if he’d already gotten Weevil.

Like this could have just been Fujitora or Kizaru and it wouldn’t have been nearly as convoluted imo which makes it feel like a narratively retroactive choice.