Character Discussion Oda's failure with Kaido

What do you think went wrong with Kaido's character and he was such a letdown ?

Im not counting pre ts because we barely knew anything about him besides his name & his skirmish with Shanks, but when he was established as the main bad guy of the Yonko saga back in PH (10y ago) i believe most of us had high expectations for him.

Even as the main antagonist in his own arc he couldnt even make it higher than top50 characters.

I would like to hear your opinions about Oda's mistakes regarding his character, just try to not turn this into a powerlevel thread it has nothing to do with how strong he was.

@SakazOuki @Monkey D Theories @Monster Zoro's Tesla Supplier @milluki @MonsterZoro @MarineHQ @Tejas @L55 @Roronoa-sama @Blazing Lion @BOCCHI

Last edited:
Its 2 major things imo:

- Not addressing his Oni lineage and how that factors into his whole mindset as an antagonist. We only got an allusion to this with him and Yamato, but theres clearly history there that Oda did not elaborate on

- No "visible" awakening. He talked and gloated about it, yet Oda never explicitly showed it. If he was already using it, why not say it?

Thats really it. He was fine otherwise. Ive said it many times already, but Wano ironically needed 20 more chapters. More Awakening fights in general, more backstory for the villain, more closure for Wano's characters.

That said, he can still technically address this on a future plotline if Kaido isnt dead, but it just makes Wano look worse than an inexplicable with certain things.

Im not counting pre ts because we barely knew anything about him besides his name & his skirmish with Shanks, but when he was established as the main bad guy of the Yonko saga back in PH (10y ago) i believe most of us had high expectations for him.

Even as the main antagonist in his own arc he couldnt even make ti higher than top50 characters.

I would like to hear your opinions about Oda's mistakes regarding his character, just try to not turn this into a powerlevel thread it has nothing to do with how strong he was.

@SakazOuki @Monkey D Theories @Monster Zoro's Tesla Supplier @milluki @MonsterZoro @MarineHQ @Tejas @L55 @Roronoa-sama @Blazing Lion @BOCCHI
You mean to tell me a literal ship was above him? :pepemy:

Even as the main antagonist in his own arc he couldnt even make ti higher than top50 characters.

This was around chap 990-1000.You know how much Kaido we had then almost negligible .
Kaido main strength character developement revolved post 1000+.
I am sure he will be top 30 now.
But yeah Oda didnt handle kaido at end properly

It's mostly a lack of exploring his background and he is not Kata or Doffy (these types of villains are more popular with the fans). Oda wanked Oden a little too much in the FB, too much time spent on side characters. Lack of clear motivations etc.

In the grand scheme of things he turns out to be just the strongest guy that needs to be defeated but his defeat does not result in the type of upheavel/chaos that people would expect from such a strong villain.

Wano as a whole has been paced very badly with side characters getting too much time and Kaido is not the evil edgy mastermind kind of villain. He is evil but his brutality overshadows the other aspects. I don't know the rankings but Queen can be higher than Kaido, maybe even King.

Who the fuck likes Rockstar?

i believe most of us had high expectations for him.
First of all stop saying that. No one had high expectations on him. Oda created high expectations for us.

Kaido's problem is how his character is portrayed, showed and developed.

He is portrayed as World Strongest Creature, someone evil that lives to fight and battle wars and has no problem in killing the weaks. But then besides Oden he didn't killed anyone onscreen, we just know that he killed that old lady offscreen(but who knows?).

Then he is all about JoyBoy and we left Wano without really knowing his true intentions at Wano, with JoyBoy, One Piece, Ancient Weapons etc.

His backstory doesn't explain why he is the way he is. Different from Big Mom that had a good developed backstory and Oda had plenty time for developing Kaido's backstory but he did it too late and too quickly.

He ended in such a anticlimatic way. We never heard his warcry although he won Luffy multiple times and even killed him. No awakening for the WSC while his opponent got his own during the fight to beat him. No good explanation why Luffy won final clash when Oda showed Kaido was overwhelming him and out of no where Luffy starts to win.

Bajrugan Gun vs Flame Kaido was the only One Piece clash in that way.
First of all Luffy was using a named attack against Kaido transformation/technique but not an attack he was just biting Luffy.
Second the clash lasted an eternity and they still dialogue between(Kaido with his mouth opening and Luffy perfectly understanding him).
Third Luffy overpowered him by a much extend that doesn't justify how "even" the clash was. Actually even in favor of Kaido.

Those are my points of why Kaido sucks.

I don’t think anything was bad about him. He was great from start to finish on the other hand his crew wasn’t as great. There’s nothing wrong with a villain who is just bad for the fucks of it. We don’t always need some insane backstory of the world shutting off a character which turned him evil.

I think the root of the failure is that Oda put him in the backseat for far too long, and in pretty much every aspect besides strength, someone else was outshining him.
Orochi was more villainous, Big Mom was more active, etc.

He spent most of the arc reacting or catching up to everyone else’s plans or actions. That led to him being one of the less interesting parts of the arc, which is terrible for someone who’s supposed to be the main antagonist.

I believe the problem is that by showing more of Kaido, it's either a repetition of what we know with big mom, or a spoiler of what's up with Rocks.
Given that Oda didn't feel like telling us about Rocks, we're left with this.. Insipid enemy that we have no idea what's up.

Isn’t that how people get high expectations in the first place? :catsure:
No because Odatards love to say that people created high expectations on their own like they do with Shanks.

Shanks is just a character. Oda never hyped him to be the strongest or most important/influent or any shit.

But Kaido is different. Oda is straigth saying that he is overpowered and many other shit that in the end wasn't so true.

No because Odatards love to say that people created high expectations on their own like they do with Shanks.

Shanks is just a character. Oda never hyped him to be the strongest or most important/influent or any shit.

But Kaido is different. Oda is straigth saying that he is overpowered and many other shit that in the end wasn't so true.
The problem was that Oda doesn't kill, and ok, that's what One Piece is.
But then the plot lacked distruction, Kaido didn't destroy anything.
The casstle should have crumbled under his hits, the ground quake and thunders destroying onigashima..