Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Gotta say, Stussy meeting the strawhats off panel isn't a great sign.
Well, she still got her shining moment in front of Zoro, an intro box and now is going to scout with Sanji. I'm still around 25-30% I gave her after the last chapter, but for now it looks to me that Bonney and Stussy will sail with SH, they don't really have anywhere else to go. And I'd hate to see them captured.

I'm not sure how Vegapunk's situation is going to be resolved, they are basically androids (remember that Atlas had to be treated by Franky, not Chopper), and I wonder if anyone can command them, now that could be a twist! Frankly speaking, I don't see any Vegapunks sailing on Sunny, and I wonder how Oda can manage that other than destroying all of them.
Post automatically merged:

2 more weeks and my therapy will relieve me of these furry tendencies.
Gotta say, this avi is the worst of them all...:jay-he: stay strong, at least it's not for 92 days!

I'm no longer interested in this thread anymore, but i just came in to say that i hope to god that Bonney does NOT join (can't believe that fraud Mr Morj thinks she's a good idea). She's been downright annoying with chasing Vegapunk away and Oda dragging out her sob story with Kuma. Seriously it's been 4 chapters already and she's STILL staring at the Kuma bubble. Bonney's character so far to me is just another boring damsel in distress. She's by far the worst supernova in a arc post time skip we've had. She also ruined the pacing for me of what was a fine arc before, now slowed down to almost snail's pace. The only reason this arc still hasn't ended is because of her.

:kidwat::lawsigh:

I like other people thought that Vivi might join the crew next, but with the revelation this chapter that she's safe and sound, the chances of that happening aren't looking good either.

Now if there was anybody to join this arc, i'd only want Vegapunk. Hopefully this isn't another disappointment like Yamato where a character is built up to join for the entire arc only for them to not end up joining.

I might have a little more faith in Vegapunk joining (either the old man, or if he transferred his consciousness to one of his satellites (old man Vegapunk in Lilith's body would be a really cool idea.), since this whole arc had been centered around getting Vegapunk out of Egghead and out of harm's way of the World Government.

Narrative and portrayal wise, it would look really bad on Luffy and the Straw Hats as a new Yonko crew if they can't even protect and rescue one old man and six robots. Building and writing a whole arc of Vegapunk getting rescued only for it to not happen in the end would also be equally as bad, as everybody's efforts in beating Lucci and CP0, Stussy's betrayal and having the whole crew look for him, plus drawing the threats of Kizaru, Saint Saturn and countless marine battleships would have been for nothing.

But what do i know, this is Loda we are talking here, and we just had the utter disappointments that was Carrot and Yamato only in the last arc, so who knows.... i won't be surprised if nobody joins by the end of this egghead arc and Loda disappoints me again.

:kayneshrug:

Unfortunately, Oda does have a tendency to downplay female characters in his manga... He doesn't have anyone like Erza from Fairy Tail, or Kohaku from Dr.Stone, or Tatsumaki from One punch man. Even supposedly crazy strong female characters end up being overpowered by men.

Edit: I actually loved Dr.Stone manga with how everyone had their special role and talent, e.g. Kohaku wasn't the strongest, her super talent was actually her sight. Or let's talk about Suika - a weak girl just like that Toko or Tama, and she was superb at scouting and spying as she was really good at hiding and going unnoticed, which is a skill, not a hax fruit like Tama had... So yeah, you can write a story with equal representation, or you can have women in refrigerators (hate this trope with all my heart).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Oda does have a tendency to downplay female characters in his manga... He doesn't have anyone like Erza from Fairy Tail, or Kohaku from Dr.Stone, or Tatsumaki from One punch man. Even supposedly crazy strong female characters end up being overpowered by men.
Not in term of storytelling. And yes we have someone like Ezra and Kohaku : Yamato

The fact of absolutely wanting to turn around the gender stereotypes
"men=strong and women=emotional" into "men=emotional and Women=strong" is helping reduce toxic masculinity for men that is a real problem, but isn't really helping the women with sexism, it just put another things that they must perform at. Another mental burden.

Women needs to be respected as they act and as they are not how they should be. Oda is doing a great job at that. At least in the stories of those women.

Oda is creating amazing women, so lets respect them.

Not in term of storytelling. And yes we have someone like Ezra and Kohaku : Yamato

"men=strong and women=emotional" into "men=emotional and Women=strong" is helping reduce toxic masculinity for men that is a real problem, but isn't really helping the women with sexism, it just put another things that they must perform at. Another mental burden.

Women needs to be respected as they act and as they are not how they should be. Oda is doing a great job at that. At least in the stories of those women.
Do you agree with everything Oda does? :seriously:

Do you agree with everything Oda does? :seriously:
No. For example I think the sexualisation of women is a big Problem
I also think that Oda went a bit too far with Sanji's portrayal and his toxic masculinity
I also think that Oda's portrayal of trans people is far from perfect (sometimes transphobe) and needs work
I also think that sometimes Oda uses somes facilities in term of storytelling to get away with problems

But overall, it doesn't affect the big picture in term storytelling of One Piece that I think is amazing.

Last edited:

I'm not cheering for flipping the roles, I'm more talking about variety, some men are strong physically, some men excel intellectually, some men are super good-looking, some have artistic minds, other have extremely good emotional intellect. Same goes for women, everyone has some strength and weaknesses. In Oda's story there is a tendency of having many strong men and a lot of "damsels in distress" which is another trope I dislike.

As for Yamato, with their narrative "I want to be Oden, so I am a man" it doesn't feel the same as with Erza who is simply a strong woman. And frankly speaking, I would enjoy their story a lot more if they defeated Kaido together with Luffy, but Oda does what Oda wants. If anything, I think Ulti comes the closest to characters I mentioned, she's durable as hell and even had a cool clash with Luffy!

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the manga (although I dislike some characters and can be annoyed with pacing on a weekly read), so it's not like I hate Oda or his piece. Overall in Wano Oda did have a lot of progress in terms of gender representation, so let's hope for the better in the future.

lot of "damsels in distress" which is another trope I dislike.
Not really recently.

As for Yamato, with their narrative "I want to be Oden, so I am a man" it doesn't feel the same as with Erza who is simply a strong woman.
Because you said so, I personnally like their quirk.

Usually, Luffy only steps in to give an ally hand to women. He doesn't make the job for them unless they ask him to.

Nami asked Luffy for Help but she was not portrayed as a damzell in destress, rather than a girl desesperate to find a solution. Luffy in that case acts like a weapon for Nami. Same with Vivi. The real work was done by her, what Luffy did was just to give her a space that she could have a voice in.

Luffy did saved Robin, but she was never portrayed has week, she fought until the end (putting her jaw on the floor to stop herself from going)

In the case of Shiraoshi, the one in danger was her father and people.

The case I would agree too is rebecca, who is indeed portrayed as a girl that really need help.

Even Sanji (where the trop is reversed) is not treated as an average princess, rather than a real actor of his situation.

weren't you saying that people who prefer Yamato over Carrot as a crew member are sexist?

The only true other SH is back in this chapter, Vivi.

forget this Stussy madness, she is the new Carrot now?

For Bonney, i dont want her to join, as i dont like the character that much, but for sure she is the one right now with more chances, especially with all the drama behind Kuma story, and his friendship with Dragon.

forget this Stussy madness, she is the new Carrot now?

For Bonney, i dont want her to join, as i dont like the character that much, but for sure she is the one right now with more chances, especially with all the drama behind Kuma story, and his friendship with Dragon.
Stussy is just fun to root for, I need therapy after those months of being a Yamato Stan who got traumatized by Wano's ending.

I can see both Stussy and Bonney sailing with SH after Egghead, so Stussy vs Bonney can become a new Yamato vs Carrot I guess? Although here I think Bonney won't join, she's fits better with Revos (Kuma's legacy), and with Stussy, who knows :optimistic: