Fanclub Paleo Posting.

Used to be obsessed with paleontology as a kid.

But anyways, a species that shook me to the core when I first read up on it is the Daeodon.

''These hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) have been nicknamed “terminator pigs”, a reference to the fact that these brutish animals come from the same branch of the hoofed mammals, the ungulates, as pigs, however, recent research suggests that the eight or nine genera that make up the Entelodontidae family are probably more closely related to hippos and whales. However, a Daeodon model (member of the Entelodontidae), has been produced.''

''Fossilised footprints and bone bed discoveries suggest that these omnivores lived in small family groups and that during the Oligocene and the early part of the Miocene epoch, they became adapted to open, savannah-like habitats. The long legs would have helped them cover large territories as well as helping them to adapt to a pursuit hunting habit. The strong neck muscles helped support a skull that in some species was over a metre long. The thickly enamelled teeth and those large fangs located on both the upper and lower jaws would have given this prehistoric mammal a devastating bite.''

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2015/09/03/the-mighty-daeodon.html

I am shocked that a creature like this used to roam the lands, and grateful that they've been wiped off the face of the earth lol.

But anyways, a species that shook me to the core when I first read up on it is the Daeodon.

''These hoofed mammals (artiodactyls) have been nicknamed “terminator pigs”, a reference to the fact that these brutish animals come from the same branch of the hoofed mammals, the ungulates, as pigs, however, recent research suggests that the eight or nine genera that make up the Entelodontidae family are probably more closely related to hippos and whales. However, a Daeodon model (member of the Entelodontidae), has been produced.''

''Fossilised footprints and bone bed discoveries suggest that these omnivores lived in small family groups and that during the Oligocene and the early part of the Miocene epoch, they became adapted to open, savannah-like habitats. The long legs would have helped them cover large territories as well as helping them to adapt to a pursuit hunting habit. The strong neck muscles helped support a skull that in some species was over a metre long. The thickly enamelled teeth and those large fangs located on both the upper and lower jaws would have given this prehistoric mammal a devastating bite.''

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2015/09/03/the-mighty-daeodon.html

I am shocked that a creature like this used to roam the lands, and grateful that they've been wiped off the face of the earth lol.
Amongst the myriad of extinct creatures I think about and wonder "What if that was still around?", Daeodon is indeed not one of them. Lol.

The best description I ever saw of Daeodon was; "This doesn't look like a creature that existed, this looks like a creature that a fantasy artist drew for an Orc to ride around on". :milaugh:

Speaking of Daeodon, a YouTuber that goes by the name Digital Duck is currently working on a project called "Forgotten Bloodlines: Agate", a documentary that aims to bring to life the world of Late Oligocene/Early Miocene North America, recreating creatures from the Agate Fossil Beds of Nebraska. One the main creatures that is a focus of the project is Daeodon, in all of it's dreaded glory. :catsweat:

The project has released a couple of trailers and a short scene so far (all featuring our good friend Daeodon) and I must say, this is looking to be quite the spectacle, especially considering that this is a homemade, crowdfunded series.

They even got Nigel Marvin for narration. :shocking:

I'll give folk on here a tag whenever they finally release the first episode. :goyea:

I heard that we are on the last week of having No Piece. Time to fill this week with some more paleo posting to break up the wait. :araboss:

Coming up is one of my absolute favourite channels, CHimerasuchus.
CHimerasuchus makes videos covering extinct genera and species. What makes him stand out is what he focuses on, the Pseudosuchians and in particular the Crocodylomorphs.

Before CHimerasuchus, I legitimately had no idea how utterly diverse and downright bizarre the crocodilians and their extinct relatives used to be.

You want to see a duck-croc? Croc bros got you covered. :watchout:
Want to see a gracile cat-croc? Croc bros got you covered. :datas:
How about a tree climbing island croc? Croc bros got you covered. :hohoho:
What about a fully aquatic marine crocodile larping around as a scaly orca? Guess what? Croc bros got you covered. :denzimote:
You want to see a Madagascan, vegetarian croco-dog with a pug nose that looks like excellent pet material?

Hmm, that is a bit of a specifically odd request. :quest:

Would you believe me if I said... :hope:

That croc bros got you covered. :myman:

The thing that really shocked me upon learning about them from CHimerasuchus though was land crocs. We are currently in fact living in the only period in Earth's history that doesn't have land crocs since the time they first evolved. Not only did they exist but they were highly successful.

How successful?

They went all the way from ankle biting nuisances to straight up apex predators and most shockingly, the largest terrestrial carnivores of the Cenozoic (aka the Age of Mammals). :snoopy:

There is not an emote on this whole site that accurately conveys the absolute shock I felt upon learning that the largest land predators since the time of the dinosaurs were not mammals but long legged crocodiles. Hell, when the skull and teeth of this thing was first found, people legitimately thought for a moment that they discovered a therapod dinosaur lineage that survived the asteroid of the K-Pg mass extinction. :jay-he:

These distant cousins of the true crocodilians were the Sebecids and they primarily lived in South America with their largest member being Barinasuchus, the current joint largest terrestrial predator of the Cenozoic.
14 minute video.
8 minute video.
Wait, Barinasuchus was the joint largest? What the smeg was up there with it? Oh yeah, just you know, another one of these things. :jay-yeah:
14 minute video.
Yup, they recently discovered another one of these monsters that lived in early Cenozoic Europe instead of late Cenozoic South America. :believe:

Oh and just in case you were thinking "Ok but Sebecids were distant relations to true crocodiles, right? So it is not like crocodiles can come back to land to haunt us all?" well then you are dead wrong my optimistic friend. True crocodilians have recently been land crocs too like with the Australian genus Quinkana, which was alive recently enough for Aboriginal Australians to meet.
6 minute video.
Under the right conditions, they could come back. Just saying. :believe:

Besides covering the fact that Earth was almost run by crocodilian overlords, CHimerasuchus also semi-regularly covers a few other topics such as weird Triassic reptiles (e.g. Shringasaurus), Permian synapsids (e.g. Anteosaurus and Gorynychus) and particularly unique dinosaurs like Concavenator and Yutyrannus, the largest confirmed feathered dinosaur.

Here is his short video on Manidens, a peculiarly fanged, feathered, tree climbing dinosaur.
7 minute video.

Oh yeah, you might notice the change in narration between videos. CHimerasuchus hires someone to narrate his videos now. He used to do it himself and had greatly improved over time (his narration in his oldest videos was admittedly poor). Different voice over, same quality paleo content as always. :pepecroc:

Tag list:
@Warchief Sanji D Goat @SakazOuki @Blackbeard @Admiral Maynard @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Monkey D Theories @TheInvincibleKatakuri @God Buggy @FutureWarrior123 @Yo Tan Wa @RayanOO @TheKnightOfTheSea @Kurozumi Bepo @ConquistadoR @Mr. Reloaded @SmokedOut @Blother Fertitta @Shanks @Elder Lee Hung

and a thanks to @NikaInParis for the filler post. Worst Gen will hopefully be freed from that scourge one of these days.:pepapoo:

Last edited:
I heard that we are on the last week of having No Piece. Time to fill this week with some more paleo posting to break up the wait. :araboss:

CHimerasuchus makes videos covering extinct genera and species. What makes him stand out is what he focuses on, the Pseudosuchians and in particular the Crocodylomorphs.

Before CHimerasuchus, I legitimately had no idea how utterly diverse and downright bizarre the crocodilians and their extinct relatives used to be.

What about a fully aquatic marine crocodile larping around as a scaly orca? Guess what? Croc bros got you covered. :denzimote:
You want to see a Madagascan, vegetarian croco-dog with a pug nose that looks like excellent pet material?

The thing that really shocked me upon learning about them from CHimerasuchus though was land crocs. We are currently in fact living in the only period in Earth's history that doesn't have land crocs since the time they first evolved. Not only did they exist but they were highly successful.

How successful?

They went all the way from ankle biting nuisances to straight up apex predators and most shockingly, the largest terrestrial carnivores of the Cenozoic (aka the Age of Mammals). :snoopy:

There is not an emote on this whole site that accurately conveys the absolute shock I felt upon learning that the largest land predators since the time of the dinosaurs were not mammals but long legged crocodiles. Hell, when the skull and teeth of this thing was first found, people legitimately thought for a moment that they discovered a therapod dinosaur lineage that survived the asteroid of the K-Pg mass extinction. :jay-he:

These distant cousins of the true crocodilians were the Sebecids and they primarily lived in South America with their largest member being Barinasuchus, the current joint largest terrestrial predator of the Cenozoic.
14 minute video.
8 minute video.
Wait, Barinasuchus was the joint largest? What the smeg was up there with it? Oh yeah, just you know, another one of these things. :jay-yeah:
14 minute video.
Yup, they recently discovered another one of these monsters that lived in early Cenozoic Europe instead of late Cenozoic South America. :believe:

Oh and just in case you were thinking "Ok but Sebecids were distant relations to true crocodiles, right? So it is not like crocodiles can come back to land to haunt us all?" well then you are dead wrong my optimistic friend. True crocodilians have recently been land crocs too like with the Australian genus Quinkana, which was alive recently enough for Aboriginal Australians to meet.
6 minute video.

Besides covering the fact that Earth was almost run by crocodilian overlords, CHimerasuchus also semi-regularly covers a few other topics such as weird Triassic reptiles (e.g. Shringasaurus), Permian synapsids (e.g. Anteosaurus and Gorynychus) and particularly unique dinosaurs like Concavenator and Yutyrannus, the largest confirmed feathered dinosaur.

Here is his short video on Manidens, a peculiarly fanged, feathered, tree climbing dinosaur.
7 minute video.

Oh yeah, you might notice the change in narration between videos. CHimerasuchus hires someone to narrate his videos now. He used to do it himself and had greatly improved over time (his narration in his oldest videos was admittedly poor). Different voice over, same quality paleo content as always. :pepecroc:

Tag list:
@Warchief Sanji D Goat @SakazOuki @Blackbeard @Admiral Maynard @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Monkey D Theories @TheInvincibleKatakuri @God Buggy @FutureWarrior123 @Yo Tan Wa @RayanOO @TheKnightOfTheSea @Kurozumi Bepo @ConquistadoR @Mr. Reloaded @SmokedOut @Blother Fertitta @Shanks @Elder Lee Hung

and a thanks to @NikaInParis for the filler post. Worst Gen will hopefully be freed from that scourge one of these days.:pepapoo:
W
I can't watch all these videos tho or my data will be empty before July 15:kobeha::josad:

How successful?

14 minute video.
8 minute video.
14 minute video.

6 minute video.

7 minute video.

Tag list:

NGL, When i see Simosuchus i see the combination of Komodo Dragon and Crocodile Lol

Oda shall soon return with that Japanese comic crack that we will all likely either snort up gluttonously or collectively whine about incessantly but until then, I got another paleo post to break up the wait. :araboss:

Next is one of only two channels I have left to highly recommend and a YouTuber whose content I am quite fond of, Dr. Polaris. :lawbepo:

Dr. Polaris is by far the most prolific content creator (and the one with the most consistent posting schedule) out of the channels I have recommended with a whopping 152 videos. :snoopy:

CHimerasuchus and Paleo Analysis by comparison only have 84 and 67 videos respectively. So Dr. Polaris has more videos than those two combined. :catsweat:

As you can imagine, this means that Polaris has covered a staggering number of extinct creatures. He does so in detail too and will happily go through each family and genus within a taxonomic clade from most basal to most derived in order to give a complete overview of the evolutionary history of whatever group of animals is the subject of his video.

While Dr. Polaris will happily cover anything from Paleozoic synapsids to Mesozoic theropods to Triassic weirdos (the Triassic do be like that), what I personally find most thrilling about his channel is that the man is an absolute treasure trove of free information on mammalian evolution, especially on early and obscure groups of placental mammals that either preceded, competed with or gave rise to the successful beasts of today. :pepedoffy:

I will share here some of his shorter videos covering a few of the groups that I greatly enjoyed learning about. :pepecroc:

First up are the Chalicotheres, that time that some cousins of the horse decided "Hey, what if we evolved into some chimaera abomination of horse, sloth and gorilla?". :risicheck:
10 minute video.

Here we got the Raptorial Sperm Whales, the group that produced Livyatan, a great predatory whale that possessed the largest biting teeth of any currently known creature. :believe:
10 minute video.

Phorusrachids, that time South America was plagued by 10 foot tall, hyper carnivorous, killer turkeys. :jay-yeah:
15 minute video.

Oxyaenids, an obscure early group of carnivores that along with Hyaenodonts and Mesonychids, were amongst the first successful group of mammalian predators before the rise of the carnivorans (the order containing cats, dogs, bears etc.).
9 minute video.

Lastly, just for my fellow Kingdom enjoyer @FutureWarrior123 , the good Dr. has a video on your old friends, "Terminator Pig" Entelodonts.:myman:
10 minute video.

Besides this usual content of his, Dr. Polaris also covers peculiar extant creatures, has a speculative evolution series on "What if there was no dinosaur killing asteroid?", the occasional video on paleo art history and numerous videos on cryptozoology. The man has a wide range of interests. :watchout:

Tag list:
@FutureWarrior123 @Admiral Maynard @Shanks @GrandmasterChef Zonji @RayanOO @Blother Fertitta @Blackbeard @Yo Tan Wa @TheKnightOfTheSea @NikaInParis @SakazOuki @God Buggy @Warchief Sanji D Goat @Mr. Reloaded @ConquistadoR @SmokedOut @Kurozumi Bepo @Elder Lee Hung @Monkey D Theories @TheWorldsStrongestManTheInvincibleKatakuri

Moth Light Media
Alright, my last channel recommendation before Oda brings back One Piece and we go back to debating inane, insane, asinine drivel like "Who one shots who in the same tier?" and "but what actually is a one shot anyway?" :jay-yeah:

Saving perhaps the best for last, the final channel I recommend is the channel that introduced me to Paleo YouTubers and reignited my passion for paleontology.

That channel is Moth Light Media.
Moth Light Media is quite the interesting and entertaining channel. Like all the other channels, he covers extinct groups of animals and particularly interesting species.

Such examples include his video on Prototaxites, an ancient fungus that predated forests and grew to the size of a small tree, as well as his video on the evolution of owls, a personal favourite of mine for completely unbiased and totally objective reasons. :pepedoffy:
9 minute video.
10 minute video.
The fact that this video introduced me to Ornimegalonyx (the Cuban Giant Ground Owl), a large, flightless owl 1/2 the height of a full grown man, makes this peak entertainment for me. :pepecroc:

Besides that typical paleo content, MLM will also regularly cover broader topics that concern more than just one particular clade of creatures such as convergent evolution, the evolution of particular body parts (e.g. heart and jaw), why animals are symmetrical and how large animals can get.

Here are a couple of those videos.
10 minute video.
8 minute video.

He also covers narrower but just as interesting topics such as how humans and dogs evolved together as well as the ancient 20 million year old rivalry between cats and dogs.
9 minute video.

It is these more broader ranging videos that separate MLM from the other channels and perhaps makes him the most entertaining out of them all. He covers wide ranging topics, answers interesting questions and does all of this in a concise, easily digestible manner. Out of the channels that I have recommended, he is by far the most popular. Lol.

It also helps that his narration is top notch and he sure knows how to pick some soothing background music. A real entertaining gem of a channel.:pepapoo:

Tags:
@FutureWarrior123 @Admiral Maynard @Blackbeard @Blother Fertitta @SakazOuki @Elder Lee Hung @Shanks @GrandmasterChef Zonji @RayanOO @Yo Tan Wa @TheKnightOfTheSea @NikaInParis @God Buggy @Warchief Sanji D Goat @Mr. Reloaded @ConquistadoR @SmokedOut @Monkey D Theories @TheAncientCenturion @Kurozumi Bepo

Alright, my last channel recommendation before Oda brings back One Piece and we go back to debating inane, insane, asinine drivel like "Who one shots who in the same tier?" and "but what actually is a one shot anyway?" :jay-yeah:

Saving perhaps the best for last, the final channel I recommend is the channel that introduced me to Paleo YouTubers and reignited my passion for paleontology.

Moth Light Media is quite the interesting and entertaining channel. Like all the other channels, he covers extinct groups of animals and particularly interesting species.

Such examples include his video on Prototaxites, an ancient fungus that predated forests and grew to the size of a small tree, as well as his video on the evolution of owls, a personal favourite of mine for completely unbiased and totally objective reasons. :pepedoffy:
9 minute video.
10 minute video.
The fact that this video introduced me to Ornimegalonyx (the Cuban Giant Ground Owl), a large, flightless owl 1/2 the height of a full grown man, makes this peak entertainment for me. :pepecroc:

Besides that typical paleo content, MLM will also regularly cover broader topics that concern more than just one particular clade of creatures such as convergent evolution, the evolution of particular body parts (e.g. heart and jaw), why animals are symmetrical and how large animals can get.

10 minute video.
8 minute video.

He also covers narrower but just as interesting topics such as how humans and dogs evolved together as well as the ancient 20 million year old rivalry between cats and dogs.
9 minute video.

It is these more broader ranging videos that separate MLM from the other channels and perhaps makes him the most entertaining out of them all. He covers wide ranging topics, answers interesting questions and does all of this in a concise, easily digestible manner. Out of the channels that I have recommended, he is by far the most popular. Lol.

It also helps that his narration is top notch and he sure knows how to pick some soothing background music. A real entertaining gem of a channel.:pepapoo:

Tags:
@FutureWarrior123 @Admiral Maynard @Blackbeard @Blother Fertitta @SakazOuki @Elder Lee Hung @Shanks @GrandmasterChef Zonji @RayanOO @Yo Tan Wa @TheKnightOfTheSea @NikaInParis @God Buggy @Warchief Sanji D Goat @Mr. Reloaded @ConquistadoR @SmokedOut @Monkey D Theories @TheAncientCenturion @Kurozumi Bepo

This one sounds the most interesting, I'll check it out!

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars

9 minute video.
10 minute video.

10 minute video.
8 minute video.

9 minute video.

Tags:
But do you think your favorite can one shot my favorite?
:kappa:

Alright so one aspect of the Mass Effect trilogy I love is that all of the alien races evolved from primitive states along certain trajectories based upon advantageous traits.

The Asari for example evolved and progressed by copulating with other races, and so over time all Asari came to resemble hot alien babes as those traits made them more likely to continue copulating with other races. The Protheans evolved to be able to communicate memory and experience simply by touch because their harsh homeworld required them to learn from their environments, etc..

Was watching the “why are animals symmetrical” video and it got me thinking of this lol.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way

Love the Daeodon too, always think it was deadly, horrible and cool.

Andrewsarchus was nice too.

Same for the mega bear the Arctotherieum

This one sounds the most interesting, I'll check it out!
Aye, he is the most interesting and most entertaining. That is why I saved him for last, to end my recommendation list on a high note. Lol.

As much as I enjoy the other channels, the likes of Dr. Polaris and CHimerasuchus can get a little intense at times, especially with the longer videos. Old Dr. P can easily do 20 minute videos if it is a large clade. Lol.

In terms of most entertaining, I would rank them as this:
I) Moth Light Media.
II) Paleo Analysis.
III) The Paleo Professor.
IV) CHimerasuchus.
V) Dr. Polaris.
The prize for "most on the nose name" probably goes to Gigatitan vulgaris, an overgrown Triassic killer cricket found in Kyrgyzstan. :risitexcla:
4 minute video.
Whoever named that thing basically got away with calling a creature the scientific equivalent of "Big-Large McHuge". :shame:

I came across the original content creator and animator Dead Sound over the past couple of days while I was browsing YouTube and looking for something to distract me from my cold.

Not everything he does is dinosaur related but two series of his sure are and that is what matters most. :fransuper:

First up is Dinosauria, a series that looks at dinosaurs in their natural habitats.
3 minute video.
6 minute video.

His other series, which has just picked up steam lately, is Sauria.

Now what is the difference between Dinosauria and Sauria you might ask.:quest:

See the difference is that Dinosauria is dinosaurs doing normal dinosaur stuff which is already pretty cool. :jordanmf:

Sauria however is dinosaurs being ridden by dino-people fighting other dino-people riding dinosaurs in a Medieval style looking fantasy setting. :lumazed:

You heard that right folks. We got dinosaur Game of Thrones! Let's GOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :steef:
3 minute video.
9 minute video.
12 minute video.

Tags:
@Admiral Maynard @Blackbeard @Blother Fertitta @Elder Lee Hung @SakazOuki @FutureWarrior123 @Shanks @RayanOO @Yo Tan Wa @GrandmasterChef Zonji @NikaInParis @God Buggy @TheKnightOfTheSea @Mr. Reloaded @Warchief Sanji D Goat @ConquistadoR @Kurozumi Wiwi @Bepo D. Bear @SmokedOut @Monkey D Theories @TheAncientCenturion